Robin van Persie is the best striker we have ever had in the PL...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I think RVN was one of the best we’ve ever had. RVP was great, fergie brought him in for 1 reason and that was to win us the league which is what he did. That’s why he got given the number 20 shirt if I remember correctly.

DJ_21

Rooney > Ruud > Robin
If only we had them 3 in the same team. I remember when we use to have 3/4 top strikers and now we can barely get 1 :lol: Think that’s because we played 2 up top under fergie so needed more ST.

humdinger

He probably isn’t the best, agree that RVN, Yorke and Rooney deserve to be ahead of him, but I absolutely loved watching Robin play. He was amazing in his short time here, wish we’d gotten him sooner.

Devilyouknow

I love RVP but I still remember even the commentators would expect Ruud to score every time he was in the box (and we were surprised when he didn’t)

eire-red

Rooney was the best for me. Scored all types of goals, scored on the big occasions, worked his socks off and if he played well, we generally won.

Made those around him better too with his vision and ability to dominate games. Having average attackers these past few years made you realise how good he was in his pomp.

Eddy_JukeZ

I think RVP could have had the best season a player had for us in the Prem were it not for his 2 month dry-spell and his costly miss vs Real at the Bernabeu.

To start the season though, he was pretty much scoring the winner/equalizing goal in every single game we got a result.

And our attack as a unit wasn't great that season. Imagine RVP in this current side? Him and Rashford would be mesmeric together.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I miss him so much. Can't we just call him up for Oranje again :wenger:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He was a good striker but what impressed me the most were his dolphin hands. I would argue they helped him score that volley against Villa and players without them would not have scored that goal, even Messi. Aerodynamics and all that.

nakpodiareuben

As a striker? It has to be Ruud man. His positioning and killer instinct is astonishing. He was a combination of solksjear and yorke.

jem

I feel like this post should be rephrased as RVP had the best season of any United striker during the Prem era. I think there is a solid case to be made there (Rooney 2009-10, Ruud 2002-3 spring to mind; obviously Ronaldo 2007-8 but not sure if that counts as pure striker.) But RVP as our best striker during the Prem era? Not a chance.

indianabones

Supports
West Brom
Just goes to show how good he was. 1 season and this question is a valid one.

As an outsider I would have to pick Rooney though. He could provide and score. Van persie was great but only 1 season so unfair to put him at the top.

My favourite without question was Cantona though.

cyril C

If only we had them 3 in the same team. I remember when we use to have 3/4 top strikers and now we can barely get 1 :lol: Think that’s because we played 2 up top under fergie so needed more ST.
Can you name those 3/4 in the same season? If you are talking about Cole & York + Sheringham + Ole. Neither of them were TOP strikers that any club would be willing to spend 80m (in todays money). Sheringham was more or less passing his peak as goal scorer, he was mainly used as #10. Ole was, and primarily his who career, an impact sub.

If we had Shearer, Henry, then you are talking..

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Can you name those 3/4 in the same season? If you are talking about Cole & York + Sheringham + Ole. Neither of them were TOP strikers that any club would be willing to spend 80m (in todays money). Sheringham was more or less passing his peak as goal scorer, he was mainly used as #10. Ole was, and primarily his who career, an impact sub.

If we had Shearer, Henry, then you are talking..
In today's market Cole and Yorke would easily be 80 million +, Shearer and Henry would be 120-150 million

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Van Persie was a quality striker. If we had signed him a few years earlier then this could probably be a legitimate debate but he didn't have the longevity to be our greatest ever PL striker. Ruud and Rooney are well clear of him in my opinion. Cole left United just before I started watching football but I'm sure there's a strong argument to be made that he's also streets ahead of Van Persie.

DJ_21

RVN was a different beast! Unreal… use to love it when we played arsenal and it would always be about RVN vs Henry. Who would score more

Josh 76

Those first 6 months he had with UTD was out of this world. I’ve been supporting Utd since the early 80s, and I’ve never seen anything like it.

If you judging on peak form alone, he has to be number 1 for me. But if you are judging on longevity then he doesn’t get in the top 5.

Zetrio2002

Cristiano is still the best in my opinion. His speed, passing and ability to shoot is out of this world. His ability to score from different position made him the best forward to ever played for united in the premier league.

Rooney is no 2 forward. Strictly speaking, he isn't a striker.

No 3 is Andy Cole. Cole had some bad games with really bad misses in the beginning that actually smeared his name but wow, this man can score from any half chances.

The above 3 players have superior link up plays.

OrcaFat

Rooney was the best for me. Scored all types of goals, scored on the big occasions, worked his socks off and if he played well, we generally won.

Made those around him better too with his vision and ability to dominate games. Having average attackers these past few years made you realise how good he was in his pomp.
Yes he was incredible.

It amazes me how many people either can’t remember that or didn’t even realise it. He gets terribly underrated by a pretty sizeable bunch of posters on here. His last few (less impressive) seasons stick in the mind a bit, I suppose.

Spoony

The People's President
Ruud's our best number 9 but Van Persie is my fav. If only we signed him a few years earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.