Robin van Persie is the best striker we have ever had in the PL...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Obviously, he’s no Giggs/Scholes etc type legend, but when I think about it - I think it’s fair to say that his best with us was not bettered with us from any centre forward. Rooney and Cantona were top players and bigger legends, but neither were as good as Persie in 12/13. He's the best we’ve had in the PL era.

RUCK4444

I probably agree, only player I would consider swapping Van Persie for would be peak Ronaldo when he won the Ballon D’or for us.

God imagine them both in the same team if Ronnie had never left.:(

InfiniteBoredom

2009-10 or 2011-12 or 2006-07

Edit: if you're just looking at striker duties then ignore 06-07.
09/10 definitely was his peak both in numbers and performance. 11/12 despite posting the same number he was much more streaky.

The second half of 10/11 was up there as well, once the contract situation blew over he gradually improved and when the new year started was unplayable.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Obviously, he’s no Giggs/Scholes etc type legend, but when I think about it - I think it’s fair to say that his best with us was not bettered with us from any centre forward. Rooney and Cantona were top players and bigger legends, but neither were as good as Persie in 12/13. He's the best we’ve had in the PL era.
Rooney, Cole, Yorke, Cantona, Ruud all had better seasons you nutter

freeurmind

weak willed
If you say he had the best ever season for us in the Premier League, that would be fine. But our best ever? Hugely disrespectful to Rooney and Cantona.

Van Nistelrooy was better. As a pure goalscorer he is the best we have had in the PL era. His first two or three seasons were incredible.

Yorke, Cole and Rooney all have claims too.

Patchbeard

I think Rooney in 11/12 was about as good as RVP in 12/13, if not better. That bloody injury against Bayern was a hammerblow for our season and wrecked our run in and his chances of the PL golden boot, ironically against RVP of Arsenal.

Rooney got 34 goals in 43 games in 11/12, RVP got 30 goals in 46 games in 12/13.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Van Persie is the best modern striker We've had.
Van Nistelrooy is the best let's all meet up in the year 2000 striker We've had.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Did you mean to type Ruud van Nistelrooy?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
RVP’s last season at Arsenal was probably the best of his career. Just played for a shitter team so no trophies.

flappyjay

May I ask if you watched football during RVNs time or were young at the time. Sir Alex would probably say different but RVN is the best we ever had during his tenure as our manager.

El Jefe

Ruud in 2002/03 is easily the best season for a United striker in the PL era. I'm not even sure RVP's first season is better than Ruud's first season, he was devastating that year but we went trophyless that year so that season isn't remembered as fondly as title winning seasons.

Yorke's treble season was also clearly better. RVP was great in the league but the others had outstanding CL campaigns something RVP was unable to do.

mshnsh

People really are bored right now

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Best all round forward? Ronaldo
Best all round striker? Rooney
Best centre forward? Van Nistelrooy

Loved Van Persie but I’d still take peak Rooney (2007-10) over him I think

zlatan_ish

juventino
Supports
La Vecchia Signora
Have you heard about Van Nistel Rooy?

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
but neither were as good as Persie in 12/13
If we just go be peak EPL seasons, RvP's 2012-13 season isn't even his personal best.
  1. Cristiano 2007-08: 31 of 34 (0.91)
  2. Drogba 2009-10: 29 of 32 (0.90)
  3. Mo Salah 2017-18: 32 of 36 (0.88)
  4. Rooney 2009-10: 26 of 32 (0.81)
  5. Rooney 2011-12: 27 of 34 (0.79)
  6. RvP 2011-12: 30 of 38 (0.78)
  7. RvN 2002-03: 25 of 34 (0.73)
  8. RvP 2012-13: 26 of 38 (0.68)

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Ruud in 2002/03 is easily the best season for a United striker in the PL era. I'm not even sure RVP's first season is better than Ruud's first season, he was devastating that year but we went trophyless that year so that season isn't remembered as fondly as title winning seasons.

Yorke's treble season was also clearly better. RVP was great in the league but the others had outstanding CL campaigns something RVP was unable to do.
Not just PL era, I'd go further and say RVN was our best striker since Law. He isn't remembered that much because we didn't win a lot with him in the side (which was because of shite defence and GK)

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Nah definitely Ruud. He was something else

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If we just go be peak EPL seasons, RvP's 2012-13 season isn't even his personal best.
  1. Cristiano 2007-08: 31 of 34 (0.91)
  2. Drogba 2009-10: 29 of 32 (0.90)
  3. Mo Salah 2017-18: 32 of 36 (0.88)
  4. Rooney 2009-10: 26 of 32 (0.81)
  5. Rooney 2011-12: 27 of 34 (0.79)
  6. RvP 2011-12: 30 of 38 (0.78)
  7. RvN 2002-03: 25 of 34 (0.73)
  8. RvP 2012-13: 26 of 38 (0.68)
Well of course I didn’t reference his Arsenal form as it counts for nothing in this conversation. I’d add that to a possible argument about how he fares amongst PL strikers in general - but his first season with us was not simply about a goalscoring ratio. I don’t use a goalscoring ratio to separate him from Ruud. I use the fact that I think he’s simply a better player. Goals are irrelevant in such a comparison because they both scored loads of them.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
May I ask if you watched football during RVNs time or were young at the time. Sir Alex would probably say different but RVN is the best we ever had during his tenure as our manager.
I’m not 12 or anything. I remember Ruud van Nistelrooy. I don’t think he’s as good a player as Robin Van Persie. I never joined in with the United fans embarrassingly claiming he was better than Henry at the time either.

Personally, I feel that when met with another striker who also ‘scored lots of goals’, Ruud has little else to bring to the fight. Ruud was a great classic #9, Persie was Ruud and Bergkamp combined, and at other parts of his career, even a little Robben. A very underrated player I’ve felt for a while, injuries seem to have robbed him of what I feel is his rightful place right in the midst of the best PL forwards ever. But I’m learning every day the value placed on longevity.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I like the fact Ruud gets proper recognition on here. In The Netherlands we always like to talk about how "limited" he was and that he didnt have the first touch of Bergkamp or dribbling skills of Van Basten.

Ruud was fecking brilliant and while Van Persie might be more technically refined, Ruud was a better striker and if I had to pick someone to put away a chance I would pick him over RVP 10 put of 10 times.

Also the RUUD RUUD RUUD RUUD RUUD chant is one of the most ingenious pieces of musical history of all time.

Go Ruud.

RUCK4444

RVP - insanely talented
RVN- much, much more clinical
Really? I think ‘much, much more’ is stretching it.

Van Persie is the more cultured finisher, Ruud’s striker instincts to be in the right place to score time and again we’re second to none though.

There’s quite a gap between when the two were at their respective peaks, it could be argued that Van Persie done it in a relatively more competitive league.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
In terms of pure striker it's definitely between RvN and RvP. In terms of pure goalscorer overall no one has been better than Ronaldo.

Status
Not open for further replies.