4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beagle

Like every other player he also deserves (and will get) a chance to prove himself. Despite all the limitations in his game, I believe he will do much better in this attacking team.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Are you denying that his 1st touch is sunday league level? Don't you ever seen an average striker with good scoring record? There are many average who had good number of goals at small clubs and struggled when they went a bigger clubs (Ings, Heskey, Carrol, Benteke,...). His form for the Belgium means nothing, many average players have good performances for their NT.

How many times did you watch Messi play? Or is it accasionaly in some big games and read his stats, like many who think Ronaldo is better do, and base your judgement on that. I see @NinjaFletch have already given you some stats to back what I said.
I don’t use stats to analyse football. I’ve watched Messi his whole career, and he’s always been a hard worker. Haven’t watched him as much in the last 18 months, but prior to that, he was a runner and a presser.

And no chance is Ronaldo better.

LoveFootball

If you take the emotion out of it and think about what you are saying with the utmost respect, it's nonsense. I think he struggles more in certain situations that are more reliant on making the decisions before the first touch. He not a lone striker despite his size but play the ball through for him to run onto, his goal scoring record proves he's one of the best. The idea that playing for smaller clubs but consistently at his age scoring 20 goals every season, is stupidly incredibly when compared to those who mainly had to play for PL winning teams to do the same. It's no fluke and he had a very good first season here, in fact must be one of the best goal scoring first seasons as a Utd player.

None of the players mention has consistently scored goals in this way.

His form for Belgium means something if you are from that country and want to get to WC semi finals and again proves his ability to score goals which arguably is harder at international level is no fluke too.

Jose did him no favours, played him when his form was poor to prove a point. He played too many games in general which made him appear 'undroppable'.

We'll see a very different Rom in this team but like Pogs, the vultures will always be circling no doubt....
Except the bold aren't true.

1) He played lone striker for Everton, Belgium NT and for Manchester United, even during last season that you deems "very good 1st season", he was a lone striker. When he was playing good you were there praising him, when he started to struggle people then started to question Jose's tactic, the truth is people expect more from him than he's capable of; even this season where we think he's at his worst, he still he can get around 14/15 league goals in the league; I think he's playing at his level but he's trying to do more to impress reason why his flaws are highlighted.

2) He only scored 20 goals once prior coming to United, and that was at Everton during 2016/2017 when he had his best season; going with that, if you remove the extra games he got here , he's on his normal goals coring rate of 15/17 goals a season.

3) he had a good season, not "very good". He played 35 games in the league and scored 16 goals; this is not a great return for a player who was the main man of the team and almost played every single minute of every game with the system built to get the best of him, in fact I'd say it's a mediocre return for a main striker for a team as big as United. Give someone like Martial or Even Rashford the same privilege and I think they easily better those stats.

4)Scoring goals at international level is not harder as someone like Miroslav Klose and Danny Welbeck and many normal players have proven it.

Like every other player he also deserves (and will get) a chance to prove himself. Despite all the limitations in his game, I believe he will do much better in this attacking team.
Of course he'll do better, but will it be enough for a team with our ambitions? Benteke too was scoring for Liverpool but they got rid as soon as possible and upgraded on him and they are now title contender; If we had a striker like Kane or Aguero, we'd have given City a good hustle for the title last season. A striker for a big team must be able to win them game by his own, Lukaku will never be that type of player for us and you can quote my words.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Lukaku doesn't merit being anywhere near the first eleven. He should remain rooted to the bench until we play Reading in the FA Cup.

Sanchez is the player Ole needs to work out how best to integrate into his system.

Twingatz

1) He played lone striker for Everton, Belgium NT and for Manchester United, even during last season that you deems "very good 1st season", he was a lone striker. When he was playing good you were there praising him, when he started to struggle people then started to question Jose's tactic, the truth is people expect more from him than he's capable of; even this season where we think he's at his worst, he still he can get around 14/15 league goals in the league; I think he's playing at his level but he's trying to do more to impress reason why his flaws are highlighted.

2) He only scored 20 goals once prior coming to United, and that was at Everton during 2016/2017 when he had his best season; going with that, if you remove the extra games he got here , he's on his normal goals coring rate of 15/17 goals a season.

3) he had a good season, not "very good". He played 35 games in the league and scored 16 goals; this is not a great return for a player who was the main man of the team and almost played every single minute of every game with the system built to get the best of him, in fact I'd say it's a mediocre return for a main striker for a team as big as United. Give someone like Martial or Even Rashford the same privilege and I think they easily better those stats.

4)Scoring goals at international level is not harder as someone like Miroslav Klose and Danny Welbeck and many normal players have proven it.

Of course he'll do better, but will it be enough for a team with our ambitions? Benteke too was scoring for Liverpool but they got rid as soon as possible and upgraded on him and they are now title contender; If we had a striker like Kane or Aguero, we'd have given City a good hustle for the title last season. A striker for a big team must be able to win them game by his own, Lukaku will never be that type of player for us and you can quote my words.

I think you are blowing this out of proportion. He is a far better striker than guys like Klose and Welbeck. And the other thing is that under a good system he can be the main striker in a title challenging team. He also is capable of getting 20 goals a season under a functioning system. Lukaku getting 16 under Mourihno is more of a function of his abilities rather than the system. Play him under Ole and watch him do FAR better.

Reactions: Sultan

Beagle

I agree that even at his best Lukaku is a bit shit. But my point was getting some use out of him while he is still at the club.

And no, even if we had someone like Kane/Aguero we would not have challenged City last year.

Litch

Like I've said on many a forum, whilst it's great to give people the opportunity to have an opinion, it's still within the context that just the fact we post on here, nothing qualifies our judgment aside from what we see. Mostly all on here have never received one pound for sharing their knowledge about football. Not to mention that they are offering a view about the biggest club in the world and not the dog n duck.

Whilst I enjoy sharing my view I know that it's subjective and I know that there are others that before they write a cheque for 75m pounds, fully understand what they are getting for the money. That judgement isn't made in isolation or by one person. I trust this process (even when it goes wrong) more than I trust your judgement or my own whilst like I said, it's a public forum so you are entitled to it.

I know many don't rate him and I understand why but whats funny is you throw stats around like it's a science and it's easy with comments like 'not a great return' but who scores 16/17 goals every season even for the top six teams?

Furthermore, forget the team like Utd comments cause for 5 years we have been nothing like that. There's not a person on here that has watched Utd that would argue for what ever the reasons, this was the worst football played for 2 decades. The strikers you have named are playing in teams that are playing in their best teams for 2 decades.
This is the context that you need to consider rather than in isolation.

Sorry some of the things you say normalise it like it's an everyday occurrence.

Last edited:

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I agree that even at his best Lukaku is a bit shit. But my point was getting some use out of him while he is still at the club.

And no, even if we had someone like Kane/Aguero we would not have challenged City last year.
If we had Kane then we would have had another 10 goals which would certainly have narrowed the gap to City.

Lukaku is nowhere near the required standard.

NinjaFletch

I don’t use stats to analyse football. I’ve watched Messi his whole career, and he’s always been a hard worker. Haven’t watched him as much in the last 18 months, but prior to that, he was a runner and a presser.

And no chance is Ronaldo better.
And yet you've apparently failed to notice a very obvious thing about his game.

Honestly, it's absolutely baffling to be banging on about this. It's both irrelevant to this thread and downright wrong. It's akin to telling everybody that you think Buffon was a striker or that Inzaghi was never flagged offside.

LoveFootball

@Rozay
And yet you've apparently failed to notice a very obvious thing about his game.

Honestly, it's absolutely baffling to be banging on about this. It's both irrelevant to this thread and downright wrong. It's akin to telling everybody that you think Buffon was a striker or that Inzaghi was never flagged offside.
it's even baffling when Guardiola himself admitted that Messi is the player who run the least in La Liga and himself instructed him to do so during his time there at Barcelona.

I think you are blowing this out of proportion. He is a far better striker than guys like Klose and Welbeck. And the other thing is that under a good system he can be the main striker in a title challenging team. He also is capable of getting 20 goals a season under a functioning system. Lukaku getting 16 under Mourihno is more of a function of his abilities rather than the system. Play him under Ole and watch him do FAR better.
Except this is his normal output since he left Chelsea. He scored 16 last season and it was seen by many as a great output, so to expect him to score more is pushing behind what he's capable of reason why he's now trying more things and then making many mistakes highlighting his flaws. Let take him for what he is, good player at best.

