Music Rolling Stones 500 Greatest Songs of all time

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You all need some proper metal in your lives.
You better not be trying to suggest the screechy stuff!

Anyway, I think it's probably more important to know where Time in a Bottle is on the list.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
you’ll note that the Alison Krauss song I directly referred to was on his list. So I was talking about his list, not old music generally. I like old music and I like new music, just like any music fan (well actually, a lot of music fans just like old music it would seem). Of course I understand that there is music that sounds old now that was innovative at the time.
Listen man you telling someone that they only like old/old sounding music, I made a joke about the Missy Elliot song being a bit old and it became about innovation.
Just tell us you were asked to help out with the list. :lol:

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Listen man you telling someone that they only like old/old sounding music, I made a joke about the Missy Elliot song being a bit old and it became about innovation.
Just tell us you were asked to help out with the list. :lol:
You got me bang to rights pal. Well deduced.

Red Stone

You all need some proper metal in your lives.
I just realized they haven't put fecking War Pigs on the list. Easily the greatest metal song of all time, and basically provided the blueprint for the entire genre. Putting Paranoid on the list and not War Pigs is a travesty. Same goes for putting Enter Sandman on and not One.

Anyway, Rolling Stone don't have the balls to put a historically great extreme metal song like Angel of Death on a list like this, because of the lyrics. Somehow Lil' Wayne's A Milli is fine, though.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I just realized they haven't put fecking War Pigs on the list. Easily the greatest metal song of all time, and basically provided the blueprint for the entire genre. Putting Paranoid on the list and not War Pigs is a travesty. Same goes for putting Enter Sandman on and not One.

Anyway, Rolling Stone don't have the balls to put a historically great extreme metal song like Angel of Death on a list like this, because of the lyrics. Somehow Lil' Wayne's A Milli is fine, though.
We can see a dodgy pattern emerging here.

Ivor Ballokov

Get your freak on
Yes, indeed.
As I’ve said, the Rolling Stone list is deficient in many areas (music not in English or from outside the West etc.), and you can’t really ‘rank’ music anyway. But at least they’re trying to think outside the box a bit with some of the pop inclusions. Many people on here seem want to adhere to the (rigged) convention by having the top 20 songs filled out by Beatles, Stones and Dylan songs and balk at the idea that anything more recent can be placed above them. It’s the equivalent of when they re-do those lists of great literature and people get mad that someone contemporary is ranked above John Donne due to ‘political correctness’.
Good straw man.

you’ll note that the Alison Krauss song I directly referred to was on his list. So I was talking about his list, not old music generally. I like old music and I like new music, just like any music fan (well actually, a lot of music fans just like old music it would seem). Of course I understand that there is music that sounds old now that was innovative at the time.
You were talking about one song, you've completely dismissed the newer artists I mentioned because it may not fit in with the stereotype you're trying to portray.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Is the dodgy pattern that I'm critical of homophobia and misogyny? I'm fine with that.
Right. Because metal and rock generally are bastions of gay rights and feminism. That’s a weak attempt, even for you.

Red Stone

Right. Because metal and rock generally are bastions of gay rights and feminism. That’s a weak attempt, even for you.
So to clarify, me listening to metal and rock clearly means I'm a homophobe and a chauvinist and pointing out that one rapper has a song where he uses the word 'faggot' and says he 'hates a shy bitch' means I am dismissing an entire genre as being shit?

I have to admire your dedication to being wrong.

led_scholes

BTW, I am not much into classical music, but there are songs (like Canon in D) that a) are truly magnificent b) have being used as a blueprint for many many popular songs. Isn't a bit unfair to completely disregard Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Wagner, Satie, Ravel and the rest?

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Yes, indeed.
Genius response.

