Rise of English Managers in the PL

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It is very refreshing to see the impact that the English managers are beginning to have in the PL. Sheffield United, Brighton, Chelsea and Aston Villa amongst others have made significant starts to their PL careers.
Add to those the more experienced ones at Burnley, Crystal Palace and Bournemouth and we have a larger number of English managers than for many years.
It seems like all the hard work at St Georges centre is improving the standard of young players as well as managers.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Nice to see, we should just get the best for the job though.

Nationality is irrelevant.

That being said I believe it helps teams to have a core of local players. Who have more invested in playing for the club than just a paycheck...

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Nice to see, we should just get the best for the job though.

Nationality is irrelevant.

That being said I believe it helps teams to have a core of local players. Who have more invested in playing for the club than just a paycheck...
I agree with you on both points and especially the best man for the job. But it is increasingly showing that English coaches as well as players are capable of succeeding in the PL. And we can add Gareth Southgate to that list.
Something must be working.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Without time. It shows how football moves in cycles. Brittish managers were once seen as quality standard, Managers like Bobby Robson, John Toshack, Venables, John Mortimore, etc were good shouts because they weren't even that successful back at UK, but the methodology they brought to european leagues was fresh air.

LVGSdive

Graham Potter is going to be the best I believe. The way he has completely changed Brighton's style of play is very impressive even if they don't have the points to show for it. I don't see him being a Brighton too much longer, someone, potentially us, Arsenal or Spurs will be taking him.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Graham Potter is going to be the best I believe. The way he has completely changed Brighton's style of play is very impressive even if they don't have the points to show for it. I don't see him being a Brighton too much longer, someone, potentially us, Arsenal or Spurs will be taking him.
He has certainly made a very good start.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Not for me, all hype beats poor teams, and fails when it matters.
When has he failed though. WC semi finals was a pretty good start. He is far from the finished product. But a very significant improvement on his predecessors.

Ekeke

When has he failed though. WC semi finals was a pretty good start. He is far from the finished product. But a very significant improvement on his predecessors.
Boro, England

Where has he succeeded? England beat the easy teams and lost to the competitive ones in tournament. Outside of tournament we've had a result or two, but outside of tournaments has never been a problem for England. We've always had a few good results outside of the tournament setting leading to all the hype and "England expects" and then we lose against the decent teams in tournaments, just like he did

Fussball13251

I think Frank Lampard will be the best. Wolves 2-5 Chelsea. Goal scoring and chance creation looks improved. They look better without Hazard.

They should have scored 3 or 4 versus Newcastle. Their GF will be close to City's.

5 goals versus Wolves
4 versus Southampton
Should have been 3 or 4 versus Newcastle

Now that they have improved since that 4:0 humiliation spell they can still compete for the league.

On-top of having improved attacking options they also have a prolific forward... Tammy Abraham. This Abraham guy is showing signs of lethal clinical finishing... like Sterling. Dwight Yorkey...

Last edited:

Perseus

I think Frank Lampard will be the best. Wolves 2-5 Chelsea. Goal scoring and chance creation looks improved. They look better without Hazard.

They should have scored 3 or 4 versus Newcastle. Their GF will be close to City's.

5 goals versus Wolves
4 versus Southampton

Now that they have improved since that 4:0 humiliation spell they can still compete for the league.

On-top of having improved attacking options they also have a prolific forward... Tammy Abraham. This Abraham guy is showing signs of lethal clinical finishing... like Sterling. Dwight Yorkey...
Tap in Tammy is lethal from 6 yards. How good is Timmy?

edcunited1878

Boro, England

Where has he succeeded? England beat the easy teams and lost to the competitive ones in tournament. Outside of tournament we've had a result or two, but outside of tournaments has never been a problem for England. We've always had a few good results outside of the tournament setting leading to all the hype and "England expects" and then we lose against the decent teams in tournaments, just like he did
Similar to Coleman at Wales. Circumstances at national level allowed him to be good or better than advertised, then when you go back to club level, which is an entirely different animal...they go back to what they were. Same with Roberto Martinez at Belgium.

A WC where they went 3 at the back then have binned it and have gotten mixed results out of it thus far. Any club he goes to, he will not have Sterling, Kane, Sancho, Rashford, Vardy, etc. as attacking options. He will regress back to his club level, which has been average at best.

LVGSdive

5 goals versus Wolves
4 versus Southampton

Lampard has been very impressive and has also changed Chelsea's style of play in a short period of time and is getting the results to go with it.

For me Potter has done it with much more limited resources. The job he done at Ostersund clearly shows he is a class act.

Al-T

What's interesting about Potter at Brighton is that he has completely altered Brighton's style of play, but the players, most of whom were used to Chris Hughton's tactical style, have very quickly adapted to what he wants and look comfortable in possession. They have switched systems when necessary but again, the players appear to have a clear understanding of their roles and what Potter wants them to do. Their football is fast and aggressive. They are attractive to watch. Last season, you couldn't imagine some of the players he has doing that.

Also, a little like us, he's moved on two strikers, a consistent underperformer in Locadia and a player generally believed to be a bit of a twunt, Andone. With a more consistent finisher, and without the daft red card, they would have comfortably beaten Villa last weekend. If he gets both Trossard and Izquierdo fit and firing they will carry a real threat.

Perseus

What's interesting about Potter at Brighton is that he has completely altered Brighton's style of play, but the players, most of whom were used to Chris Hughton's tactical style, have very quickly adapted to what he wants and look comfortable in possession. They have switched systems when necessary but again, the players appear to have a clear understanding of their roles and what Potter wants them to do. Their football is fast and aggressive. They are attractive to watch. Last season, you couldn't imagine some of the players he has doing that.

Also, a little like us, he's moved on two strikers, a consistent underperformer in Locadia and a player generally believed to be a bit of a twunt, Andone. With a more consistent finisher, and without the daft red card, they would have comfortably beaten Villa last weekend. If he gets both Trossard and Izquierdo fit and firing they will carry a real threat.

The current passing style is rather similar to Poyet at Brighton (successful) but the defence is more like Hyypia (failure). The change is not as dramatic as made out. It could be said that the last injury ravaged season was a step back (a blip) under Houghton. Brighton are not as quick upfront as a few seasons ago.

With Hughton, I thought he improved the defence at the expense of the passing. I just hope Potter does not destroy the defence as doubtless it will be needed at times. Recruitment of players that can score has been below what is required last season. Hence, Glenn Murray had some extra minutes and goals to his career, which may be coming to a close.

If BHA do not get a player sent off, the home game vs Everton could be a sounding board. Don't back it though as Everton may play deep defensive 4-2-3-1 and pinch the game.

Houghton was not dismissed because he was a failure, but because Potter was deemed better. Such is football.

Last edited:

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Boro, England

The English press are always looking for a hero & they embraced Southgate's waistcoats and three at the back philosophy. He was being viewed as an innovator but really is a bit of a flat track bully. His team selection is all over the place & we still don't have a definitive style. Not a success story for me either.