Robin van Persie is the best striker we have ever had in the PL...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think Persie’s finishing ability is being downplayed a bit too. He was a great finisher, a better one than Ruud even in my opinion. His range of finishing was superb, the technique of finishing was superb - he’d pick out the side net with whip and swerve at a clinical rate. Chip them, long-range, all of the above. Ruud wasn’t even a better finisher than Ole for me from a technical perspective.

During that season with us he also often just needed one sniff and it was a goal.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Really? I think ‘much, much more’ is stretching it.

Van Persie is the more cultured finisher, Ruud’s striker instincts to be in the right place to score time and again we’re second to none though.

There’s quite a gap between when the two were at their respective peaks, it could be argued that Van Persie done it in a relatively more competitive league.
Van Persie had more brilliant goals in him, but was also more prone to missing some sitters.

Van Persie is definitely more talented.

90 + 5min

Ruud van Nistelrooy is best striker we ever had without shadow of the doubt. In Premier League. And that includes Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney. They were of coures better players but as a striker nobody beats van Nistelrooy. Robin van Persie had a great season but he was and still is behind goalscoring machine that Nistelrooy was.

Jaae

Not ITK
van Persie shat himself in the title run-in that year and didn't score for 2 months at one point. Meanwhile Rooney's goals during that period directly resulted in us winning 9 points.

I always cringe when I hear people praising RVP for winning us the title, considering his dissapearing act from February onwards and the fact that Rooney, Carrick, Rafael and Hernandez all had good seasons themselves.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Really? I think ‘much, much more’ is stretching it.

Van Persie is the more cultured finisher, Ruud’s striker instincts to be in the right place to score time and again we’re second to none though.

There’s quite a gap between when the two were at their respective peaks, it could be argued that Van Persie done it in a relatively more competitive league.
All about opinions. Just mine

OldTrevil

I agree, with the caveat of looking at it from 2001 and not having seen Cantona or Yorke and Cole at their peak.

I would rate our top 3 strikers since then as follows.

On footballing ability: RVP > Rooney > RVN
Finishing ability: RVP > RVN > Rooney

Honourable mention: Saha, had his time not been hampered by injury, would likely have pushed RVN out of the first category and Rooney out of the second.

iHicksy

It's definitely hard to make an argument against this. I've not seen a united striker that could create that half a yard of space and score from anywhere. Inside or outside the box, then mix that with almost berbatov-esque technique and he was pretty perfect as a striker. RvN was fantastic, but he couldn't score the goals from outside the box like RvP could. The only player I could make an argument for was a young Rooney. But i'd say RvP was more consistent.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Obviously, he’s no Giggs/Scholes etc type legend, but when I think about it - I think it’s fair to say that his best with us was not bettered with us from any centre forward. Rooney and Cantona were top players and bigger legends, but neither were as good as Persie in 12/13. He's the best we’ve had in the PL era.
Watch out Ruud's fan boys will come and defend their man by saying he scored 40+ goals all comp in a season 02/03.

Honestly, that 12/13 was amazing. I don't think even Ruud & Cole were able to do something that RVP did in 12/13. Carrying the whole attack by himself. Creating chance for himself, others & scoring goals.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
It was the best 6 months of any player we've had since I started following in 2004. He won us so many games. I couldnt believe how good he was.

Andersonson

Peak Rooney is the best we've had. Andrew Cole not far behind.

Ruud is also up there along with RvP, but Rooney edges it for me.

All top top players though

BestRed

Van Persie had better technique and was a great finisher too, but for an out and out instinctive striker its Ruud all day long for me.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Not sure. At his best he was excellent but he only had one decent season and scored what, 27 goals? HE also had a near 2 month spell in that season of being pretty useless.

I think Zlatan was similarly good (maybe not quite at the same level) in his time here but just playing in a worse team. Rooney during his best season as a striker was probably better than either. VanNistelrooy as well.

Not putting RVP down in any way really. We've had some pretty good strikers even just in the last 20 years and he's definitely among them. I mean people like Tevez and Berbatov aren't even being mentioned and they were pretty bloody good really.

Also Diego Forlan who's basically the greatest thing to ever happen.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Ruud was the best all out goalscorer we've had, and it's not particularly close.

As an all round player, peak Rooney was better. Yorke's peak was also excellent and generally underrated outside of United fans, IMO.

