Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Ro-Shaun Williams
Sep 3, 1998 (17)
Manchester

1.84 m

An athletic defender whose sprinting prowess was well known locally, even before he had even made a real mark at Under-18 level.

Local newspapers covered the fact he broke Darren Campbell's 100-metre record at Ashton-upon-Mersey school, which had stood for 25 years, and he is never beaten for pace. Despite looking older, he was still a schoolboy in 2014/15 so did remarkably well to rack up 27 appearances, all but one of them as a starter, more than any of those in his age group. His one goal was one he will savour as it came in the Manchester derby with the Reds running out 5-2 victors.

With Axel Tuanzebe promoted to the Under-21s, he took over the captaincy of the Under-18s but eventually forced himself into Warren Joyce's plans as well, ahead of schedule. By the end of the title-winning season, he had cemented a place in the line-up and began looking the part, gaining experience from partnering the likes of Phil Jones as well as continuing his exceptional partnership with Tuanzebe.

He made 18 starts for Joyce's side and it is remarkable to think he is still eligible for the Academy team in 2016/17, such has been his progress. A quiet individual who is growing in stature on the field, he joined the club from Fletcher Moss as a nine-year-old after being invited to the development centres.

International recognition has been forthcoming with England at Under-18 level and he also competed at the Under-17 World Cup in Chile. "It was a great experience," he said. "It was weird travelling so far but my first World Cup at youth level. We could have done better as we didn’t get out of the group. It was really good to play well but it’s more about the team rather than my own performance."

The future looks very rosy for Williams as he has already twice been named on the bench at senior level - for the home games against West Ham in the FA Cup and Liverpool in the Europa League.

Ro-Shaun Williams said:
Obviously, everyone wants to be a striker as they always get the most attention but I’ve mostly been a defender, I moved to the back when I was young, 10 or 11 maybe. I’m a centre-back who can play right-back sometimes but I usually play in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.