Romano : Ole Sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The fact that he was offered a new 3 year contract says it all about how little the Man Utd board know about football.

Tbf to them, though someone like Fletcher as caretaker seems perfectly normal while you line up someone else. Not sure why that seems to be a problem.
There is a risk with Fletcher. He has another job at the club. Its not like he doesnt have any. Also if Fletcher does well, his mates will want him to be a permanent manager. Glazers are stupid and they will fall into the same trap twice. If Fletcher does bad thats another ex United player turning into a joke. Fletcher himself is way less experienced than Ole. If a failed Cardiff manager struggled here I dont want to imagine what Fletcher will bring. Also the more rated Carrick and McKenna also done feck all. Enough of appointing a manager/coaches from within. Lets try something else.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
What a mess. The Leicester game was telling, the Liverpool game was definitive, the Spurs game was an anomaly, the City game was an underliner, the Watford game was so far past the trigger point...

Whether people like Conte or not, he was the best option available out there and we beat Spurs and had him sent there. Now we're talking Fletcher/Carrick for a few weeks before looking at Lopetegui or Laurent Blanc.

I know Ten Hag is 100% unavailable now and if that is the ultimate aim then I can get behind it...but how can a billion pound enterprise not have proper succession planning? Customer Service contact centres have succession planning in place ffs.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
We had the international break vut only yesterday they took a decision. Bunch of idiots really
Just confirms that we hoped until yesterday evening that Ole could still turn it around. Deluded and incompetent really.

doomy20

What a mess. The Leicester game was telling, the Liverpool game was definitive, the Spurs game was an anomaly, the City game was an underliner, the Watford game was so far past the trigger point...

Whether people like Conte or not, he was the best option available out there and we beat Spurs and had him sent there. Now we're talking Fletcher/Carrick for a few weeks before looking at Lopetegui or Laurent Blanc.

I know Ten Hag is 100% unavailable now and if that is the ultimate aim then I can get behind it...but how can a billion pound enterprise not have proper succession planning? Customer Service contact centres have succession planning in place ffs.
This. Thank you.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Sounds like it
Fits with Van Gaal but Moyes and Mourinho were both sacked on a Tuesday. Presumably in the morning when the stock market was closed I guess.

BigRon1985

Until the club make an official announcement I won't believe it. The man has showed time and again he has Nine Lives and is made of Teflon......

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The noise about Phelan leaving but Carrick staying sounds strange. Not that I think Phelan should stay, I think the whole coaching setup needs a hard reset, but Phelan's accomplishments in a coaching capacity at this club far outweigh Carrick's. They're all part of the current problem.
Agreed

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
No surprise, now we just have to hope the board actually can get the next appointment right. Sadly I don't have much faith in them at all.

GOAT 777

Supports
Portugal, Sporting
Unfortunately Portugal's Ole Gunnar Solskjær is staying.
But at least Manchester United's Fernando Santos gone.

Not everything is bad. Just one to go. And crossing my fingers that the solution is better, not worse. The Glazers are absolutely clueless about association football and pretty much everything else. Just like the people at the Portuguese FA.

Ixion

The noise about Phelan leaving but Carrick staying sounds strange. Not that I think Phelan should stay, I think the whole coaching setup needs a hard reset, but Phelan's accomplishments in a coaching capacity at this club far outweigh Carrick's. They're all part of the current problem.
We have a weird obsession about trying to force and ex-player into the mix so they can be prepped for the big job someday. Klopp didn't get lumped with Gerrard as his assistant manager, he went out and got the Rangers and now Villa job and I'm sure he'll get the Liverpool job eventually. Why can't we only appoint former players that have done similar.

Idxomer

Is Phelan even a coach? I think his role is pretty similar to Ole, he doesn't seem to have any input during the games.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
The board awarded Phelan a new 3 year contract 47 days ago, shocking.

I suspect him leaving is that he was appointed for Ole whilst the others were already part of the setup.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Has anything been said about McKenna?

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Agree with you that they’re all culpable but Phelan needs to go with Solskjaer, IMO. He doesn’t seem to offer much on the training ground and on match day, Solskjaer seems to confer with McKenna and Carrick far, far more. Which begs the question: what exactly is Phelan bringing to the table? Experience, for sure. Other than that, however…

This is also just a personal thing for me, but I never really warmed to Phelan in his stint here under Solskjaer. His arrogant, crass comments (in interviews and via his Twitter account) so soon after Mourinho got the bullet really rubbed me up the wrong way. Things suggesting “just go out and play” and “This is United. This is what we do” when we had that initial ‘new manager bounce’ as if he and Solskjaer had this whole football lark figured out.

Mate, you were ran out of Hull fecking City and working with part-timers in an Australian alehouse league until the football gods threw you an unbelievable opportunity out of the blue. Don’t be giving it the big ‘un on Twitter and just get on with your fecking job.

Last edited:

giggs-beckham

Clueless
First of all: Ole Gunnar Solskjær, forever a Man United legend. I wasn’t yet alive to see THAT goal, but my dad did see it, and we all know that it’s the most important goal in our illustrious history. No one will ever take that away from him.

Now, on to his management. He tried his best, but he was simply not good enough. Tactically inept, awful and late substitutions after the 75th minute most of the time, no trophies and I think he even eclipsed Mourinho in terms of stubbornness. McFred as a pair are quite possibly relegation level, and if not, bottom 10 at the very least. Harry Maguire, a player signed off one World Cup after getting relegated with Hull. Ole pushes his £80m signing through, instantly captains him and never drops him after continuous disasterclasses. All this for Harry Maguire, the definition of decent at his best. He absolutely had to go and should have done after Everton, but I will at least give him credit for his team-building. It’s far, far better than what LvG or Mourinho left us - they just weren’t utilised properly.

One thing I’m sad about it that the Glazers waited for fans to truly turn on him first before sacking him. Disgusting ownership and way to take advantage of a man who was clearly just happy to be here. I just hope he realises that we turned on his management, not him personally. In 5 years, when we’re hopefully winning big titles again, the only thing we’ll reminisce about him was how amazing a striker he was, and that Nou Camp goal.

Good luck Ole.
Teddy's goal was more important technically

arthurka

Don't give a shit if Fletcher takes it or we give it to Allardyce, the important thing is that we get Ten Hag. If that isn't doable go now and get Potter in. Would love to see him get us playing some decent football.

Speedicut75

He was good for Spain, which got him the Madrid job, which in turn got him sacked from the Spain job before Spain kicked a ball in the World Cup. Then he was a disaster at Madrid and was out of work in about 3 months when they realised he was out of his depth.
Excellent, that sounds very encouraging indeed. There's always something to be said about continuity in the workplace.

TeddyBear

'Ole's CL goal was overrated'
To be honest, Ole CL goal is somewhat overrated.
At least, please do not confer him to god or what nonsense status please.

Given any decent striker (Ole included) in that penalty box, the same probability applies to whether he will stick his leg in to provide that decisive touch and scores.

All in all, good super sub in his playing days. Anything more, is a bit asking too much.

After this debacle, his positive image and goodwill have definitely plummeted to a new low. Far outstripped his contributions within his two decades of association with the club.

Redfrog

How about Blanc as caretaker, let him bring his own staffs and leave Fletcher alone?
Blanc is not a bad manager. He has a progressive style of play with a lot of passing and won the title with Bordeaux. He is much better then Ole I think. He wasn’t bad at PSG as well. He won everything but the CL every year. He didn’t take another job since then because he thinks he deserve an high profile club since PSG and has no real credential outside of France, but that is a bit unfair I think as he is good.

Roboc7

There will be a big reset but someone has to coach the team, can’t sack everyone if there is no successor and lots of games in quick succession.

Carrick and McKenna might be useless but they’ve been working under a manager who isn’t competent at this level and has no plan. They’ve not been in charge just following Ole’s instructions. I imagine they’ll be kept on for short term in case next manager wants to retain either of them.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I feel more relief that he's gone. I'll always love him as a player but as a manager and over 400m spent it's hard for me to say he's been anything but a failure.

You could argue he steadied the ship, I would have agreed with you 3 months ago, but after the last lot of games we look in dire straits and it will take a new manager to steady the ship.

Question is will the new manager get the backing Ole got, no one before him did.
Relief for me too, although we still haven't had that official announcement yet.

When we lost to Burnley in January 2020 was when I became convinced that we could never achieve the trophies wanted under Ole. Any sort of belief that we could never came back even though we went on a really good run of results after that.

The performances haven't been there even when results were going our way and we've looked unconvincing a lot of the time. It's fun to win games you don't feel you deserve to rarely when the rest of the time you're actually good or great like under Fergie. Under Ole it happened often and I didn't get a lot of joy from quite a number of our victories.

Would have liked to have had or regained faith in Ole but for about 22 months now I've been sitting around waiting for what felt would happen eventually.

The thing is I probably would have waited until now (or Liverpool the other week) if I was on the board as well, prolonging my own misery even though I felt like he couldn't deliver what we ultimately wanted as fans. I had a mindset of thinking managers need to do something dramatically bad to get the boot, and always have. Where we are now qualifies for that at last. Otherwise would probably plod along making top 4 for years while not really challenging and not enjoying it before vehemently calling for someone's head. Think I learned a lesson there actually. Just got to stop myself going too far knee-jerk in the other way in the future!

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Are the likes of Rodgers and Lopetegui really the extent of our club's ambition? Both failed when tested a the highest level and don't have a league or CL title between them.

Gutted we missed out on Conte.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I hope we can get someone in as interim, and get Ten Hag in the summer. From all the managers we’ve been linked to, he’s the one guy I think could completely turn this club around.

Status
Not open for further replies.