Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
It's shocking how bad it is. Like so many of them were just laughable. His performances have improved loads, but I feel like reading high balls (improving from the level he is) can't be that difficult. That alone would improve his ability to play as a target man on occasion when we do the long balls
Yeah it's really odd. Particularly because he reads crossesin the box well and is obviously good at heading the ball. I reckon he has terrible long distance eyesight but just hasn't figured it out, or something ridiculously stupid like that!

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Thought he was poor today. A couple of times his touched ruined an attack and one time he didn't touch it at all, also ruining it. Wasn't in the game really.
I like him, I like his effort most of the time and he can be effective, but I also can't help but feel he doesn't offer much over many strikers.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
My biggest problem with him is that he is not making runs despite having the skill to do it.
That becomes very evident against good teams like today where he was standing still and asking to pass it to him. A specific case when Lingard had no options and lost the ball ultimately. All he needed was someone making a run.

Either Sanchez or Martial would have a better option today.

Jonno

Not the best of games from the big man but he’s had a great season and will go on to score a few more in our easy-ish PL games remaining.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Shame there's always a chance that he will miscontrol an easy ball. I will give him a pass today but we could have had a chance or two more to score if he just did the simple things well. I believe in Lukaku but I think he also needs a competition, shame Rashford and Martial never seem to take the chance playing up front lately

sully1

so much wrong with Lukakus positing, thinking and anticipation when we create chances, mentally hes so far behind anticipating poaching goals

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Think he's earnt the benefit of the doubt after recent performances. On the whole his touch has been getting better so it is a work in progress. Not the finished article just yet though.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yeah it's really odd. Particularly because he reads crossesin the box well and is obviously good at heading the ball. I reckon he has terrible long distance eyesight but just hasn't figured it out, or something ridiculously stupid like that!
Maybe when the long ball is coming to him, he should turn his body/head 90 degrees sideway, and pretend that is an incoming cross?

LoneStar

Wierd decision to sub Sanchez and keep him on, especially considering he was terrible at hold up play yesterday. Probably the only player who didn't improve significantly in the second half. Everyone has bad days, thankfully Pogba and Sanchez stepped up.

Hope he scores a goal or two next match.

Kostov

Christ, Lukaku has been excellent in the last few months, one bad game and the knifes are out again. Bad day in the office, it happens. Let's hope he is back to his normal self next game.

Thiim

Ruined all promising counter attacks in the second half, gave the ball away dangerously, and was basically the only player not to be able to raise his game for the second half. Unfortunate that it was during a big game again.

Fluctuation0161

He’s a great player but does sometimes shrink into a weaker player in the higher pressure games. Needs a sports psychologist or something!
Still a great first season at United, he’s making the step up to a big club.

Relfy

Not the best outing yesterday, but he has been brilliant recently. Probably stayed on to help out defensively from set pieces as we knew City were going to bomb forward inn search of and equlaiser. Fancy him to maintain the recent good form for the remainder of the season.

Zoo

Explains why he was a bit off his game against City.

Robertd0803

Nice, not only did we ruin Citys party Lukaku also ruined their toilets.

Fair play to both him and Ashley Young for playing through illness even if they didnt have their best games.

divad

how is there any hope for Martial or Rashford to develop as a cf if Lukaku even Plays when ill?

James Peril

He’s a great player but does sometimes shrink into a weaker player in the higher pressure games. Needs a sports psychologist or something!
Still a great first season at United, he’s making the step up to a big club.
Great season? That depends on your expectations. When we signed Lukaku for 75M, all of us were saying that "ok, he will bring us tons of goals - but will not contribute lots in our open play a la Firmino". That was OK though, as long as he scores 25+ league goals he will win us a lot of points on his own. As it turns out, he hasn't delivered in front of goal. He has 15 goals, he has half the goals of Salah - ten less than Kane with more games. Less than Vardy, less than Sterling, a lot less than Aguero (who's been injured again).... Furthermore, he scores against the weaker teams. Headers and tap-ins. That's a great skill to have of course, can't deny that - but all in all not satisfactory for me. Also, he has only scored more than one league goal in one game, against West Ham on the opening day. A great goalscorer always scores more than one goal in several games - it shows their constant hunger. Kane has 2+ in eight league games, Aguero four, Salah six and so forth. Don't have to check Lewandowski, Messi, Ronaldo and Icardi, it's a given. Why doesn't Lukaku do it? Many factors here, but I don't think he's as hungry as the others. In his last 23 league games, Lukaku has only eight goals. This is all the games after his wicked start to the season, then it was like one goal in nine games - catastrophic stats and it cost us.