Like I've said on many a forum, whilst it's great to give people the opportunity to have an opinion, it's still within the context that just the fact we post on here, nothing qualifies our judgment aside from what we see. Mostly all on here have never received one pound for sharing their knowledge about football. Not to mention that they are offering a view about the biggest club in the world and not the dog n duck.

Whilst I enjoy sharing my view I know that it's subjective and I know that there are others that before they write a cheque for 75m pounds, fully understand what they are getting for the money. That judgement isn't made in isolation or by one person. I trust this process (even when it goes wrong) more than I trust your judgement or my own whilst like I said, it's a public forum so you are entitled to it.

I know many don't rate him and I understand why but whats funny is you throw stats around like it's a science and it's easy with comments like 'not a great return' but who scores 16/17 goals every season even for the top six teams?

Furthermore, forget the team like Utd comments cause for 5 years we have been nothing like that. There's not a person on here that has watched Utd that would argue for what ever the reasons, this was the worst football played for 2 decades. The strikers you have named are playing in teams that are playing in their best teams for 2 decades.
This is the context that you need to consider rather than in isolation.

Sorry some of the things you say normalise it like it's an everyday occurrence.
I see you're running out of arguments when in front of facts.

For 1st, you don't know the identity of people posting on here, so to argue that nobody have never received a pound for sharing their knowledge is a bit rich. And this is a forum, we're here to share opinions and have a little laugh and fun moment with people with whom we share common goals which are Manchester United FC and football, nothing else.

Yes people managing Manchester United know better than most of us but they are still human and prone to errors like in every area and we're here to share our view whether they are wrong or right; it isn't like they have never made mistakes, in fact they made plenty.

Who scored 16/17 goals every year for top teams? plenty of players : Kane, Aguero, Aubamyang, Messi, Ronaldo, Mbappe, Neymar, Suarez, Lewandowski, ....

I think some players are hiding behind that system thing; Martial and Pogba had no problem expressing their talent under the same system despite not having the favors of the manager and put under mediocre conditions to work in and were still criticized meanwhile Lukaku who was the manager's good son and was putted in a s system and conditions to thrive is now getting more excuses than the other. The truth lies between I think, yes the system didn't help but he lacks in many areas of his game to be a good striker for a big club; he'll go from club to club before people realize that he's nothing more than a striker for a midtable team; we're not the last big club to fall into the myth of Lukaku, Juve are next.

Litch

@Rozay

it's even baffling when Guardiola himself admitted that Messi is the player who run the least in La Liga and himself instructed him to do so during his time there at Barcelona.

Except this is his normal output since he left Chelsea. He scored 16 last season and it was seen by many as a great output, so to expect him to score more is pushing behind what he's capable of reason why he's now trying more things and then making many mistakes highlighting his flaws. Let take him for what he is, good player at best.

I see you're running out of arguments when in front of facts.

For 1st, you don't know the identity of people posting on here, so to argue that nobody have never received a pound for sharing their knowledge is a bit rich. And this is a forum, we're here to share opinions and have a little laugh and fun moment with people with whom we share common goals which are Manchester United FC and football, nothing else.

Yes people managing Manchester United know better than most of us but they are still human and prone to errors like in every area and we're here to share our view whether they are wrong or right; it isn't like they have never made mistakes, in fact they made plenty.

Who scored 16/17 goals every year for top teams? plenty of players : Kane, Aguero, Aubamyang, Messi, Ronaldo, Mbappe, Neymar, Suarez, Lewandowski, ....

I think some players are hiding behind that system thing; Martial and Pogba had no problem expressing their talent under the same system despite not having the favors of the manager and put under mediocre conditions to work in and were still criticized meanwhile Lukaku who was the manager's good son and was putted in a s system and conditions to thrive is now getting more excuses than the other. The truth lies between I think, yes the system didn't help but he lacks in many areas of his game to be a good striker for a big club; he'll go from club to club before people realize that he's nothing more than a striker for a midtable team; we're not the last big club to fall into the myth of Lukaku, Juve are next.
Argument....didn't know I was having one? Thought I was sharing my view rather than a fact. Not rich, just a calculated view. Clearly you must be on another forum cause not seen much laughing and fun on here for a while. In fact in my opinion it's been as toxic as the Utd dressing room.

When I go to the doctors, I might have an opinion of what's wrong with me but his opinion has bigger ramifications and that's my point. We mark our own homework and when we get it wrong, we have the luxury of having amnesia. This happens even during 90mins.

