Rodri | Man City player

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Football analytics people don't seem to rate him.

Though from everything else I've read/seen of him, he looks quality. Oh well.
I've never seen Rodri play but that guy sounds like a weapon. Acting surprised because City have signed someone with a 'less than spectacular statistical profile'. This isn't Football Manager. 'Could be a Simeone effect' or maybe it could be that you can't determine a player's qualities by a bunch of numbers on a computer.

Never seen Rodri play but I placing all hope he'll be useless based on the fact that the man they wanted last summer in this position was Jorginho
Personally feel Jorginho has been underappreciated quite considerably. In the right team he could be an excellent asset.

bucky

I've never seen Rodri play but that guy sounds like a weapon. Acting surprised because City have signed someone with a 'less than spectacular statistical profile'. This isn't Football Manager. 'Could be a Simeone effect' or maybe it could be that you can't determine a player's qualities by a bunch of numbers on a computer.
He has some weird opinions at times, still worth following, since he has useful information to offer. Nonetheless it's a bit bizarre, that a person who's livelihood is literally analytics, isn't looking at what Rodrigo did at Villarreal for example. He really should know, the larger the sample size, the better. Rodrigo's xG assisted and xGBuildup figures were higher at Villarreal, despite playing for an inferior team. Koke and Saul would most likely have better numbers as well, if they would play for a different team. That's just Atletico and their style.

And actually you can judge players with data without having seen them play.

Inter Yer Nan

Football analytics people don't seem to rate him.

Though from everything else I've read/seen of him, he looks quality. Oh well.
This is why it's better to just watch games rather than speculate based on stats which can often be misleading.

Rodri was probably Atletico's best player last season. At the very least, he was their best midfielder. The season before he was Villarreal's best player and without him their standard dropped dramatically because they had far less control in his area of the field. I watch Atletico every week.

IMO he's a serious candidate for best in the world in his specific position and one of the players that will make the biggest short-mid-long term impact on any club in this summers market.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
This is why it's better to just watch games rather than speculate based on stats which can often be misleading.

Rodri was probably Atletico's best player last season. At the very least, he was their best midfielder. The season before he was Villarreal's best player and without him their standard dropped dramatically because they had far less control in his area of the field. I watch Atletico every week.

IMO he's a serious candidate for best in the world in his specific position and one of the players that will make the biggest short-mid-long term impact on any club in this summers market.
Well Michael Caley obviously watches a lot of matches too. But, even the best match analysts are not able to watch every match. Stats help fill in the gaps for the matches people are not able to watch.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
He has some weird opinions at times, still worth following, since he has useful information to offer. Nonetheless it's a bit bizarre, that a person who's livelihood is literally analytics, isn't looking at what Rodrigo did at Villarreal for example. He really should know, the larger the sample size, the better. Rodrigo's xG assisted and xGBuildup figures were higher at Villarreal, despite playing for an inferior team. Koke and Saul would most likely have better numbers as well, if they would play for a different team. That's just Atletico and their style.

And actually you can judge players with data without having seen them play.
Interesting article, thanks for the link, I hadn't read that before. Didn't realise what an influential role that guy performed at Liverpool. It's funny as well because I was going to comment that a quality such as a player's vision I'd have thought would be essentially impossible to accurately capture by statistics but the analysis of Keita seemingly disproves that.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
If you are looking for ways this transfer could not work you can argue that while Fernandinho was not the deep lying playmaker type Pep usually prefers in that role(Busquets, Xabi) having a destroyer like him in front of the back 4 made sense since they were basically playing with #10s as #8s(De Bruyne, David Silva, Bernardo Silva). And while Rodri is more like Busquets or Xabi and a much better passer than Fernandinho City will be much more prone to counter attacks without Fernandinho there to stop them.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Everyone moaning highlights the exact problem this club has with identifying targets. You all complain that Matic is immobile and slow yet scream for Rodri who in essence is a similar stature player but with much better technique.

City have spent 24 months trying to find a replacement for Fernandinho because they are catering for players who fit their system. How does a player of his profile fit our system ? Better yet what even is our "system" under Solskjaer ? Signing Rodri would be an exemplification of what we have with Fred, we are buying players for the sake of it with no vision to how we utilise them in our starting 11.

I'd bet alot of money that if Fred was playing a lone defensive midfield role for city he would be a completely different player to what we see for us. He would be coached / instructed on what pep would demand from him. Instead we signed him and closest description from the club was "Carrick replacement". Absolutely no impetus to how he can perform for the team.

I'd sooner rather Longstaff be a target because the scouts have identified him as well as Phelan / Solskjaer, than target Rodri simply because city are looking at him. Better yet look how that strategy transpired with Fred and Sanchez. Im not a big fan of Ole's management but at the very least he's changing the ideology of our transfer which has been a failure for 10 years.
Rodri is similar in stature to Matic but is far more mobile and very quick. The Spaniard is also superior in passing the ball, long or short.