Good straw man.
Poor response

You were talking about one song, you've completely dismissed the newer artists I mentioned because it may not fit in with the stereotype you're trying to portray.
I didn’t though. You first list contained the usual suspects e.g. Beatles, Kinks, Springsteen stuff (which is what I suspect that you really like) plus a few others thrown in to give it some variety but were still quite classic sounding (funk and soul sample based hip hop for example). No offence but if you were asked to pick your all time favourite song I don’t think that it would be ‘Runnin’ by the Pharcyde. I suspect that it would be a song by a 60s or 70s rock band/artist.

if I’ve got it totally wrong and your favourite artist is in fact 21 Savage, I take it all back.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
So to clarify, me listening to metal and rock clearly means I'm a homophobe and a chauvinist and pointing out that one rapper has a song where he uses the word 'faggot' and says he 'hates a shy bitch' means I am dismissing an entire genre as being shit?

I have to admire your dedication to being wrong.
Yes because that’s exactly what I said. And I’m also the person who randomly brought up homophobia and misogyny :rolleyes:

I have to admire your dedication to not having a scooby doo about any topic whatsoever. It’s commendable.

choccy77

That list order is stupid tbh

Billie Jean at 44 and the rubish before it :houllier:

Ivor Ballokov

Get your freak on
That seems fair.

Poor response
Well if you insist on posting nonsense people will call you up on it.

I didn’t though. You first list contained the usual suspects e.g. Beatles, Kinks, Springsteen stuff (which is what I suspect that you really like) plus a few others thrown in to give it some variety but were still quite classic sounding (funk and soul sample based hip hop for example). No offence but if you were asked to pick your all time favourite song I don’t think that it would be ‘Runnin’ by the Pharcyde. I suspect that it would be a song by a 60s or 70s rock band/artist.

if I’ve got it totally wrong and your favourite artist is in fact 21 Savage, I take it all back.
So you're admitting you've just made a load of shit up to suit your argument then?

Imagine being so arrogant you think you can tell me what my favourite music is.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
That seems fair.

Well if you insist on posting nonsense people will call you up on it.

So you're admitting you've just made a load of shit up to suit your argument then?

Imagine being so arrogant you think you can tell me what my favourite music is.
I didn’t, you did.

I think you might have copied the wrong one of my posts re ‘genius response’. Just for total clarification, it was ironic. I do not think it was a genius response :)

Ivor Ballokov

I didn’t, you did.

I think you might have copied the wrong one of my posts re ‘genius response’. Just for total clarification, it was ironic. I do not think it was a genius response :)
So you're not even denying you've been talking bollocks?

We've already seen your weak grasp on identifying genius.

Get your freak on.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
So you're not even denying you've been talking bollocks?

We've already seen your weak grasp on identifying genius.

Get your freak on.
I haven’t at all been talking bollocks. But I’m operating several levels above you so it’s understandable that you may be a bit confused. These things take time….

Ivor Ballokov

I haven’t at all been talking bollocks. But I’m operating several levels above you so it’s understandable that you may be a bit confused. These things take time….
If by 'several levels above' me you mean making stuff up, then indeed you are a ground breaking artist that we should all admire.

Get your freak on.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
If by 'several levels above' me you mean making stuff up, then indeed you are a ground breaking artist that we should all admire.

Get your freak on.
Nope, no making stuff up here. I mean in terms of knowing about music.

By the way, you seem to have developed a strange form of Tourette’s Syndrome. You ought to get that seen to.

Ivor Ballokov

Nope, no making stuff up here. I mean in terms of knowing about music.

By the way, you seem to have developed a strange form of Tourette’s Syndrome. You ought to get that seen to.
All this is made up.

Get your freak on.

I mean in terms of knowing about music.
You've got no idea, I could be Timbaland for all you know.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
All this is made up.

Get your freak on.

You've got no idea, I could be Timbaland for all you know.
Nah, he actually knows something about music :D

By the way, I used the words ‘I suspect’, so it’s not actually made up, just speculation on a hypothesis.

Ivor Ballokov

Nah, he actually knows something about music :D

By the way, I used the words ‘I suspect’, so it’s not actually made up, just speculation on a hypothesis.
Well you're dealing with semantics there. You're speculating about me simply to further your own agenda.

I told you straight from the start that narrowing a list down to 10 was impossible but I gave you a list of songs and artists I love, because it didn't fit into the narrative you wanted to convey you decided I was being dishonest. What you lack in critical thinking you make up in arrogance.

Holla.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Well you're dealing with semantics there. You're speculating about me simply to further your own agenda.

I told you straight from the start that narrowing a list down to 10 was impossible but I gave you a list of songs and artists I love, because it didn't fit into the narrative you wanted to convey you decided I was being dishonest. What you lack in critical thinking you make up in arrogance.

Holla.
Nice story you’re telling yourself there bud. And what you chose fit exactly into the ‘narrative’ I wanted to convey. That’s what’s so funny about this. I wasn’t surprised at all to see those uninspired, hackneyed choices…..

hungrywing

If you want something done, you gotta do it yourself:

Top 500 Adult Contemporary Songs of All Time

1. Fast Car - Tracy Chapman
2. Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now - Starship
3. It's Too Late - Carole King
4. Because You Loved Me - Celine Dion
5. You Needed Me - Anne Murray
6. The Rose - Bette Midler
7. It Might Be You - Stephen Bishop
8. Drive - Cars
9. Careless Whisper - Wham!
10. How Do I Live Without You - LeAnn Rimes/Trisha Yearwood
11. Greatest Love of All - Whitney Houston
12. You're Still the One - Shania Twain
13. How Deep is Your Love - Dru Hill
... this is just a sample list

RS, maybe go do your jobs instead of sowing discord and trying to generate clicks by pissing everyone off.

Top 500 R&B Songs of All Time

Top 500 Rap/Hip-Hop Songs of All Time

Top 500 Country Music Songs of All Time

Top 500 J-Pop Songs of All Time

That ought to keep a few staff writers busy for a couple of months.

Moriarty

The Beatles put the sitar in a song in the mid-60s,
I think the Kinks got there first, though it might have been the Yardbirds.

Edit - You're right. The Kinks imitated the sound and the Yardbirds cut the sitar out of the recording.

Last edited:

Ivor Ballokov

Nice story you’re telling yourself there bud. And what you chose fit exactly into the ‘narrative’ I wanted to convey. That’s what’s so funny about this. I wasn’t surprised at all to see those uninspired, hackneyed choices…..
There's those levels again...

What's funny is that you think that 20 years ago Timbaland produced a song that was so good it made everything before and after it passé.

Get your freak on.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
If you want something done, you gotta do it yourself:

Top 500 Adult Contemporary Songs of All Time

1. Fast Car - Tracy Chapman
2. Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now - Starship
3. It's Too Late - Carole King
4. Because You Loved Me - Celine Dion
5. You Needed Me - Anne Murray
6. The Rose - Bette Midler
7. It Might Be You - Stephen Bishop
8. Drive - Cars
9. Careless Whisper - Wham!
10. How Do I Live Without You - LeAnn Rimes/Trisha Yearwood
11. Greatest Love of All - Whitney Houston
12. You're Still the One - Shania Twain
13. How Deep is Your Love - Dru Hill
... this is just a sample list

RS, maybe go do your jobs instead of sowing discord and trying to generate clicks by pissing everyone off.

Top 500 R&B Songs of All Time

Top 500 Rap/Hip-Hop Songs of All Time

Top 500 Country Music Songs of All Time

Top 500 J-Pop Songs of All Time

That ought to keep a few staff writers busy for a couple of months.
The lack of Nickelback here is disturbing.

hungrywing

The lack of Nickelback here is disturbing.
You get out there and you celebrate your love for syrupy (ha) rock delivered by gravel-voiced lead singers. Don't let anyone hide your light.

That being said, "Photograph" is #495.

EDIT: I missed the chance to say they are an entire category unto themselves.

Last edited: