4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaddyP

Usain bolt didn't hit top speed until 60m. That's not a sprinting distance that's relevant in football. Probably a number of professional footballers who could beat bolt over 20 yards, which is far more important in football.

In short, top speed matters little in football
Not a chance

Posh Red

So measuring someone’s speed isn’t an indication of how fast they can travel? Interesting concept you got going on there... :lol:
But isn’t this a measure of top speed we’re talking about, and not acceleration? We have a fair few players that I believe are faster over the first ten yards or so.

InfiniteBoredom

Usain bolt didn't hit top speed until 60m. That's not a sprinting distance that's relevant in football. Probably a number of professional footballers who could beat bolt over 20 yards, which is far more important in football.

The bit about Bolt is absolutely false. Not a single professional footballer can beat him over any distance. Him hitting his top speed from 60m+ just speaks to how rapid he was.

There are 3 ways to out run your opponent in football, beat him over a foot race(which Lukaku excels in), beat him from a dead start by acceleration (he sucks at this) and completely wrong foot someone and gain seconds on them (never seen him do this). Given that he’s expected to play with markers on him in a tightly congested area for much of the match nowadays, his opportunities for a flat race would be very limited.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791

Think you are severely underestimating the fastest human on earth :lol:

ChaddyP

The only other person to out accelerate Usain Bolt was another Jamaican Michael Green. Footballers have poor running technique

Raoul

Admin
Staff

:lol:

ChaddyP

Sure relatively speaking Bolt is a slow(er) starter( amongst the world's elite sprinters)
He's not. The data is there to prove it. He's simply the best

Edit : sorry I see where you said starter And that depends on how you qualify that. Alot has to do with reaction time and getting out the blocks. Which is only something that would affect him in a 100 meter official sprint. In a 30 meter dash however he's the fastest in the world. Also in 50, in 80 in 100 and in 200. He has it all.

edgar allan

He's not. The data is there to prove it. He's simply the best

Edit : sorry I see where you said starter And that depends on how you qualify that. Alot has to do with reaction time and getting out the blocks. Which is only something that would affect him in a 100 meter official sprint. In a 30 meter dash however he's the fastest in the world. Also in 50, in 80 in 100 and in 200. He has it all.
There is reaction time to the gun but also time to accelerate to maximum speed and in races I have seen he is often behind at 20 to 30 meters.
Now I am not saying he is a slouch but the jury is out as to whether he could show that speed on a wet winters night away at Stoke

ChaddyP

There is reaction time to the gun but also time to accelerate to maximum speed and in races I have seen he is often behind at 20 to 30 meters.
Now I am not saying he is a slouch but the jury is out as to whether he could show that speed on a wet winters night away at Stoke

He is a bit slower to come out of the blocks than some because of how long his legs are. But EVEN with this disadvantage he still is faster than the pack by time he's at the 30 meter mark. No one comes close unless he's injured or just started his season. As i said in a previous post only Maurice Green a fellow Jamaican sprinter has recorded a faster 30 meter than bolt. These are just simply facts.

http://speedendurance.com/2010/10/10/the-soccer-football-30-meter-sprint-test/

He is simply a monster and the best sprinter I think the world has ever seen. To say some ramdom epl footballers could out run him in any kind of scenario is simply absurd

Red_toad

As far as I'm concerned I didn't force you to believe it or not. You can ensure yourself he's rapid while he barely runs in games thanks to speed of 1 sprint speed, really not my problem.
No you can’t force me to believe your opinion over a proven fact.

Try being more thoughtful in your posts, if you’re posting about his acceleration don’t go on about his recorded speed not being a truth, simply state you don’t believe he’s got great acceleration.

el3mel

No you can’t force me to believe your opinion over a proven fact.

Try being more thoughtful in your posts, if you’re posting about his acceleration don’t go on about his recorded speed not being a truth, simply state you don’t believe he’s got great acceleration.
It's not a proven fact because you're using a false standard. That's your problem, not the stat.

I'll give you an example.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/10-fastest-players-world-football-9832187

Rooney in his last season here (yes his last) made 1 sprint of 31km/h, that made him automatically enter this top 10 list of fastest players in the world alongside some other players like Auba and Bale. According to this he was our second fastest player at this season, ahead of Rashford, Martial, Pogba and everyone bar Valencia !

Now the question for you to answer : does that mean Rooney was actually fast and rapid in his last season here or or that he was immobile, slow and crap ? Was he faster than Rashford in this season ?

According to this also you will have to believe Valencia at this time was faster than Auba, which we all know he wasn't.

Hopefully it's cleared up for you.

Last edited:

3KDré

Did well coming on today. He should still be backup to Rashford though, I think.

el3mel

Better as a sub so far.

Keep him as that. Our new expensive Chicharito that we threw in when we need numbers in the box.

Cloud7

Looks like there may be life in the big man after all. Still think Rashford offers more to us on top, but good to see Lukaku getting some goals off the bench.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Good cameo, I like him in that role with some starts here and there.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
He needs to improve on shielding the ball its crazy how easily he gets dispossessed by much weaker players :houllier:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
While Rashford is scoring goals and playing well then he should stay first choice, with Lukaku coming in for the odd game.

If Rashford's goals dry up or if Lukaku starts really impressing in those odd starts though then it becomes a different question.

Canagel

Very good sub to have. Much better than bringing on Fellaini that's for sure.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He needs to improve on shielding the ball its crazy how easily he gets dispossessed by much weaker players :houllier:
It is not shielding thing, just a poor first touch. But we all know that he is not target man.
He is great player to have if you use him right. And Ole is doing that.

Member 115509

Sharp intake of breath when he was on the sidelines waiting to come on, he looked enormous, his shirt and shorts must have been about 5XL...fair play to the big guy though, he did really well to get in and finish off that chance just after coming on.
I'm not his biggest fan, but he will have a part to play, but Rashford is the main man for the central striking role, offers so much more in his all round game, but Lukaku is a decent option to have.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Did his job, key goal tonight as frustration was growing. No complaints, credit to him.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
The hunger to gamble on that ball was great to see. Glad he got his goal and hopefully he starts firing on all cylinders for the rotation

Loublaze

ATLien
There’s hope, but it’s certainly not a sure thing. The issue with Lukuku is that you have to play everything through him to get the best out of him, and he’s a less than 1 in 2 striker which is not good enough for us. He’s not shown that he can adapt and develop his build up game, ala Andy Cole.
Same logic applies. Lukaku isn't gonna make it under Ole before he fix his feet.
Two games two goals for Lukaku since Ole came back, with good build up play for one of those goals and him being part of the build up for our second against Newcastle. Fluke?

Minimalist

Credit for getting the goal but very poor all round play and he messed up a lot of counter attacks.

Unless something dramatically improves, I can't see him being here next season (unless he's fine with the bench).

Loublaze

ATLien
Got a bit lucky with his goal but good that he scored. Still needs to sharpen up his all round game to fit into this team.
Based on? Thought he looked more than sharp with his involvement in the buildup for the second goal. He also interchanged well with Martial and Pogba for his first goal back against Bournemouth

Based on? Thought he looked more than sharp with his involvement in the buildup for the second goal. He also interchanged well with Martial and Pogba for his first goal back against Bournemouth
Posted that after the last game and he looked better today, but it still stands.

A few times he had loose touches and in the build-up to the second goal he did play it way out of Rashfords stride and almost killed the attack at the start.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Ole has a job on his hands keeping him motivated with a sub role.

Status
Not open for further replies.