RVP had one good season here, and it wasn't even his best season in the Premier League. The season before we signed him was better, and we squeezed the last quality season out of him. His contribution slowed down in the 2nd half of the season. Scuffed a sitter at the Bernabeu too. Incredibly talented, great technique, more capable of the spectacular than most attackers we've had bar Ronaldo, but still nowhere near as ruthless infront of goal as Ruud.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not sure. At his best he was excellent but he only had one decent season and scored what, 27 goals? HE also had a near 2 month spell in that season of being pretty useless.

I think Zlatan was similarly good (maybe not quite at the same level) in his time here but just playing in a worse team. Rooney during his best season as a striker was probably better than either. VanNistelrooy as well.

Not putting RVP down in any way really. We've had some pretty good strikers even just in the last 20 years and he's definitely among them. I mean people like Tevez and Berbatov aren't even being mentioned and they were pretty bloody good really.

Also Diego Forlan who's basically the greatest thing to ever happen.
‘Decent’ is a very interesting way of describing that season tbh. He won us so many games, and your views on Zlatan are interesting too as Persie was also playing in an unspectacular United side I feel. He was dragging us to wins.

Also, I don’t think who scored the most goals matters that much when we are talking of a group of players who all scored lots of goals. At the risk of opening a can of worms, this is why I’ve never cared much for Ronaldo’s goal tally in an argument regarding Messi. Ronaldo would need to score almost double the goals of Messi for it to be a relevant metric in a debate for me. That said, if Ronaldo scores 48 goals in a season and Messi scores 42, both are basically in the category of ‘scored a ridiculous amount of goals’. Other than that, Messi is clearly better (in my opinion). I can hear Ronaldo’s goal tally if Messi was a 20 goal player, as the rest of his game may not compensate for that. Persie’s 27 goals means that goals can’t be used against him. Other than that, in my opinion, he was clearly a better player than Van Nistelrooy. He was basically Van Nistelrooy and Bergkamp combined.

Personally, I was a little underwhelmed by Zlatan when he was here. He often looked very clumsy to me, and missed a very high amount of sitters. Rooney at his best has the strongest argument for being better than Persie I think, as he also got a lot of goals and was of course, quality in other aspects of his game too. For me, Persie was a class act though, one of the PL’s finest. It’s a shame it took him until about 27 years old before he started having full seasons due to injury, but even before then, he was always class when fit and scored regularly, and in big games too.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Ruud all day long.

RVP great contribution for our last title but his fragility stopped him ever being one of the true games greats.

mshnsh

If we just go be peak EPL seasons, RvP's 2012-13 season isn't even his personal best.
  1. Cristiano 2007-08: 31 of 34 (0.91)
  2. Drogba 2009-10: 29 of 32 (0.90)
  3. Mo Salah 2017-18: 32 of 36 (0.88)
  4. Rooney 2009-10: 26 of 32 (0.81)
  5. Rooney 2011-12: 27 of 34 (0.79)
  6. RvP 2011-12: 30 of 38 (0.78)
  7. RvN 2002-03: 25 of 34 (0.73)
  8. RvP 2012-13: 26 of 38 (0.68)
Ronaldo 07/08 was not as good as 06/07 in terms of all round play. Unfortunately, this problem of overrating based purely on the numbers of goals scored has become a part of the game today.If Gerd muller played today, im sure he would be in GOAT conversation purely based on the numbers.

If you are counting goals only than suarez 2013/14 has got to be up there surely. 31 goals from 33 without a single penalty.

RooneyLegend

Are people forgetting Cantona or are people leaving him out cause they feel he was inferior to these no marks? If we're talking strictly no 9's then Rooney shouldn't really b mentioned either cause he played most of his career here as a 2nd striker.

In terms of 9's maybe the answer really is RVP. His all round game was amazing. Never felt he was one for the big games though. Also he had a dry spell during his big season here. RVN just always scored. Cole had a fantastic all round game but was far from clinical.

It's difficult to say between the two Dutchmen. Think it really comes down to what you want your striker to provide. Say our second striker is Eric, I'd say I'd play him with RVN. If it's Rooney I'd go Cole, if it's Yorke I'd go Cole, if it's Scholes ala the 02/04 season, id go RVP.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Are people forgetting Cantona or are people leaving him out cause they feel he was inferior to these no marks? If we're talking strictly no 9's then Rooney shouldn't really b mentioned either cause he played most of his career here as a 2nd striker.

In terms of 9's maybe the answer really is RVP. His all round game was amazing. Never felt he was one for the big games though. Also he had a dry spell during his big season here. RVN just always scored. Cole had a fantastic all round game but was far from clinical.

