Roberto Firmino, the most overrated player in the Prem.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Unfortunately.. I agree totally. What an effing manager. I mean how on earth can a midfield with no single outstanding player - he literally turns tur* to gold

ok so the season was a one off but what does he feed them exactly? I have never seen such a seemingly talentless bunch transformed within a blink of an eye before - ever!

I mean can we honestly look back on the season and say ‘talent has won!’

please someone enlighten me
We had 97 points the previous season and a CL win. The season before in a CL final. You really have to get past the one off or lucky season jargon. Klopp has made players into stars but isn’t it possible at this level of football that all players have it in them? Sometimes it’s the smallest of things that swing careers around or a great mgr.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Are you a Liverpool fan? Your passionate defence of Firmino certainly implies that. Martial is a better goalscorer, though yes, congratulations to the Brazilian for being part of a successful team.
No I'm not, people are throwing any number 9 as better than FIrmino, feel like the passion is shown by the detractors here

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
@Buchan is probably right about him suffering more because of how we play now (even if he overstates the hoof ball stuff).

In 17/18 he scored 27 goals with 17 assists in all competitions which is a phenomenal output.

Then in 18/19 Klopp started to focus our creativity through the full backs. Firmino’s numbers dropped to 16 goals and 8 assists. Klopp’s switch to more direct football is probably due to how we struggled earlier on in his time at Liverpool against deep defensive set ups (similar to how Burnley played yesterday). Teams squeeze the pitch and stay deep/compact giving Mane & Salah no room to operate. Having the option to play balls over the top can open up the space for Mane & Salah to run onto. Most full backs aren’t as fast as either of them either but I think we focus that tactic more on our right than we do on the left.

Firmino suffers with this because he doesn’t have the pace to run in behind, so he comes deeper for the ball and also to try and open space by pulling an opponent out with him. He’s become a fourth midfielder now and his numbers have suffered as a result. It’d be interesting to see a heat map of where his shots are from. They’re probably not in statistically ‘good’ places to have a shot on goal, although he’s missed some sitters this season.

I think it’s also about adding an additional body to the midfield to give us a numerical advantage there. For comparison, Guardiola normally plays a front three but instead of Aguero or Jesus dropping, he’ll push someone like Walker into midfield to make up the numbers instead.

Even though his numbers (and sometimes performances) this season don’t necessarily indicate it, we’re a better side with him there than we are when he’s not.
Good post. Makes sense to me. He was amazing in 17/18, and while he might have some value to Liverpool even without the numbers, I don't think he is particularly good anymore. Liverpool winning the league with him playing as a striker might speak against that, but United also won the league with Anderson, Cleverley and Rafael in the side. Doesn't always tell the full story.

His reputation still rides on the wave from 17/18, but it's not the same. Now it's more like 'silent domination'.

SambaBoy

Did I really see someone say that if Lewa replaced Firmino in this Liverpool side there is no chance they would compete for the PL or CL?

Le Red

Good post. Makes sense to me. He was amazing in 17/18, and while he might have some value to Liverpool even without the numbers, I don't think he is particularly good anymore. Liverpool winning the league with him playing as a striker might speak against that, but United also won the league with Anderson, Cleverley and Rafael in the side. Doesn't always tell the full story.

His reputation still rides on the wave from 17/18, but it's not the same. Now it's more like 'silent domination'.
While it's true that you can win the league with a liability in your team, Liverpool didn't simply win the league, they tore it apart, and that is not something you achieve with a liability starting every match in the center of your attack.
Firmino is most likely the best "enabler" of attackers in the world. Klopp took advantage of it. It's weird and we're not used to the concept, but it works really well for them.
Maybe not easy to replicate, but they got the best manager in the world (get over it) and he made it work.
I wouldn't put Firmino in the top 10 forwards in the world or anything like that, but he plays the role he's been assigned really well, anyone without a bias can see.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
While it's true that you can win the league with a liability in your team, Liverpool didn't simply win the league, they tore it apart, and that is not something you achieve with a liability starting every match in the center of your attack.
Firmino is most likely the best "enabler" of attackers in the world. Klopp took advantage of it. It's weird and we're not used to the concept, but it works really well for them.
Maybe not easy to replicate, but they got the best manager in the world (get over it) and he made it work.
I wouldn't put Firmino in the top 10 forwards in the world or anything like that, but he plays the role he's been assigned really well, anyone without a bias can see.
Look, the vanity in that dressing-room is something else. Firminho before fixing his teeth, hands down..world class. After? Nah. He is like the opposite of C. Ronaldo.

KennyBurner

13 games since a league goal. Also 11 games since an assist for you lot that love to die on that “playmaker” hill. He is a good player. Liverpool could definitely upgrade on him.

El-Manos

He’s a good player but not an excellent one. I don’t think he would displace anyone in our front three at the moment based on current form. I might be biased though. He thrives in a specific system such as Liverpool’s.

Stacks

Anyone notice that according to the EPL website he is 3rd in the league for big chances missed? He hasn't scored few because he sacrifices himself, its because he cannot finish.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Anyone notice that according to the EPL website he is 3rd in the league for big chances missed? He hasn't scored few because he sacrifices himself, its because he cannot finish.
He tops (or among top 3) almost all the stats, big chances missed, xg, shots, shots inside the box and 6 yard box.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
13 games since a league goal. Also 11 games since an assist for you lot that love to die on that “playmaker” hill. He is a good player. Liverpool could definitely upgrade on him.
People rate players based on results. 11 games without a goal or assist for league winners is just unreal record for attacking player.

Squeaky Bumtime

It's so obvious he does that silent domination thing, the one Rooney was so good at in LVG's first season.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Most of my mates are Liverpool fans.

They big up Firmino so much more than they ever say anything positive about Salah or Mane, and its always been so obvious that its because they know he's the weakest of the three.

Their go-to line is "he's so unique, no one we could bring in could do what he does"

Nonsense.

Stacks

They big up Firmino so much more than they ever say anything positive about Salah or Mane, and its always been so obvious that its because they know he's the weakest of the three.

Their go-to line is "he's so unique, no one we could bring in could do what he does"

Nonsense.
the exact same. for me He is a fan favourite

KennyBurner

People rate players based on results. 11 games without a goal or assist for league winners is just unreal record for attacking player.
Very unreal. I can acknowledge he is a good player. What I don’t agree with is that he is unique. There are players out there that could do what he does and still score with the amazing of shots he takes. His job at Liverpool is so simple. Press and distribute. Very similar to what Bruno does for us actually.

RUCK4444

Nonsense.
Yeah I’ve noticed this. He’s just a hard working forward isn’t he?

That had that with Ings. :lol:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
All the talks about him playing a role that only players with 200 IQ could follow.
When in fact, they could change him with Welbeck and get the same outcome. Bobbynogoal. Welbecksometimesgoal.

Tiber

Nobody will take this title while Luiz still has a pulse

Paul_Scholes18

They won the league and CL with him being a key player. Hard not to rate him.
He is more undertated here since people just look at the goals and rate him down as well as looking at him playing for Liverpool.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Nonsense.
This always very telling.

Anecdotally, in my office there are two United fans. People trash talk Pogba almost daily, but the United fans, although they defend him sometimes, mostly just laugh off the banter. Liverpool fans in our office do the same when someone tries make a joke at Salah's expense, but they get incredibly defensive when we pile on Firmino.

Canagel

Martial could never

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Giroud won a WC with 0 shots on target, not that unreal to me
He gets the same types of things written about him from the Frenchies. Like he's some type of irreplaceable cog in that team when he's one of the easiest players to replace.

Liverpool could improve their attack by playing a better forward. His performance this season is that of an in-form Shane Long.

Paul_Scholes18

Imagine being an attacking player not judged on goals......
He is of course scoring a few. Just not scoring like crazy recently and playing more for the team.
I think he is probably off in his head since they won it too.

Scored against Atletico so can't blame it on him much for them being taken apart in the defense.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Imagine being an attacking player not judged on goals......
Its not even "just about the goals", its the fact he is 3rd in overall shots in this PL season.

If he is this "link-up master", then why is he constantly taking more shots than most strikers?
His conversion rate is awful, btw.

Zoo

3rd highest number of shots in the league. Just 8 goals to show for it.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He gets the same types of things written about him from the Frenchies. Like he's some type of irreplaceable cog in that team when he's one of the easiest players to replace.

Liverpool could improve their attack by playing a better forward. His performance this season is that of an in-form Shane Long.
He isn't one of the easiest players to replace for France, his competition failed to do it because Giroud generally scores goals for France. He has scored at a higher rate than Benzema, he simply had an uncharacteristically poor WC when it comes to goalscoring. Firmino doesn't score for Liverpool, he never has while Giroud has the third goalscoring record for France behind Platini and Henry.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Surely the fact a team pissing the league with their main number 9 still awaiting his first home goal of the season is further proof all rounders are more important than a fox in the box.

It's been the case for a while, we won our first PL with Gudjohnsen as the main forward, United selling RVN freed their team up and sent them up a level while Bayern benching goal a game Gomez for 1 in 3 Mandzukic turned them from trophyless to treble winners.

Paul_Scholes18

Surely the fact a team pissing the league with their main number 9 still awaiting his first home goal of the season is further proof all rounders are more important than a fox in the box.

It's been the case for a while, we won our first PL with Gudjohnsen as the main forward, United selling RVN freed their team up and sent them up a level while Bayern benching goal a game Gomez for 1 in 3 Mandzukic turned them from trophyless to treble winners.
Agree. These more team player type strikers can do wonders for a team. Particular in big games when they often shine. Against the lesser teams Pool got Salah and Mane to score the goals anyway.