6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

TsuWave

So he basically scored in nearly 1 in 2 games he played in? That's a terrific record.
eh, it's cool I guess, I mean Ibra scored in 13 but he was out injured. I didn't think it was particularly impressive considering the amount of games in which we needed someone to come up with something, I thought he would have scored in like 22 or something.

I also read somewhere lukaku covered less distance than Ibra but I'm mobile right now and can't find it. Not sure what to make of that one.

The most worrying thing for me is how often he loses the ball, I mean I was frustrated with Ibra at times last season to then find out Lukaku is a much worse offender is not exactly confidence inspiring. His passing accuracy was at 64% while Ibra's was 74%.

He also contested in nearly double the aerial duels Ibra did but that's most likely due to Everton's play style being different to ours, which again makes me wonder how well he will do in a team that doesn't play to his strengths or if we will change our style.

haha you're a crease
;) "big dog, big nuts"

Tom Van Persie

No relation
It was his first game back and was of course no where near his best but I didn't think he was that bad. Some people over analyse pre-season games.

el3mel

eh, it's cool I guess, I mean Ibra scored in 13 but he was out injured. I didn't think it was particularly impressive considering the amount of games in which we needed someone to come up with something, I thought he would have scored in like 22 or something.

I also read somewhere lukaku covered less distance than Ibra but I'm mobile right now and can't find it. Not sure what to make of that one.

The most worrying thing for me is how often he loses the ball, I mean I was frustrated with Ibra at times last season to then find out Lukaku is a much worse offender is not exactly confidence inspiring. His passing accuracy was at 64% while Ibra's was 74%

He also contested in nearly double the aerial duels Ibra did but that's most likely due to Everton's play style being different to ours, which again makes me wonder how well he will do in a team that doesn't play to his strengths or if we will change our style.
Strikers aren't supposed to have the finest touch or the best passes percentage in the team. Suarez has a pass accuracy of 75%.

spiriticon

Strikers aren't supposed to have the finest touch or the best passes percentage in the team. Suarez has a pass accuracy of 75%.
We've all been spoilt by Dimitar 'Best First Touch in the Modern Game' Berbaboss

el3mel

We've all been spoilt by Dimitar 'Best First Touch in the Modern Game' Berbaboss
Yep. Berba was the exception to the rule, but people decided to take him as the rule, don't know why but normally the best pass percentage is left to midfielders and play makers. The strikers aren't supposed to have the best pass accuracy in the team.

The White Pele

This is the benefit of getting the signings done early. It allows them to get these kind of performances out of the way before the real stuff starts. No hiding place if you have a bad first game in an important PL game.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

The most worrying thing for me is how often he loses the ball, I mean I was frustrated with Ibra at times last season to then find out Lukaku is a much worse offender is not exactly confidence inspiring. His passing accuracy was at 64% while Ibra's was 74%.

He also contested in nearly double the aerial duels Ibra did but that's most likely due to Everton's play style being different to ours, which again makes me wonder how well he will do in a team that doesn't play to his strengths or if we will change our style
Scoring in every other game is absolutely fine, especially when you are at Everton and the service that you get might not be at the same level it's eventually going to end up being at at United. If he can score in 20-22 games a season, and he can, he would be absolutely lethal here and it would probably win us several titles during his entire spell at United.

He's a target man first and foremost. Our overall play is not going to hugely benefit from him being here, his link up play and playmaking abilites are not at Zlatan's level nor they will ever be IMO but we have signed him for his finishing and in that area he will almost certainly quickly become our best option.

TsuWave

Wait what? Is this what we are telling ourselves now? That strikers are not supposed to have the finest touch? I like players with great technique so maybe I'm bias but one thing I know is I'm certainly not on board with a striker that loses possession 584 times, like I said, Ibra frustrated me, lukaku will send me mad if he doesn't improve that part of his game. That infamous video that was reposted in the transfer thread of him breaking up play for Everton several times is the stuff of nightmares, though to be fair, there's also videos of him doing well, but still, "strikers aren't supposed to have the finest touch" just feels like a cop out.

75% pass accuracy is decent though, for a striker, I'm not expecting lukaku to be averaging +88% as if he plays in midfield. I just want him to improve.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We all must accept that this season and couple of others , we will have classic no9 striker whos main job and only job will be to score goals. Lukaku is not ibra( or morata) who can build play, offer something in creation.
If we don't accept this, every match day there will be hundreds of posts about his touch and passing.

