Rodri | Man City player

RooneyLegend

Feels like only a year or two ago Saul Niguez was the must have midfield player from Atletico. Is he not that good?

Edit: Dodgy source but maybe still some interest?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...gn-128m-Atletico-Madrid-star-Saul-Niguez.html
He was never that good.
This is getting ridiculous now, he only moved last summer so why didnt we go for him when he was at Villarreal?
The mismanagement at this club is really something else. We need to have a system in place that stops this foolishness from happening.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Atletico is more of a contender to win CL and challenge for league though. Plus he might not have felt ready to leave Spain being in his early 20s.

Sometimes it's not as simple as just whacking a bid in and expecting a player to come crawling.

Sea-Cow

Unfortunately, "and wants to go" is a pretty big stumbling block for us.

Offering him obscene wages is our only hope.

Dave_MUFC

Think he's almost definitely off to City, just seen on his Instagram, started following a fair few City players and going back and liking his photos from 2018...

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Think he's almost definitely off to City, just seen on his Instagram, started following a fair few City players and going back and liking his photos from 2018...
As far I can see he doesn't actually have any accounts on social media?

Wayne's World

Rodri and Cancelo they are getting while we are looking at Longstaff and Rice?

feck me what happened to this football club? :(:(:(

el3mel

I'm honestly so fecking jealous of City and how the are managing their football team.

ottosec

A fantastic player at a fantastic price in today's market.

Nothing we could do, though. I doubt he has any interest in joining the current United.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Football analytics people don't seem to rate him.

Though from everything else I've read/seen of him, he looks quality. Oh well.

PoTMS

A fantastic player at a fantastic price in today's market.

Nothing we could do, though. I doubt he has any interest in joining the current United.
Jorginho joined CL-less Chelsea over City last season. Too many excuses for our piss poor transfer strategy.

AshRK

Hate to say it but City are here to stay and dominate. If we do not add quality the gap between the two will keep on increasing. They have seriously upped their game since 2016 while we have been dithering.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
This was known months ago.

City replacing Fernandinho as a priority. Thought Saul at first, Rodri more defensive, the next Busquets?

City surely will be even better next season.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Saul has a contract until 2026. Which was a nine year contract when he signed which would suggest to me that he intends on staying there for a long time. Either that or Atletico are trying to keep his value sky high. At the moment he has £130m release clause.
sell pogba - buy saul
130m looks a decent price for him... in a few years it will look a bargin if prices carry on the way they have been

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Never seen Rodri play but I placing all hope he'll be useless based on the fact that the man they wanted last summer in this position was Jorginho

SER19

So at what point do City fans stop the cringeworthy claim that they don’t pay what other clubs can? More players In the top 50 most expensive signings ever than any club, and at least 1 to be added in Rodri this summer.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
So at what point do City fans stop the cringeworthy claim that they don’t pay what other clubs can? More players In the top 50 most expensive signings ever than any club, and at least 1 to be added in Rodri this summer.
We've walked away from a small number of deals when we felt they were too expensive, and other clubs signed those players. But clearly there's a hell of a lot more examples where we did not walk away.

ottosec

Jorginho joined CL-less Chelsea over City last season. Too many excuses for our piss poor transfer strategy.
He joined Chelsea because of Sarri.

We're clearly not a preferred destination for the top players these days.

passing-wind

Everyone moaning highlights the exact problem this club has with identifying targets. You all complain that Matic is immobile and slow yet scream for Rodri who in essence is a similar stature player but with much better technique.

City have spent 24 months trying to find a replacement for Fernandinho because they are catering for players who fit their system. How does a player of his profile fit our system ? Better yet what even is our "system" under Solskjaer ? Signing Rodri would be an exemplification of what we have with Fred, we are buying players for the sake of it with no vision to how we utilise them in our starting 11.

I'd bet alot of money that if Fred was playing a lone defensive midfield role for city he would be a completely different player to what we see for us. He would be coached / instructed on what pep would demand from him. Instead we signed him and closest description from the club was "Carrick replacement". Absolutely no impetus to how he can perform for the team.

I'd sooner rather Longstaff be a target because the scouts have identified him as well as Phelan / Solskjaer, than target Rodri simply because city are looking at him. Better yet look how that strategy transpired with Fred and Sanchez. Im not a big fan of Ole's management but at the very least he's changing the ideology of our transfer which has been a failure for 10 years.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Rodri and Cancelo they are getting while we are looking at Longstaff and Rice?

feck me what happened to this football club? :(:(:(
The one consolation you can take is this probably means another year or two that Liverpool won't win the league.

City could dominate more than you guys did in the Ferguson years at this rate.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Fernandinho's replacement I take it?

Is Saul Niguez still seen as major talent? Maybe Man. United should put a bit in for him or even Koke.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Never seen Rodri play but I placing all hope he'll be useless based on the fact that the man they wanted last summer in this position was Jorginho
Personally never rated Jorginho, but this guy is the real deal. Busquets-esque.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Is he really that good? Atletico didn't really had an impressive season even though it was good on paper (2nd place in La Liga).

izec

Is he really that good? Atletico didn't really had an impressive season even though it was good on paper (2nd place in La Liga).
Yeah, he is excellent. Will fit in at City like Bernardo is now. he is the perfect Pep DM. His problem was playing for Simeone, who isnt getting the best out of him with their style, but Pep will elevate him in his system.