Robert Lewandowski 2021/22 performances

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Starting to think Lewandowski is a bit like the Djokovic of football. Messi vs Ronaldo is the Federer vs Nadal debate and it's like Lewandowski is disrupting their party, even though he's scoring like they did for 3 or 4 years in a row now. I don't think he'll get close to surpassing them, but it still feels like people sleep on Lewandowski's stats which are every bit as good as theirs, but doesn't always capture attention. If he's anything like Djokovic, the lack of recognition for that will motivate him to keep doing it an insane level.

The thing is he needs to win more UCLs to be even in the same conversation. Djokovic didn't became Djokovic without winning every Grand Slam. His stats are outstanding, but Messi had more prolific seasons, much more prolific ones and Cristiano had much iconic UCL moments. He may have the stats but if only stats would do it, Shearer would have been the EPL GOAT. And unlike Shearer, here Lewa has to compete with players who have had better stats in single seasons or overall.

Ladron de redcafe

The thing is he needs to win more UCLs to be even in the same conversation. Djokovic didn't became Djokovic without winning every Grand Slam. His stats are outstanding, but Messi had more prolific seasons, much more prolific ones and Cristiano had much iconic UCL moments. He may have the stats but if only stats would do it, Shearer would have been the EPL GOAT. And unlike Shearer, here Lewa has to compete with players who have had better stats in single seasons or overall.
Shearer was never as good as Lewandowski is, and the only stats in his favor are cumulative totals. Lewandowski just broke the all time bundesliga record for goals in a season, scoring 41 goals in 29 matches.

In terms of prolific seasons (or in this case, calender year), Lewandowski just scored as many goals as Ronaldo ever did in a calendar year (69) while playing less matches, taking less shots, and taking less penalities.

Only Messi has been more prolific in the modern era as the current version of Lewandowski.

It's difficult to compare tennis to football, and a balón d'or would do wonders for his legacy, but I'm not sure I follow the stats argument.

Red Star One

It’s also about how you perceive Bundesliga and Bayern’s domination. I think many outside of Germany slightly downplay Lewy’s impact on Bayern but it’s a fair question to ask - would Bayern really win less league titles if instead of Lewandowski they had one or two slightly worse strikers?

Springchat

Shearer was never as good as Lewandowski is, and the only stats in his favor are cumulative totals. Lewandowski just broke the all time bundesliga record for goals in a season, scoring 41 goals in 29 matches.

In terms of prolific seasons (or in this case, calender year), Lewandowski just scored as many goals as Ronaldo ever did in a calendar year (69) while playing less matches, taking less shots, and taking less penalities.

Only Messi has been more prolific in the modern era as the current version of Lewandowski.

It's difficult to compare tennis to football, and a balón d'or would do wonders for his legacy, but I'm not sure I follow the stats argument.
He has to be considered one of the greatest strikers of all time, we all know he deserved a Ballon d'Or

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
It’s also about how you perceive Bundesliga and Bayern’s domination. I think many outside of Germany slightly downplay Lewy’s impact on Bayern but it’s a fair question to ask - would Bayern really win less league titles if instead of Lewandowski they had one or two slightly worse strikers?
Bayern as a team are too strong, they were winning things even with the likes of Manduzic and Gomez(both were excellent forwards in their own rights, although not as prolific and match winning as Lewa). They might not win Europe, but they would do okay without him, but a good goal scorer in the middle. Although that doesn't mean he isn't important or had any impact in the team's dominance.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Bayern as a team are too strong, they were winning things even with the likes of Manduzic and Gomez(both were excellent forwards in their own rights, although not as prolific and match winning as Lewa). They might not win Europe, but they would do okay without him, but a good goal scorer in the middle. Although that doesn't mean he isn't important or had any impact in the team's dominance.
Because of that the more interesting question might be what impact it could have had if he stayed at Dortmund for some more years? I think they would have had a chance to win one or two leagues more with him.