I am not saying Lukaku has had a bad season, but I cannot say it has been great. To be great, the guy needs to score more goals in the league and be ruthless, and he needs to score or dominate more against the top teams. As expected by many of us, he has not delivered against the best teams. He has scored once against a very poor Chelsea-side, that's it basically. As far as ratings go, I am stuck between a six and a seven out of 10. His output is just OK in the league, but there is still time to reach 20 (which is the very minimum expected from a striker such as him, playing nearly every game) - and I think he can finish the season well against poor opposition. The "lack" of goals as well as that long stretch without any goals puts him in the average-zone for me, certainly not great.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
As long as he scored 25+ league goals, only if scoring 25 league goals was so easy.

In 26 years, only 28 times have players scored 25 or more league goals in a season and this is with players like Shearer, Henry, Ronaldo, Owen, Fowler, Cole, Drogba, Aguero, RVN, Sherringham all player their peak years in PL (except Ronaldo). Most of the players even takes penalties which boosts their goal scoring record.

Our greatest goal scorer since the turn of the century, RVN scored 25 league goals once and he scored lot of penalties.

MUFC OK

Stats look decent overall, especially considering our lack of chances created, but he should have more goals in the League for the amount games he has played and the type of player he is.

8 Goals in 24 league games since 1st October tells a story. Kane for example, has 18 league goals over the same period.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I think he’s proved he’s capable of being here. 26 goals in all competitions is a good return but like others have said he needs more in the league.

Good start but plenty of room for improvement is how I’d assess it.

Hawks2008

how is there any hope for Martial or Rashford to develop as a cf if Lukaku even Plays when ill?
There isn't. Just as it was last season with Zlatan, Lukaku has undroppable status. Not saying he isn't our best striker but he's never rotated, rested, or subbed which would put a lot of stress on his body too.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
There isn't. Just as it was last season with Zlatan, Lukaku has undroppable status. Not saying he isn't our best striker but he's never rotated, rested, or subbed which would put a lot of stress on his body too.
No different to the main striker at any other club, or Rooney/Ronaldo under Fergie. With the possible exception of a handful of League Cup games.

el3mel

1 poor game and we are back to these discussions again. Some can't wait to see him dropedd tbh. Unfortunately this isn't gonna happen. :)

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
It’s utterly ridiculous. If we was unwell then he shouldn’t have played.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
It was a summer of slim pickings for strikers. I’m very happy that we got Lukaku over Morata.

I wished we’d have gone all in for Kane though. I reckon Spurs would have accepted a £160 million bid last summer.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Along with De Gea and Lingard i would have Lukaku in my top 3 United players of the season. While goals should obviously be his main priority, he contributes so much more; both his hold-up play and link-up play is way better than some give him credit for, and he works so much harder at United than he ever did at Everton. I would like to see his goal tally in the league increase, but I'm happy overall with his contribution this season. He's improving all the time which is all you can ask for really.

Fluctuation0161

Great season? That depends on your expectations. When we signed Lukaku for 75M, all of us were saying that "ok, he will bring us tons of goals - but will not contribute lots in our open play a la Firmino". That was OK though, as long as he scores 25+ league goals he will win us a lot of points on his own. As it turns out, he hasn't delivered in front of goal. He has 15 goals, he has half the goals of Salah - ten less than Kane with more games. Less than Vardy, less than Sterling, a lot less than Aguero (who's been injured again).... Furthermore, he scores against the weaker teams. Headers and tap-ins. That's a great skill to have of course, can't deny that - but all in all not satisfactory for me. Also, he has only scored more than one league goal in one game, against West Ham on the opening day. A great goalscorer always scores more than one goal in several games - it shows their constant hunger. Kane has 2+ in eight league games, Aguero four, Salah six and so forth. Don't have to check Lewandowski, Messi, Ronaldo and Icardi, it's a given. Why doesn't Lukaku do it? Many factors here, but I don't think he's as hungry as the others. In his last 23 league games, Lukaku has only eight goals. This is all the games after his wicked start to the season, then it was like one goal in nine games - catastrophic stats and it cost us.

