Roberto Firmino - No H, possibly not enough stats

Ekeke

22 year old attacking midfielder playing for Hoffenheim in Bundasliga. A dribbler, creator and goalscorer with 12 goals, 8 assists so far this season, linked with Paris St. Germain, Juventus and Atletico Madrid and is coming into his last year of contract.

Whoscored had this write up on him a couple of days ago

Player Focus: Golden Boy Firmino Awaiting International Call
by Martin Laurence at Wednesday, Mar 5 2014 16:50
Share on twitter Share on facebook Share on digg Share on reddit Share on stumbleupon 3

In a squad that contains just three players based in Brazil there remains one stationed in Europe that continues to be overlooked by the Seleção. There are 6 Premier League players in Felipe Scolari's thin squad to face South Africa and three apiece from La Liga and the Bundesliga. If there is one player available to 'Big Phil' that stands out in the latter however, it is Roberto Firmino, who is still awaiting international recognition.

The Hoffenheim playmaker may still only be 22 but after two encouraging seasons in Germany's top-flight he is really flourishing in his third full campaign at the Rhein-Neckar-Arena. Much of his early promise is being recognised, though not yet by the national team.

Like so many young Brazilians coming through his physique has needed work. He's a similar build to the likes of Neymar, Oscar and Bernard and harbours a number of the qualities of each. Perhaps then, therein lies his problem. The competition is incredibly strong and staking a claim for a place in a side that many are tipping for World Cup glory on home soil when you play for a club like Hoffenheim is an unenviable task.

It's one that Firmino has taken up in some style this season though, netting 12 goals and picking up 8 assists in the Bundesliga - no player has more when it comes to the latter - with Robert Lewandowski (21) the only man to have directly contributed to more goals in total thus far. The youngster has created more clear-cut chances for teammates than any other player in Germany's top-flight (13) and the unselfish nature with which he now plays is benefitting his side, having picked up just 3 assists over the two seasons previous.

Having now netted 6 goals in as many games in all competitions for his club, if ever his form whereto impress the national side surely it would have been now. Best deployed in a number 10 role but also capable across the line of a front three, Firmino would have hoped that his versatility would have reaped the rewards now. Instead there was a place in the squad for former City flop Jo, who scored just 6 goals in 21 appearances for Atletico MG last in the Brasileirao last season.

The youngster has good feet and trickery in tight areas, with an average of 4.2 successful dribbles per game ranking 5th in the Bundesliga. Only three players in Germany's top tier have created more chances from open play (32) and only two have played more accurate through balls (7). It's clear then that Firmino has all the attributes to be a top class playmaker.

Nevertheless he's not one to shirk his defensive duties, averaging 2.45 tackles per game to garner a strength of defensive contribution from WhoScored.com. That work rate would put him in the same bracket as the likes of Oscar and Willian at Chelsea, whilst his flair would section him off with the likes of Neymar, Lucas Moura and Coutinho.

When compared to the aforementioned 5 the Hoffenheim man comes out on top in terms of goals, assists, dribbles per game, big chances created per game and tackles per game, making his WhoScored.com rating of 7.81 unsurprisingly above them all. Only Franck Ribery has picked up more man of the match awards in the Bundesliga this season (6), with Firmino's rating ranking 7th in the entire division.

The fact of the matter is that due to the wealth of attacking options available to Scolari and the Seleção Firmino will always struggle to get the attention his performances have deserved at a cub like Hoffenheim. With just one year remaining on his current contract and a number of Europe's top clubs likely to be circling a summer move may well be on the cards but a return to his homeland with the World Cup squad seems to be out of his reach until then.
At the end of an excellent season there should be a bit of a cut price bidding war for him considering his contract. So where will he go? And how good can he be?

yanuzay

post stats or gtfo
First of all, can you please compare his stats to other attacking midfielders and not wingers. Secondary, compare his stats to other players in other leagues.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
First of all, can you please compare his stats to other attacking midfielders and not wingers. Secondary, compare his stats to other players in other leagues.
He didn't write the article.

We've been linked with him recently.

Ekeke

I'll give him some stats. Interestingly Firminho has won more tackles and interceptions than Oscar who has been praised for his defensive work, is the same age and nationality.

