Riyad Mahrez | It's part of the game innit

Great game at the weekend. Still don't think he's ever going to be at his best for us. We're good on the counter but he gets far less opportunities to show his ability than he should when we spend most of our time breaking down the opposition. Still, at least we stopped you lot getting your hands on him :)

I did enjoy his and Gundogan's tweets back and forth regarding Gundogan's howler though.

I do think he's better than Nani was for whatever that's worth but my opinion is also coloured by Nani's later years, I think if your comparing their numbers, it's probably fair to say Nani was playing as part of a much better team than Mahrez has been until joining City, but again maybe I'm misremembering.
I agree I said this in the match thread yesterday, he will have good moments for you like that free kick last night. But I don't think he'll have the effect that KDB, Sterling, B.Silva has, there's something about the way he plays that doesn't really suit City imo.

reddev3

Hate to say I told you so but..I suggested him to this forum as an ideal signing for United when he fell out with Leicester before City came in for him but nobody agreed at the time.
Had an inconsistent season last season while he adapted and was shuffled in and out of the team but looks twice the player now and will start a bunch of games now.
? The vast majority of Utd supports wanted us to sign him.

Renegade

United missed a trick with this lad though the price was steep
We spent the same amount on Fred the same summer though?

Also happily spent £30m on fairly unproven CB’s in Bailey & Lindelof. I don’t think anyone would have raised their eyebrows at the price Mahrez went for.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
United missed a trick with this lad though the price was steep
Was the perfect player and didn’t even attempt it. Just sums up how our manager and Directors got it completely wrong.

AFC NimbleThumb

Apparently Sancho is the only decent winger in world football so I darent give me honest opinion on United not pursuing him.

Absolute stupidity to think the only viable right winger in this summers window or the next is a 19 y/o wonder kid.

Obviously Mahrez is no longer a possibility but there are options in world football & our fanbase are lapping up this ‘young & british’ tripe.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
I agree I said this in the match thread yesterday, he will have good moments for you like that free kick last night. But I don't think he'll have the effect that KDB, Sterling, B.Silva has, there's something about the way he plays that doesn't really suit City imo.
See, following him for much longer than most of any of the posters here, I think that he's going to have this kind of impact this season if he keeps this level of performance. Just watch the highlights of yesterday's game to have an idea of what I'm talking about. He's been one of MCFC's best performers this season and involved in 17 goals in his 17 last appearances. Winning the AFCON with Algeria this summer helped him a lot too.

I briefly went through this thread and stopped reading when people said he's nowhere as good as Nani. His skillset, passing, vision and first touch are amongst the very best in this league, the problem he had was consistency and he's a confidence player. Even then, he only had a bad season with us (2016/17 after winning the title) but the whole team was crap and we lost Kanté. Otherwise he was a game changer for us and we relied on him to unlock packed defenses, since nobody wanted to be torn apart on a counter-attack, our specialty at that time. He was constantly double marked and covered by Simpson, a very good defending FB who would be struck by lightning if he ever crossed the middle line however, yet still delivered most of the time.

Pep wanted a winger who could beat his man, a maverick who brings this bit of street-football, and it was obvious that his first season would be difficult as Mahrez had to relearn everything, coming from a team where he was allowed to do whatever he wanted to, to one where teamplay is above everything else. Every Man City player struggled at first with Pep's tactics, Riyad was no different. His defensive game and work rate have massively improved as well as his teamplay, and I'd say he's now a more complete player than in his Leicester City days. He settled in now, developed a great understanding with KdB and they're going to be a nightmare to defend against for any LB this season.

I'm absolutely dumbfounded that you never went for him, especially given that you're in dire need of a RW for a very long time.

Last edited:

Judas

Open to offers
Jose clearly didn't fancy him sadly, he was on the market for a couple of seasons before City finally bought him. Baffling really, but what do you expect with this club.

Ludens the Red

Great game at the weekend. Still don't think he's ever going to be at his best for us. We're good on the counter but he gets far less opportunities to show his ability than he should when we spend most of our time breaking down the opposition. Still, at least we stopped you lot getting your hands on him :)

I did enjoy his and Gundogan's tweets back and forth regarding Gundogan's howler though.

I do think he's better than Nani was for whatever that's worth but my opinion is also coloured by Nani's later years, I think if your comparing their numbers, it's probably fair to say Nani was playing as part of a much better team than Mahrez has been until joining City, but again maybe I'm misremembering.
Speaking of Gundogan, what is the deal with him? Pep always seems to go for him ahead of others in away games in particular. He’s literally the only City player I watch and can’t work out what the feck he’s meant to be offering to the team. Am I missing something? Criminal that Bernardo and Mahrez are benched so he can start.

Jack - City Fan

Supports
Man City
Speaking of Gundogan, what is the deal with him? Pep always seems to go for him ahead of others in away games in particular. He’s literally the only City player I watch and can’t work out what the feck he’s meant to be offering to the team. Am I missing something? Criminal that Bernardo and Mahrez are benched so he can start.
Im reasonably sure he's seen as a fulchrum like player. Spreads the play and keeps it mostly safe. I have to admit, he's a player I forget we have at times and rarely does he blow me away. Maybe someone with a better eye for the game could give you something more insightful. But I think generally his role is to stay back but also have enough about him to get the ball to Sterling, KDB, Bernardo in dangerous spaces, without taking them up himself. I imagine if we played too many of those 3/4 players who are more dangerous, they'd start to get in each other's way.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I really wanted us to sign him when he was at Leicester.

He doesn't play every game at City, but he'd instantly be one of our best players and play every game IMO.

Speaks volumes about the quality of both squads really.

Andrew Wolf

Supports
Manchester City
He's class. I thought he'd hit the ground running last season coming from the same league but our style of play clearly differs massively from where he thrived at Leicester.

Guardiola trusted him in the last game of the season and the FA Cup Final and I think that's where he turned the corner.

Has been fantastic this season. Has upped his intensity and I think he feels like he belongs now.

Ludens the Red

Im reasonably sure he's seen as a fulchrum like player. Spreads the play and keeps it mostly safe. I have to admit, he's a player I forget we have at times and rarely does he blow me away. Maybe someone with a better eye for the game could give you something more insightful. But I think generally his role is to stay back but also have enough about him to get the ball to Sterling, KDB, Bernardo in dangerous spaces, without taking them up himself. I imagine if we played too many of those 3/4 players who are more dangerous, they'd start to get in each other's way.
But you’ve got Rodrigo for that no? I dunno it seems odd. Last season I thought you looked great when Fernándinho was in there with Silva and Bernardo. Never seemed to cause too much issues. Might just be that he’s a teachers pet sort of player.

Mike Smalling

One of the more underrated players in this City team over the last 3-4 years, I would say. He's streets ahead of Bernardo Silva and Grealish. Yes, it was just Spurs, but he won City that game yesterday. He has everything you would want in a left-footed right-winger - he has pace, he can pass, shoot and dribble, and he goes both ways.

Feels like we missed a trick in not going for him.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Probably the best individual display I've seen in some time yesterday. Outstanding.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
One of the more underrated players in this City team over the last 3-4 years, I would say. He's streets ahead of Bernardo Silva and Grealish. Yes, it was just Spurs, but he won City that game yesterday. He has everything you would want in a left-footed right-winger - he has pace, he can pass, shoot and dribble, and he goes both ways.

Feels like we missed a trick in not going for him.
Grealish is by a distance the worst player in Citeh

IrishRedDevil

And I bet she's still there sitting alone and spending millions, happy as Larry. Its certainly part of the 'game'.