Litch

Wait what? Is this what we are telling ourselves now? That strikers are not supposed to have the finest touch? I like players with great technique so maybe I'm bias but one thing I know is I'm certainly not on board with a striker that loses possession 584 times, like I said, Ibra frustrated me, lukaku will send me mad if he doesn't improve that part of his game. That infamous video that was reposted in the transfer thread of him breaking up play for Everton several times is the stuff of nightmares, though to be fair, there's also videos of him doing well, but still, "strikers aren't supposed to have the finest touch" just feels like a cop out.

75% pass accuracy is decent though, for a striker, I'm not expecting lukaku to be averaging +88% as if he plays in midfield. I just want him to improve.
The forensic view of players is fine but for me the only stat I'm interested in is goals scored. No golden boot was ever won based on the % of someone's first touch.

TsuWave

The forensic view of players is fine but for me the only stat I'm interested in is goals scored. No golden boot was ever won based on the % of someone's first touch.
Reductive view of football. If your first touch is trash you're less likely to score and more likely to mess up your team's attacks. Wayne Rooney was at times the opposition's best defender against us.

It's ok coming to terms, even being happy, with the fact that we signed the Belgian Fellaini, wait, the striker Fellaini, but these dismissive arguments are weird.

white text before irate reply about me calling lukaku fellaini

el3mel

Yes we're telling ourselves that because it's the truth. Wingers and play makers are the ones supposed to have a great touch and great passing accuracy to create chances. Strikers are all about goals. Being good technically is a bonus but goals are what a striker is evaluated on in the end.

Walters_19_MuFc

Thought he did well. Actually, his approach play, which he normally gets criticised for, was pretty good. Held it up well and linked the play. However, he did have one chance, where you'd expect him to finish, but we'll just put that down to the fact it's pre season. :p

TsuWave

Yes we're telling ourselves that because it's the truth. Wingers and play makers are the ones supposed to have a great touch and great passing accuracy to create chances. Strikers are all about goals. Being good technically is a bonus but goals are what a striker is evaluated on in the end.
Yeah.........we just gonna disagree on this one. Football has evolved, more often than not strikers get involved and partake in build up these days, or at least are part of a fluid front 3 that exchanges positions, at many top clubs. I'll evaluate him on his all around play and overall contribution, not only goals.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
The size of him compared to most of the players on the pitch was amazing.

He legit looks like he could a person whole.

Nick7

Reductive view of football. If your first touch is trash you're less likely to score and more likely to mess up your team's attacks. Wayne Rooney was at times the opposition's best defender against us.

It's ok coming to terms, even being happy, with the fact that we signed the Belgian Fellaini, wait, the striker Fellaini, but these dismissive arguments are weird.

As reductive as saying a bad first touch means less goals. Take a look at videos of all his goals in the premier league and keep an eye on how many are one touch finishes.

el3mel

Yeah.........we just gonna disagree on this one. Football has evolved, more often than not strikers get involved and partake in build up these days, or at least are part of a fluid front 3 that exchanges positions, at many top clubs. I'll evaluate him on his all around play and overall contribution, not only goals.
I'm not saying I don't love great technically players up front but for a striker it's a bonus for me, a great thing to have but if you don't have it but still scoring loads of goals you're compensating for it.

Lukaku has been good today in the hold up play. He held the ball well and his first touch was good. He just lacked link with the other attacking players due to lack of time with them. He's not Zlatan level but I stand by my point that putting him with Ibra in the same line is unfair. Zlatan is one of the best strikers in his generations while Lukaku is still in the middle of his career.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I thought he looked great. Then again, I may have been swayed by the commentary, who waxed lyrical about his movement continually opening space for the midfielders to get their chances. May be some truth to that, not sure.

One thing I will say - he looks way better with someone up near him. Perhaps the entire reason we're doing 3-5-2? Not sure how he'll be when we leave him as isolated as we did Ibra last season.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses

;) "big dog, big nuts"
There's a lot more to possession than pass accuracy, but even if we do take your isolated view and only consider that one metric, it's worth noting the 2 previous seasons Lukaku averaged 74% - the same as Ibra. The change in style from Martinez to Koeman obviously had big influence on the drop to 66%.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Watch his highlights now away from the match itself. Doesn't really look that bad at all. The chance he missed was a poor finishing sure and could have played it much better, but he hold up the ball very well and wasn't selfish. His first touch looks decent and not as bad as people were claiming.
Actually a very good debut, hold up play and passes looked very good. Good dribbling and was a bit of a nuisance to defend against. Ironically the worst part of his performance was the finishing.