You give me a list of top strikers who have score 16/17 goals a season but for some reason, I know if asked you wouldn't have included Rom in it.....the irony and laughable. So he doesn't belong in the same company?

Your entitled to your opinion but I'm no longer interested in it....go and impose it on others that share the same agenda.

Last edited:

LoveFootball

Argument....didn't know I was having one? Thought I was sharing my view rather than a fact. Not rich, just a calculated view. Clearly you must be on another forum cause not seen much laughing and fun on here for a while. In fact in my opinion it's been as toxic as the Utd dressing room.

When I go to the doctors, I might have an opinion of what's wrong with me but his opinion has bigger ramifications and that's my point. We mark our own homework and when we get it wrong, we have the luxury of having amnesia. This happens even during 90mins.
The forum was toxic but that's what made it fun. Reading people confronting their opinion, defending their side was funny to read and I enjoyed it. Of course it's my point of view.

Mate we're football fans, not doctors. We're little Einstein of football sharing our opinions on football, thoses can be wrong or right that really doesn't matter as in this industry everyone have his opinion because football is not an exact science like maths or physics, that the reason why manager got sacked everyday because they made mistakes. No need to get upset about all of this, we're just sharing our opinions, nothing more.

You give me a list of top strikers who have score 16/17 goals a season but for some reason, I know if asked you wouldn't have included Rom in it.....the irony and laughable. So he doesn't belong in the same company?
Because you asked :

You asked me to give you strikers who score 16/17 or more like Lukaku and I gave some names.

LawCharltonBest

Enjoys watching fox porn
People are writing him off too quickly. He’s a brilliant striker capable of scoring loads in a fluid, attacking United team

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
It felt like a bit of a strange buy at the time and was hard to imagine how he was going to combine effectively with our other attackers. Was a case of "we don't have a proven goalscorer and there are barely any available". Emblematic of our scatter-gun approach to transfers in recent years really.

Very difficult to see how he's ever gonna reclaim a starting slot here and I dunno if we'll be able to offload him without paying some of his wages ala Rooney. He's a much, much better player than he's shown this season, as I think most would admit, I definitely think he can be a very useful (albeit very expensive) plan B.

Kostov

I want him to come back and prove he's capable of scoring loads of goal for this team. Let's hope come Sunday we'll see him playing again.

Litch

The forum was toxic but that's what made it fun. Reading people confronting their opinion, defending their side was funny to read and I enjoyed it. Of course it's my point of view.

Mate we're football fans, not doctors. We're little Einstein of football sharing our opinions on football, thoses can be wrong or right that really doesn't matter as in this industry everyone have his opinion because football is not an exact science like maths or physics, that the reason why manager got sacked everyday because they made mistakes. No need to get upset about all of this, we're just sharing our opinions, nothing more.

Because you asked :

You asked me to give you strikers who score 16/17 or more like Lukaku and I gave some names.
You enjoyed the toxicity...well each to their own. My analogy wasnt about doctors, it was there a difference in having a opinion than it being an informed one. You come across like yours is and you and others seem to diminish the achievements of players like it's an every day occurrence. You talk about only 16/17 goals but inadvertently this list you provide is of top strikers but then equally you seem to struggle to suggest Rom isn't one. Where's Benteke, Ings and Hesky and whoever else you said Rom was like on your list?
Scoring international goals are easy......this kids such a joker.

LoveFootball

You enjoyed the toxicity...well each to their own. My analogy wasnt about doctors, it was there a difference in having a opinion than it being an informed one. You come across like yours is and you and others seem to diminish the achievements of players like it's an every day occurrence. You talk about only 16/17 goals but inadvertently this list you provide is of top strikers but then equally you seem to struggle to suggest Rom isn't one. Where's Benteke, Ings and Hesky and whoever else you said Rom was like on your list?
Scoring international goals are easy......this kids such a joker.
I enjoy everyday I spend in this forum, no matter the state of mind of people, because the forum is there for people to share opinions about football or other topics and reply to others; we don't have to be on the same boat for the forum to exist; I enjoyed how far people went to back their ideas. Everything we post here are personal opinions apart from some proper quotes from managers/players or some stats and facts; that's the reason why the forum exist.