It's difficult to say between the two Dutchmen. Think it really comes down to what you want your striker to provide. Say our second striker is Eric, I'd say I'd play him with RVN. If it's Rooney I'd go Cole, if it's Yorke I'd go Cole, if it's Scholes ala the 02/04 season, id go RVP.
The year you won the league iirc he scored
Away at
City
Chelsea
Arsenal
Liverpool
Spurs

Cliche Guevara

Watch out Ruud's fan boys will come and defend their man by saying he scored 40+ goals all comp in a season 02/03.

Honestly, that 12/13 was amazing. I don't think even Ruud & Cole were able to do something that RVP did in 12/13. Carrying the whole attack by himself. Creating chance for himself, others & scoring goals.
Ruud’s fanboys?

Have a fecking word with yourself you daftie.

RooneyLegend

The year you won the league iirc he scored
Away at
City
Chelsea
Arsenal
Liverpool
Spurs
Never felt he'd do anything in CL for example. I remember the City game where he was pretty much non existent until he scored a free kick which was in truth a lucky goal.

KeanoMagicHat

Don't agree on any count really. In one season peak I'd take Van Nistelrooy 2002/03, 2 or 3 season spell I would take Yorke and Rooney, longer spell I'd take several strikers. Fantastic player but played most of his best stuff for Arsenal.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
‘Decent’ is a very interesting way of describing that season tbh. He won us so many games, and your views on Zlatan are interesting too as Persie was also playing in an unspectacular United side I feel. He was dragging us to wins.

Also, I don’t think who scored the most goals matters that much when we are talking of a group of players who all scored lots of goals. At the risk of opening a can of worms, this is why I’ve never cared much for Ronaldo’s goal tally in an argument regarding Messi. Ronaldo would need to score almost double the goals of Messi for it to be a relevant metric in a debate for me. That said, if Ronaldo scores 48 goals in a season and Messi scores 42, both are basically in the category of ‘scored a ridiculous amount of goals’. Other than that, Messi is clearly better (in my opinion). I can hear Ronaldo’s goal tally if Messi was a 20 goal player, as the rest of his game may not compensate for that. Persie’s 27 goals means that goals can’t be used against him. Other than that, in my opinion, he was clearly a better player than Van Nistelrooy. He was basically Van Nistelrooy and Bergkamp combined.

Personally, I was a little underwhelmed by Zlatan when he was here. He often looked very clumsy to me, and missed a very high amount of sitters. Rooney at his best has the strongest argument for being better than Persie I think, as he also got a lot of goals and was of course, quality in other aspects of his game too. For me, Persie was a class act though, one of the PL’s finest. It’s a shame it took him until about 27 years old before he started having full seasons due to injury, but even before then, he was always class when fit and scored regularly, and in big games too.
Unspectacular maybe, but they won the league at a canter, and it wasn't just down to Van Persie. Carrick also had easily his best season and we still had a lot of very high quality players. Scholes, Giggs, Rio, Vidic, Rooney, etc. He was also with us for two years after that and wasn't much help when the side did start struggling, apart from in the odd game. Zlatan played in a side that finished 6th and where the only real consistent top quality player outside of him was the goalkeeper. If Van Persie really was so good that this argument doesn't apply, it doesn't really make sense why Arsenal were still quite rubbish with him, as it's not like he suddenly became a much better player when he signed for us.

I think you can even make the same argument for Lukaku's first season. His goals (and assists) were responsible for a majority of the games we won, and again he got near to the 30 mark, but because he was clumsy and awkward looking he was never really given the same credit. In fact he was constantly criticised on here for reasons I still can't get my head around.

The amount of goals scored is kind of relevant when you are talking about a striker, as their primary job is to score as many goals as possible. I mean it is literally the first thing you would judge them on. Van Persie was very good technically compared to some of the others. I do recall often getting annoyed with him slowing down attacks by holding on to the ball too long or losing possession though. Success often brushes over players shortcomings.

He is definitely up there but I'd probably say Ruud was our best striker of the PL era. The 02/03 season he had was also imo better than RVP's first season here. Particularly in the title run in where he was phenominal. After that I'd probably say Rooney just because he did the business over so many seasons, and on the two occasions we did use him as our main out and out striker he got over 30 goals...the main reason we didn't win the title in 09/10 imo was because he picked up an injury. Behind that I'd have RVP based on his first season and time at Arsenal. Only thing I'd say is he didn't go hot and cold like Rooney did. RVP could have a poor game and still score two goals, while Rooney on a poor day was more likely to boot the ball into his own face than into the goal.

pacifictheme

I think Rooney in 11/12 was about as good as RVP in 12/13, if not better. That bloody injury against Bayern was a hammerblow for our season and wrecked our run in and his chances of the PL golden boot, ironically against RVP of Arsenal.