As for Liverpool, he's a number 10. Suarez, Sturridge or Sterling to leave?

yanuzay

post stats or gtfo
I'll give him some stats. Interestingly Firminho has won more tackles and interceptions than Oscar who has been praised for his defensive work, is the same age and nationality.
That is more like it. Now you have just supported your argument that he is a really good player. Why are people always defensive when it comes to constructive criticism?

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
Well I didn't write the article either. trollolol
:lol:

As for Liverpool, he's a number 10. Suarez, Sturridge or Sterling to leave?
No great links, it's just been on the offal rumour mill so I pointed it out. And no, I think Rodgers wants one more top class player in the attacking third. That's why he went for Costa, Mkhitaryan, Willian, Konoplyanka.

Ekeke

That is more like it. Now you have just supported your argument that he is a really good player. Why are people always defensive when it comes to constructive criticism?
Probably because you thought I wrote an entire article on the player in question, when I specifically quoted a website and listed it.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
There's no 'h' in Firmino. He's also a good, maybe even very good player but not good enough for United or a big team with CL title ambitions. He could do well for Liverpool though.

Last summer the Russians were heavily interested in him and offered some serious money (€ 15m or so).

yanuzay

post stats or gtfo
Probably because you thought I wrote an entire article on the player in question, when I specifically quoted a website and listed it.
I am aware of whoscored (I knew about Ricardo Rodriguez from there who is joint most promising left back with Luke-shaw). I sounding repetitive here, but I would add stats from different sources to back up my argument.

Ekeke

:lol:

No great links, it's just been on the offal rumour mill so I pointed it out. And no, I think Rodgers wants one more top class player in the attacking third. That's why he went for Costa, Mkhitaryan, Willian, Konoplyanka.
I see. I guess it would be great competition and if you want to be one of the top teams in the league for the foreseeable future you'd need add to the squad like that. However with the development of Sterling and Sturridge its surely not as big a concern as at the start of the season. And its hard to see Liverpool beating the likes of Juventus, Paris and Atletico if he isnt going to walk straight into the first team as a guaranteed starter.

Ekeke

I am aware of whoscored (I knew about Ricardo Rodriguez from there who is joint most promising left back with Luke-shaw). I sounding repetitive here, but I would add stats from different sources to back up my argument.
Its not my argument, its whoscored's hence the quote feature. I said he's had an excellent season (with some stats) and asked a couple of questions.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The average American eats 10-12 pounds (4.5 kg) of chocolate a year.

Don't think American AMs will be any better at football then, but they might be better in eating competitions.

yanuzay

post stats or gtfo
Did you know:

He's been subbed off 3 times in the Bundesliga.
This is a very high rate, I think he is not performing to the coach's standards. Sack him.

The average American eats 10-12 pounds (4.5 kg) of chocolate a year.

Don't think American AMs will be any better at football then, but they might be better in eating competitions.
Good, good. I like people with competitive mentalities, they will go far in life. Hire them.

Getsme

43% of pilots admit to falling asleep during flight, 33% admit waking up to find their co-pilot has fallen asleep as well.
In comparison 90% of United players have admitted to falling asleep on the pitch.
As hard as it is to believe the first stat us true.

yanuzay

post stats or gtfo
43% of pilots admit to falling asleep during flight, 33% admit waking up to find their co-pilot has fallen asleep as well.
In comparison 90% of United players have admitted to falling asleep on the pitch.
As hard as it is to believe the first stat us true.
That is it, I will be creating a stats thread. I am in love!:drool:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Roberto, weighs 76kg (ish). Which is in fact the equivalent to... 17 male cats? (please note, one of the male cats only has 3 legs).

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Looking at whoscored, in comparison with the 'best' attacking midfielders in the PL this season...

Firmino - 1.8 key passes, 12 goals, 8 assists, 4.2 dribbles, 3.5 dispossessed, 77% pass success. 22 years old.

PL Players

David Silva - 3.9 key passes, 4 goals, 7 assists, 1.1 dribbles, 1.9 dispossessed, 89% pass success. 28 years old (Didn't even realise he was this age...).
Lallana - 1.8 key passes, 7 goals, 5 assists, 2 dribbles, 2.4 dispossessed, 83% pass success. 25 years old.
Özil - 2.9 key passes, 4 goals, 8 assists, 1.6 dribbles, 1.5 dispossessed, 88% pass success. 25 years old.
Hazard - 2.8 key passes, 12 goals, 7 assists, 3.8 dribbles, 2.5 dispossessed, 83% pass success. 23 years old.

Pretty similar in most ways to Hazard...