Role of Press/Media in our downfall

AshRK

How much do you guys think the negative press have impacted us since Sir alex retired?

I still remember how the press were very harsh towards LvG and then over exaggerating Di Maria's issue. LvG' s football wasn't great and he himself has to be blamed but the way each week he had to answer frustrating rumours and defend his players and the club, surely would have had a negative impact to his morale. Each week he had to defend himself and the club which was embarrassing to the point he even walked out of one of the PC.

Similarly during Jose's tenure all we heard was negative news. I specifically remember the way we were criticized after drawing 0-0 at Anfield during his second season. I don't think that was a bad result but the likes of Oliver Holt and others kept on criticizing that performance and then we went and lost to Huddersfield the following week. Surely, players would have been affected by that negative press. And then the way Sanchez's fee was always highlighted to the fact that the first game that featured Sanchez in the FA cup, all the talk was how Sanchez's fee is more than combined fee of our opponents to the famous "Pep or money"narration. Again not defending Jose himself but he had to bear the negative press since September 2016 when we lost back to back in PL. It was like every time he entered to face the media there was one negative thing he had to answer.

Less said about the journalism in relation to Pogba the better. I am not Pogba's biggest fan but I have never seen a player who has been scrutinized like him. From Souness to Scholes to Redknapp to Custis all have been negative towards him and exaggerating the issue. The recent example is just from past week when Ole clearly told the press that Pogba won't feature as he has some Back Spasm but even after that you had people from Sky saying he is intentionally not playing as he wants to move.

Surely all of this must have some impact in the dressing room and ultimately influence the fans to become negative also. You don't see a same scrutiny done for other clubs. I seriously miss the way Sir Alex handled these media and eliminated most of the negative press. Personally I feel press also has played some role in our downfall by causing some unnecessary unrest and over exaggerating every issue.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
The press have it easy with section's of the fan base. They're basically living of the negativity from the fans.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
I agree somewhat that it has driven a negativity amongst fans that the players will ultimately feed off.
This is why we have ups and downs and successful and unsuccessful periods at clubs as mental strength plays an important part of a teams ability.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’ve pushed this agenda for years now, and I’m in total agreement with this. The press have been obsessively and disproportionately covering us post-Fergie, and have led blatant campaigns to get both LVG and Mourinho sacked as far as I’m concerned.

The mood they have helped establish around the club makes the shirt even heavier for the players, and no doubt affects their confidence playing for us. I appreciate there is profile and pressure playing for United, but there are times when I’ve felt that if they could just leave us alone for a couple of months to get our shit together, we might have a chance. However, we constantly take to the field with a massive pressure of a crisis being declared if we don’t win. We’re the only top club that gets a fuss made even if we win a game only 1-0, or if we don’t have enough shots on goal etc. Nobody else cares when Liverpool win 1-0. I’ll never forget the FA Cup game a few years ago where we beat Sheffield United 1-0 with a Depay penalty I think. About 3 PL teams were knocked out that weekend by lower league opposition but we had the most coverage. In fact, you would have thought we had lost.

I’ve seen other teams grind out results for a while whilst a manager is introducing his plans etc, and ultimately, performances start picking up too. We don’t have the luxury, as immense pressure would be on, whether we are winning or not, so long as we were not winning 4-0 each game.

izzydiggler

Yeah, it's the media's fault and negative threads on Redcafe. We just didn't believe enough...

fps

No impact. Their job is always to stir up nonsense, and if teams start losing pressure comes very quickly. No different from any other club, water off a duck's back if you have a plan in place and the right people to enact it.

Maticmaker

I don't believe the press have a role, negative or otherwise in what you refer to as 'our downfall'.

The press/media exist to sell newspapers, get likes, or increase circulation, or exposure of their particular format. Press/media coverage for United is the oxygen which we thrive on, biggest club in the world, most profitable, always linked with every player who looks like or gives the impression he wants to leave his club and join us, theatre of dreams, etc. When we are successful we do so because of who we are/were, when we are not successful, it is who we have become, or are now.

The time to worry is when the press and media ignore us!

