6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Great vote of confidence in Martial and Rashford, you really have to feel for them.
I don't see how that follows.

Jose knew that the team was going to be up against it and would need an outlet, one that would be able to often cope with two centre backs (one of which would be Kompany). Neither Martial or Rashford have the physique for that. Maybe if Laporte and Stones were City's only central defenders Jose may have rested Lukaku. However, to execute the gameplan we had we needed a physical presence up front. Having seen Cristiano transform from scrawny kid into powerhouse its possible one day Marcus or Tony will be that. They ain't right now though.

The fact Rom played so sick only increases my appreciation for him. People will talk about De Gea saving our season. However, since spring its been Rom's performances that have given us something to play for. Go back and look at all the times he's opened up other teams, either through scoring or assisting, and imagine where we'd be if he hadn't produced for us so consistently. My MUFC POTY.

FerociousCorgis

Not sure i agree with your assessment of Lingard there. He's a great player for us and was integral to our win over City. He only has one less goal than Martial in the league this year and has a couple more than Rashford. The thing is with Lingard is that he does a lot of his work off the ball which can't always be seen when you're watching the game on TV. He's an intelligent footballer and has great movement.

Not saying that he should be an automatic starter in every game, but he offers a tremendous amount. Especially this season.
we had zero shot attempts in the first half and were very lucky sterling sucks ass. Lingard has a habit of popping up with the stat goal and assist, but we aren't really a team who should be using guys consistently who are good mainly at defensive pressure-especially at the number 10 slot we play lingard generally at. If mou wants to use him in a game here and there in that fashion more power to him. If we gave lingard more than 5 starts in the league think that is a mistake. Our number 10 should be putting teams to the sword and keeping them defending us-not us having to chase and pressure. Just my $.02 that we should be the team forcing others to chase and defend against us in the manner we need lingard. Def think he should be a squad player just saying he really shouldnt be our regular number 10

edcunited1878

He was living off scraps of scraps during the winter months and once service was restored, he's been banging them in.

The comparisons to Kane are a bit weak. Kane is a better shot/chance creator on his own than Lukaku and he gets consistent service from Eriksen, Son, Alli.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
we had zero shot attempts in the first half and were very lucky sterling sucks ass. Lingard has a habit of popping up with the stat goal and assist, but we aren't really a team who should be using guys consistently who are good mainly at defensive pressure-especially at the number 10 slot we play lingard generally at. If mou wants to use him in a game here and there in that fashion more power to him. If we gave lingard more than 5 starts in the league think that is a mistake. Our number 10 should be putting teams to the sword and keeping them defending us-not us having to chase and pressure. Just my $.02 that we should be the team forcing others to chase and defend against us in the manner we need lingard. Def think he should be a squad player just saying he really shouldnt be our regular number 10
Not sure what relevance that has to anything that i posted...

Anyway, he's a lot more than someone who contributes to our defence. When i say he does a lot of work, i'm talking about the intelligent runs he makes off the ball in the attacking area of the pitch. You can dismiss that all you like, but it's important. He's very good at carrying the ball from deep and into the final third of the pitch; linking up the midfield with the attack. We haven't got many players who can do that. And i'm not sure why having a "habit of popping up with the stat goal and assist" is necessarily a bad thing.

Saying he shouldn't get more than 5 starts in the league is a bit ridiculous. But, whatever.

Milkman007

He was living off scraps of scraps during the winter months and once service was restored, he's been banging them in.

The comparisons to Kane are a bit weak. Kane is a better shot/chance creator on his own than Lukaku and he gets consistent service from Eriksen, Son, Alli.
But when your main striker cant create chances for him self very often, its really important to get the basics right in a big game. Lukaku still messes up so many good transitions epsecially in the big games.
Im all for playing your main striker, but when he is ill and simply not in the game at all, why not try and give either martial or rashford 10-15 mins at the end of the game when the already ill Lukaku could barely run. Maybe the derby would be the wrong game to do so, but still to not let them have a go at the end of some games is really wierd.

FerociousCorgis

Not sure what relevance that has to anything that i posted...

Anyway, he's a lot more than someone who contributes to our defence. When i say he does a lot of work, i'm talking about the intelligent runs he makes off the ball in the attacking area of the pitch. You can dismiss that all you like, but it's important. He's very good at carrying the ball from deep and into the final third of the pitch; linking up the midfield with the attack. We haven't got many players who can do that. And i'm not sure why having a "habit of popping up with the stat goal and assist" is necessarily a bad thing.

Saying he shouldn't get more than 5 starts in the league is a bit ridiculous. But, whatever.
because you said he was critical in the game against city. So i pointed out how shit we played against them in the first 45 minutes while lingard was on the field and we were lucky to not be completely played off the field. even in the second half he really had no effect on the game. He literally could not carry the ball anywhere against city. Did you actually watch him with the ball? Dude literally lost it with simple dribbles. Lingard has always had the ability to make a great run or a great moment, but is nowhere near the level required to be our number 10 in what should be a creative attacking side. I always loved watching park ji-sung play for united, and lingard reminds me of the english version of him. Nothing wrong with that.

ti vu

But when your main striker cant create chances for him self very often, its really important to get the basics right in a big game. Lukaku still messes up so many good transitions epsecially in the big games.
Im all for playing your main striker, but when he is ill and simply not in the game at all, why not try and give either martial or rashford 10-15 mins at the end of the game when the already ill Lukaku could barely run. Maybe the derby would be the wrong game to do so, but still to not let them have a go at the end of some games is really wierd.
He could barely run in your opinion yet he was up and down the pitch helping with set piece. It's weird when we conceded from a set piece in game and then you decide the need to reduce our ability to compete for aerial ball more when City started to try putting more aerial ball into our box from their set pieces after we overturned the scoreline

Last edited:

Milkman007

He could barely run in your opinion yet he was up and down the pitch helping with set piece. It's weird when we conceded a set piece in game and then decide to reduce our ability to compete for aerial ball more when City starting to try putting more aerial ball into our box from their set piece.
He clearly lacked intensity in the final 3rd imo especially in 2nd half, I'm not taking a dig at him he obviously wasn't fully fit. I personally want my striker to be up front and not defending, we have 10 other players that can do that, and with the size of our team compared to city it shouldn't be necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
because you said he was critical in the game against city. So i pointed out how shit we played against them in the first 45 minutes while lingard was on the field and we were lucky to not be completely played off the field.
So what, he was solely to blame for that? We were fine for the first 20 minutes of the game and then we conceded and the team collectively shit the bed. Not sure why you singling him out; the whole team fell apart.

even in the second half he really had no effect on the game.
That's simply not true at all. Couldn't be more wrong. He basically moved up front and lead the press. He also picked the ball up from deep on the second goal and drove up the field. Even the free kick i'm pretty sure it was him who lead the press and forced their defenders to shit it and lob the ball to Danilo. Again, his off the ball movement is fantastic. You can dismiss it all you like, but it was integral to the win.

Did you actually watch him with the ball?
I'm starting to wonder whether you watched him at all, tbh.

Rajma

@ti vu first thing that springs to my mind is Huddersfield at home, can’t remember him sprinting once and crowd was visibly very frustrated with him due to his lack of movement. In the box he just stood still waiting for the ball to magically reach him through defenders bodies, and one time he actually bothered to make a run near post he scored a goal. He needs to be much smarter in the box if he wants to make it here long term, that’s a big reason why he lives off the scraps as people like to call it.

Also he scores very few rebounds meaning his anticipation is not on point most of the time, needs to read a game better.

Last edited:

ti vu

He clearly lacked intensity in the final 3rd imo especially in 2nd half, I'm not taking a dig at him he obviously wasn't fully fit. I personally want my striker to be up front and not defending, we have 10 other players that can do that, and with the size of our team compared to city it shouldn't be necessary.
You noticed both Otamendi and Kompany went up to attack set piece in our box (Kompany scored too)? Unless we could have persuaded Pep not to having their aerial threat attacking set piece in our box, then what you said make no sense. You talked as if Benzema, Ronaldo, Cavani, Higuain... of this world never have to help defend set piece even if they have a team full of great players. It's a team work and football is not math where you comined height and conclude about aerial ability. We have height but we ain't that good with dealing with aerial threat or our best defender against aerial threat Smalling wouldn't have conceded the goal from City tallest outfield player.

Last edited:

James Peril

In context maybe just a good first season... Emphasis on first. With the proviso that he kicks on next season and beyond. It’s his first full season under the spotlight at a big club. He is reasonably young and able to improve when he is more settled next season. Against Spurs he got an assist, against Chelsea a goal and an assist, an assist against Liverpool. With that in mind I’d say it’s a good first season and his potential looks like it could be unlocked long term at United.
I agree, it’s his first season of many, probably, so next time around he might surprise the doubters (me included). As for the stats against top clubs, I am never too concerned about just goals and assists - but his impression. He just doesn’t make a mark in most games, the opposition never fear him. When we play Tottenham there’s one player we don’t want to play, the same goes for Barcelona, Liverpool and Chelsea. Hopefully Lukaku can step up two levels and make defenders shake a bit more.

