Roberto Mancini appreciation thread

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Italy legend forever. To get a team that didn't qualify for the 2018 WC to become European champions. How he has transformed the side.

Also one of very few managers to manage teams to success in both club and country.

big rons sovereign

Never, maybe if he hadn't been incharge of that mob down the road in 2012.
But he was so he can piss off. :nono:

Lee565

Wonder if italy can keep hold of him, his stock must be sky high, is arguably the best international manager about, has just won the euro's and plays progressive and exciting football that any big club would welcome their team to perform like on the pitch

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
We should elect him God-Emperor of mankind

Also, he needs to be canonized. San Roberto da Jesi

Pep's Suit

Amazing guy and one of the most successful managers of last 20 years.

kthanksbye

I've been an Italy fan since 2 decades, as long as I've been a united fan. I absolutely love the man now, but I try to ignore him, he was their manager when they beat us 1-6.

Flying high

Is it purely the ex city factor that has stopped him from being talked about as our next manager? There's plenty who seem to want Rodgers and I'd rather have a guy who was quite successful at city than someone who was average at pool.

Or do people think he'd rather manage Italy than us? I'm not so sure. I know there's a WC next winter, but jobs like this don't come around very often.

Seems to me that this guy ticks most of the boxes for what we need right now. Would be less of an incident waiting to happen like Conte, and is more proven at top level and in the PL than the other names being floated.

big rons sovereign

Is it purely the ex city factor that has stopped him from being talked about as our next manager? There's plenty who seem to want Rodgers and I'd rather have a guy who was quite successful at city than someone who was average at pool.

Or do people think he'd rather manage Italy than us? I'm not so sure. I know there's a WC next winter, but jobs like this don't come around very often.

Seems to me that this guy ticks most of the boxes for what we need right now. Would be less of an incident waiting to happen like Conte, and is more proven at top level and in the PL than the other names being floated.
feck Mancini, and feck his scarf too.

FatTails

Absolutely. Here here. Appalling the amount of pining for City and Liverpool cast offs here currently.
Absolutely. There must be other United ex-players we can hire if Ole is not up to it anymore.

Dominos

Has he had any club success since City sacked him? He bounced around in the wilderness since he left.

He's a very volatile personality who falls out with his players judging by what happened by the end of his City reign. His CL record is also bad and doesn't have the recent league success to make us overlook that.

He'd be a decent fringe top 10 candidate but I don't see any scenario where we'd be struggling for alternatives that much that we start clamouring for ex City managers.

He'd certainly sort out our god awful defence to be fair.

All irrelevant as he's not leaving Italy before the world cup.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We've been living off Chelsea cast-offs for a decade. Mata, Matic, Lukaku, Mourinho and possibly soon to be Conte.
Chelsea are different, though. They’re not a historic rival like Liverpool nor are they a local rival like City. They’re just a good team we’ve had title challenges against in the past.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
If we are interested in Rodgers then there is no reason not to ask for Mancini first, who is more proven manager.

RUCK4444

Well that would be weird. But he's an excellent manager, no doubt.

Would be surprised if City aren't lining him up for a return once Pep leaves tbh.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Ten Hag probably first choice for me. But Mancini as a 2nd choice would be perfect IMO. I'd easily take him before Pochettino. If the manager is good enough, I don't give a feck where they were before. Not like he was disrespectful as a manager towards us or a cnut like Benitez was where there is no chance it'd work. He managed City 10 years ago - successfully - and always carried himself well. He's a top manager and I think he'd do well here. Plus let's finally go get an Italian deep lying playmaker :drool:

The difference between him and Rodgers is that Rodgers' peak level is Leicester, whereas Mancini won a title competing with Sir Alex at City (holds more weight for me than the title Pellegrini won), and won the Euros with Italy (and was successful at other clubs). And his sides play good football. What's not to like?

passing-wind

Not surprising the way the modern era of football, managers will go through cycles due to the short tenancy the average coach has at any given club. Think Mancini is a good option, plays good attacking football and tactically astute. There are seemingly many candidates but thus far he's not a bad recommendation for what would bring the team forward.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Leaving aside the City thing, it's easy to see why he'd be considered. Has won loads and can get his team playing pretty decent football.

Also warmed to him after he called out Sarri for being a prick:

The confrontation on the touchline? You have to ask Sarri about that, he is a racist. People like him do not belong in football. He used racist words. I stood up to ask about the five minutes being added on and Sarri shouted ‘poof’ and ‘faggot’ at me. I would be proud to be that if he is what’s considered a man. People like him should not be in football. He is 60 years old. The fourth official heard but didn’t say anything. He came to see me in the changing room to apologise but he should really be ashamed of himself.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Top guy, can be pragmatic if needs be but his teams are set up to play good football.

Not sure he is the sort of character I want when I don't trust the owners. A lunatic like Conte wasn't going to work but he is probably too nice, don't recall him handling the Tevez AWOL stuff too well (could be wrong).

Leonetti

Probably won't qualify for the World Cup, with the team that won the Euro Cup, so he'll be free in the summer. I'm sure he'll be able to motivate our team just like he motivates the Italian national team.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Feck off with old rival managers...

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
He was the difference between England and Italy in the final. I wouldn't say no to either him, or Enrique of the international managers currently.

He was the difference between England and Italy in the final. I wouldn't say no to either him, or Enrique of the international managers currently.
That's not exactly an achievement when you look at who coaches England.

The only way we get him is if he fails to qualify for the World Cup... with the European Champions. Which is reason enough not to want him anyway.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
City played easily their best football under him during one period, and he had the biggest task of turning losers into winners. Pep lasted longer though but also had better squad.

I don't think he is great at management though, Balotelli created all sort of problems for him and he didn't do a thing about that because he liked him.

He also respected us a lot during his City tenure.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Leaving aside the City thing, it's easy to see why he'd be considered. Has won loads and can get his team playing pretty decent football.

Also warmed to him after he called out Sarri for being a prick:
Never heard that story before about Sarri. Good on Roberto for calling him out.