Rooney got 34 goals in 43 games in 11/12, RVP got 30 goals in 46 games in 12/13.
Don't come in here with facts.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
van Persie went on a 10 game goal drought the season we won the league.

I agree with the general consensus of the thread— up there but not the best.

crossy1686

career ending
I was never Ruud's biggest fan but he was our best striker in the PL era by far, I'd even say Rooney was better than RVP.

RVP was just the best one we've had in a long time.

norm87cro

In terms of perfect CF its between Ruud and RVP. Wazza is a SS, C Ronaldo was a wing foward (during his time with us) and others don't come close. Eric was a playmaker as well as a striker.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Unspectacular maybe, but they won the league at a canter, and it wasn't just down to Van Persie. Carrick also had easily his best season and we still had a lot of very high quality players. Scholes, Giggs, Rio, Vidic, Rooney, etc. He was also with us for two years after that and wasn't much help when the side did start struggling, apart from in the odd game. Zlatan played in a side that finished 6th and where the only real consistent top quality player outside of him was the goalkeeper. If Van Persie really was so good that this argument doesn't apply, it doesn't really make sense why Arsenal were still quite rubbish with him, as it's not like he suddenly became a much better player when he signed for us.

I think you can even make the same argument for Lukaku's first season. His goals (and assists) were responsible for a majority of the games we won, and again he got near to the 30 mark, but because he was clumsy and awkward looking he was never really given the same credit. In fact he was constantly criticised on here for reasons I still can't get my head around.

The amount of goals scored is kind of relevant when you are talking about a striker, as their primary job is to score as many goals as possible. I mean it is literally the first thing you would judge them on. Van Persie was very good technically compared to some of the others. I do recall often getting annoyed with him slowing down attacks by holding on to the ball too long or losing possession though. Success often brushes over players shortcomings.

He is definitely up there but I'd probably say Ruud was our best striker of the PL era. The 02/03 season he had was also imo better than RVP's first season here. Particularly in the title run in where he was phenominal. After that I'd probably say Rooney just because he did the business over so many seasons, and on the two occasions we did use him as our main out and out striker he got over 30 goals...the main reason we didn't win the title in 09/10 imo was because he picked up an injury. Behind that I'd have RVP based on his first season and time at Arsenal. Only thing I'd say is he didn't go hot and cold like Rooney did. RVP could have a poor game and still score two goals, while Rooney on a poor day was more likely to boot the ball into his own face than into the goal.
Those are fair points.

Regarding amount of goals, I don’t mean that it isn’t relevant at all, I just mean that I don’t need to count every goal for Messi and Ronaldo to decide who is better. They both score lots of goals. Persie scores enough goals for the fact that someone scored two or three or 5 more not to matter much. If he were a 16 goal striker, then despite his fantastic ability, we have to look at the fact that player x is scoring double.

I’m probably biased because in my mind, I find it hard to exclude his Arsenal form. For two years before he joined us, and a year with us - he was different class. I rate him higher than many it seems, because I thought he was the best PL striker even before he had his first great season at Arsenal. I don’t think it’s fair at all to be asking ‘why were Arsenal still shit if he was so good?’. The season before his last at Arsenal, he returned from injury in January and scored in I think every game but 2 until the end of the season. He was very close to being top scorer if I recall despite only starting his season around January. The next season he went and got 30, then joined us and did it again. He turned up for Arsenal, they just had babies and a finished manager supplementing him.

Regarding Zlatan, I respect his achievements with us. It’s just more of how I felt actually watching him play for us. I didn’t think he was that good a player. Lukaku is someone who gets a distasteful amount of shite in my opinion, and as much as he was far from my favourite, I think United fans have never defended him as one of theirs and feel it okay to give him way too much shit.

Rooney and Ruud, both very top strikers so I could never be mad at an opinion going that way. The only thing for me is that Ruud clearly wasn’t a world class modern forward, so personally, I can never have him better than any such striker who ALSO happened to get 30 plus goals a season while generally just having more class. I wouldn’t need to go to Wiki and count before I decide who was better between Inzaghi and Persie. I know both players scored lots, and even if Inzaghi scored more in a particular season, it wouldn’t have been loads more.

Josh 76

In terms of perfect CF its between Ruud and RVP. Wazza is a SS, C Ronaldo was a wing foward (during his time with us) and others don't come close. Eric was a playmaker as well as a striker.
Kind of agree with this.
Rvp had a bit more to his game that Rvn.
If I had to choose one in a do or die game I would opt for RVP.....just.

Status
Not open for further replies.