Roberto Firmino

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I lol'ed at the supposed confidence that the Express are exuberating in this article :lol:.

Seriously, though, he seems like someone suited to the final third from what I've seen. He can play anywhere in the final third, from the left to the right, from the front to the attacking midfielder role. Much of his best work occurs in the final third, so it seems like he's more of a forward player than a midfielder (attacking midfielder, that is). I don't know if he has it in him to be able to dictate play like most attacking midfielders or if he's better off doing much of his work in the final third.

The only reason we should go for him is if have very few good attacking players to choose from. So far, we have lots of options for the present and future, so I don't see why we should go for Firmino at this point when we have more pressing matters to solve and when we're already well-set in our attacking positions.

Swaters16

A few people on here seem to rate him quite highly so he could be a good signing by the sounds of it. Although the report also says we want a new left back and I think that undermines their credibility.

Devil may care

It's possible that LvG sees him as a versatile and pacey option to aid in the switch to 4-3-3 while also offering an option at the tip of the diamond should we use that formation.

anchan1989

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/535611/Man-Utd-Arsenal-Liverpool-Chelsea-Roberto-Firmino

MANCHESTER UNITED have won the race to sign Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea target Roberto Firmino.

According to reports in Spain, the Red Devils have had an offer of £20m accepted by his club Hoffenheim, and the Brazilian will put pen-to-paper on a long-term deal ahead of the January transfer window.

Firmino, an attacking midfielder who can also ply his trade on the wing, had been attracting interest from numerous teams across Europe, but now looks likely to become Louis Van Gaal's first signing of the winter.

The 23-year-old was linked with a move to both Real Madrid and Bayern Munich over the summer, and will be hoping that he can win over the Old Trafford faithful as United look to make a late surge for a Champions League finish.

Van Gaal is also keen on signing at least one new central defender, whilst also plotting a bid for a left-back to challenge youngster Luke Shaw.
:lol: Yes. Everyone wants to come to the PL, to the great United. The English media sees them as the biggest club around. So he will be there for sure. :rolleyes:
Oh god. That arrogance.
He will finish the season with Hoffenheim. He will have offers from many big clubs if he keeps his level overall to the end of the season.
Why should he leave a side he is leading, which if fighting for a CL spot, for a team that has big offensive players and struggles heavily in the league?
Its 2014, not 2011. Some media people should get that.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
:lol: Yes. Everyone wants to come to the PL, to the great United. The English media sees them as the biggest club around. So he will be there for sure. :rolleyes:
Oh god. That arrogance.
He will finish the season with Hoffenheim. He will have offers from many big clubs if he keeps his level overall to the end of the season.
Why should he leave a side he is leading, which if fighting for a CL spot, for a team that has big offensive players and struggles heavily in the league?
Oh god, it's a Daily Express article which is the worst tabloid in UK.

And also of course he'll leave Hoffenheim for Man Utd :lol:
People kept on doubting out attraction and yet we managed to get Herrera, Di Maria, Falcao, Blind from CL playing clubs, whatever the reasons.

I know you're a bit deluded about the German league and all things related to German football but asking why should a player move from Hoffenheim to Man Untied is new level even for your standards.

Moonred

Oh god. That arrogance.
It's the express bud. Not like united themselves announced it on their website. Naive, are you?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
We won't be getting Firmino. We have enough AM's as it is. I'd love him to be here because I rate the fella massively, but we don't need yet another AM. That's a position that LvG has moaned about in the squad because we already have too many.

Ringo 07

There's this ridiculous newish spanish website called www.fichajes.com which is basically worse than tabloids like The Star and nonsence sites like caughtoffside and this spanish site is churning out wild joke rumour after another and papers like Metro and The Express are using this mickey mouse spanish source to get their sports headlines every day now. The firmio lie was first published in fichajes

anchan1989

It's the express bud. Not like united themselves announced it on their website. Naive, are you?
No, Im not. Never talked about United as the people who made those comments. Its the press and I stated that.