Blackwidow

Because of that the more interesting question might be what impact it could have had if he stayed at Dortmund for some more years? I think they would have had a chance to win one or two leagues more with him.
He probably would not have developed in this way if he would have stayed at Dortmund as he would not have to adapt to another system. But it makes no sense discussing that - he never intended to stay in Dortmund. If he would not have left to Bayern he would have gone elsewhere.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Bayern as a team are too strong, they were winning things even with the likes of Manduzic and Gomez(both were excellent forwards in their own rights, although not as prolific and match winning as Lewa). They might not win Europe, but they would do okay without him, but a good goal scorer in the middle
Actually they won the CL with Mandzukic and Gomez in 2013 in a very impressive way beating Arsenal, Juventus, Barcelona and Dortmund.

Red Star One

Actually they won the CL with Mandzukic and Gomez in 2013 in a very impressive way beating Arsenal, Juventus, Barcelona and Dortmund.
But you have to give it it was a much better team in 2013 - Ribery, Robben, Muller, Kroos, Basti all mature yet hungry, one of the strongest sides of last few decades. Mandzu was a great player in that team

KeanoMagicHat

For those saying Bayern would win the league anyway, Man City would win the PL anyway, even if any of their players were missing, doesn’t mean they’re not good players. There are only a select few teams that are beholden to one or two players - Liverpool with Van Dijk/Salah, Chelsea with Kanté for example.

Blackwidow

In 12/13 the focus was on Robben and Ribery - the output of the striker was not that important (but his workrate was) - and Müller until the final stages in the CL was the one that was huge with his deciders whereas Ribery and others were making the play.

In the following years in which both were injured very often and seldom hat matches together the focus went more to Lewy and Müller - especially in 15/16 when the 2 were participating in about 70 per cent of the goals - scoring 50 of 79.

It might get the "old" way again when Müller and Lewy somewhen stop to play - until then the wingers have time to grow their own output. In the treble season Gnabry was already on a good way - last season none of the 3 wingers was (Lewy had 41g/7a, Müller 11g/18a - Coman/Gnabry/Sane together 21G/21A) - this season Sane started really to get more and more important and the others seem to have improved, too.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
But you have to give it it was a much better team in 2013 - Ribery, Robben, Muller, Kroos, Basti all mature yet hungry, one of the strongest sides of last few decades. Mandzu was a great player in that team
It's always hard to compare teams of different generations.
I wouldn't say the 2013 team was much better. Goretzka and Kimmich aren't worse than Schweinsteiger and Kroos.
Müller is still playing and Lewandowski is miles ahead of Mandzukic.
Robben and Ribery are ahead of Sané and Gnabry, but also were much more injury prone. On top the current side has Coman and Musiala as "back ups". Much better than only Shakiri.
The back 4 with Lahm, Dante, Boateng and Alaba (backups van Buyten, Rafinha, Contento, Badstuber who was out with an ACL injury) are pretty much on the same level as Davies, Süle, Upamecano, Hernandez and Pavard and Stanisic.

Honestly I don't know which team would win if they played each other. Personally, i believe aside of the talent, the current team is mentally stronger than the 2012/13 team

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

Shearer is mainly known for his newcastle stint though. And a brief one at Blackburn. Lewandowski is the main striker at a huge club that nearly always wins league every year and are favourites for the CL. Not saying that Shearer is better, but put him in the Bayern that Lewa joined and he would have crazy stats as well.

Ladron de redcafe

Shearer is mainly known for his newcastle stint though. And a brief one at Blackburn. Lewandowski is the main striker at a huge club that nearly always wins league every year and are favourites for the CL. Not saying that Shearer is better, but put him in the Bayern that Lewa joined and he would have crazy stats as well.
I have no doubt that he would, but the question is whether he'd be able to hit the same numbers Lewandowski is. I think that many top strikers would see their output increase if they played for the current Bayern team, but I can't see anyone doing much better than Lewandowski's current strike rate (which hovers around 1.15 GPM if I'm not mistaken).

Blackwidow

I do not think it is that easy. Look at what teams with a high possession really have a successful real no. 9 that excels in no. 9 situations?

That is why we e.g. in the German national team have so much difficulties in the last seasons finding a matching striker.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
That's 2 back to back FIFA world player of the year awards for him. Already won the golden boot, UEFA, IFFHS and all those other awards.

