Robert Lewandowski 2019/20 performances

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
All three highest scorers in the UCL this year were Bundesliga players as well.

All with a better goal/game ratio than they have in the league. The Bundesliga does miss a 2nd powerhouse that can challenge Bayern, but it's not at all an easy league to score lots of goals in. There's a reason why Gerd Muller is the last Bundesliga player to win the golden boot in 1972, almost 50 years ago.

Even back to back Ballon d'Or winning Karl Heinz Rummenigge couldn't do it, whilst in La Liga players like Falcao, Forlan, Suarez are scoring 30-40 goals and picking up Golden Boots left and right.

Yes they miss a 2nd giant in that league but it's overall not at all an easy scoring weak league. Fair TV money distribution is probably the reason for that.
Is the golden boot even adjusting for our league which is four matchdays short of all the others? I genuinely don't know.

I'm not clicking that. In fact, I will pretend it doesn't exist.

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
I really don't agree.

Firstly Lewandowski literally carried Bayern when they were coached by Kovac. I think many people forget how bad they were under Kovac, and how Lewandowski constantly bailed them out.

Also, Mandzukic did indeed win the CL with Bayern, but was not one of their star players. Offensively that Bayern had prime Ribery and Robben, probably the two best wingers in modern times. Also a prime Lahm, Schweinsteiger to support them.
The current Bayern has Lewandowski as their star player. And besides scoring goals, Lewandowski is an extremely good team player.

Also Lewandowski for Poland is pretty much their best player ever for the NT despite not having great support there.

I'm very certain any of Kane, Aubameyang or Haaland couldn't do anything close to what Lewandowski did this year.
Thank you for responding. I have to mention the fact that Lewandowski also played under Ancelotti and Guardiola, I don't think we should just cherry-pick the seasons which fit our interpretation. If we look at his performances over the course of his Bayern career, there's still questions left unanswered:

1. How did other strikers post similar Bundesliga numbers to Lewa but with far weaker teams? There's no reason to assume that Suarez, RVP, Kane, Haaland, Auba etc. and a whole host of other strikers in his position wouldn't hit the same numbers. I've shown the numbers for Auba and Haaland. If you genuinely think other strikers couldn't do what Lewandowski is doing, could you mention what technical factors would prevent them?

2. Why did he struggle in the Champions League latter stages for 4 straight seasons despite having a solid coach and a solid team around him for most of that time? The whole point of a special striker is to lift a team when they need their star man. That simply hasn't happened. Only when the team plays well, does Lewa play well. This is why Bayern's fanbase wanted him out, if you don't believe me, check out the two Bayern forums I was a member of, their past content. They considered him too reliant on Bayern's overall performance and not capable of individually lifting the team. It's only this year that he's considered legendary status which is ironically the year that the entire team plays well.

That is like saying Neuer isn't all that special because of the team he's playing in.
I think both players, Lewa and Neuer enable the team to play the way they do.
Lewa biggest strength is to receive an imperfect (too hard, not precise enough etc.) pass under extreme pressure (he often is shielded by 2-3 defenders), get it under control and then process it (pass or execute a shot on goal) at the highest speed. In that regard, he is hands down the best on the planet currently, and that's his main contribution *even ahead* of his finishing qualities.
Interesting ok. But do you really think the other strikers I mentioned wouldn't be capable of that? I mean, Lewandowski appears to play well when the team is playing well, would you dispute that?

I think he's different to Neuer, Neuer is integral at keeping out goals and distributing the play. Not many goalkeepers could do what Neuer is doing, whereas my contention is that many strikers could do what Lewandowski is doing. Bayern fans seem to agree for the past 4 seasons, I noticed you're a Bayern fan. What do you think of the criticism that Lewandowski was receiving in the Bayern forums for the past 4 years?

To Bubz27:

Wow. I will pretend that I didn't just see that Lewandowski video! :lol:

Last edited:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
What a way to emphasise a shit post.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Is the golden boot even adjusting for our league which is four matchdays short of all the others? I genuinely don't know.

I heard FIFA saw that and cancelled the Balon d'Or.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
I think he's different to Neuer, Neuer is integral at keeping out goals and distributing the play. Not many goalkeepers could do what Neuer is doing, whereas my contention is that many strikers could do what Lewandowski is doing. Bayern fans seem to agree for the past 4 seasons, I noticed you're a Bayern fan. What do you think of the criticism that Lewandowski was receiving in the Bayern forums for the past 4 years?
in all my travels, I haven't managed to find a single good FC forum. No idea what rubbish is being talked in the ones i found, but nothing would surprise me :) In my personal FCB bubble, there are all kind of weirdos who dislike or undervalue several players, i know someone who wanted to ditch Schweinsteiger since 2010 several who thought Lahm sucked as #6 or Thiago was shyte. I dont know anyone who had a bad word for Lewas performances in a red shirt, yet.

Jacob

I watched it and I don't think he deserves Ballon d'Or anymore.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
in all my travels, I haven't managed to find a single good FC forum. No idea what rubbish is being talked in the ones i found, but nothing would surprise me :) In my personal FCB bubble, there are all kind of weirdos who dislike or undervalue several players, i know someone who wanted to ditch Schweinsteiger since 2010 several who thought Lahm sucked as #6 or Thiago was shyte. I dont know anyone who had a bad word for Lewas performances in a red shirt, yet.
Ditching Schweinsteiger after 2010 makes no sense at all. I understood every Bayern fan who wanted to ditch him before 2009 though. We carried his sorry ass for many years before he became a competent player. For Christ's sake he couldn't get into the team ahead of Hamit Altintop at times. :lol:

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Ditching Schweinsteiger after 2010 makes no sense at all. I understood every Bayern fan who wanted to ditch him before 2009 though. We carried his sorry ass for many years before he became a competent player. For Christ's sake he couldn't get into the team ahead of Hamit Altintop at times. :lol:
Altintop destroyed Uniteds defense over and over again in 2009 and is a Real Madrid legend. Show some respect, man.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
Altintop destroyed Uniteds defense over and over again in 2009 and is a Real Madrid legend. Show some respect, man.
Hamit Altintop, the Anderlecht slayer where they still whisper his name with reverence. :lol: