Roman Abramovich plans to sell Chelsea | SOLD for £4.25BN

SirAF

Ageist
As long as he doesn’t decide to collect on Chelsea’s debt to him I assume it means nothing. They are pretty much self sufficient now, right?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Does it mean they will instantly drop down to being London's 3rd biggest team who have the occasional cup run and nothing else?

Or is it just that thing rich people do to pretend they don't own something for tax and liability reasons...

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Means he is trying to address the threats coming from sanctions, and keep practical ownership until the problems blow away, in his hope

LARulz

Doesn't mean anything right? Isn't this just officially moving himself away from a decision making position so if anything happens Chelsea are protected?

Hoping someone tells me I'm wrong and it means Chelsea are fecked

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Basically means nothing until he asks for his £2billion loan back.

Cat1989

Supports
Arsenal
Does it mean they will instantly drop down to being London's 3rd biggest team who have the occasional cup run and nothing else?

Or is it just that thing rich people do to pretend they don't own something for tax and liability reasons...
Always thought they were London’s 3rd biggest club, or at best 2nd?

Wilt

Guess he’s taking a backseat for the immediate future while still owning the club.

Zoo

It means Boris doesn't have to do anything

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s probably transferring it for them to hold on trust to some other sort of entity that Abrahmovich still owns in some way. Basically ring fencing the club from any sanctions against him personally

marktan

It means he's trying to hide his assets from being sanctioned. Again the Russian Oligarchs will get away scot-free for looting Russia and helping a war-mongerer.

The club owes him £1.5b so effectively he will still own it. If he decides to call in the loans they won't be able to pay, he'll get ownership again. He can continue to still loan the club more money as he wishes.

What a way to still own a club whilst trying to show you no longer own it.

rpitchfo

It’s a very high profile action of what every individual who has sanctions against them are currently doing. Setting up proxy companies and fake structure to get around sanctions. He’s still in charge.

TheReligion

Abusive
Tbh this is pretty significant and I don’t see him taking ownership back. The world is going to be a very different place in coming weeks, months and years. A lot can change but Russia will be ostracised and those with wealth and influence will be excluded and feel the pinch.

This feels like he’s slipping away quietly and quickly before he’s pushed. Uncertain times for Chelsea.

Imran Mamdani

Abramovich is filthy corrupt, I’m sure more stuff will come out about him. He supposedly also sponsors the right wing settler movement in Israel, as if that fight wasn’t unfair enough without foreign billionaires getting involved.
Yeah. it's astounding to see how everyone has lost their sh1t from what Russia is doing whilst other wars are currently going on whether directly/indirectly without any cause for concern

cyberman

Standing aside until they find a new owner imo. Maybe he was told it’s this way or the government will forcibly take Chelsea away that could kill the club?

cyberman

He’s probably transferring it for them to hold on trust to some other sort of entity that Abrahmovich still owns in some way. Basically ring fencing the club from any sanctions against him personally
Can’t see how this will work? Surely that’s money laundering?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Yeah. it's astounding to see how everyone has lost their sh1t from what Russia is doing whilst other wars are currently going on whether directly/indirectly without any cause for concern
To be fair I wouldn’t be surprised if the glazers were somehow involved there in some capacity too. It’s a total guess of course but they have money all over the world and I know they certainly have investments in Israel. All these mega rich people don’t often get there through their philanthropy.

Classical Mechanic

Roman has always been very savvy in this sense. He's always distanced himself from Putin; at least in the public sphere, imbedded himself in foreign cultural icons and ceded ground when it's absolutely necessary. I don't think he's given a single interview since he's been in England.

Imran Mamdani

To be fair I wouldn’t be surprised if the glazers were somehow involved there in some capacity too. It’s a total guess of course but they have money all over the world and I know they certainly have investments in Israel. All these mega rich people don’t often get there through their philanthropy.
Even with philantrophy, there's always an ulterior motive. whether its tax avoidance, or for benefit-in-kind from the authorities.

cyberman

By having extremely smart and well paid lawyers.
Not sure that’s going to apply here though. Tories seem able to change laws to how they wish and they have full Labour support over sanctions.
I’d be worried if I were a Chelsea fan, Roman has obviously heard something is coming. It won’t be as easy as Russians having dummy owners in place to side step what’s seemingly coming.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Not sure that’s going to apply here though. Tories seem able to change laws to how they wish and they have full Labour support over sanctions.
I’d be worried if I were a Chelsea fan, Roman has obviously heard something is coming. It won’t be as easy as Russians having dummy owners in place to side step what’s seemingly coming.
There's nothing to really be worried about as a Chelsea fan. The lawmakers in this country are bankrolled by Roman and his mates.

One of the board members of our "charitable trust" is an ex-tory MP.

It's a mucky, dirty business but the people who could theoretically put us into trouble are in it, neck deep.