Superden

Poor management at boardroom level and dressing room level is to blame. everything else is whataboutery that RAWK would be proud of

Reactions: Theonas

reddevil702

None, the board are the only ones to blame. Going away from everything that made this club successful and instead trying to follow the Real Madrid Galactico model. If players aren't mentally strong enough to handle the press then they shouldn't be playing for a club of this size.

patty123

How much do you guys think the negative press have impacted us since Sir alex retired?

I still remember how the press were very harsh towards LvG .
Right firstly not sticking up for these toerags. Now lets be honest being caught on camera calling a respected among his peers a "fat bas***d (custis) is not likely to win you many fans in this day and age of hyper sensitive towards peoples feelings etc is not going to help you're cause.

Less said about the journalism in relation to Pogba the better. I am not Pogba's biggest fan but I have never seen a player who has been scrutinized like him. From Souness to Scholes to Redknapp to Custis all have been negative towards him and exaggerating the issue. The recent example is just from past week when Ole clearly told the press that Pogba won't feature as he has some Back Spasm but even after that you had people from Sky saying he is intentionally not playing as he wants to move.sensitive
Really you don't remember the horrendous abuse DDG took for yrs when he first arrive, christ even red neville humiliated the guy on live tv at half time during a spurs games for a clanger, while never once mentioning the fact at the same time Hart was doing far worse, but hey red nev was one of harts national coaches at the time. Also dont forget, even the rags had DDG on the plane on the way home to Spain with nearly every story they wrote about him, and thats not talking about Real looking to sign him either.

AFC NimbleThumb

People like to act as if they live in a silo & that outside influences don’t impact their reactions to the club on here and apparently it’s RAWK’ish to believe a sports media base that we’re often shunned under sir Alex may have an agenda but given how much we are on television/radio etc. I can’t help but feel we are vastly under represented across podcasts, television, radio, written media.

The saddest part for me though is how the media driven narrative around a player like Pogba has been so successful. We have a swarm of fans that want us to sell our best player because he doesn’t ‘live the values’ whilst the team is littered with players like Matic that not only don’t live the values but are actually shite footballers.

The fanbase is so vast we should honestly require more from our media outlets than this click bait nonsense we repost in the transfer tweet thread.

Where is the actual investigative journalism into why we are so bad, we all know we’re rubbish so tell us factually why; surely that is their duty.

Green_Red

Blaming someone that writes words for our performances over the last few years. Like get fecking real. Might as well blame the tram drivers in St. Petersburg while your at it.

Amarsdd

Not sure if it affects the management or the footballing side of the club, but it sure does affects the fanbase and the image of the club. Media manipulation, sensationalization, and pure fake news do have a real effect on people as clearly shown by the 2016 US elections. And it is no different on football fans. Actually, I think it is more enhanced on fans, as there is already deep-rooted partisanship. Now I'm not its a clear agenda against United in the british media or just that negative media regarding United brings in the most clicks, actually most of it I wouldn't even call it journalism as its more like banter from opposition fans. And it has clearly put on and enhanced the negative disposition in United fanbase. Even when there are good going-ons regarding United, the media sure tries to put negative connotations to their reporting and the fanbase follows as well. For example, we really needed a dominant ball-playing CB and since we got linked to Maguire and signed him, most of the reporting has been comparisons with the current level of Van Dijk, his lack of pace, his price and all-in-all whether he is good enough at all, and not about the fact that we have clearly addressed a big problem in the first team. Similarly with Wan-Bissaka and the whole new recruiting plan of United under Ole to target younger, room to develop and determined to play for United.

From my pov it also is clear in the caf. Having lurked the caf for more than a decade and only started posting recently, it seems it has gone a lot more negative even during good news. And there is this constant shitting on your own club which has really got me thinking whether I would be better of not reading the caf at all. Of course there were negative fans and posts in the past as well, but it always came as banter and followed with jest and more fun. Nowadays it just seems so serious to the point I sometimes think these are just trolls.

Now I think I'm just rambling now, so I'll just end it here.

Last edited:

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
Everyone hated us on our way to the top because sometimes we seemed to 'wing it' in the final minutes.