I didn't put Lukaku in that list because the players I quoted regularly score more than 17 goals each season for their respective clubs, Lukaku isn't that kind of player. And I compared him to the like of Benteke, Ings and Heskey because his level is closer to those players than the one I listed before; his goal scoring rate and his level of skills are closer to Benteke than to Suarez or Aubamyang for example.

logan99

With Ole all players will have a second chance!. Regardless of what we think ... the decision to sign or sell certain players should be made when we have a permanent manager. With this new game approach many players will improve and I hope that Romelu is one of them.

The problem with Lukaku apart from his touch with the ball .. (thing that can be improved); is that he can only play in one position, does not offer flexibility in the game, is the classic 'target man' within the area, head the ball and kick with force ... the modern strikers are more multifunctional.

He'll prove them wrong.
There’s hope, but it’s certainly not a sure thing. The issue with Lukuku is that you have to play everything through him to get the best out of him, and he’s a less than 1 in 2 striker which is not good enough for us. He’s not shown that he can adapt and develop his build up game, ala Andy Cole.

staniswin

Will ruin our attack more than building it. With us playing one - two touch more often now under Ole i can't see how his big and clumsy feet going to help him.

Carolina Red

Staff
But that's the way we've been using him with Mourinho.
That isn't the point you made though.
The problem with Lukaku apart from his touch with the ball .. (thing that can be improved); is that he can only play in one position, does not offer flexibility in the game, is the classic 'target man' within the area, head the ball and kick with force ... the modern strikers are more multifunctional.
You were describing Lukaku as a player, not Lukaku as used by Jose.

Loublaze

ATLien
There’s hope, but it’s certainly not a sure thing. The issue with Lukuku is that you have to play everything through him to get the best out of him, and he’s a less than 1 in 2 striker which is not good enough for us. He’s not shown that he can adapt and develop his build up game, ala Andy Cole.
What? You mean the same Andy Cole who developed one of the most eye catching strike partnerships the premiership has ever seen ? You'd have a point maybe if Cole was utilized throughout his United career the way he was before Yorke signed.

Will ruin our attack more than building it. With us playing one - two touch more often now under Ole i can't see how his big and clumsy feet going to help him.
Your argument falls flat when you take into consideration how Lukaku has excelled in Belgium's golden generation, a team that plays expansive football with a fluid attacking style much like the style Ole is going for. He's Belgium's all time top scorer.

staniswin

Your argument falls flat when you take into consideration how Fellaini has excelled in Belgium's golden generation, a team that plays expansive football with a fluid attacking style much like the style Ole is going for. He's scored more than Hazard for Belgium.
Same logic applies. Lukaku isn't gonna make it under Ole before he fix his feet.

Loublaze

ATLien
Same logic applies. Lukaku isn't gonna make it under Ole before he fix his feet.
It doesn't because Fellaini as the number 9 FFS, not the same thing. Belgium's attacking style is expansive, quick 1-2s and movement in spaces and attacking areas, its no different (and more deadly actually) than what Southgate is doing with England and what United is doing now. Why oh why is Lukaku doing well there? He was actually scoring for fun for Belgium while struggling at United recently under Mourinho. You'll eat humble pie my friend im sure of it

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Think he'll start and score a couple and go on a decent run, leading to him starting against Tottenham and doing poorly in that one with all his usual problems coming up.

We'll see how he does, I think he'll be much improved but ive said from the start that hes at best squad player material, someone to take out of the big games because of his lack of technical ability (and showing over the years he doesnt really have the mentality for them).

Man Utd 4:1 Bournemouth

el3mel

Not that I'm gonna change my stance on him a little bit and I didn't see any different thing but that was a great finish. Well done for that. Won't be mad if he proves me wrong on him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Pleased he scored, especially as it means he's in on the good Solskjaer-era vibes straight away.

acnumber9

Looks to have lost a good bit of weight already. He’d got himself into terrible shape.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Happy for him with the goal would be nice to have Belgium Lukaku

Got a bit lucky with his goal but good that he scored. Still needs to sharpen up his all round game to fit into this team.

haram

Nice for him to score. Hopefully it gives him some confidence.

NinjaFletch

Thought he was a touch fortunate with his goal both with the way he let it run across him and with the decision from the lino, but I thought that was a pretty encouraging performance from him in terms of workrate and as someone else said he did look a bit trimmer already.

Status
Not open for further replies.