Roberto Martínez is new Belgium manager

NoPace

The prevailing narrative that Martinez has held back this golden generation of Belgian players is nonsense.

I’m no fan of Martinez, but getting to the World Cup semi finals and losing to France, who were significantly better in all areas, is no picnic.

The current team getting knocked out in the groups is no surprise. Older heads need to call it a day and younger players need to come in.
Agreed, but the latter part is his fault. He could have brought Faes into the team in a back 4 and started Trossard from the jump.

End of the day, they do better at this tournament if their XI was picked by someone who plays Fantasy Prem obsessively, and it's tough to be impressed by a manager who can't outdo that.

Oranges038

Like Ireland under Jack Charlton, Belgium have wasted a great generation of players on a rubbish manager.

BorisManUtd

His Fa Cup win with Wigan back in 2013 and then 1st season with Everton season after made me think he could become top manager, but everything since then has been underwhelming. I guess getting to WC semis and finishing 3rd in 2018 was good achievement.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
The prevailing narrative that Martinez has held back this golden generation of Belgian players is nonsense.

I’m no fan of Martinez, but getting to the World Cup semi finals and losing to France, who were significantly better in all areas, is no picnic.

The current team getting knocked out in the groups is no surprise. Older heads need to call it a day and younger players need to come in.
I suggest you re-watch that semifinal game, because the bolded part is significantly untrue.

And your last sentence is blatantly on him. We have the young talent to replace the older heads - Openda, Lavia, Onana, Theate, Doku are all born in or after 2000. Yet he kept desperately clinging to our players who were in their prime in Russia 2018, notably Witsel who shouldn't have started a game, and Hazard. Vertonghen probably too.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
You were wrong.
Was I? I posted that in 2016 before he went on to finish 3rd place at the World Cup…

I still think his style suits tournament football but if you make the wrong decisions leading up to that tournament and in it like playing the same aging team for c. 6 years solid then you’re not going to do well. Weird call out from you.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
He did a decent job in the end. I think most managers would have got similar results.

SAFMUTD

They had 3 world cups with serious talent, they had three world-class players in KDB, Hazard and Courtois. With several good players as well.

I doubt they have a generation as talented as this one in the near future.

Kag

I suggest you re-watch that semifinal game, because the bolded part is significantly untrue.

And your last sentence is blatantly on him. We have the young talent to replace the older heads - Openda, Lavia, Onana, Theate, Doku are all born in or after 2000. Yet he kept desperately clinging to our players who were in their prime in Russia 2018, notably Witsel who shouldn't have started a game, and Hazard. Vertonghen probably too.
Nah, I’d rather not. France were a better team than that Belgium team. No shame in losing to them.

You’re probably right about the younger players. Doesn’t really dispute the reality that Belgium had no given right to win anything with that squad, though.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Starting Eden Hazard has to be one of the worst decisions he made. Everyone, including Hazard himself knows he's done at this level

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Like Ireland under Jack Charlton, Belgium have wasted a great generation of players on a rubbish manager.
I don't understand this 'wasted' comment. In the WC and Euros they were beaten by a goal in each by the winners of both tournaments. It's hardly 'wasting' a generation.

Japan, Brazil and France were the competition in the WC knockouts - tough oppo.
They played Denmark in the group (beat them) and Portugal in the knockouts (beat the holders) and then Italy (the winners) in the Euros - tough oppo again.

They were absolutely cack this year and thgat's on his choices but I wouldn't say that they have wasted their potential. They just fell a little bit short, it happens.

onemanarmy

I don't understand this 'wasted' comment. In the WC and Euros they were beaten by a goal in each by the winners of both tournaments. It's hardly 'wasting' a generation.

They played Denmark in the group (beat them) and Portugal in the knockouts (beat the holders) and then Italy (the winners) in the Euros - tough oppo again.

They were absolutely cack this year and thgat's on his choices but I wouldn't say that they have wasted their potential. They just fell a little bit short, it happens.
With a top manager it might have been different, but who knows.

We failed to qualify for a major tournament about 10 years in a row before the 'golden generation'. We were below the likes of Montenegro and Zambia on the FIFA list. We had a very good generation coming through, but the likes of Germany, France, Brazil... have these generations all the time. Belgium had a very good team for a country of 10 million people and a very weak domestic league but in reality it was probably never the best team in the world.

It seems to me that a lot more people are negative about the performances in the WC and EC of this team, than Belgians are. We had a fantastic run last 8 years or so, bar maybe the last 1.5 - 2. We ended up third in 2018 beating several good teams along the way.

Very grateful for the fun and excitement they've given us. I'll never forget that Chadli goal against Japan.

He should have bled in more youngsters along the way, and wasn't very flexible with the system we played, that I hold against him.

antk

2018 was impressive, 2021 was at most underwhelming but 2016 and 2022 are absolute failures. They should have done much better both times. Weird how their peak was so short ultimately.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
2018 was impressive, 2021 was at most underwhelming but 2016 and 2022 are absolute failures. They should have done much better both times. Weird how their peak was so short ultimately.
He wasn't the manager in 2016.

antk

He wasn't the manager in 2016.
Oh I know I got carried away by the side conversation about the generation as a whole.

If anything it's to his credit they were a genuine contender in 2018 after bottling 2016.

Oranges038

Let's be honest, he is a not a great manager, he has no plan b and never has. Which is fine against mediocre teams in qualifying.

A better manager might have got more out of this team in those bigger games by altering their approach slightly.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Let's be honest, he is a not a great manager, he has no plan b and never has. Which is fine against mediocre teams in qualifying.

A better manager might have got more out of this team in those bigger games by altering their approach slightly.
Do international teams ever have elite or great managers? It's quite rare. In 2018 and 2021 they lost against two teams that were the winners and had better managers.

Oranges038

Do international teams ever have elite or great managers? It's quite rare. In 2018 and 2021 they lost against two teams that were the winners and had better managers.
It is rare to have an elite or great manager with an international team, but a better manager than Martinez could surely have been found.