Road Trip Draft II 1st Round: GSTQ vs Gio

Who will win based on all the players at their club career peak as mentioned?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
Welcome to the Road Trip Draft II KO Stage.

Only the club career for the clubs mentioned against player names will be considered for evaluation. No national teams performances count whatsoever.

VS

TEAM GSTQ

Formation - 4-2-3-1
Style of play - Dominate proceedings, defend as a team off the ball, suffocate the opposition midfield.

Tactics :

1. The 3 main attacking threats behind Muller, i.e Joya, Cruyff and Gullit can all roam all over the place and exchange positions at will.
2. All 3 were great dribblers and had tremendous pace.
3. Edwards and Schweinsteiger form a balanced two way midfield which is very difficult to upgrade.
4. Edwards' presence on the left should help containing Garrincha, the opposition's best player
5. The CB's again are from the Cruyff playbook, both were comfortable on the ball, both had tremendous recovery pace, while still being great stoppers too. A truly Hybrid combination.

TEAM GIO

Leagues:
GK: Peter Schmeichel (England)
RB: Javier Zanetti (Italy)
CB: Guiseppe Bergomi (Italy)
CB: Daniel Passarella (Argentina)
LB: Hans-Peter Briegel (West Germany)
DM: Fernando Hierro (Spain)
CM: Johan Neeskens (Holland)
CM: Didi (Brazil)
RW: Garrincha (Brazil)
LW: Dragan Dzajic (France)
CF: Sandor Kocsis (Spain)

GETTING THE BEST OUT OF PASSARELLA

1. Place a holding midfielder experienced in defence with the tactical nous and decision-making ability to drop into the back line when required.

2. Ensure the left-back is not a winger in disguise and has the ability and instincts to tuck into the centre of the defence.
  3. Goal machine Passarella was a huge threat in the attacking third from set-pieces - either rifling them in himself or thumping home towering headers. Two tricky wingers who can win corners, free-kicks and provide a steady stream of crosses are what he needs.

TAKING CONTROL OF MIDFIELD
Johan Neeskens and Didi will take the game to the opposition. Freed up by Fernando Hierro holding the forte, who comes in for his ball-spraying ability as much as his defensive acumen, both players can push on and provide the wingers with the steady stream of service they want. Didi will renew his all-conquering partnership with Garrincha. It's the sort of midfield Cruyff won't enjoy playing against as it's likely to take hold of the majority of the ball to feed that attack.

STEAM TRAIN DOWN THE RIGHT FLANK
Garrincha and Zanetti pair up to boss it. Inside Neeskens is arguably the best possible elite central midfielder suited to supporting the right flank, while Bergomi offers similarly solid credentials at the back.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
@Gio Which leagues are your players representing?
Since the image doesn't have it mentioned, I'll start with Dzajic.

This is the 30+ year old version of him who played in Ligue 1 for Bastia.

And while his stint was a success, that was no where near his peak. He had lost a lot of his speed by then.

Luckily enough, there is a match compilation of him from that time.

Watch the video forgetting that you are watching Dzajic and decide if you'd rank him as a a top 10 winger of all time.

Edit: This might be a national team game, but his physical state would have been the same.

Last edited:

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
@Moby you've asked people to vote based on the club performances of the players, but there is no club assigned to any players. Obviously playing managers will know what clubs a player was picked for etc, but people dropping by might not know for some of them.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
@Moby you've asked people to vote based on the club performances of the players, but there is no club assigned to any players. Obviously playing managers will know what clubs a player was picked for etc, but people dropping by might not know for some of them.
It’s in Gio’s writeup.

GodShaveTheQueen

STEAM TRAIN DOWN THE RIGHT FLANK
Garrincha and Zanetti
pair up to boss it.
I have never seen Garrincha link up with a right back in an attacking sense. I don't think it would have mattered if you played Zanetti or Djalma there.

GodShaveTheQueen

Before I get into my biggest criticism of Gio's team, I'd like to finish the one last relatively smaller criticism I had.

Kocsis as a lone striker for me hardly gets the best out of him without a supporting striker or a goal scoring No.10 (No, Didi was not the kind of player I am talking about here)

He has played all his life at all his clubs in such setups be it in La Liga or Hungary.

I won't go as far as saying its not workable, but I dont think it gets the best out of him.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Before I get into my biggest criticism of Gio's team, I'd like to finish the one last relatively smaller criticism I had.