Next year; he needs 25 league goals - he needs to be around Kane and Salah and whomever decides to put out

ti vu

I agree, it’s his first season of many, probably, so next time around he might surprise the doubters (me included). As for the stats against top clubs, I am never too concerned about just goals and assists - but his impression. He just doesn’t make a mark in most games, the opposition never fear him. When we play Tottenham there’s one player we don’t want to play, the same goes for Barcelona, Liverpool and Chelsea. Hopefully Lukaku can step up two levels and make defenders shake a bit more.

Next year; he needs 25 league goals - he needs to be around Kane and Salah and whomever decides to put out
This is not Jones & Smalling thread.

Kidding. Still disagree Tottenham game at home for some reasons is weirdly never stuck to people's mind

Inter Yer Nan

Along with De Gea and Lingard i would have Lukaku in my top 3 United players of the season. While goals should obviously be his main priority, he contributes so much more; both his hold-up play and link-up play is way better than some give him credit for, and he works so much harder at United than he ever did at Everton. I would like to see his goal tally in the league increase, but I'm happy overall with his contribution this season. He's improving all the time which is all you can ask for really.
I agree. He's had an excellent debut season and really proved his worth in that he's not just there to score tap-ins. He works for the team and though sometimes he can be hot and cold his commitment is not.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Get rid.

Offers absolutely nothing. Sick of watching him just standing around pointing.

Nowhere near good enough to be at United. Everton was his level.

Rajma

Get rid.

Offers absolutely nothing. Sick of watching him just standing around pointing.

Nowhere near good enough to be at United. Everton was his level.
But @ti vu says he works hard, does he feck, anyone who has been to OT at least few times this season can tell that Lukaku is the most lethargic player of them all, and his game reading is terrible.

Classical Mechanic

Ball watching for their goal, lost his man and he scored. I'd like to see him dropped for a few games to see if we can play better football with Rashford or Martial up top.

Bobski

He was shit and really at some point this season Mou should, especially now with the league gone, be investing time in developing Martial/Rashford in the CF role. Not at all helped by Pogba/Mata and Sanchez playing woefully today.

3KDré

He's allowed to have a few bad days here and there after saving our arses quite a few times recently surely?

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Good to have the haters back.
Ive never rated him, so I guess I’ve always been a hater, seriously tell me anything he does that’s beneficial to the team apart from scoring a tap in every so often.

He can’t,

Control the ball
Hold up the ball despite his size
Win an attacking header
Can’t dribble with the ball
Doesn’t make threatening runs behind.

If you/other fans can’t see he is a small fish in a big pond then I’m lost.

Ban

Ive never rated him, so I guess I’ve always been a hater, seriously tell me anything he does that’s beneficial to the team apart from scoring a tap in every so often.

He can’t,

Control the ball
Hold up the ball despite his size
Win an attacking header
Can’t dribble with the ball
Doesn’t make threatening runs behind.

If you/other fans can’t see he is a small fish in a big pond then I’m lost.
Ok, you're lost.

Ban

But @ti vu says he works hard, does he feck, anyone who has been to OT at least few times this season can tell that Lukaku is the most lethargic player of them all, and his game reading is terrible.
Lukaku is lethargic of all people?

Might have mixed him with someone.

divad

His usual game, he's a decent goal scorer but a shocking footballer.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Problem is not him but lack of width in the side and also if he is off form so what.. sub him from time to time. We can't just keep attacking players.

Rajma

Lukaku is lethargic of all people?

Might have mixed him with someone.
Not really man, even today he was at fault for their goal as he couldn’t be bothered and watch the game on the repeat and simply monitor his movement in the box, it’s a disgrace for so called top forward he wins most of the duels purely as a result of his size.

Ban

Not really man, even today he was at fault for their goal as he couldn’t be bothered and watch the game on the repeat and simply monitor his movement in the box, it’s a disgrace for so called top forward he wins most of the duels purely as a result of his size.
thing is he always gives 100 percent of him, sometimes things like today's goal happen. He isn't lethargic at all.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
His first touch is bad like.

He was through on goal today but it needed a delicate first touch so it didn't run straight into Foster. Of course we didn't get that though.

Rajma

thing is he always gives 100 percent of him, sometimes things like today's goal happen. He isn't lethargic at all.
Well I simply don’t see it and so far his goals tally tends to back this up. Maybe under new manager he can learn and shine in different colours though.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
His first touch is poor but his lack of movement annoys me even more. Too often just stands still without making a run. Needs to improve this next season if he's going to kick-on & become world-class.

Hawks2008

Not much to say really, very ordinary performance. Pocketed by Hegazi and should have been subbed off.

Status
Not open for further replies.