Oh god, it's a Daily Express article which is the worst tabloid in UK.

And also of course he'll leave Hoffenheim for Man Utd :lol:
People kept on doubting out attraction and yet we managed to get Herrera, Di Maria, Falcao, Blind from CL playing clubs, whatever the reasons.

I know you're a bit deluded about the German league and all things related to German football but asking why should a player move from Hoffenheim to Man Untied is new level even for your standards.
I didnt compare Hoffenheim and United. I just stated that United isnt among those clubs you will leave for without a big hesitation, specially during a season.
And yes, you got some big players, but you also overspend heavily and took guys not one of the big boys (really) wanted(specially Di Maria who got offered to any bigger club for much less then what you paid in the end).
Also Falcao with that injury history, btw.
So you are an agent and know for sure that Roberto will leave for United? Respect. ;)

Will Absolute

I just stated that United isnt among those clubs you will leave for without a big hesitation, specially during a season.
And yes, you got some big players, but you also overspend heavily and took guys not one of the big boys (really)
Nonsense. By any relevant metric United is one of the 3/4 biggest clubs in world football. A one year absence from the CL doesn't change that.

Drifter

American
Yep that was a great goal alright .Considering he was not on the pitch that long.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The German posters here really do love going on about the overhyping and arrogance related to the premier league.

Cro

I didnt compare Hoffenheim and United. I just stated that United isnt among those clubs you will leave for without a big hesitation, specially during a season.
And yes, you got some big players, but you also overspend heavily and took guys not one of the big boys (really) wanted(specially Di Maria who got offered to any bigger club for much less then what you paid in the end).
So you are an agent and know for sure that Roberto will leave for United? Respect. ;)
Fantastic. Calling someone sarcastically an agent, but drops 'ITK' knowledge of the finest quality in the two sentences before.

You are making it way to easy for yourself to just repeat some critical media reports and say that United overspent heavily. We bought Herrera and had to trigger the clause, because Athletic are probably one of the hardest negotiators in the game, as some big teams (Bayern and Martinez, Juventus and Llorente) already experienced. We weren't prepared to pay that amount last year, but he played a great season for Athletic and we decided that he is worth it. He looks a good buy for now and I wouldn't call him overpriced at all, if he can maintain the form he showed and he will probably even get better.

Then there is Luke Shaw who has unbelievable experience for a 19 year old, is incredibly talented and is English. Yes, we probably overpaid a little considering most of the money is a future investment in his potential, but he seems to be a hard working guy with a good head on his shoulder. The crazy direction the transfer market is heading at the moment with all those inflated prices, the money we paid for Shaw will probably look like a bargain in three or four years time.

Then there is Di Maria, Man of the Match in the CL Final, CL winner and one of the cornerstones in that Real team last year who has proved everything at the highest level, yet some people still claim we overspent on him. He is in his prime with 26, played for Real Madrid and was one of their best players. As decadent as it sounds to pay so much money for a football player, but again, with the way the transfer market evolved over the last years, that price is pretty justified for him based on performance and ability in todays market. The thing about 'the big boys' don't wanting him is just nonsense. I don't see a lot managers leaving out Di Maria of their team if they had a realistic chance to get him, but with FFP coming up, there weren't just that many suitors that could lift such a deal without making sacrifices in other and probably more important areas for their teams. To say he got offered to any bigger club is true, as it is a standard procedure, but why on earth are you claiming he got offerer for much less money? They spent heavily on James and wanted at least a fee in that region to recoup most of the money with him, as he also is a better player at this moment in time. Do you really believe he would have left for 30, 40 or 50 million to another club and we are so stupid that we just said 'He is available for 40 million euros? We will pay you 75 million!"? Get a grip mate and stop believe everything you read in a newspaper or on the internet and start evaluating content yourself.

