Rodri | Man City player

RoyH1

I was looking at his stats this season and the guy is playing like a world class 6, 8 and maybe 10 as well. It's insane how he is dominating in all aspects of being a midfielder.

He's always been a great defensive midfielder but this season he's upped his goalscoring to take himself to another level.
Technically, tactically and physically he's probably the most complete midfielder in the world right now. But I don't know mentality wise. He needs to more present as a leader and certainly not go around saying things like there was only one team on the pitch. "Well done to them. We'll be back next year" and move on.

Eddy_JukeZ

He is by far their best player at the moment and the best midfielder in the world.

Surprised he didn't take a pen though.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
It's gone out of the game as a tactic but just man mark him. Put an athletic player on him all game. He's so clearly the main man for City. Both on stats and the eye test. Shut him down and let's see how that affects City.
That only works if a team has just one midfielder capable of playing that role. That's why it worked with Park against Pirlo, because the other midfielders were Ambrosini and Flamini and neither could damage you on the ball with space. Same for when Klopp did it against Alonso at Madrid since the other CM was Khedira. Against City, you also have Bernardo/KdB, both of whom are great on the ball and can easily damage you if you give them space. Same for Barca with Busquests and Xavi.

That's what makes Rodri such a great player, you don't expect the most defensive midfielder to also be so effective in buildup. Usually a team would ignore the number 6 on the ball and focus on closing space for the other CMs, for City you essentially have 3 CMs who are all great on the ball.

Marwood

That only works if a team has just one midfielder capable of playing that role. That's why it worked with Park against Pirlo, because the other midfielders were Ambrosini and Flamini and neither could damage you on the ball with space. Same for when Klopp did it against Alonso at Madrid since the other CM was Khedira. Against City, you also have Bernardo/KdB, both of whom are great on the ball and can easily damage you if you give them space. Same for Barca with Busquests and Xavi.

That's what makes Rodri such a great player, you don't expect the most defensive midfielder to also be so effective in buildup. Usually a team would ignore the number 6 on the ball and focus on closing space for the other CMs, for City you essentially have 3 CMs who are all great on the ball.
Sure I agree its no guarantee of stopping City because of ability in other positions. But if you don't man mark Rodri, Silva and De Bruyne still get loads of the ball.

But it has to be worth a go. He is the guy who dictates everything. 140 passes last night I read and barely a Madrid player near him. Why not at least try and target that guy?

We did it with Welbeck on Alonso. Worked a treat. It'll always work to some extent, has to. It without a doubt makes that guys game a lot harder.

The only time it doesn't work is if its a total mismatch. I'm thinking of us putting Park on Yaya Toure.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I was looking at his stats this season and the guy is playing like a world class 6, 8 and maybe 10 as well. It's insane how he is dominating in all aspects of being a midfielder.

He's always been a great defensive midfielder but this season he's upped his goalscoring to take himself to another level.
And it's quite apparent when you watch the games just how complete he is and how much impact he has on the field, both with and without the ball. People comparing the likes of Rice to him are having a right laugh.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Sure I agree its no guarantee of stopping City because of ability in other positions. But if you don't man mark Rodri, Silva and De Bruyne still get loads of the ball.

But it has to be worth a go. He is the guy who dictates everything. 140 passes last night I read and barely a Madrid player near him. Why not at least try and target that guy?

We did it with Welbeck on Alonso. Worked a treat. It'll always work to some extent, has to. It without a doubt makes that guys game a lot harder.

The only time it doesn't work is if its a total mismatch. I'm thinking of us putting Park on Yaya Toure.
If you mark him out of the game, you lose out of the overall solidity of the defensive shape, which was the exact thing that got Madrid through the tie.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
It's gone out of the game as a tactic but just man mark him. Put an athletic player on him all game. He's so clearly the main man for City. Both on stats and the eye test. Shut him down and let's see how that affects City.
Teams have did precisely this two seasons ago already. Guardiolas solution was pushing Stones up either as a double-pivot or further up the pitch with one of Bernardo or Gundogan dropping deeper to collect the ball

Marwood

If you mark him out of the game, you lose out of the overall solidity of the defensive shape, which was the exact thing that got Madrid through the tie.
Luck and a good low block got Madrid through the tie.

You don't have to lose that by man marking Rodri. Who was again City's best player.

I see this as a problem with todays football. Managers and fans welded to a particular style. The belief that any slight change makes everything collapse.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Luck and a good low block got Madrid through the tie.

You don't have to lose that by man marking Rodri. Who was again City's best player.

I see this as a problem with todays football. Managers and fans welded to a particular style. The belief that any slight change makes everything collapse.
No, it's just understanding that you really don't want to man mark a midfielder on a Guardiola team. Maybe in the last minute of a game, but for the entire game?

The_Midfielder

I don't watch a lot of football from other leagues..
And as much as I hate city and their players ..but there is no body better than him in the PL
Rice ? There is no comparison.
He is almost like Busquets.. with his ball and passes.
Every city ball.. they are looking for him.. to switch play.. to give it to the offensive players ..

The_Midfielder

I have seen many times Bernando drop deep.maybe when Rodri is man marked .. bernando drops deep..

Marwood

Teams have did precisely this two seasons ago already. Guardiolas solution was pushing Stones up either as a double-pivot or further up the pitch with one of Bernardo or Gundogan dropping deeper to collect the ball
I can't really remember it like that but you'll know better than me.

But yeah, why not make City go to plan B. Especially if you can surprise a team with it.

As opposed to giving Pep exactly the game he wants. I know you lost last night but before the game I think you'd take how the game went. Just with better end product.

Marwood

No, it's just understanding that you really don't want to man mark a midfielder on a Guardiola team. Maybe in the last minute of a game, but for the entire game?
There's no straightforward answer to dealing with City but equally do you want to let Rodri do whatever he wants? Which is what happened last night.

It's not like the current approach is working. Everybody gets dominated by them.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yep, I actually thought we should have just gone man to man all over the pitch actually. Get Jude in him and see what happens

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
There's no straightforward answer to dealing with City but equally do you want to let Rodri do whatever he wants? Which is what happened last night.

It's not like the current approach is working. Everybody gets dominated by them.
Klopp teams don't man-mark Rodri. They're really good at pressing, counter-pressing and progressing with the ball in a way that makes Pep's team look mortal at times.

I'm just saying that Rodri and Pep are no Pirlo and Ancelotti, who'll just let you hound the DM all night with no adjustment

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Before the game I would have thought man marking them was a good option for us, as we should have the better of most duels on paper. But after watching De Bruyne truck Camavinga AND Valverde at the same time before shaking off and outrunning Rudiger with the ball at his feet........

Blood Mage

If he wasn't a City player I would say he did not deserve to be on the losing side last night. Incredible player.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I thought he was quite unadventurous for his usual self last night. It was only that tame shot at the end of the 90 where he let fly, considering he constantly had the ball around the edge of the box.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Was excellent last night, had to play a little deeper than usual 1st half, almost sitting at 6 because of Madrids counter threat. 2nd half was more top tier Rodri. The rest vs Luton did him good after a tired looking couple of weeks.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Before the game I would have thought man marking them was a good option for us, as we should have the better of most duels on paper. But after watching De Bruyne truck Camavinga AND Valverde at the same time before shaking off and outrunning Rudiger with the ball at his feet........
He recently developed accute asthma

Steriods.