Kocsis as a lone striker for me hardly gets the best out of him without a supporting striker or a goal scoring No.10 (No, Didi was not the kind of player I am talking about here)

He has played all his life at all his clubs in such setups be it in La Liga or Hungary.

I won't go as far as saying its not workable, but I dont think it gets the best out of him.

What do you think he misses from? A man to link with near him or do you think he lacks physical presence to be a lone front man in this kind of setup?

Also is there much difference between the Honved and Barca Puskas? @Gio

GodShaveTheQueen

What do you think he misses from? A man to link with near him or do you think he lacks physical presence to be a lone front man in this kind of setup?
I don't think he lacks the physical presence. He's do just about fine as a lone striker.

A man to constantly link with is what is missing

Kocsis was way more than a player with a leaping header. If you'd notice, he is quite often placed as the inside right in the Hungary and Barcelona setups as well.

You take the constant linking up in the final third part away and you don't get the best out of Kocsis.

He was never really just a target man.

Moby

Dick
Since clubs could be multiple, we have managers mention country/league for the player picked which was the draft theme. In GSTQ team sheet you can see that the countries are mentioned and you have to check the performance when that player was playing for a club in that country. Club performances only.

Gio had some technical issues due to which we made an exception and the countries are mentioned in the write up.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I don't think he lacks the physical presence. He's do just about fine as a lone striker.

A man to constantly link with is what is missing

Kocsis was way more than a player with a leaping header. If you'd notice, he is quite often placed as the inside right in the Hungary and Barcelona setups as well.

You take the constant linking up in the final third part away and you don't get the best out of Kocsis.

He was never really just a target man.
That makes sense

GodShaveTheQueen

Okay, time to get into my biggest criticism of team Gio. Its this area of the pitch.

1. Firstly, with a GOAT playmaker like Cruyff who was mobile as feck, Hierro is in instant mismatch. But lets moves past the obvious.
2. You have Hierro in a false CB role here where he has to cover for Passarella. He already has Cruyff to keep an eye on which he won't be fully able to dedicate himself to with this tactic. Lets not forget not being that mobile/agile defensively was a weakness in Hierro's game.
3. Now, one would argue you also have Briegel covering for Passarella. But the problem with that is he not only has Gullit waiting on that side of the flank, he also has Gerets who wouldn't miss an opportunity to double up on him. Could Briegel really afford to leave that flank?
4. In fact, I would be worried for Briegel even if he had a defensive CB there instead of Passarella. Who exactly is helping him in 2 vs 1 situations against Gullit and Gerets? Dzajic won't help him and neither will Didi (yea Didi had some work rate in midfield but it was not the kind where he'd constantly cover for a FB)
5. Both Briegel and Hierro already look like they have their hands full and to assign them more tasks to cover for Passarella would not just leave them short of numbers but would spoil the shape of the defense to no ends which is suicidal against a team operated by Johan Cruyff of all people.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

The only point you're making there is that teams were more attacking in the 1950s. I'm not sure if it stands up to scrutiny. It's like saying Pele and Puskas can only play in 4 or 5 man attacks.

There's nothing in Kocsis' armoury to suggest he'd be unable to play in the middle of a front three. In fact with his all-round game, physical presence and aerial ability, the guy looks custom designed to play in the middle of three wingers. And both Didi and Neeskens are brilliant at bringing their forwards into play.

GodShaveTheQueen

The only point you're making there is that teams were more attacking in the 1950s. I'm not sure if it stands up to scrutiny. It's like saying Pele and Puskas can only play in 4 or 5 man attacks.
How is playing in 4 man attacks a 1950's thing? Most teams in a 4-2-3-1 are 4 man attacks. Playing in 5 man attacks in a 1950's thing.,

And lets not say I said he can only play in 4 or 5 man attacks. I have already mentioned he is workable and fine multiple times.

What I say is it doesn't get the best out of him. You don't need to play him in a 5 man attack for that. A 4 man attack would be just fine and pretty modern IMO.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Since clubs could be multiple, we have managers mention country/league for the player picked which was the draft theme. In GSTQ team sheet you can see that the countries are mentioned and you have to check the performance when that player was playing for a club in that country. Club performances only.

Gio had some technical issues due to which we made an exception and the countries are mentioned in the write up.
Ah ok I've not followed the draft so thought it was specific clubs not the league in general

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
HOW GOOD WAS DZAJIC AT BASTIA?

Craig McCracken in the Versed said:
In 1972 Bastia reached a first Coupe de France Final and qualified for the Cup Winners Cup despite losing to league champions and European Cup-bound Marseille. The ongoing upward trajectory of the club raised ambitions and raised the desire to bring in a glamour signing to attract more fans to home fixtures. And so, in 1975, arrived the biggest name in the club’s history: Dragan Džajic.

Now 29, Džajic had starred on the left-wing for Red Star and Yugoslavia for more than a decade and had been long-considered as the best player in Eastern Europe. His skills were legendary: great crosses and passes, unstoppable dribbling with great pace, natural technique and some of the best left footed free-kicks ever seen.

France was a happy home for Yugoslav players of that generation and this proved no exception for Džajic who settled in quickly to his new life. He earned the nickname of ‘the magic Dragan’ and was Bastia’s outstanding player for the next two seasons, scoring 31 goals and tormenting every defence he came up against.

His second season was especially profitable. With the talented Zimako on the opposite wing, centre forward Francois Felix alongside him and French international midfielder Claude Papi behind him, this fine attacking quartet scored 82 goals en route to a third-placed Ligue 1 finish – Bastia’s best ever.
McCraken in The Versed]
  • He scored 31 goals in 56 league games. Exceptional for a winger. His assist stats would be off the charts going on the PSG performance below.
  • He inspired Bastia to their highest ever finish in Ligue Un, coming third.
  • GSTQ said he was 30+ and slow - citing a video from an international tournament where he was one of the best players causing Berti Vogts all sorts of problems, getting nominated in the Team of the Tournament. Au contraire, he joined at his peak at 29 and left at 31.
Here's highlights from his dismantling of PSG for Bastia. Some performance. Love the Bastia chairman at the end going on about how great it was to get one over PSG and their big wage budget. Plus ca change.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Dzajic criticism is fair. When we think of his best form, it’s definitely around late 60’s - 1968 to be precise. But he was still a great player at the 1976 Euros, which would be right in the middle of his French spell. I’d like to hear a bit more on that if possible (edit: Gio already made the post).

I also prefer Kocsis with someone else centrally, well, someone more forward-ish than Didi, his link up was brilliant and it was a big part of his game. I've seen a few who headed the ball with the same power and accuracy, but I never saw anyone using their heading for linking up as effectively as he did.

And Zanetti is a bit redundant with Garrincha — I've said it multiple times when those two were paired together. Not that it takes anything from Garrincha or Zanetti isn't capable of playing a more reserved role.

That said, without all those criticisms in my head, Gio would've won it already. Chumpitaz (whom I rate slightly below the public opinion of him) is definitely not the type of a center back that I would want to face Kocsis — or the advancing Passarella. The latter one may quite easily be the match-winner here — with McGrath covering Kocsis his late run can confuse the hell out of the opponent's defence.

The dangers of rampaging Passarella for his own defense are often overblown, but Müller - Cruyff - Gullit are absolute geniuses at finding free space and exploiting it. If anyone can punish that well-thought covering system that Gio had created here, it's them.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Compared to these team, I'm sure I deserve a R1 exist. Brilliant.

Nothing obvious to nitpick with either team, but I have a partial preference to GSTQ. His midfield and attack is so cohesive and dynamic...just perfect. With Cruyff and Gullit able to operate on the Inside, I believe they would have the advantage in a quick counter.

harms

Staff
Wow, I've started writing this post straight when the thread came up on my phone and left it for a while before finally sending it in, but @GodShaveTheQueen addressed pretty much the same issues almost word for word. We rarely agree on so much :)

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
1. Firstly, with a GOAT playmaker like Cruyff who was mobile as feck, Hierro is in instant mismatch. But lets moves past the obvious.
2. You have Hierro in a false CB role here where he has to cover for Passarella. He already has Cruyff to keep an eye on which he won't be fully able to dedicate himself to with this tactic. Lets not forget not being that mobile/agile defensively was a weakness in Hierro's game.
3. Now, one would argue you also have Briegel covering for Passarella. But the problem with that is he not only has Gullit waiting on that side of the flank, he also has Gerets who wouldn't miss an opportunity to double up on him. Could Briegel really afford to leave that flank?
4. In fact, I would be worried for Briegel even if he had a defensive CB there instead of Passarella. Who exactly is helping him in 2 vs 1 situations against Gullit and Gerets? Dzajic won't help him and neither will Didi (yea Didi had some work rate in midfield but it was not the kind where he'd constantly cover for a FB)
5. Both Briegel and Hierro already look like they have their hands full and to assign them more tasks to cover for Passarella would not just leave them short of numbers but would spoil the shape of the defense to no ends which is suicidal against a team operated by Johan Cruyff of all people.
I don't really buy any of that to be honest.
  1. Yes, it might look better from a 1v1 perspective if I'd plonked [insert identikit DM holder with limited ability on the ball] into the anchor position. But Hierro's defensive reputation is affected partly by playing for years past his peak at CB alongside relatively poor partners like Campo, Pavon, even Helguera. Cruyff was mobile, but so was Ronaldo and Hierro famously shut him out in a title-deciding La Liga El Classico in 1996/97. Hierro in his 20s could play anywhere on the park, contributed in both boxes and generally just bossed things all over.
  2. More importantly Hierro is perfect for giving us the platform to control the midfield. His passing range and vision is top notch, while his ability as a world class CB in his own right makes him a perfect partner for Passarella. With Didi and Neeskens ahead, I expect us to control the midfield in a way that will frustrate Cruyff who never really played in a counter-attacking possession-light set-up. It is against what he stands for.
  3. Now Cruyff loved to pull left and drop into that inside-left channel. Here we have Bergomi and Zanetti patrolling the right hand side of the defence, with Neeskens ahead. That's a bulletproof axis.
  4. Having players who were comfortable in defence and midfield isn't a weakness as you're trying to depict - it's a strength. It allows us to be fluid and responsive. Against Cruyff whose movement often flitted between midfield and defence, players with Passarella, Hierro, Bergomi and Zanetti's instincts are just the ticket.
  5. Stylistically, Briegel is a solid fit up against the young Dutch league Gullit [see what I did there? ;)). As a former decathlete and all-round man mountain, he's one of the few LB/CBs who would have the necessary physicality and dynamism to match up to Gullit.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
And Zanetti is a bit redundant with Garrincha — I've said it multiple times when those two were paired together. Not that it takes anything from Garrincha or Zanetti isn't capable of playing a more reserved role.
Said it myself at times too. Depends on the set-up though. Part of the reason for the 4-3-3 here is to give as much space for Garrincha to do his thing carving up Nilton. But I wanted a balanced full-back behind him, rather than just a converted CB, because a full-back who can contribute to us dominating the game on the ball is hugely valuable in the modern game. A defence of four CBs tends to be a safer bet in draft games, but we need players who can contribute all over the park. In this case, Garrincha would keep the width, while Zanetti would underlap when he found the right opportunity to do so. Zanetti's ability on the ball and comfort in midfield really lends itself to him attacking different channels rather than just the traditional outside-right one.

Look how many of these runs are him storming into central channels. Not like many typical overlapping full-backs who would invariably go down the outside (which he could obviously do brilliantly as well). He had a great left peg on him too which also allowed him to cut inside and shoot.

GodShaveTheQueen

Wow, I've started writing this post straight when the thread came up on my phone and left it for a while before finally sending it in, but @GodShaveTheQueen addressed pretty much the same issues almost word for word. We rarely agree on so much :)
You could have saved me a lot of trouble by posting that earlier :lol:

But I am still baffled at a couple of your points

That said, without all those criticisms in my head, Gio would've won it already.
I don't think his team trounces mine in quality at all. You make it sound like there is a significant difference quality wise or tactically which is really surprising.

All this while the biggest mismatch anywhere across the pitch is Cruyff against Hierro.

The dangers of rampaging Passarella for his own defense are often overblown, but Müller - Cruyff - Gullit are absolute geniuses at finding free space and exploiting it. If anyone can punish that well-thought covering system that Gio had created here, it's them
The well thought out part completely leaves the lack of support for Briegel on the left (from Dzajic or Didi) when he is already 2 vs 1.

If you want him to tuck in, there should be someone covering for him, at least partially.

And this is something which won't be exposed by just my team, any team with a quality right flank would do that.

That left side of the pitch at least in my eyes is not functional and will crack open constantly.

GodShaveTheQueen

Cruyff was mobile, but so was Ronaldo and Hierro famously shut him out in a title-deciding La Liga El Classico in 1996/97
You don't need to be mobile to shut down Ronaldo and here is why.

He is a dribbler who will take the ball and run at you at blistering pace.

If positioning and tackling are your strengths, you can stop him without being mobile too.

Take Blanc for example. He wasn't too mobile too, but the traits I mentioned above is what made him great and stop even the best.

Now Cruyff is completely different from Ronaldo.

He is not a direct runner who will take the ball and just run at you.

He will look for space and take it to all areas of the pitch. He will even take it deeper if he wants to and create plays from there. There will of course be times when he will dribble directly if he wishes, but the style of play of a free playmaker like Cruyff is very different from a direct runner like Ronaldo.

If you are not mobile, you can still stop Ronaldo in his tracks.

But if you are not mobile enough against Cruyff, he will do as he wishes from whichever part of the pitch he wants to and finds space to run into.

Hierro's job should be to constantly be under his nose and that is not his game by any stretch of imagination.

I made a post about proactive and reactive players when Di Stefano faced Ocwirk in one of my earlier games. The same is valid here.

You can have a reactive player against R9

But against Cruyff, you need a proactive one. Or else its a lost cause.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The well thought out part completely leaves the lack of support for Briegel on the left (from Dzajic or Didi) when he is already 2 vs 1.

If you want him to tuck in, there should be someone covering for him, at least partially.

And this is something which won't be exposed by just my team, any team with a quality right flank would do that.

That left side of the pitch at least in my eyes is not functional and will crack open constantly.
I don't really get this fantasy picture where Passarella, Didi and Dzajic are sitting on the edge of your box swapping stories about how good it is to get one over the Dutch, meanwhile at the other end Briegel is doing 8m long jumps trying to single-handedly close down Gerets, Gullit, Muller and Cruyff at the same time.

That won't happen and the biggest mismatch down that entire flank is Dragan Dzajic giving Eric Gerets twisted blood.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
You don't need to be mobile to shut down Ronaldo and here is why.

He is a dribbler who will take the ball and run at you at blistering pace.

If positioning and tackling are your strengths, you can stop him without being mobile too.

Take Blanc for example. He wasn't too mobile too, but the traits I mentioned above is what made him great and stop even the best.

Now Cruyff is completely different from Ronaldo.

He is not a direct runner who will take the ball and just run at you.

He will look for space and take it to all areas of the pitch. He will even take it deeper if he wants to and create plays from there. There will of course be times when he will dribble directly if he wishes, but the style of play of a free playmaker like Cruyff is very different from a direct runner like Ronaldo.

If you are not mobile, you can still stop Ronaldo in his tracks.

But if you are not mobile enough against Cruyff, he will do as he wishes from whichever part of the pitch he wants to and finds space to run into.

Hierro's job should be to constantly be under his nose and that is not his game by any stretch of imagination.

I made a post about proactive and reactive players when Di Stefano faced Ocwirk in one of my earlier games. The same is valid here.

You can have a reactive player against R9

But against Cruyff, you need a proactive one. Or else its a lost cause.
Interesting post. The proactive vs reactive point is a good one.

GodShaveTheQueen

• More importantly Hierro is perfect for giving us the platform to control the midfield. His passing range and vision is top notch, while his ability as a world class CB in his own right makes him a perfect partner for Passarella. With Didi and Neeskens ahead, I expect us to control the midfield in a way that will frustrate Cruyff who never really played in a counter-attacking possession-light set-up. It is against what he stands for.
Controlling midfield is a two way street. You can't just say you will hold onto the ball for 90 mins.

I have Edwards and Bastian who were masters of breaking play in midfield. And they were complete enough to hold onto the ball.

Add Cruyff and Gullit there and that is a hell of a midfield to hold onto the ball.

Now lets see at your end.

Neeskens was an attacking B2B. He had defensive traits too but not at the level of Bastian or Edwards.

Didi had just about the same amount of workrate as Cruyff.

And Hierro is clearly the worst midfielder among the 6.

Your team doesn't have enough legs to win the ball back. And that is not how midfields are controlled.

As I said, controlling midfield is a two way street. Has to be efficient both with and without the ball.

Yours is not without the ball.

GodShaveTheQueen

I don't really get this fantasy picture where Passarella, Didi and Dzajic are sitting on the edge of your box swapping stories about how good it is to get one over the Dutch, meanwhile at the other end Briegel is doing 8m long jumps trying to single-handedly close down Gerets, Gullit, Muller and Cruyff at the same time.

That won't happen and the biggest mismatch down that entire flank is Dragan Dzajic giving Eric Gerets twisted blood.
That is a risk one has to always acknowledge with Passarella. He wasn't like other liberos. Once he went ahead, he would go gung ho till the opposition box and there was always a chance of being caught out on counters.

Now of course it can be covered for and Briegel is capable enough of that but you don't have anyone covering the space left by Briegel. That is a problem.

I see you won't acknowledge it and I wont obviously back down. Lets see what the neutrals have to say on it.

Regarding Dzajic giving Gerets twisted blood, I love Dzajic too much to say he won't have any influence here but I think a slow aged Dzajic would be contained well enough by Gerets who wasn't a defensive nut. In fact, even on the counters, peak Gerets would have enough time to catch a slow Dzajic. There is a reason why everyone including you added him in their Top 10 right backs of all time ;)

GodShaveTheQueen

• Having players who were comfortable in defence and midfield isn't a weakness as you're trying to depict - it's a strength. It allows us to be fluid and responsive. Against Cruyff whose movement often flitted between midfield and defence, players with Passarella, Hierro, Bergomi and Zanetti's instincts are just the ticket.
Against a constantly interchanging attack like mine where all three of Joya, Gullit and Cruyff roam at will, I completely disagree with you that fluidity is a strength.

Its as big a weakness as it gets.

The whole point of Zonal marking getting invented was to deal with fluid attacks. If you run after a fluid attack with a fluid defense and midfield of yours own, you will make it even more easier for the opposition with constant spaces opening up.

You need a constant organized setup where every one covers their zones irrespective of which attacker comes there.

GodShaveTheQueen

Stylistically, Briegel is a solid fit up against the young Dutch league Gullit [see what I did there? ;)).
Actually I don't see what you did there.

Gullit was in PSV till 1986-87 season. Moved to Milan in summer of 87 and four months later won the Ballon Dor on the back of his ridiculously good performances at PSV (where he scored 46 goals in 68 games across two seasons). He wasn't even playing like the striker and made a ton of assists.

So yea, I actually see what you did there, but what you did there is factually wrong :)

harms

Staff
I don't think his team trounces mine in quality at all. You make it sound like there is a significant difference quality wise or tactically which is really surprising.

All this while the biggest mismatch anywhere across the pitch is Cruyff against Hierro.
As I said, the first thing that I saw was Chumpitaz against a team that is set up for a cross-and-shoot game with GOAT personnel to do that. And I still think that it's the most obvious route to goal.

Although the seeming difference in quality between Joya and Dzajic is non-existent (if not even an advantage to you, given the club peak), and I won't lie that from the first glance it didn't seem that way.

GodShaveTheQueen

I have a meeting in 12 mins, if anyone has any comments, bring it on.

I'll type the crap out of you :lol:

GodShaveTheQueen

As I said, the first thing that I saw was Chumpitaz against a team that is set up for a cross-and-shoot game with GOAT personnel to do that. And I still think that it's the most obvious route to goal.
With one striker to aim for with a tall and physical Paul Mcgrath there to mark him.

Lets not forget Kocsis was not that tall too, not even 6 feet (5'9 I think) but had a great leap.

Now Chumpitaz was shorter but still from what I know was really physical and had a great leap himself.

He is not marking Kocsis, Mcgrath is, but there is no way Captain America is getting pushed aside like that.

I didn't respond to your Chumpitaz bit because you didn't question him tactically, you just don't rate him high enough and I never respond to these posts because its everyones personal opinion and you got to respect that.

Its your other two points that I mentioned which baffled me.

harms

Staff
With one striker to aim for with a tall and physical Paul Mcgrath there to mark him.

Lets not forget Kocsis was not that tall too, not even 6 feet (5'9 I think) but had a great leap.

Now Chumpitaz was shorter but still from what I know was really physical and had a great leap himself.

He is not marking Kocsis, Mcgrath is, but there is no way Captain America is getting pushed aside like that.
Yeah, but Chumpitaz was 5'5. As I said, it's not only Kocsis, it's also Passarella — both are one of the best headers of all-time regardless of their height. Chumpitaz was adequate.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Against a constantly interchanging attack like mine where all three of Joya, Gullit and Cruyff roam at will, I completely disagree with you that fluidity is a strength.
I think you're using interchanging and fluidity as buzz words here. Most of your team is pretty rigidly fixed to their roles. In fact we can safely predict the movement and position at any one time of everyone bar Cruyff and Gullit.