The same (mostly neutrals) took great pride in our downfall after SAF. It is natural.

Also we are one of the biggest brands - any story linked with us is bound to get clicks. The way I see it - positive United stories are read by mainly United fans; Negative ones are read by all alike so it makes financial sense to sensationalize these stories.

Inter Yer Nan

I’ve pushed this agenda for years now, and I’m in total agreement with this. The press have been obsessively and disproportionately covering us post-Fergie, and have led blatant campaigns to get both LVG and Mourinho sacked as far as I’m concerned.

The mood they have helped establish around the club makes the shirt even heavier for the players, and no doubt affects their confidence playing for us. I appreciate there is profile and pressure playing for United, but there are times when I’ve felt that if they could just leave us alone for a couple of months to get our shit together, we might have a chance. However, we constantly take to the field with a massive pressure of a crisis being declared if we don’t win. We’re the only top club that gets a fuss made even if we win a game only 1-0, or if we don’t have enough shots on goal etc. Nobody else cares when Liverpool win 1-0. I’ll never forget the FA Cup game a few years ago where we beat Sheffield United 1-0 with a Depay penalty I think. About 3 PL teams were knocked out that weekend by lower league opposition but we had the most coverage. In fact, you would have thought we had lost.

I’ve seen other teams grind out results for a while whilst a manager is introducing his plans etc, and ultimately, performances start picking up too. We don’t have the luxury, as immense pressure would be on, whether we are winning or not, so long as we were not winning 4-0 each game.
Spot on. I agree.

AshRK

Blaming someone that writes words for our performances over the last few years. Like get fecking real. Might as well blame the tram drivers in St. Petersburg while your at it.
The problem is it is not just about the performance , it is also about other issue that they tend to over exaggerate. Look at Pogba's issue, if he sneezes we see a news that he is looking to leave. You won't see that with any other club and definitely some of the fans will eventually buy such news and start resenting the player. It is all but natural.

dove

Well, are there any positive news about us? We are shambles on and off the pitch so understandably most news about us are negative.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah, it's the media's fault and negative threads on Redcafe. We just didn't believe enough...
This. We’ve always had negativity follow us - because simply put, we sell papers. Even SAF wasn’t too adored or above criticism from the media - but he used it to his advantage and ultimately he just kept winning - shutting them up in the best way possible.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
If we weren't so inept at being a football club, they'd have nothing to write about.

Tarrou

I believe the press have negatively impacted fans view of the club at times, and what they think of certain players

Negative stories generate more clicks so its easy to see how that would happen

I'm not sure if thats had any discernible impact on how shit we actually are though, has it? That's on the owners, the management, and the players.

mav_9me

If you can't deal with media criticism then you don't stand much of a chance at success anyway.

Imagine what real/bayern/barca players/mgmt have to deal with.

Price of being a big club.

Green_Red

The problem is it is not just about the performance , it is also about other issue that they tend to over exaggerate. Look at Pogba's issue, if he sneezes we see a news that he is looking to leave. You won't see that with any other club and definitely some of the fans will eventually buy such news and start resenting the player. It is all but natural.
Then don't read the news. You're the person that's reading this shite, so in essence you're the problem, is that what you're saying?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The press and socials certainly get everyone all irate.

If you believed them, we've been turned down by 100s of players, most of which we never even asked about.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
The press was just as negative during the Fergie years. Remember "shredding his legacy at every turn"? It's nothing new.

AshRK

Then don't read the news. You're the person that's reading this shite, so in essence you're the problem, is that what you're saying?
:lol: why are you getting so sensitive about the issue. Isn't Media's job to just present the truth and not make lies. Also, if you bothered to read my OP I did say the person in charge are responsible for them getting the sack just that media made it hard for the club. You may disagree with that and feel otherwise, I do feel in modern times media has an important role. Also, you cannot ask every person to not read or respond. Imagine saying to the manager if you don't like their question don't respond. Even not responding will create unrest. Like I gave Pogba's example, all it does is create unrest and the moment we lose a game or two fans become even more frustrated.

