Robin van Persie | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

This KaiZo fella makes some solid videos

kotha

Nice article that!! The respect he has for Van Gaal seems to be tremendous..

Those anecdotes from his childhood and against Ajax fans are very interesting..

NMF

His hold up play really is incredible, I never noticed it that much when at Arsenal.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I don't think he should take much criticism for this season. His strike rate (goals/min) was still amazing (best in his career I think I read somewhere?) considering we played so shit and the service to him was more suited to a big man striker like Carroll. Not forgetting his injuries. The criticism he has received this season has been way disproportionate.
Exactly. Even when he didn't perform well, he (like Rooney) have been scoring goals, at least.

Plus, he's had to deal with injuries and also played through a toe injury during the fall.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
http://www.voetbalzone.nl/doc.asp?uid=215750

rvp has now said in the dutch press that a number of things in this article have been made up and that the author has a great mind for fantasy... things such as how he needed a psychiater after the ajax thugs were chasing him, he said he has never lost a second of sleep because of the incident and it did not bother him one bit...

He has never spoken the author on a number of matters in the article... how sick do you need to be to invent such colorful anecdotes and stories with his imaginary best bud RvP.

Ole'sbodyguard

Like the formation Holland are using tonight. Shows LVG is flexible.

That formation could accommodate Rooney, RVP and Mata in close to their natural positions and also give plenty of game time to Welbeck, Kagawa, Januzaj, Hernandez, etc.

If he adopted that at United we could focus on strengthening the defence and central midfield and not be unduly concerned with the attacking options, which for me is where the priority should be.

Walters_19_MuFc

Like the formation Holland are using tonight. Shows LVG is flexible.

That formation could accommodate Rooney, RVP and Mata in close to their natural positions and also give plenty of game time to Welbeck, Kagawa, Januzaj, Hernandez, etc.

If he adopted that at United we could focus on strengthening the defence and central midfield and not be unduly concerned with the attacking options, which for me is where the priority should be.
Is it a 3-5-2? Can't quite figure it out. Where's Robben playing? :confused:

Johan77

They play some kind of 5-2-3. RvP out right wide, Robben to the left and Sneijder central in a free role, that's when Ghana has the ball. When Holland has it, RvP goes more central in a free flowing attacking system, very interersting to see. Blind has been MoM so far in my eyes, brilliant on the left flank. Martins Indi very good to the left of the 3 central defenders.

Walters_19_MuFc

According to Whoscored and other sites, he is up front with RVP.

Sneijder is behind them with De Jong and Guzman.

Sneijder done an interview commenting on the system if you want to read the link

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/309744/preview
Ok, cheers. Like you said, it could work with our current players, and would allow us to give plenty of time to all of our players in their natural positions.

Something like:

De Gea

Jones - Smalling - Evans

Rafael - Strootman - Carrick - Shaw

Mata

Van Persie - Rooney

At times, if we need more natural width, we could start with Januzaj over one of Rooney or Van Persie.

Ole'sbodyguard

Ok, cheers. Like you said, it could work with our current players, and would allow us to give plenty of time to all of our players in their natural positions.

Something like:

De Gea

Jones - Smalling - Evans

Mata

Van Persie - Rooney

At times, if we need more natural width, we could start with Januzaj over one of Rooney or Van Persie.
Yep. Also easy to slot in Kagawa, Januzaj, Welbeck, Hernandez and means we would have to focus transfers on central midfield and defenders which are the priorities for me.

Also a system which actually accommodates RVP, Mata and Rooney rather than shoehorning one of them out of position is something I really want to see.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Don't think Van Gaal will implement the 3-5-2 system at United. But it is very nice to see what he's trying to do with this group of players.

Surprised that there's not Holland vs. Ghana match thread. Great teamplay goal by RVP. Robben should've scored twice. Nigel de Jong looks sharp, interesting second half ahead of us. Question is whether Sneijder is up to this game for a full 90 minutes, if he is he might play a good World Cup.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
He implemented the 3-5-2 out of necessity because he didn't have Strootman to play his 4-3-3 formation.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He implemented the 3-5-2 out of necessity because he didn't have Strootman to play his 4-3-3 formation.
Yeah pretty much. The most likely formation will be a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1 which is pretty much the same thing with the way Van Gaal sets out. No way will our main formation be 3-5-2 especially when the 3 center backs we have aren't very good and are all injury prone.

Ole'sbodyguard

Yeah pretty much. The most likely formation will be a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1 which is pretty much the same thing with the way Van Gaal sets out. No way will our main formation be 3-5-2 especially when the 3 center backs we have aren't very good and are all injury prone.
He could play any formation. He experimented with diamond at Bayern early and has played 4-4-2 with AZ.

He might be playing 3-5-2 because of an injury to a key player but it shows he is flexible and plays to the strengths of his players. At United he has an embarrassment of riches in strikers and attacking midfielders and a distinct lack of quality, genuine or at least in form wide men. That's before we get onto to the lack of quality central midfielders for a 4-3-3 and the fact that we need to add defenders to the squad this summer regardless of what formation he is playing.

He could easily adopt a different formation to 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 in his first season. If he was inflexible he would have simply looked to replace Strootman with an alternative and stuck to the same system.

Last edited:

Truedevil

Rafael: "Van Persie said many good things about him (van Gaal) especially when his name was being linked to the club

Lane

Looks like another niggle.

I think that injury-free season for RVP is a tough ask. We definitely need a proper cover.

Firstouch20

I think that injury-free season for RVP is a tough ask. We definitely need a proper cover.
Van Persie on his substitution: "Don't worry. I have a little pain in my groin. I don't even call it an injury. Just a precaution."

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

Hopefully we'll hold onto Hernandez. Might be a tricky season if he has injury problems with just Rooney and Welbeck.

Lane

Van Persie on his substitution: "Don't worry. I have a little pain in my groin. I don't even call it an injury. Just a precaution."
That's what he usually says and then... I hope it's nothing too, i am planning on supporting dutch team a little. For the first time since 98 actually.
Hopefully we'll hold onto Hernandez. Might be a tricky season if he has injury problems with just Rooney and Welbeck.
I am not sure. If we will play with one CF the guy is like 4-th choice, i think Chicharito needs to move on. He needs regular playing time.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
It explains why he forever walks awkwardly. Always looks like he's limping even when he's fine.

JefferiesTube

Something like:

De Gea

Jones - Smalling - Evans

Mata

Van Persie - Rooney

I like this formation too, but it is best to have Smalling - Jones - Evans. Smalling plays CB/RB, Evans plays CB/LB and Jones plays CB/DM. You can play Carrick as CB/DM too and you end up with a Rodgers type of formation, but Carrick is stronger defensively than Gerrard. Your 2 CMs could be Strootman and Vidal, so you have 2 box to box CMs and not just 1.

ricky-romeo

nice formation and players up there but then the main issue would be the fitness and availability of our defenders. at least 4 of the 5 at the back are quite injury prone and we still need to make at least a signing at CB. and we haven't still sign shaw.

Firstouch20

Dutch press are reporting that RvP has been injured by kitesurfer on the beach I kid you not.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Dutch press are reporting that RvP has been injured by kitesurfer on the beach I kid you not.
Yeah, I read that too. Apperently him and Janmaat were swimming at the beach and they got hit. Some scratches and a headache, but they're supposed to be fine. Friday we play against Spain and I would be sick if RVP has a concussion or something, but he'll probably be alright. RVP has a tendency to be a bit unlucky though.

Status
Not open for further replies.