Robin van Persie | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamadovich86

The fact that RvP was subbed out makes me think that he still isnt 100% fit yet, the substitution was indeed tactical but I think LvG saw the chance to rest Robin and he did.

markhrad

The fact that RvP was subbed out makes me think that he still isnt 100% fit yet, the substitution was indeed tactical but I think LvG saw the chance to rest Robin and he did.
The games are coming quite fast and furious, LVG has to rest him as much as possible. He did, however, looked a little wobbly running towards LVG for the Hi-Five after he scored the equalizer.

SER19

i wouldnt read into it much. hes just coming back from injury and with potentially 7 games in under a month van gaal was probably delighted to get a chance to rest him so soon.

celia

And he's got a yellow card when they were were quite comfortable leading.

His first was an amazing goal. I'm glad we have him. My thought about the second was more "Oh such a nice guy, Van Persie, trying his best to get de Gea playing next match".

Richard Cranium

I reckon he'll start from the bench for the Australia game and if Holland need him then he'll come on. If they win that game they might rest him or only play him for 45 minutes against Chile.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
So, Rio also thinks that van Persie's poor form last season was because Moyes played him as second fiddle to Wayne Rooney.

itso 7

The games are coming quite fast and furious, LVG has to rest him as much as possible. He did, however, looked a little wobbly running towards LVG for the Hi-Five after he scored the equalizer.
And no matter how hard he claims otherwise he really needs him firing beyond the WC and that will always play on the back of his mind .

Godfather

Wayne is going to have one hell of a tough time next season. No way LVG will drop Robin. And Mata and Kagawa are better #10s. Will be interesting to see where he will fit in.

prateik

A lobbed header? Fletch must've been giving him tips then. He scored with the greatest lobbed header of all time.

Richard Cranium

So, Rio also thinks that van Persie's poor form last season was because Moyes played him as second fiddle to Wayne Rooney.
Can't imagine it was a great lift for him, after coming off the back of his best season ever while he's in the form of his life and genuinely in that top bracket of strikers, Moyes comes in and can't seem to remove his tongue from young Wayne's ass.

Shark

@NotShark
He could win us the league again next season, just as he did when he first arrived. Absolutely world class when he's up for it and I'm sure he will be next season with Van Gaal at the helm. That interview about us being back next season says it all.

Last edited:

Sad Chris

Him being booked, the game being decided and possibly having a very long tournament ahead are good enough reasons for me to rest him, no matter how fit he is.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He could win us the league again next season, just as he did when he first arrived. Absolutely world class when he's up for it and I'm sure he will be next season with Van Haal at the helm. That interview about us being back next season says it all.
You made a typo.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
And to think how ppl said his injury was a blessing in disguise or how we should sell him just because Moyes couldn't use him properly and failed to get the best out of him.

Moral of the story: Never ever sell a truly WC player just because an unproven and mediocre manager wants it. Sack that incompetent manager instead. Thankfully Woody/Glazers did exactly that, just wished it was a bit earlier.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Interesting that when van Persie scores an exquisite goal for his national team, United fans do nothing but shower him in praise, but when Rooney scores an exquisite goal for the club they support, many only seek to find ways to bring him down and claim poor goalkeeping or luck.
:lol: ffs

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
And to think how ppl said his injury was a blessing in disguise or how we should sell him just because Moyes couldn't use him properly and failed to get the best out of him.

Moral of the story: Never ever sell a truly WC player just because an unproven and mediocre manager wants it. Sack that incompetent manager instead. Thankfully Woody/Glazers did exactly that, just wished it was a bit earlier.
Yep, Moyesie was hinting that he'd need a massive overhaul of squad and a lot of fans started buying into it.
Then we suddenly thought, hang on a minute, kick out 10 players, and ignore the fact they were champions or kick out the guy who can't get anything out of them!

MoneyMay

The situations between Rooney and Van Persie are different. Rooney decided to sulk his way throughout the season (12/13) for completely different reasons. Van Persie's arrival should have augmented Rooney's form. Instead, Rooney made it about himself, and as a result of this - Swansea (A) onwards - his overall game was poor.

I don't agree with Van Persie not putting in the effort you would want from a professional footballer. I would like every player to put the effort in, regardless of status. However, he can justify it easily. IMO for the following reasons:

1) Training regime. No need to explain this further.

2) Tactics. Moyes reduced Van Persie's role, while maximising Rooney's. Van Persie went from playing as a nine-and-a-half to playing as a poacher. Players, as he put it, were getting into his zone(s). We went from seeing Van Persie create chances for us, to playing as a classic #9. Who wouldn't be happy with that change?

3) Moyes' poor management skills. Several players in the team suffered from this. Rooney was elevated to a sickening position. That isn't an attack on Rooney, that's an attack on Moyes who went too far with his outstanding elevation skills. Yesterday Ferdinand confirmed what most people knew:
And Ferdinand told the BBC: "When Sir Alex Ferguson left, he [Van Persie] went from being the star man, our go-to guy, the top scorer, to being almost like a sideshow.