RedDevilRoshi

They probably know we are a very soft bunch that get winded up so damn easily :lol:

paulblart

They hate us so much because we hurt them so much. We were the dominant force in English football for 20 years, of course they were always going to enjoy our downfall. Plus, it sells. Nothing to whine about really.

Green_Red

:lol: why are you getting so sensitive about the issue. Isn't Media's job to just present the truth and not make lies. Also, if you bothered to read my OP I did say the person in charge are responsible for them getting the sack just that media made it hard for the club. You may disagree with that and feel otherwise, I do feel in modern times media has an important role. Also, you cannot ask every person to not read or respond. Imagine saying to the manager if you don't like their question don't respond. Even not responding will create unrest. Like I gave Pogba's example, all it does is create unrest and the moment we lose a game or two fans become even more frustrated.
Im not being sensitive. Believe me I couldnt care less what you read or dont read, hut if youre reading it and you dont like then stop reading it. Its a sad fact but drama sells. But you cant blame the media for Pogba saying he wants a new challenge or out form for the last few years. Even under Fergie for years and years we had nothing but bad press. Its nothing new to long time supporters. But it aint their fault, no matter what you want to say to try and make yourself believe it is. Nada to do with them.

Honestly this could be the contender for 2019s most pointless thread.

AshRK

Im not being sensitive. Believe me I couldnt care less what you read or dont read, hut if youre reading it and you dont like then stop reading it. Its a sad fact but drama sells. But you cant blame the media for Pogba saying he wants a new challenge or out form for the last few years. Even under Fergie for years and years we had nothing but bad press. Its nothing new to long time supporters. But it aint their fault, no matter what you want to say to try and make yourself believe it is. Nada to do with them.

Honestly this could be the contender for 2019s most pointless thread.
And yet here you are commenting on the pointless thread. It's funny how you lecture people to not read and yet you are doing the same, reading and commenting. No one said media are the reason we are going down, so again no need to be sensitive for your media brothers. First try to read the post and understand it, if not just bugger off.

Dr. StrangeHate

If our players don't have the metal to handle the negativity and criticism from press or fans they definitely don't have the metal to win any big trophy. So the press criticism is irrelevant for big trophies.

Green_Red

And yet here you are commenting on the pointless thread. It's funny how you lecture people to not read and yet you are doing the same, reading and commenting. No one said media are the reason we are going down, so again no need to be sensitive for your media brothers. First try to read the post and understand it, if not just bugger off.
I've read it, its bollox.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
The press have always gone after United and the coverage has just gotten bigger and bigger, as a percentage it is probably the same as it ever was, the difference is that there is just so much more of it and it keeps on growing.

We only have ourselves to blame as a club for the fall off though. Sir Alex left us as Champions, at a canter. We didn't maintain it.

RedStarUnited

The press couldn't wait for Pep to fail. They all enjoyed watching him struggle in the first season.

All Ole has to do is get the team to perform. And they will all love him again.

Cloud7

No we’ve just been crap. The media are always looking for a new story, this isn’t exclusive to us nor is it exclusive to this period. They were always on the lookout for a chance to say sir Alex was finished, Rooney was always in the media for this or that, there were numerous campaigns against Ronaldo (he’s a diver, he doesn’t do it in the big matches etc) the only difference was we were good back then, so we didn’t care. Now that we’re crap as a fan base we tend to notice the media negativity more.

It’s not even just us. The media were frothing at the mouth to call Pep a failure and say that his football couldn’t work in England. Similarly with Sarri. Wenger was attacked every week during his crappy last few years.

Dante

Average bang
The media offer a distorted reflection of United's problems. But the problems themselves are of our own making.

In general, the media are nowhere near as important to what happens on the pitch as this forum makes out.

AFC NimbleThumb

Jose Mourinho was bought in to be a ‘pundit’ for the last 2 teams he’s managed & been fired from.

Whilst I believe we get the short end of the stick Sky made it abundantly clear that one team was getting a rough ride at some point today but judging from the Jose thread he was far more balanced than they would have been hoping for.

Punditry is at an all time low when Souness is getting asked to turn up every week.