Falcao is another proven and world class player and we actually didn't buy him. Yes, it is an expensive loan deal, no doubt about that, but the media attention and merchandising sales alone will pay a big chunk, if not all the money we spent on him. If he makes his mark, then we'll make his deal permanent and if not, we just can't be arsed at all. The injury history is totally blown out of proportion by the media. Yes, he had a serious injury and that still has an effect on him, but that is just the way it goes if you have a serious injury that kept you out for a long time. We are talking about professional football, so you can't just sit out for 6-7 months and get straight into the team afterwards. They are still human beings and they need to get to a certain fitness level before returning to form. But injury prone players can still turn out as good signings, just take Robben for example. He was the 'glass man' when he signed for Bayern in 2009 (?) and even though that was really big money for a Bundesliga transfer at the time, especially for an injury prone player, it paid of lots of times by now. Sometimes you have to make a gamble to take an advantage in the long term and I think that this loan deal is the perfect set up for a big money transfer.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Great!!! After the incredible success of Anderson, Kleberson and the two crocked twins we just needed another Brazilian in the team.

Tarrou

No, Im not. Never talked about United as the people who made those comments. Its the press and I stated that.

It's the Express though Dude. There is nothing remotely arrogant at play here. They just make up stories related to United to sell newspapers, it's as simple as that.

Devil may care

He was very good against Frankfurt tonight, some lovely runs and deft through balls to the forwards, he's tenacious as well.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Not scoring as many as last season as Hoffenheim have shut up shop a wee bit more than last season when they conceded over 70 goals (which averages out as more than 2 a game). Still he's a very good player and having a decent season. Whoscored rate him as the 4th best player in the Bundesliga so far.

I could see Liverpool/Arsenal going in for him tbh.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Already discussions about him in the "Tweets thread"

Our scout (Peter Braund) for the german market was at the Hoffenheim vs Hamburg match on Saturday and it seems like it wasn't the first time we've watched him very closely.

Firmino's buy-out clause is 20m € and his agent has said a few days ago that it's very likely he'll leave Hoffenheim in the summer.

Tarrou

He is guaranteed to leave this summer as they won't qualify for the UCL. Be an absolute steal for 20 mill this guy. Hope we're in for him.

Devil may care

I was wondering how they knew which player our scout was looking at, but if he was sitting next to one of Firmino's representatives then I guess that seals it. If we are really interested in him it does raise some questions over Memphis or maybe even if there is some truth in the Di Maria rumours.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
I was wondering how they knew which player our scout was looking at, but if he was sitting next to one of Firmino's representatives then I guess that seals it. If we are really interested in him it does raise some questions over Memphis or maybe even if there is some truth in the Di Maria rumours.
it raises various questions. E.g: why buy another player for the #10 role? is he really the player, that we need? Last season Hoffenheim played crazy gung-ho and he could shine. He looks a lot less special since they are more solid. He is certainly a good player, but the jury is still out, if he can make it at the highest level. Last but not least: He is wasteful in possession and loses the ball a lot. Does LvG really need another guy who fits this description?

Bwuk

He'll be a name on a long list of possible players we are scouting.

I'd be more annoyed if we weren't scouting top young talents. Nothing in that story.

LuessiT

My number one choice for the striker position I think. He doesn't play there currently but I think he'd do well in that position and could interchange with Rooney.
Playing him as a striker would be a radical change compared to now with Falcao and Van Persie.

Firmino would be a solid buy. Still pretty young, can cover a few positions and he's rather cheap. I'd like to see him here.

Devil may care

it raises various questions. E.g: why buy another player for the #10 role? is he really the player, that we need? Last season Hoffenheim played crazy gung-ho and he could shine. He looks a lot less special since they are more solid. He is certainly a good player, but the jury is still out, if he can make it at the highest level. Last but not least: He is wasteful in possession and loses the ball a lot. Does LvG really need another guy who fits this description?
When I have watched Firmino play his role has been pretty loose, often starting from the flanks, but I agree there are aspects of his game that seem unsuited to what LvG wants. When you look at it the general theme seems to be that we are looking at a number of young attackers that have two things in common: 1)Pace and 2)Can play as a wide forward in a front 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.