4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

As Rashford spoke in post match yesterday , the age of pure strikers are gone. We need a versatile forward player that does not depend on wingbacks providing crosses into the box to score. Time to call it a day and move on from Lukaku. He'd still do well in a lot of teams who appreciate a good striker that keeps hitting goals when given the service. No hard feelings, just that more people fail the United test than ones passes.
Even when it comes to poor strikers he's just poor. Someone like Icardi is a pure number 9 but any ball that drops to him in the box is considered a big chance to score. Lukaku's problems is that even the thing he was good at, isn't good at any more. He barely runs, barely gets into good positions to get chances and his finishing isn't that clinical, all of this make him a waste of space.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I've never liked him. He's a hulking clutz never in control of his own body never mind a football. Doesn't want to run, No stamina, No intelligence, frustrates his teammates, deluded thick waste of money.

A snowflake of a child in a man's body. Get rid. Pogba is visibly sick of him. Rightly so.
This post just about sums up this thread.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
For the forum to work we have to turn a blind eye to the fact that we know nothing and just play a pretend game that we aren't just couch potatos, but it was page after page there saying how he needs to put his body in here and make this run there and kick the ball with this technique... you don't have the career he has had while being a 'Fulham level' and the lack of humility on the forum makes me laugh at times
I kind of understand the point you’re making. Most of the people on here haven’t played the game to any decent level and there’s admittedly a lot of uninformed opinions. But imo the point you’re making sets a precedent where there’s no point ever criticising a player or manager because they’ve achieved more. Sometimes you don’t need to have played at the highest level to identify faults with a certain player or tactic. Not taking so much about this thread as I haven’t followed it, but for example Mourinho was making obvious errors, the fact that we’re not CL winning managers doesn’t mean we can’t criticise.

ash_86

Even when it comes to poor strikers he's just poor. Someone like Icardi is a pure number 9 but any ball that drops to him in the box is considered a big chance to score. Lukaku's problems is that even the thing he was good at, isn't good at any more. He barely runs, barely gets into good positions to get chances and his finishing isn't that clinical, all of this make him a waste of space.
I think he's low on confidence right now. Every time he takes a bad touch the crowd scorns and it seems to be doing his head. He cannot be a very poor player and score 100+ goals in PL. He's definately not United quality but I still believe that there is a good player in there somewhere and he needs to goto a team where he's appreciated. I think he would do well in Serie A or maybe back to Everton.

el3mel

I think he's low on confidence right now. Every time he takes a bad touch the crowd scorns and it seems to be doing his head. He cannot be a very poor player and score 100+ goals in PL. He's definately not United quality but I still believe that there is a good player in there somewhere and he needs to goto a team where he's appreciated. I think he would do well in Serie A or maybe back to Everton.
The Lukaku of Everton is far different than the Lukaku of United in terms of body built, aggression and pace imo. He was a very good striker there with some deficiencies. We have these glimpses of Lukaku in his first 2 months here. Sadly from there on things went from bad to worse and he ended up being a large bulk of muscles that killed all his strengths at his Everton days.

ash_86

The Lukaku of Everton is far different than the Lukaku of United in terms of body built, aggression and pace imo. He was a very good striker there with some deficiencies. We have these glimpses of Lukaku in his first 2 months here. Sadly from there on things went from bad to worse and he ended up being a large bulk of muscles that killed all his strengths at his Everton days.
Agree but not too late in his career to turn it around. He just has to find the right team for himself and his motivation will be back.

finneh

I thought an argument could have been made for low confidence prior to Ole's appointment. However he came in with a fresh slate and scored twice in his first 120 mins in the team. If he wasn't radiating confidence at that point, especially with creative players around him playing with a real swagger then I'm not sure what will do it.

Truthfully I've said a few times... Watching Lukaku now is like watching Rooney during Fergie's last season. He's lost a huge chunk of his pace, power and stamina which as a player who's built his game around these qualities means there's not a lot left for a club with title aspirations. As occurred with Rooney you then start to scrutinise the other parts of his game like his first touch and passing which whilst never great, weren't a problem when his physical qualities were at their peak.

My view is that Lukaku's career will follow Rooney's. The latter was finished as an elite footballer Xmas 2012 by the time he'd played (an impressive) 500-550 senior career appearances. Lukaku is starting from a much lower ability level compared with Rooney and is likely to have 500 senior appearances for club and country by the end of this season.

Truthfully we shouldn't really be surprised. If you're playing 45 senior games in a season at 16 years old, then unless you're one of the physical freaks of the game then the six years you gain at the start of your career is probably the same six years coming off the end of your career.

My view is if we don't get rid this Summer such will be his decline that we'll be open to him leaving on a free to get his wages off the books ala Rooney.

Last edited:

dpansheth

I thought an argument could have been made for low confidence prior to Ole's appointment. However he came in with a fresh slate and scored twice in his first 120 mins in the team. If he wasn't radiating confidence at that point, especially with creative players around him playing with a real swagger then I'm not sure what will do it.

Truthfully I've said a few times... Watching Lukaku now is like watching Rooney during Fergie's last season. He's lost a huge chunk of his pace, power and stamina which as a player who's built his game around these qualities means there's not a lot left for a club with title aspirations. As occurred with Rooney you then start to scrutinise the other parts of his game like his first touch and passing which whilst never great, weren't a problem when his physical qualities were at their peak.

My view is that Lukaku's career will follow Rooney's. The latter was finished as an elite footballer Xmas 2012 by the time he'd played (an impressive) 500-550 senior career appearances. Lukaku has always been starting from a much lower ability level compared with Rooney and is likely to have 500 by the end of this season.

My view is if we don't get rid this Summer such will be his decline that we'll be open to him leaving on a free to get his wages off the books ala Rooney.

Rooney had a bit more technical ability than Lukaku in his prime or even after. Lukaku cant play as a striker in any decent team if his game suffers after 10 minutes on the pitch.

ash_86

My view is that Lukaku's career will follow Rooney's. The latter was finished as an elite footballer Xmas 2012 by the time he'd played (an impressive) 500-550 senior career appearances. Lukaku is starting from a much lower ability level compared with Rooney and is likely to have 500 senior appearances for club and country by the end of this season.

Truthfully we shouldn't really be surprised. If you're playing 45 senior games in a season at 16 years old, then unless you're one of the physical freaks of the game then the six years you gain at the start of your career is probably the same six years coming off the end of your career.

It looks like Lukaku's confidence doesn't come from the manager but his ability to succeed at OT. When he joined United , in his first interview he mentioned something along these lines " If i could do what Pogba does i can score even more". This clearly shows he does not feel that he got the ability to succeed at United. Do you see any other top striker saying these words? Everything points to the fact that opportunity presented itself to Lukaku and he took up the offer even-though he knew he wasn't confident of his abilities (just like moyes) and it turned out to be true.

Adamsk7

I find him a very interesting case because at Everton, just two years ago, he had some great qualities that would be an asset to this team, namely his powerful running of the channels (mainly right side) and his knack of getting a fair few goals (despite not being a great finisher IMO).

In under two years and at the age of just 25, those things have seemingly vanished! How do you lose your pace having suffered no major injury st an age where you should still be developing aspects of your game?

I know he has put on weight (muscle and fat) and that’s a large contributor but surely since August we could have got him back in peak condition? I am wondering whether it’s all mental - he did lose his Dad recently and I am thinking perhaps he’s been ill for a while and Rom has perhaps been suffering with some depression? Can’t think of what else could cause it other than those f’in Martians from Space Jam ?!?!

Reactions: Jippy

finneh

Rooney had a bit more technical ability than Lukaku in his prime or even after. Lukaku cant play as a striker in any decent team if his game suffers after 10 minutes on the pitch.
That's my point. If Rooney with his technical ability took such a dramatic dive in performances in his 20's, then Lukaku has a problem because he doesn't have any technical abilities to fall back on.

Lukaku without his pace and power is not a Premier League quality centre forward.

tomaldinho1

This is just a myth he's peddled because his attitude has been poor and he let himself go over the summer. His story about 'bulking up too much' was a farce, even with a basic knowledge of physiology the period between Man Utd's season ending and the WC was only a handful of weeks and was simply not long enough for him to add such a meaningful amount of muscle to his frame.

His attitude is rubbish - constantly pointing on the pitch where players should run to or where they should be, always acting like it's some miracle of bad luck when he fluffs a chance but never running himself, never showing passion for anything.

The guy has been playing men's football since he was like 16 and is at one of the biggest clubs in the world, getting paid a small fortune every week. The hunger to improve has gone and he's stagnated.

el3mel

This is just a myth he's peddled because his attitude has been poor and he let himself go over the summer. His story about 'bulking up too much' was a farce, even with a basic knowledge of physiology the period between Man Utd's season ending and the WC was only a handful of weeks and was simply not long enough for him to add such a meaningful amount of muscle to his frame.

His attitude is rubbish - constantly pointing on the pitch where players should run to or where they should be, always acting like it's some miracle of bad luck when he fluffs a chance but never running himself, never showing passion for anything.

The guy has been playing men's football since he was like 16 and is at one of the biggest clubs in the world, getting paid a small fortune every week. The hunger to improve has gone and he's stagnated.
Really anyone who will look at his pictures at Everton and his pictures here will notice how he has changed. It doesn't need a strong eye to notice this. It's obvious that he's now bigger and no this isn't due to Photoshop.

tomaldinho1

Really anyone who will look at his pictures at Everton and his pictures here will notice how he has changed. It doesn't need a strong eye to notice this. It's obvious that he's now bigger and no this isn't due to Photoshop.
Sorry if not clear - I'm talking about his story that came out end of last year. Post WC bulking up.

But yes, on your point, you can see quite clearly the difference between WBA, Chelsea, Everton and here.

el3mel

Sorry if not clear - I'm talking about his story that came out end of last year. Post WC bulking up.

But yes, on your point, you can see quite clearly the difference between WBA, Chelsea, Everton and here.
No problem.

I agree with the rest of your earlier post btw. He just has so many problems to discuss. :lol:

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Lukaku has aged 10 years in appearance in 2 years. He was a good dribbler at Everton, but turns like a turret now. He had a good shot with his left foot, now he can barely make space to get a shot off.

tomaldinho1

No problem.

I agree with the rest of your earlier post btw. He just has so many problems to discuss. :lol:
I agree - although I feel the root cause is his physical conditioning. He was never a highly technical player IMO so without the physical side, I don't know what he brings to the table.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
He has his flaws but you make him sound like he won a competition to be here, he scored 27 goals last season at United itself.

Rest of the post isn't even worth replying to, just utter drivel. Like feck you'll win a 50-50 against him.
You've not heard of hyperbole have you?

snk123

Start him uptop against Fulham.
Surely that should be the game he regains some form and confidence.
I'd rather he lose some of the confidence as he seems like one of those big mouth overconfident guys who just should be working hard instead of living in their own self obsessed delusion.

Everything from his pointing to his teammates, lack of running, celebrating a simple pass assist like he'd scored in the CL final to his off the field social media antics and interviews just shows that he is full of himself and should rather be putting the effort and concentrating on his football more so that he can improve his basics including first touch and judging the flight of the ball.

/rant

Greck

That gif is awful. Had no interest in being dragged out wide. Then has the audacity to tell Young where to pass instead. I'd rather Martial came on as a striker with Rashford as the LW. Ole would want to keep Lukaku happy by getting him minutes here and there but if Lukaku was worth all that Jose would still be in the job

tomaldinho1

I kind of understand the point you’re making. Most of the people on here haven’t played the game to any decent level and there’s admittedly a lot of uninformed opinions. But imo the point you’re making sets a precedent where there’s no point ever criticising a player or manager because they’ve achieved more. Sometimes you don’t need to have played at the highest level to identify faults with a certain player or tactic. Not taking so much about this thread as I haven’t followed it, but for example Mourinho was making obvious errors, the fact that we’re not CL winning managers doesn’t mean we can’t criticise.
eg John Terry kicking off at being criticised by Robbie Savage

The poster is also forgetting, literally hundreds of fans were asking questions about Lukaku's weight prior to him then releasing his statement about being too big. Sometimes issues are clear to everyone, sometimes they are more complex but I'd say if you're a professional footballer and overweight it's a bit of an obvious problem.

deadrevelz

What on earth made him or anyone else think he needed to bulk up. He was always big and strong for his age. He should have worked on his weaknesses: stamina, first touch, holding up the ball. It's bizarre.

The Rooney comparison is a good one. He too had a big build and occasionally seemed unfit, the difference being that no-one told him to get bigger. He would get himself back in shape through training and his performances on the pitch.

At some point it will come out just who was to blame for this situation... Lukaku, Jose, Martinez, fitness coaches...

Sauldogba

I'd sell him and spend money on another attacker. Someone that can genuinely play across the line.
Why though?
If hes happy coming off the bench hes more than good enough to stay and play a bit part role.
In this day and age your not gonna get much better 2nd place strikers that are happy to come off the bench.
People seem to forget than Fergie always had atleast three good strikers at the club.
Yorke,Cole,Sheringham,Solksjaer in the 90s.
Hernandez,Berba,Rooney in the 00s.
I think its worth remembering that as bad as he has been this season he has only got one less goal than our other number 9 Rashford.

Renegade

Why though?
If hes happy coming off the bench hes more than good enough to stay and play a bit part role.
In this day and age your not gonna get much better 2nd place strikers that are happy to come off the bench.
People seem to forget than Fergie always had atleast three good strikers at the club.
I think its worth remembering that as bad as he has been this season he has only got one less goal than our other number 9 Rashford.
Good point, however he cost us 75m the longer we continue to use him in this capacity his value decreases. Think sometimes you need to cut your losses.

Pace Abuser

He reprimands teammates for not being in the path of a ball that has just ricocheted off his clown boots.

He stands statuesque arms spread like the second coming for a simple pass to Lingard. Lingard runs past him to celebrate.

He calls teammates out in the media for being sour about Jose's criticism.

Thought he was too big for Everton.

He believes himself to be strong

The bloke is deluded. Lacks talent not confidence. He needs benching and not worrying about till he's got himself in top condition. Physically and mentally.

Beaucoup

Why though?
I would imagine he's not

dcullivanio

Since joining United in all competitions, but excluding friendlies, Lukaku stats:

Played - 81
Goals - 36

Not far off 1 in 2. Hardly a bad scoring record really, especially when playing the majority of it in Jose’s defensive setup. That said I do agree that his overall game clearly isn’t good enough.

However, I think the personal criticism of him on here is getting a bit pointless and childish even though I understand the overall frustration with him.

People are going on about him having too much confidence and self belief is just another way to attack him. Really??.. A professional footballer with an ego?? Wow, Who’d have thought it!! I mean we’ve never had a player with an Ego before! We’ve always had such shy and retiring types like Beckham, Ferdinand, Sheringham, Cantona, Cole, Ince, RVP, RVN, Evra, Yorke, Best, Ronaldo, Sharpe etc etc etc!

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Since joining United in all competitions, but excluding friendlies, Lukaku stats:

Played - 81
Goals - 36

Not far off 1 in 2. Hardly a bad scoring record really, especially when playing the majority of it in Jose’s defensive setup. That said I do agree that his overall game clearly isn’t good enough.

However, I think the personal criticism of him on here is getting a bit pointless and childish even though I understand the overall frustration with him.

People are going on about him having too much confidence and self belief is just another way to attack him. Really??.. A professional footballer with an ego?? Wow, Who’d have thought it!! I mean we’ve never had a player with an Ego before! We’ve always had such shy and retiring types like Beckham, Ferdinand, Sheringham, Cantona, Cole, Ince, RVP, RVN, Evra, Yorke, Best, Ronaldo, Sharpe etc etc etc!
I've been one of his advocates on here since he come but 36 in 81 isn't enough for a guy who does little else. Last season was good enough in terms of numbers as he was useful apart from scoring (10 assists and good build up play). Was actually praised on here for his overall play. This season, however, tainted both his numbers and general play. If he's useless outside the box he's got to score plenty from within. From a pure goal-getter I expect 3 in 5 ratio.

meamth

Be our flat track bully son. At least if you can lace Berbatov's boots I would be okay with you being here.

Score tonight, please.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Be our flat track bully son. At least if you can lace Berbatov's boots I would be okay with you being here.

Score tonight, please.
If he can't score against fecking Fulham I think you can safely say all hope is lost.

marko goalo

Played - 81
Goals - 36

Something of a disparity in quality between Lukaku and those you mention?? They had egos and self belief with good reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Here's hoping he has a good game. These types of games are usually what he thrives upon. Come on Rom!

Bwuk

Even if he doesn’t score today, I hope his work rate is better than in his last outing, which was frankly embarrassing.

haram

Did nothing wrong today, people are getting pathetic with the criticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.