I am not saying Lukaku has had a bad season, but I cannot say it has been great. To be great, the guy needs to score more goals in the league and be ruthless, and he needs to score or dominate more against the top teams. As expected by many of us, he has not delivered against the best teams. He has scored once against a very poor Chelsea-side, that's it basically. As far as ratings go, I am stuck between a six and a seven out of 10. His output is just OK in the league, but there is still time to reach 20 (which is the very minimum expected from a striker such as him, playing nearly every game) - and I think he can finish the season well against poor opposition. The "lack" of goals as well as that long stretch without any goals puts him in the average-zone for me, certainly not great.
In context maybe just a good first season... Emphasis on first. With the proviso that he kicks on next season and beyond. It’s his first full season under the spotlight at a big club. He is reasonably young and able to improve when he is more settled next season. Against Spurs he got an assist, against Chelsea a goal and an assist, an assist against Liverpool. With that in mind I’d say it’s a good first season and his potential looks like it could be unlocked long term at United.

FerociousCorgis

Along with De Gea and Lingard i would have Lukaku in my top 3 United players of the season. While goals should obviously be his main priority, he contributes so much more; both his hold-up play and link-up play is way better than some give him credit for, and he works so much harder at United than he ever did at Everton. I would like to see his goal tally in the league increase, but I'm happy overall with his contribution this season. He's improving all the time which is all you can ask for really.
lingard can do a job but i think over the course of the season it has shown he just shouldnt be a regular starter here. Swear he dribbled like a JV high school player against city and was losing the ball literally every time he tried to dribble. Just think he is a spot guy for special occasions. Just lacks the creativity to really be a regular starter in any top squad. Good guy to keep around for his ethic and ability to chip in with the odd amazing goal now and then

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Given how critical he can sometimes be of individual players, I like how unashamedly Mourinho loves this guy. Lukaku and Matic are the two players Mourinho would save in a fire.

ti vu

People really?

He didn't have a good performance but his presence helped for our comeback. Look how he was the focus for City's marking thus leaving to late for them to recover picking out our goalscorers. We can't be happy with reality that we won the game and have to have all these "but" and "if"?

Milkman007

People really?

He didn't have a good performance but his presence helped for our comeback. Look how he was the focus for City's marking thus leaving to late for them to recover picking out our goalscorers. We can't be happy with reality that we won the game and have to have all these "but" and "if"?
Silent domination am i right? :drool:

Last edited by a moderator:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
lingard can do a job but i think over the course of the season it has shown he just shouldnt be a regular starter here. Swear he dribbled like a JV high school player against city and was losing the ball literally every time he tried to dribble. Just think he is a spot guy for special occasions. Just lacks the creativity to really be a regular starter in any top squad. Good guy to keep around for his ethic and ability to chip in with the odd amazing goal now and then
Not sure i agree with your assessment of Lingard there. He's a great player for us and was integral to our win over City. He only has one less goal than Martial in the league this year and has a couple more than Rashford. The thing is with Lingard is that he does a lot of his work off the ball which can't always be seen when you're watching the game on TV. He's an intelligent footballer and has great movement.

Not saying that he should be an automatic starter in every game, but he offers a tremendous amount. Especially this season.

divad

Lukaku has had a decent season, but for me he will never be a top player, the way he looks when he recieves the ball, the way he turns and dribble, no finesse about him and always seems off balance. He will probably continue putting up these numbers in the future, but in my eyes we should've put faith in Martial/Rashford at striker, they may not have had the same output this year but have more about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.