I do agree with signing Longstaff though, who I think could develop into a brilliant holding #6.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If you are looking for ways this transfer could not work you can argue that while Fernandinho was not the deep lying playmaker type Pep usually prefers in that role(Busquets, Xabi) having a destroyer like him in front of the back 4 made sense since they were basically playing with #10s as #8s(De Bruyne, David Silva, Bernardo Silva). And while Rodri is more like Busquets or Xabi and a much better passer than Fernandinho City will be much more prone to counter attacks without Fernandinho there to stop them.
Rodri is very quick and mobile in comparison and will surprise many with his off the ball work.

Renegade

You’d think that, but Gundogen played DM for city with not much change to how open they are to attack’s.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
You’d think that, but Gundogen played DM for city with not much change to how open they are to attack’s.
Alonso or Thiago were playing the lone DM in a 4-1-4-1 at Bayern. It can be done within a good setup.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Got to admire how well run City are. Every signing is pretty clear exactly what they are targeting. Think he'll be a good signing for them, was restricted a bit at Atletico.

redIndianDevil

Damn. I have a horrible feeling that we missed two of the best holding midfielders available in the market(Dombele being the other one). Our holding midfielders are either past it or very inexperienced and not really that good.

Ban

Damn. I have a horrible feeling that we missed two of the best holding midfielders available in the market(Dombele being the other one). Our holding midfielders are either past it or very inexperienced and not really that good.
How exactly have we missed him?

Hawks2008

Yeah but those guys won't get the club, only an English player will. City and Spurs are going to look really silly signing a foreigner when they could get a hungry homegrown lad instead.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Yeah but those guys won't get the club, only an English player will. City and Spurs are going to look really silly signing a foreigner when they could get a hungry homegrown lad instead.
City and Spurs have homegrown players too who form an integral part of the squad. It's just right now the players they want don't happen to be English.

Not really sure where this argument is going but you sign the right fit for your squad and not the biggest name.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
He is a beast in my PES. I think he will excel for City, probably brought in to replace Fernandinho.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Is he really as good as his reputation seems to indicate? Granted, I've watched Atletico only a few times last season but Partey impressed me more.

Ooge_

Supports
Werder
Rodris Transfer could promote Gündogans move. He is linked with Dortmund and Bayern. Thiago and Gündogan would be a nice pair in midfield.

Rodris Transfer could promote Gündogans move. He is linked with Dortmund and Bayern. Thiago and Gündogan would be a nice pair in midfield.
On the contrary. Rodrigo's arrival will free him up to move into his preferred advanced position and with this being Silva's last season, I could see him sign an extension with City. That's been the latest news anyway and I haven't read any reports about BVB or Bayern since.

TsuWave

Top team, with a top coach, playing great football and buying some of the best players around every summer. It will be hard to catch up.

charlie9882

Expected to stay, even if it means losing him on a free next summer

ExecutionerWasp001

Thought they'd have real trouble replacing Fernandinho as it's hard to find players who have his level of shithousery who can get away with it on a consistent basis. A genius move buying a Simeone player as he's likely been fully trained in the dark arts.

TheHeya

Who is to say we weren’t in for these players but they simply do not want to join a club in a mess with no CL football.

el3mel

They replaced Fernandinho, have B. Silva to replace David Silva and still have KDB so that's their midfield secured for years coming.

They're also brought Angelino back and are trying to sign Cancelo so they replace their both fullbacks (which they actually bought 2 fecking years ago!).

God I'm so fecking jealous of how they're planning ahead of the future. They're going to be dominant for years coming with or without Pep.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Apparently Giggs told us not to sign this lad, not sure why though.

redIndianDevil

Who is to say we weren’t in for these players but they simply do not want to join a club in a mess with no CL football.
If we were in for those guys, there would have been rumours and links. At least Dombele there were a few rumours, but there was zilch for Rodri

Thisistheone

Seen him live back in April and he looked a class act. Perfect Pep type. Keeps things ticking over, controls the play and will probably improve even more at City.

Full bodied red

You're absolutely spot on.

We can't move for a MF until we sort out the Pogba bollocks and know precisely what we need, so now not only wil it be a never-ending bollocks until Pogba's finally gone, but it's cost us the chance of getting a decent replacement for him.

Probably only Eriksen left now and it seems he doesn't want to come to OT

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Haven't watched a La Liga game since Barcelona beat Madrid 3-2 at the Bernabeau because Sky Sports lost the rights, so I have no idea what Rodri's going to be like. Yay, though?

jeepers

Real feckin tragic how since Moyes said (true or not) we should strive to be like City that the gap has grown even bigger between us and them.

Wish we even had half City’s decisiveness. It all started when they running the club in preparation of Pep’s arrival as manager.

It’s all some kind of sick self-fulfilling prophecy.

Scaring Europe to Death

Supports
Manchester City
Football rivalry would be nothing without irony and humour, but whilst City are now enjoying a few years in the ascendancy, with a seemingly well-oiled long term strategy, I'd love to speak to the journalists who publicly sneered at the 2008 takeover as a "Rich Man's Plaything" and "He'll soon get bored"