"I think that the dynamics changed. The manager, David Moyes, was talking up Wayne Rooney and forwards need to be loved. And I don't think he felt that love last season."
I don't agree with anyone who says he didn't put that "effort and passion" for us last season if it's in reference to the whole season. He was our best attacking player against Arsenal (H) and Olympiakos (H), both of which were his two best performances last season. And secondly, even if he did put more effort in, would there be that much of a difference in results? It's used by Moyes apologists to hide the deficiencies of the system. Van Persie still wouldn't have made a massive difference. Again, I'm not defending his lack of effort. It does, however, seem like he is being overrated in terms of impact, in a system that was a hindrance to him.

Firstouch20

I really think its a myth that Van Persie was sulking all season. Before his big groin/thigh injury he was in immense form scoring pretty much a goal per game and got us within 5 points off the top spot with his performance against Arsenal. He then came back from his injury and was again scoring a goal per game, playing well. He dipped slightly around the first leg against Olympiacos but then he made ammends with his hattrick in the second leg.

I just think he had a stop start season with injuries and thats all it comes down too. If he had played a full season he was on course for 30+ goals. I really don't think he sulked more than any other player did, he was just used as the scapegoat. Wasn't he the only player to publically back Moyes? Remember his statement?

Silverman

He is one of my favourite ever United players. I hope he gets the captaincy next season and starts firing on all cylinders again.

Brightonian

I really think its a myth that Van Persie was sulking all season. Before his big groin/thigh injury he was in immense form scoring pretty much a goal per game and got us within 5 points off the top spot with his performance against Arsenal. He then came back from his injury and was again scoring a goal per game, playing well. He dipped slightly around the first leg against Olympiacos but then he made ammends with his hattrick in the second leg.
Exactly. People are getting very carried away imagining problems with the form or attitude of a number of individual players. The fact of the matter is that as a team we played badly too often because we had a very poor manager and because we still hadn't sorted out our feeble central midfield. Those two simple factors dwarf any concerns about Rooney playing badly, Van Persie sulking, the players losing faith in Moyes etc etc.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
You've got to laugh though, I've not seen Van Persie in that mood for a long time. You might be willing to roll over and take, but I'm entitled to point this out.
He scored a hat trick the last time he played under Moyes though? So that's not really true. Anyways, of course he's going to look better in a better system more suited to him and one that everyone is working well together. We were completely disjointed all the time under Moyes and so of course the striker would look slightly off. He still had a very good strike rate though, despite everything.

Gladiator

You've got to laugh though, I've not seen Van Persie in that mood for a long time. You might be willing to roll over and take, but I'm entitled to point this out.
You are certainly entitled to point it out. What it means is different type of discussion

Trizy

Fantastic performance. We need a system next year that utilizes his ability more. He plays as strictly a 9 for us and he has much more to his game. He's the most talented striker I have seen player for us.
I can see him taking no.9 this coming season, he refused it earlier because he didn't think it was fair for fans who bought his jersey but now with our new sponsors we'll have 3 new jerseys in this season. RVP9, I like it.

Jaapster

we should be really proud that one of our players put in a performance and scored possibly the best headed goal I have ever seen, we should also be proud if Rooney plays fantastic tonight and scores a belter.
I love it when our players play really well.

LR7

The situations between Rooney and Van Persie are different. Rooney decided to sulk his way throughout the season (12/13) for completely different reasons. Van Persie's arrival should have augmented Rooney's form. Instead, Rooney made it about himself, and as a result of this - Swansea (A) onwards - his overall game was poor.

I don't agree with Van Persie not putting in the effort you would want from a professional footballer. I would like every player to put the effort in, regardless of status. However, he can justify it easily. IMO for the following reasons:

1) Training regime. No need to explain this further.

2) Tactics. Moyes reduced Van Persie's role, while maximising Rooney's. Van Persie went from playing as a nine-and-a-half to playing as a poacher. Players, as he put it, were getting into his zone(s). We went from seeing Van Persie create chances for us, to playing as a classic #9. Who wouldn't be happy with that change?

3) Moyes' poor management skills. Several players in the team suffered from this. Rooney was elevated to a sickening position. That isn't an attack on Rooney, that's an attack on Moyes who went too far with his outstanding elevation skills. Yesterday Ferdinand confirmed what most people knew:

I don't agree with anyone who says he didn't put that "effort and passion" for us last season if it's in reference to the whole season. He was our best attacking player against Arsenal (H) and Olympiakos (H), both of which were his two best performances last season. And secondly, even if he did put more effort in, would there be that much of a difference in results? It's used by Moyes apologists to hide the deficiencies of the system. Van Persie still wouldn't have made a massive difference. Again, I'm not defending his lack of effort. It does, however, seem like he is being overrated in terms of impact, in a system that was a hindrance to him.
Good post.

I never thought he lacked effort though. We just weren't playing in a way to get the best out of him so it's unsurprising he looked peripheral and marginalised at times.

I think I read somewhere that last season he had one of his best goals/minute ratios of his career which is incredible given how shite we played for the most part.

Eriku

Absolutely incredible connection with his head, making it loop. That's just freak instinct, and I can't wait to see him for us, as utilised by Van Gaal next season :drool:

Parma Dewol

What a magician this man really is. The World Cup tends to separate the wheat from the chaff and it's a stage on which the very best players prove their worth. Can Holland win the tournament? That's a huge question mark, but I do reckon RvP is talented enough to make that much of a difference - he really could take them all the way, as he did in the Premier League for us the season before last.

In my opinion, he's our most gifted player (by some margin) and he seems like a genuinely good guy. I'm hoping he does become Van Gaal's captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.