Been a fan of his game since his Dortmund days.

Apart from the famous Blackburn story its interesting that he was very close to joining United too. He has mentioned that SAF had called him and that he was willing to join back in 2012/2013(?) I think.

His game is absolutely tailor-made for the Premier League. I have a feeling he would absolutely wreck havoc in the league.

Wonder how that period would have gone if he did come to United!

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Their chemistry is amazing. Best duo in Europe for years.

Imo Bayern have some of the most selfish wingers who always want to shoot themselves. Very rarely they intentionally create for Lewandowski.

Always get the feeling, most of the Bayern's big players aren't fond of Lewandowski for some odd reason.

Muller on the other hand, tends to always look for Lewandowski when he has the ball. If Lewandowski got better service from the flanks he'd break even bigger records.

I can see Robert moving after this season.

Saw the title and thought he signed for United...
He almost signed for United back in his Dortmund days. Even had the phone call conversation with SAF.

Would have been pretty crazy if he actually played for United!

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
He's got 28 goals in 23 games.

Exactly the same number of goals after the same number of matches as last season, when he set the new Bundesliga record of 41 goals in one season.

Is he going to break his own record this season?

(Remember that due to an injury he missed four games in March/April last season.)

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
He's got 28 goals in 23 games.

Exactly the same number of goals after the same number of matches as last season, when he set the new Bundesliga record of 41 goals in one season.

Is he going to break his own record this season?

(Remember that due to an injury he missed four games in March/April last season.)

He will imo. Probably end at around 43 if he's fit.

I really hope he carries Poland to the World Cup in March. Would be shite to have a world cup without him.

Best player in the world easily.

Olmer

I'd rather have him play some spectacular games in the UCL. People won't be impressed by BL numbers no matter what.
Hard to blame them when you watch matches like BVB vs Rangers :(.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
He will imo. Probably end at around 43 if he's fit.

I really hope he carries Poland to the World Cup in March. Would be shite to have a world cup without him.

Best player in the world easily.
isn’t the World Cup in the winter?

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
isn’t the World Cup in the winter?
Yes sir! But the qualifiers he'll have to play is in March.

I'd rather have him play some spectacular games in the UCL. People won't be impressed by BL numbers no matter what.
Tbf he has 9 goals and 2 assists in 7 CL games this season. Not too shabby eh?

KeanoMagicHat

In the past 3 seasons he has 29 goals in 23 games in the Champions League, including a Champions League win. He also once scored 4 goals in a CL semi-final against Real Madrid worthy of a 10 rating on L’Equipe, so can’t say he’s never done it in Europe.

Olmer

Yes sir! But the qualifiers he'll have to play is in March.

Tbf he has 9 goals and 2 assists in 7 CL games this season. Not too shabby eh?
Yes, but that's not enough. He wants to be considered THE best, right?
Means he needs to do more than just score in BL and CL group stage when Bayern is doing well. I really liked how he looked against Bochum despite having no support. He needs to have performances like that more often and against stronger opponents, including CL knockouts. He can't have games like the one vs Salzburg.

Olmer

In the past 3 seasons he has 29 goals in 23 games in the Champions League, including a Champions League win. He also once scored 4 goals in a CL semi-final against Real Madrid worthy of a 10 rating on L’Equipe, so can’t say he’s never done it in Europe.
I'm only talking about this season though. Not questioning his whole career or anything ;)
In fact I consider myself to be #1 Lewa fan out there!

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Yes, but that's not enough. He wants to be considered THE best, right?
Means he needs to do more than just score in BL and CL group stage when Bayern is doing well. I really liked how he looked against Bochum despite having no support. He needs to have performances like that more often and against stronger opponents, including CL knockouts. He can't have games like the one vs Salzburg.
Imagine not being allowed to have an off night..

SoCross

Wasn't he at Dortmund also when he scored 4 goals against Madrid?

SoCross

He was indeed, but since this is the Lewandowski thread, not the Bayern thread.
Nah, just goes to show he was/is an extraordinary forward over the past several years. Four goals against Real while playing for an ‘underdog’ club.