Roberto Firmino, the most overrated player in the Prem.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Firmino’s a very good player for Liverpool. Also does well for Brazil. Can’t really argue with that...

Feed Me

I'm hungry
These type of thread bumps make me laugh, especially all the “told you so” sentiment. Firmino has had two good matches after a year of non performances.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
It was barely a month ago the Scousers wanted him dropped for Jota and now we have thread bumps arguing his peerless brilliance.

Never change, Scousers, never change.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think he's just in the tier below world class (ignoring for the moment most of 2020 where he has not been been close to it). It's not necessarily about the goals, but he'd need to be Bergkamp to make up it and he isn't quite that either.

When I compare him to previous world class forwards we've had, he falls just a bit short despite being an excellent player.

He can hit world class levels though. The season where he scored 29 goals, I'd say say he definitely was.
I never say it was just about the goals. I even mentioned dictates midfielders & attackers. He doesn’t do that, he’s in the team now to link the midfield and attack, need to do more than that to be called world class, you want a wow factor. He wasn’t even closed to Bergkamp and this season Kane.

That season if I’m not mistake he was the bench warmer while Gabriel Jesus played over him in world cup.

georgipep

Would you rather have a striker who scores 5 goals with the team scoring 80 or a striker who scores 30 goals with the team scoring 70? Firmino may not put up the stats, and if he did go to another team he may be a huge flop, but I can guarantee you that neither Liverpool fans or Klopp would trade him...
There are some idiots among their fans who think he should be scoring a lot more and want Klopp to replace him...But there are idiots in all walks of life...

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
Firmino is a peerless brazilian daddio on the same level as as the brazilian greats of yesteryear.

Plus he's got such great teeth I can see why he drives united fans up the wall with green-eyed jealousy when gnasher-flashing whilst no-look passing, leading to frothing threads like this one.

He's so good at both of those aspects of play that he should in all perpetuity be known as grin-cha. Unfortunately garrincha himself didn't have access to good dentists back in the 50s which is why firmino edges that particular comparison for me.

Bwuk

He’s a great player but he’s not world class. Liverpool don’t need him to be, the way they play the goals don’t come just from him.

Would Firmino be an improvement for us? No as he wouldn’t suit how we play.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Nice finishes from him yesterday. It's almost like the dozy cnut isn't a bad striker when he actually gets into the penalty box rather than doing his Harry-Kane-DM impression all game. Still overrated mind even when he's not playing like a fecking idiot.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
That season if I’m not mistake he was the bench warmer while Gabriel Jesus played over him in world cup.
Which was another example of the weird selection policy Brazil have perpetually engaged in. He was better than jesus pretty much every time he came on as well.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
These type of thread bumps make me laugh, especially all the “told you so” sentiment. Firmino has had two good matches after a year of non performances.
More like 4-5 strong performances.

And it hasn't been a year. His performances only began dropping off around January.

I suppose this is a good illustration of those judging his performances by goals.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He’s a great player but he’s not world class. Liverpool don’t need him to be, the way they play the goals don’t come just from him.

Would Firmino be an improvement for us? No as he wouldn’t suit how we play.
I'm not sure about that. When Martial is in form you can see that his most important contribution is in his ability to support Rashford and potentially Greenwood more than being the spearhead himself, that's when our attack is at his best. I think that someone with Firmino's skillset would be a far better fit than what we have, also it would allow Bruno to drift even more and not be expected to be at all time a goal threat and an organizer.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
It was barely a month ago the Scousers wanted him dropped for Jota and now we have thread bumps arguing his peerless brilliance.
A month ago, Bobby was still in a rut and Jota red hot.

Don't think Jota gets ahead of Firmino with him back to form though. Exciting as he may be.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Exactly. He’s an odd player. Clearly skilful, but not effective in a lot of games. Up front Nani?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
A month ago, Bobby was still in a rut and Jota red hot.

Don't think Jota gets ahead of Firmino with him back to form though. Exciting as he may be.
The competition from Jota (despite being injured right now) may have finally seen some spark in his finishing. Similar to Salah being subbed recently has even got Salah bringing his fantastic far post curlers back. No doubt Mane will be 'angry' to score a few against West Brom.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Which was another example of the weird selection policy Brazil have perpetually engaged in. He was better than jesus pretty much every time he came on as well.
It was weird and I thought Firmino should be playing over him to get the best out of neymar. But that speaks lot of volume about Firmino because he’s not world class. A world class attacker is someone you want to build your team around with, someone that have wow factor, he doesn’t have the asset, his asset is to support the big players.

Feed Me

I'm hungry

And it hasn't been a year. His performances only began dropping off around January.

I suppose this is a good illustration of those judging his performances by goals.
It’s very easy to be bullish after two good goal scoring performances but I know a lot of Liverpool fans who have been unhappy with Firmino over the course of a year or so now. Beyond goals, his general play has been under par for a long while.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
It’s very easy to be bullish after two good goal scoring performances but I know a lot of Liverpool fans who have been unhappy with Firmino over the course of a year or so now. Beyond goals, his general play has been under par for a long while.
Not disputing that. Just the length of that while.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
He surely had world class periods, but overall he is not world class, but does it matter? Since there arent too many world class players to put it into perspective, doesnt change that he is a great player. He hasnt been too great in the last year, so what ? You think Klopp wouldnt get rid of him if he thinks like those who consistently deny his class.

OldTrevil

Only a guy with red united glasses would say Martial is better than Firmino. I hate Pool as much as the next guy on here, but saying Martial is better is pure and simple laughable.

IF Martial was better, Klopp would've bought a new striker a long time ago
That only works by assuming your player evaluations are the same as Klopp's, ludicrous

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/player-comparison

Both players were signed in 15/16. I'll give you finishing for Martial but for technical ability and hold play that's ridiculous. As for everything else, Firminho beats him more than just "covering a lot of ground"

your post is so wrong it's laughable.
Stats will not confirm for you things like technical ability and hold up play, those are footballing qualities that are easily seen by the eye. I have seen enough of both players to know that Martial is the better footballer and center forward.

zonaldefending

Liverpool Fan
Don't hit me with stats and heat maps, he's number 9 in a team that scores freely and he barely looks like scoring and when he does the stupid cnut "no looks" like he's the goat. He's got about as much class as his boss.
this is hilarious. Damn the facts....I’ve got an agenda against the player I hate. Hahahaha

SeeMe

Supports
Porto
That only works by assuming your player evaluations are the same as Klopp's, ludicrous

Stats will not confirm for you things like technical ability and hold up play, those are footballing qualities that are easily seen by the eye. I have seen enough of both players to know that Martial is the better footballer and center forward.
I think both are different type of players, Firmino is more like an attacking midfielder or fake 9, Martial is more than a number 9 or Forward.

But Martial transfer fee was £36 million, potentially rising to £58 million, brought in as a potential world class wonder kids, Firmino was £29 million, half of the Martial value, and I believe he lifted up his value more than Martial does, he doesn't seem to improve much after transfer.

OldTrevil

I think both are different type of players, Firmino is more like an attacking midfielder or fake 9, Martial is more than a number 9 or Forward.

But Martial transfer fee was £36 million, potentially rising to £58 million, brought in as a potential world class wonder kids, Firmino was £29 million, half of the Martial value, and I believe he lifted up his value more than Martial does, he doesn't seem to improve much after transfer.
:lol:

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

You are posting this in December. Alright, so from January to December isn't a year, well, not quite a year.

Come on, you're better than this :lol:

B20

Supports
Liverpool
You are posting this in December. Alright, so from January to December isn't a year, well, not quite a year.

Come on, you're better than this :lol:
In my head, I was posting in November. :houllier:

So yeah, basically a yeah.

Didn’t Firminho go nearly a year without scoring at home?

he’s never been anywhere near world class. It’s just Liverpool fans and alumnae just hyping him.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Scoring goals is overrated from a central player these days.

I cant believe so many people still dont get this :houllier:

Liverpool's main goalscorers are Salah and Mane - Firmino helps their fluidity, the space, the passing, aswell as links the midfield to the attack.

He isnt their most important player but he is a good player in a system that works.

Liverpool's main goalscorers are Salah and Mane - Firmino helps their fluidity, the space, the passing, aswell as links the midfield to the attack.

He isnt their most important player but he is a good player in a system that works.
and yet, doesn’t he shoot a lot - just his shot conversion is crap?

no Doubt he plays a role - but he’s laughably overrated by some people.

B20

Supports
Liverpool

He scored more goals per game than Bergkamp did in this league.

Not as talented obviously but similar roles for their team, yet Bergkamp never got much shit for it.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
In 10 years no one will remember Firminho.
But people will remember these titles and Firmino is a regular starter in this first 11 for nearly 3 seasons, CLs and Titles.

I'm only backing him because it's the same with stuff like Martial because a False 9 doesnt have to be Messi in my opinion as long as the inverted forwards can take the goal scoring duties away from the central player.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He scored more goals per game than Bergkamp did in this league.

Not as talented obviously but similar roles for their team, yet Bergkamp never got much shit for it.
Bergkamp was also massively overrated. And he played until he was what 38/39? It's hardly a shock his goal scoring would drop off.