RIP Walter Smith

SER19

Good friend of Fergies, had a short spell here and by all accounts a giant of the Scottish game. Just 73

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
A giant of Scottish football :( as others have said a good friend of Fergie's and a short role here too, and a great football man. What a shame.

RIP Walter.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Devastated. Was basically our version of Fergie, seen as the father figure of our club for my generation of supporters.

I knew he had a long illness & was pictured with a crowd of celebs including Fergie at a charity golf game a few weeks back, & I hoped he was on the road to recovery, but obviously not.

Rest easy Sir Walter.

Last edited:

padzilla

Hipster
Sad news, deserves all the plaudits in the world for what he built with Rangers and almost taking them to the Champions League final and I say that as a Celtic man.

padzilla

Hipster
Also played a key role as Fergie's assistant when we won the FA Cup in 2004.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Gutted.

The man was an institution. Very rarely does one man represent a club so well, yet at the same time transcends intense club rivalries to command respect across the game. He had that force of personality and set of football values that characterised that great generation of Scottish managers. What he did at Rangers goes without saying, but I also loved the way he brought the country together when taking over Scotland, bringing in Tommy Burns and Ally McCoist, to catapult the national team from 86th in the world all the way up to 13th.

Wee tribute from Darren Fletcher about Walter's stint alongside Ferguson in 2004.

Fletcher said:
Eventually, Walter Smith came in and decided not to give fouls in training. I think the sole purpose was for Ronaldo.

So when Ronaldo was doing his skills, not passing the ball and taking the mick, the lads were fouling him.

For two weeks, Ronaldo was tearing his hair out - and he was going bananas!

What happened after a few weeks? Ronaldo starts moving the ball because he's sick of being kicked.

Now he starts playing one or two-touch and running, now he starts getting more goals and it's clicking in his head, he's having more of an impact on games. That was the beginning of Ronaldo's transition.

RedDevilRoshi

I always liked Walter Smith. He’s held in the same highest regard for me with the rest of the other huge giants in our Scottish game like Jock Stein, Bill Shankly, Sir Matt Busby, Sir Alex Ferguson. A Rangers man through and through but he always seemed to rise above all of the sectarian nonsense amongst the support. His relationship with a Celtic legend like Tommy Burns was testament to that. He and Ally McCoist carried Tommy Burns’ coffin at his funeral, proving all the pure religious hatred between the fans doesn't exist at their level.

Done a phenomenal job with the Scotland national team. When he took over, we were ranked roundabout 85th-90th in the rankings and when he left, we were 13th. I always stand by that if he never left us during our European qualifying campaign to go back to Rangers we would have qualified for Euro 2008 which had a group of ourselves, Ukraine and both World Cup finalists France & Italy in it.

What a man!

R.I.P.

Last edited:

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Great friend of Fergie's and a nice man.

May he rest in peace.