RIP Pele: The Drafts Appreciation thread

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
- Playing with a 10 or 9.5 who can score and assist to maximize Pele's playmaking and goalscoring,
- some runners to stretch out the play so he has more room in the middle,
- and a good mobile hardworking finisher.

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Good thread idea Edgar.

Fantasy Pele side. I actually think a 10 would be bad for Pele as he really liked to drop deep to playmaker even in '66 although you could argue that was because of the lack decent midfielders in the '66 squad.

Here we go an all-time Brazil side built around Pele.

............Pele.......Romario.......
Didi......Zito.......Falcao.......Garrincha
Marcelo..T.Silva...Lucio......D.Alves
.....................Allison..................

Pele's usual suspects from his early career plus extras. Alves might seem a strange choice behind Garrincha but having seen a video GSTQ showed of him he could work as an inverted right-back which would allow Falcao to push higher up. Another option would be C Alberto in that position as he liked being a playmaker from deep.

Super attacking but why not? It's a Brazil side. To increase work-rate you could play Tostao as a false 9 instead of Romario. Not sure who could go RW instead of Garrincha, possibly Dani Alves and put Cafu at RB (a bit like Maicon played). If you relax the Brazil requirement Figo would be perfect

A more boring but balanced option could be this -

...............Tostao......Pele.......
...........Didi.....Zito...Falcao....
Marcelo..Nilton..T.Silva..C.Alberto..D.Alves
........Allison...

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Another idea:

..................Tostao..........
......Pele.........................R9
.............Didi.........Falcao....
......................Zito.................
Marcelo..T.Silva..Lucio..D.Alves
....................Allison............

Himannv

Fantasy Pele side. I actually think a 10 would be bad for Pele as he really liked to drop deep to playmaker even in '66 although you could argue that was because of the lack decent midfielders in the '66 squad.
In most instances when I watch him, I get the impression that he likes to drop deeper, see the game in front of him, and work his way in with a combination of interplay and his own skill. He could play up front as well like R9 if needed I reckon, but his natural game seems to be as a 10 himself with a free license to sometimes be a 9. Or in other words, a free role behind a more dedicated striker.

EDIT: Having said that, he doesn't seem the type of player who would clash with another 10 in the same team or another creative forward or two in the lineup. He seems to have coexisted quite well with all such players he has played with.

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Two more Pele ideas (this time any country) -

Idea 1:

...................Pele...MVB..............
Charlton..Davids...Scholes...Figo
Marcelo..Kohler...Baresi....J.Zanetti
.......................Neuer.....................

Zanetti a little more reserved and also doubling as an inverted right-back. DLP Scholes.

Idea 2:

...................MVB...................
...................Pele.....................
Giggs..Bastian..Der Kaiser..Figo
Krol....Kohler...Baresi....Lahm...
...................Neuer........................

Organised attack (it would clearly be less structured when we go for fast transitions which of course we could)

...............Pele.......MVB..................
Giggs.................................Figo..Lahm
.............Krol..........Der Kaiser
...................Bastian...........................
............Kohler.....Baresi.............

...............Pele.........MVB....................
Krol..Giggs.................................Figo
..............Bastian........Lahm..............
....................Der Kaiser......................
.................Kohler....Baresi...

The attack isn't as rigid as it appears, Pele would have more freedom to roam across the front line and Bastian and Der Kaiser could attack more when the full-back is overlapping on their side - the CMs could become more like AMs at points.

Basic premise one full-back supports the winger when the ball is on that side, and the other goes to LCM/RCM and then one of the CMs drops to DM. This keeps a good strike partnership with variety on the wings. When the ball is lost the inverted full-back goes back to his full-back position, I wanted a CM to remain broadly in the DM position during defensive transition to protect the CBs.

This I think keeps a front two, wingers and a midfield three in possession. I was inspired by Himannv's Beckenbauer side and think this would be an interesting variation which would be brilliant for Pele.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
First of all, I agree with @Himannv that Pele could surely play around a #10. He was so complete I think he'd work in almost any constellation.

But if you want to build around him and maximise his presence, I pretty much agree with this:
I actually think a 10 would be bad for Pele as he really liked to drop deep to playmaker even in '66 although you could argue that was because of the lack decent midfielders in the '66 squad.
In most instances when I watch him, I get the impression that he likes to drop deeper, see the game in front of him, and work his way in with a combination of interplay and his own skill. He could play up front as well like R9 if needed I reckon, but his natural game seems to be as a 10 himself with a free license to sometimes be a 9. Or in other words, a free role behind a more dedicated striker.
So for me it's either him being the offensive hub of the team (like in 60s Santos), or first among equals in a total free-flowing attacking side, where he could play several positions.

Btw, does anyone know if Pele ever played with a dominant attacking #10 à la Maradona/Laudrup? I perceived Didi as more of a creative midfield playmaker in those Brazil teams than a true attacking one. Rivelino was mainly put on the wings (although he roamed), etc.

Last edited: