Music Rolling Stones 500 Greatest Songs of all time

I'm sure they make these lists just to stress people out.

SEPTEMBER 15, 2021 8:43AM ET

The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time
For the first time in 17 years, we’ve completely remade our list of the best songs ever. More than 250 artists, writers, and industry figures helped us choose a brand-new list full of historic favorites, world-changing anthems, and new classics

By
ROLLING STONE
In 2004, Rolling Stone published its list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. It’s one of the most widely read stories in our history, viewed hundreds of millions of times on this site. But a lot has changed since 2004; back then the iPod was relatively new, and Billie Eilish was three years old. So we’ve decided to give the list a total reboot. To create the new version of the RS 500 we convened a poll of more than 250 artists, musicians, and producers — from Angelique Kidjo to Zedd, Sam Smith to Megan Thee Stallion, M. Ward to Bill Ward — as well as figures from the music industry and leading critics and journalists. They each sent in a ranked list of their top 50 songs, and we tabulated the results.

How We Made the List and Who Voted
Nearly 4,000 songs received votes. Where the 2004 version of the list was dominated by early rock and soul, the new edition contains more hip-hop, modern country, indie rock, Latin pop, reggae, and R&B. More than half the songs here — 254 in all — weren’t present on the old list, including a third of the Top 100. The result is a more expansive, inclusive vision of pop, music that keeps rewriting its history with every beat.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
If Ed Sheerans in it, it’s a rubbish list.

To paraphrase Groucho Marx “I don’t want to read about any music club that’d have Ed Sheeran as a member”

(and from memory, RS have previously put some odd songs in to try and prove they’re edgy. “we know ‘Wonderul woman’ might not be everyone’s favourite Smiths song but we think it’s a hidden gem so it’s 221 in the all time greatest songs and we’ve omitted ‘how soon is now’ and ‘there is a light that never goes out’”)

(edit. Now I’m going to have to check it out. Better have some Police in there)

arthurka

It's comically scewed. Lorde and Robyn have not made one of the 100 best songs ever that much is for sure. Robyn even made top 25 if I remember correctly.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
It's comically scewed. Lorde and Robyn have not made one of the 100 best songs ever that much is for sure. Robyn even made top 25 if I remember correctly.
Top 100 includes Whitney Houstons COVER of ‘I will always love you‘. I‘d rather listen to Dolly Partons original (at least it feels honest) but neither are top 100… which is above ‘Let it be’, ‘I heard it through the grapevine’, ‘I say a little prayer’, ‘Creep’, ‘at last’, ‘higher ground’, ‘something’, ‘sympathy for the devil’, etc etc

There are a few surprising but welcome inclusions. Nice to see Kate Bush at 60 though I prefer ‘the man with the child in his eyes’ (written at 13!) over ‘running up that hill’.

Deery

Dreary
Arianna Grande can’t sing has she really got songs in the top 10?

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Arianna Grande can’t sing has she really got songs in the top 10?
Objectively speaking she can sing, you just don't like her songs but she actually has a fantastic voice.

arthurka

Top 100 includes Whitney Houstons COVER of ‘I will always love you‘. I‘d rather listen to Dolly Partons original (at least it feels honest) but neither are top 100… which is above ‘Let it be’, ‘I heard it through the grapevine’, ‘I say a little prayer’, ‘Creep’, ‘at last’, ‘higher ground’, ‘something’, ‘sympathy for the devil’, etc etc

There are a few surprising but welcome inclusions. Nice to see Kate Bush at 60 though I prefer ‘the man with the child in his eyes’ (written at 13!) over ‘running up that hill’.
Hahaha, I fully agree.

Woodzy

We all know the greatest song of all time is A Thousand Miles by Vanessa Carlton. I assume it’s in the list.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
We all know the greatest song of all time is A Thousand Miles by Vanessa Carlton. I assume it’s in the list.
Ok Peter Crouch.
She really doesn’t, sounds like a 40 year old man on 40 a day..
Come on man - not a fan or Ariana Grande but she can absolutely sing. She has an amazing voice. Also, that description doesn't suit her at all, are you confusing her with someone else? A friend of yours who is 40 and on 40 a day, perhaps?
The Stones didn’t even have 500 songs.
:lol:

Out of curiosity I checked this out cos those bastards were prolific, apparently they have recorded 422 songs. Not bad.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
No this better than Proclaimers, it's literally double the mileage
It's actually the same distance, due to them being will to go 500 miles and then 500 miles further.

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Gasolina a top 50 song :lol:. Those lists are always arbitrary of course but putting Gasolina above 99 percent of Dylan songs is laughable.

Coming at number 20, just one spot behind John Lennon's 'Imagine', and in all honesty a little unlucky not to have leapfrogged the bespectacled moaner:

decorativeed

Now I do like Missy Elliot's Get "Ur* Freak On, but is it one one the 10 best songs ever, and better than The Ronettes' Be My Baby? Is it feck.

Daft list, but then whatever form the list took, it would be. You just can't compare and rank songs.

Also, instrumental tracks aren't songs, in my book. I love an instrumental, but a song is something with a singer and lyrics.

*forum rules wouldn't allow me to use that word without adding special characters!

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm totally on board for Sam Cooke's 'A change is gonna come' being in the top 3 but other than that the top ten is mental. How is Strawberry Field's Forever the Beatles best song for example?

decorativeed

I'm totally on board for Sam Cooke's 'A change is gonna come' being in the top 3 but other than that the top ten is mental. How is Strawberry Field's Forever the Beatles best song for example?
I think it probably is. But I'm much more a fan of their more sonicly experimental stuff. It was like nothing else before it when that song came out.

led_scholes

Firstly, it should be named "500 English speaking songs from the last 60 years". Secondly, these lists are completely garbage.

led_scholes

I think it probably is. But I'm much more a fan of their more sonicly experimental stuff. It was like nothing else before it when that song came out.
I think thats the only thing I would probably agree with them. For me it's always between Eleanor Rigby, A day in the life and strawberry fields, yet I think I prefer strawberry fields.

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
You don’t think ‘Like a Rolling Stone’ belongs in the top 10? It’s not my favorite Dylan song but it’s definitely worthy of being in the top 10. ‘Respect’ definitely too.

GuyfromAustria

I kind of hoped that there would be more than 239 songs out there better than Backstreet Boys - I Want It That Way.

Tarrou

when I saw this I was expecting it to be bollocks, but I was wrong

it's utter bollocks