Rob Dawson ESPN: Solskjaer tells players he wants to implement a more attacking 4-3-3 this season.

Highfather_24

:lol: :lol:

It’s Ole I think we all knew it would be.

But knowing Ole he’s waiting for the first team to come back.
What's ironic is when Ole came he played his first season in a 4-3-3. Only in his second season he moved to a 4-2-3-1. Carrick in an interview explained that it was because if we had one sitter in a 4-3-3 that player could easily be marked out, but if you had 2 sitting players, its easier to move the ball forward.

Mainoldo

What's ironic is when Ole came he played his first season in a 4-3-3. Only in his second season he moved to a 4-2-3-1. Carrick in an interview explained that it was because if we had one sitter in a 4-3-3 that player could easily be marked out, but if you had 2 sitting players, its easier to move the ball forward.
Okay well it’s shame they never realised it doesn’t really matter with Fred and McTominay as both can’t pass.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
One of my mad bastard plans for him will come true. I said CDM or Centre-Back would be more suited for him.

Can I come on the pod and gloat if this comes to fruition @Rood ??
As DM sure - because it's never going to happen!

CB in a 3 is possible, can't see it long term though

Will Singh

I think he’s not getting a DM so will downgrade Bruno from practically playing as a 2nd striker to a more CM role and this will also shoehorn Pogba who’s a defensive liability. If he doesn’t sign a proper DM then our midfield will be the same as last season (crap) with Bruno playing deeper meaning less goals!

MattofManchester

The real reason this has become a thread, is because everyone is trying to figure out how they can fit Pogba and Bruno into the same midfield. :houllier:

Else, if he's leaving, what reason would there be to reinvent the midfield structure?

I think if we had to try this, the Madrid setup of Casemiro - Kroos - Modric would be a decent blueprint to follow.
However, they also have the world's best DM and two decent to hardworking CMs.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The real reason this has become a threat, is because everyone is trying to figure out how they can fit Pogba and Bruno into the same midfield. :houllier:

Else, if he's leaving, what reason would there be to reinvent the midfield structure?
Push Rashford and Sancho further up. It makes sense, Bruno is equally good as a second striker or just advanced midfielder. Gives us better balance and less Bruno centric as a 10 and wide forwards playing too deep.

It's a good idea, though I don't think it's something that will work with Pogba and Bruno together in midfield.

MattofManchester

Push Rashford and Sancho further up. It makes sense, Bruno is equally good as a second striker or just advanced midfielder. Gives us better balance and less Bruno centric as a 10 and wide forwards playing too deep.

It's a good idea, though I don't think it's something that will work with Pogba and Bruno together in midfield.
We already play this in the current setup. Most notably post lockdown between Rashford, Martial and Greenwood, Bruno the 10 and McFred(sometimes Pogba) behind them.
It's less noticeable now because Rashford borders on cripple status when playing with regard to his movement, and Greenwood perhaps does it a little too early and comes in too central or he stays wide and both him and AWB end up next to each other.
It doesn't help that we've struggled with finding space last season.
However, they're still expected to be that advanced with the full backs offering width and McFred providing the cover.

Hence, I don't think the 4-3-3 would benefit us in that regard.
It also makes us more reliant on passing quality and positional sense, which many of our players seem to have a problem with.

Unless we're trying to find a fit for Paul(like you, I don't think Bruno - Pogba can work), there's really no reason to change it up just yet.

Valencia Shin Crosses

We already play this in the current setup. Most notably post lockdown between Rashford, Martial and Greenwood, Bruno the 10 and McFred(sometimes Pogba) behind them.
It's less noticeable now because Rashford borders on cripple status when playing with regard to his movement, and Greenwood perhaps does it a little too early and comes in too central or he stays wide and both him and AWB end up next to each other.
It doesn't help that we've struggled with finding space last season.
However, they're still expected to be that advanced with the full backs offering width and McFred providing the cover.

Hence, I don't think the 4-3-3 would benefit us in that regard.
It also makes us more reliant on passing quality and positional sense, which many of our players seem to have a problem with.

Unless we're trying to find a fit for Paul(like you, I don't think Bruno - Pogba can work), there's really no reason to change it up just yet.
I disagree, I think Bruno- Pogba as part of a three man midfield works fine if Bruno can manage to stay connected to the other two instead of drifting next to whoever we are playing up top and turning it into a 4-2-4 like he's tended to do. We already saw post lockdown how effective it was, and sure maybe against a Man City we go more conservative but against most teams this is our best option to blow teams away with quality. It's all dependent on Bruno though, because he has to be willing to play in the middle third more both on and off the ball, which will hurt his stats but make us much more dynamic on the ball with our spacing.

PoTMS

Think we should try 6 at the back as we still seem to be leaking goals.