Litch

Amazing then how someone that you have such a negative view about his technical ability seems to score then?

ash_86

If Mata would've played with Lukaku instead of Martial, luk would've had better chances for himself. Watch how Mata brought Rash into the game on several occasions and then compare with Martial, who took more chances to himself.

TsuWave

As reductive as saying a bad first touch means less goals. Take a look at videos of all his goals in the premier league and keep an eye on how many are one touch finishes.
Yeah, except I didn't say that, I said you're less likely. I find it hard to say that if Lukaku had better technique he wouldn't be a better player/striker and probably score more.

Amazing then how someone that you have such a negative view about his technical ability seems to score then?
Jardel was top scorer in Europe for multiple years iirc, yet no major club move for him despite him playing in a league and club(s) that often sells their outstanding players to big clubs. Sometimes shit just works out for certain players in a system or when the team is working solely to/for him. I'm not sure we play exactly like Everton, evidence that Lukaku contested double the amount of aerial duels that Ibra did suggests that's not the case.

Like I said, I'm hopeful he does well, I just have concerns (and before someone does a drive-by posting, no they weren't formed over/because of the preseason match, though I didn't think that was a good showing from him).

Litch

All the breaks Martial never looked like playing him in.
Yeah, except I didn't say that, I said you're less likely. I find it hard to say that if Lukaku had better technique he wouldn't be a better player/striker and probably score more.

Jardel was top scorer in Europe for multiple years iirc, yet no major club move for him despite him playing in a league and club(s) that often sells their outstanding players to big clubs. Sometimes shit just works out for certain players in a system or when the team is working solely to/for him. I'm not sure we play exactly like Everton, evidence that Lukaku contested double the amount of aerial duels that Ibra did suggests that's not the case.

Like I said, I'm hopeful he does well, I just have concerns (and before someone does a drive-by posting, no they weren't formed over/because of the preseason match, though I didn't think that was a good showing from him).
First unless you know something I don't, personally there are a million variables to why Jardel may have stayed none of which you actual know unless you are Jardel in disguise or someone close to him. You also forget to mention sometimes the player adapts which is nothing to do with systems or the team in general.

Given football isn't a science then who wouldn't have concerns. I think it would be nice just for once to be a little more positive that we have signed a young lad that potentially could be one of the best forwards in the history of the prem. Look at the quality of the players that his goal scoring is equal to. Look at the teams that he's achieved that with. Like I said, it's no science but let's be positive for once as unusual as this can be on here at times.

TsuWave

All the breaks Martial never looked like playing him in.

First unless you know something I don't, personally there are a million variables to why Jardel may have stayed none of which you actual know unless you are Jardel in disguise or someone close to him. You also forget to mention sometimes the player adapts which is nothing to do with systems or the team in general.

Given football isn't a science then who wouldn't have concerns. I think it would be nice just for once to be a little more positive that we have signed a young lad that potentially could be one of the best forwards in the history of the prem. Look at the quality of the players that his goal scoring is equal to. Look at the teams that he's achieved that with. Like I said, it's no science but let's be positive for once as unusual as this can be on here at times.
I probably know more than you just as a general thing, and yeah, I'm related to Jardel :lol:. I kid, I kid.

Well, Jardel did end up moving and his limitations were exposed and resulted on him going back to Portugal, which kinda corroborates my assertion that certain players outside of optimal conditions, those being systems and teams that play solely/mostly to their strengths, end up faltering outside of said conditions. Tbf, yeah, players do/can adapt, I guess I just find Lukaku's skill set somewhat limited.

I mean being hopeful to me is being positive, and unless something radical happens I don't think I'll ever consider Lukaku one of the best forwards in the history of the prem despite his scoring record, much like I don't consider Jardel one of the best forwards to have played in Europe, but I guess that's personal opinion and play style preferences. If he does end up a monster goal scorer for us then great because that means we would have reaped the benefits. One could argue he has scored that many because of those teams not in spite of them. I reserve the right to voice my concerns, let's not turn redcafe into a rawk like positive cult were dissenting opinions are pounced upon please.

anyway, let's see how he does for the rest of pre-season to see how he's settling. Hopefully he'll hit the ground running in the prem.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Booo! Morata would have scored! :p

I have to agree a little with @TsuWave 's reservations here.

I just think you should expect more technical quality when you splash out up to £90m on a player. Not just a finisher who scores in 1 out of every 2 games. A bigger stronger Chicharito if you will. :p The overwhelming thought I'm left with after watching Rom's overall highlights from his time at Everton is simply "that's really not a 90m or 75m player, he's far too limited".

And it feels bad that we apparently ended up overpaying for our second choice signing.
Jose:
"Mourinho added that he did not believe another Real Madrid player, striker Alvaro Morata, will end up at Old Trafford either.

"It is a shame," he said.

"He is a player who made it to the first team with me and I have a special liking for. I enjoyed watching his evolution in Juventus and Madrid.

"But we have not reached an agreement with his club and I don't think he can end with us."

Doesn't sound to me like it was Morata who was the fallback option if we couldn't get Rom, rather the opposite.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Thought he did okay, did poor with some decisions when he had space to run into, thought he held up the ball quite well though.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
I probably know more than you just as a general thing, and yeah, I'm related to Jardel :lol:. I kid, I kid.

Well, Jardel did end up moving and his limitations were exposed and resulted on him going back to Portugal, which kinda corroborates my assertion that certain players outside of optimal conditions, those being systems and teams that play solely/mostly to their strengths, end up faltering outside of said conditions. Tbf, yeah, players do/can adapt, I guess I just find Lukaku's skill set somewhat limited.

I mean being hopeful to me is being positive, and unless something radical happens I don't think I'll ever consider Lukaku one of the best forwards in the history of the prem despite his scoring record, much like I don't consider Jardel one of the best forwards to have played in Europe, but I guess that's personal opinion and play style preferences. If he does end up a monster goal scorer for us then great because that means we would have reaped the benefits. One could argue he has scored that many because of those teams not in spite of them. I reserve the right to voice my concerns, let's not turn redcafe into a rawk like positive cult were dissenting opinions are pounced upon please.

anyway, let's see how he does for the rest of pre-season to see how he's settling. Hopefully he'll hit the ground running in the prem.
Nonsense about Jardel. He smashed wherever he went, Grémio, Porto, Galatasaray, Sporting. I'm talking 30-40 goals a season. The problem with him was drugs. Best striker I've ever seen in the box.

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
Booo! Morata would have scored! :p

I have to agree a little with @TsuWave 's reservations here.

I just think you should expect more technical quality when you splash out up to £90m on a player. Not just a finisher who scores in 1 out of every 2 games. A bigger stronger Chicharito if you will. :p The overwhelming thought I'm left with after watching Rom's overall highlights from his time at Everton is simply "that's really not a 90m or 75m player, he's far too limited".

And it feels bad that we apparently ended up overpaying for our second choice signing.
Jose:
"Mourinho added that he did not believe another Real Madrid player, striker Alvaro Morata, will end up at Old Trafford either.

"It is a shame," he said.

"He is a player who made it to the first team with me and I have a special liking for. I enjoyed watching his evolution in Juventus and Madrid.

"But we have not reached an agreement with his club and I don't think he can end with us."

Doesn't sound to me like it was Morata who was the fallback option if we couldn't get Rom, rather the opposite.
Thats damning from Mourinho. Pretty much says Lukaku was 2nd choice.

TonyMarshall

Can we get a refund for him or is it like that time I bought underpants and wore them for 2days and then when I toke them back they wouldn't give me a refund.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He was solid. Loved when Cole ran into him and bounced off :lol: But there's a lot more to come from him for sure. Was making good runs though and runs that were compatible with Marital and Mkhitaryan as none of them were getting in each others way, but rather making space for the other and opening up space. Which is what's needed, as before we'd often have 2 players making the same run but nobody making the classic strikers run like Lukaku does.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If we can get lukaku isolated 1v1 against a centre back he is going to demolish teams. I can see what mourinho is planning, 1 speedster in Martial and rashford to distract the defenders, lukaku being the battering ram up top. Mkhitaryan or mata in the hole to feed them.

TsuWave

Nonsense about Jardel. He smashed wherever he went, Grémio, Porto, Galatasaray, Sporting. I'm talking 30-40 goals a season. The problem with him was drugs. Best striker I've ever seen in the box.
Jardel didn't succeed at bolton and ended up back at beira-mar, though admittedly i didn't know of his drug issues. Also, his record for Galatasaray is much better than i remembered.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Thank goodness we have a tonne of friendlies coming up so we can forget the outrage that Lukaku hasn't scored in 1 game

Acole9

Outstanding
I thought he did ok out there. A lot of over reactions from a few posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.