4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

TsuWave

go look at Pogba’s goal and see the difference between him Pogba, and he’s supposed to be the striker

haram

Lukaku looks entirely lost. He simply doesn't understand what football the team is trying to play. To not make runs in order to make yourself available for a pass is criminal for a forward. Say, Higuain who didn't have a very good game today - still he always tried to make himself available and managed a few shots. Whereas Lukaku... Then again, he loses the ball too often, can't dribble even past one player... The only good thing he did today was contributing to defending at set pieces - this part he indeed played well
Lukaku was asked to link play and work the channels. Rashford was making the direct runs in behind.

TsuWave

People have reached a stage of clawing for anything positive to look like a better supporter. Barely noticeable other than the times he failed to put the ball where it was supposed to go.

Thankfully everyone else was very good.
Fully agree with this post

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
His acceleration of the mark is shockingly poor. Rashford is so much better at getting going.

Coupled with his poor movement and poor first touch.

I have to be wary of confirmation bias, but he was even misjudging by two or three yards where a long ball would land.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The harder he tries, the more you can see that he’s just out of his depth at this level. The brain really wants to do things, but he just doesn’t have it. He’s not a top player.

Was saying since last season how infrequently he looks like scoring a goal. You very rarely finish a match and say ‘Lukaku could have had 4 or 5 today’. That doesn’t change whether the team plays good or bad. He has so few shots on goal for a striker.

Shark

@NotShark
I really can’t stress enough how vital it is we get the likes of Lukaku out of the club. The wrong mentality, not nearly enough talent and basically a hindrance to what we’re now trying to achieve on the pitch. It sounds harsh but if we want to reach the very top once more we can’t be putting up with absolute garbage displays like tonight from a supposed attacking player.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
His acceleration of the mark is shockingly poor. Rashford is so much better at getting going.

Coupled with his poor movement and poor first touch.

I have to be wary of confirmation bias, but he was even misjudging by two or three yards where a long ball would land.
I noticed that, too. There was a long ball to him which he wanted to get under with a defender behind him, but at the last moment he realized he was way off the trajectory with his back to goal and gave up as the ball harmlessly bounced a good five feet behind where he thought it would. It was shocking.

RuudTom83

He's really great at pointing!

What every good team needs when they are using the pressing tactic is a really good pointer!

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I noticed that, too. There was a long ball to him which he wanted to get under with a defender behind him, but at the last moment he realized he was way off the trajectory with his back to goal and gave up as the ball harmlessly bounced a good five feet behind where he thought it would. It was shocking.
Yea. I laughed. Miles away from it.

Would love to see a GIF of it.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don't think there's anyone who thinks he hasn't been terrible mostly this season. The problem is he doesn't get any credit for the good games he's had that's why the criticism is sharpening all the time. He needs to get some games and be a sub if everyone's fit. He has his uses. See how he improves and evaluate at the end of the season.
What are his uses?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Genuinely feel sorry for Rom, he is a work horse, he tries hard but at this moment in time his confidence is extremely low and nothing it working for him.

He knows the pitch forks are out and the team is playing a lot better without him.

It’s the same with Sanchez, there’s a top player in there but we just won’t see it at United.
Hehe.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Which min was that?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Much as he had certain deficiencies in his game when he first arrived, it's been incredibly frustrating to see him having such a poor season goals-wise. Even when he looked poor last season he was generally maintaining something around a one-in-two ratio - and that's been the case for a lot of his career. And when he's not scoring it's difficult to cite much else he's particularly useful for.

Djemba-Djemba

He's probably going to end the season with 10-15 goals.

That's nowhere near enough when you consider how poor his all round game is.

Litch

Didn't see much wrong today and he worked hard. It's just a Fellaini'ism where people are just being negative for negative sake.....

Djemba-Djemba

Didn't see much wrong today and he worked hard. It's just a Fellaini'ism where people are just being negative for negative sake.....
Not really enough for a £75m stiker though is it?

It's another game against a rival club where he's not even looked like scoring.

Bola

I liked his effort tonight, held up the ball ok and laid off a few passes.

Decent overall l, but not enough to nail down a place when his competitors return from injury

Litch

Not really enough for a £75m stiker though is it?

It's another game against a rival club where he's not even looked like scoring.
Did he contribute to us coming second last year? Wasn't a game were there was lots of chances in general. Hes just this years scapegoat compounded by being a Jose favourite. We all saw Rom in beast mode so why with a bit of support wouldn't we want that player here? Fans are so fickle and only a few months ago most on here would have had Lindelof, Lingard, Rashford and Pogs in a black cab and away from the club....

Sylar

I don't understand his run for the pogba goal
He basically was ahead of pogba
Then ran behind defenders to the edge of the box

I can't see why he didn't go front post in case rashford under hit the cross, which happens a lot in football
Minor criticism

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
Did he contribute to us coming second last year? Wasn't a game were there was lots of chances in general. Hes just this years scapegoat compounded by being a Jose favourite. We all saw Rom in beast mode so why with a bit of support wouldn't we want that player here? Fans are so fickle and only a few months ago most on here would have had Lindelof, Lingard, Rashford and Pogs in a black cab and away from the club....
Do you think he's played well this season? Not just numbers, but in terms of performances?

dpansheth

Lukaku looks entirely lost. He simply doesn't understand what football the team is trying to play. To not make runs in order to make yourself available for a pass is criminal for a forward. Say, Higuain who didn't have a very good game today - still he always tried to make himself available and managed a few shots. Whereas Lukaku... Then again, he loses the ball too often, can't dribble even past one player... The only good thing he did today was contributing to defending at set pieces - this part he indeed played well

A 75 million striker cant dribble, if he was marked by one defender he would lose the ball. Actually thats true even when he was scoring good amount of goals. Looks like to me that the team has moved on in terms of thinking and style. He’s just not there. Ole being a striker himself, will sell him first up if he gets the job.

Litch

Do you think he's played well this season? Not just numbers, but in terms of performances?
First prior to Ole, every single forward thinking player suffered. I read the negative posts then particularly the players who are playing well now in Pogs, Lingard and Rashford, and we all have chosen to make that distinction so why can't that be offered to players like Rom and Sanchez? If we are saying our season started 12 games ago, then clearly neither of those players have had the same opportunities and rightly so because Martial and Rashford have done well. Today for both those players offered something to the win and I was more impressed with their attitude so why can't that be celebrated. Surely a firing Rom and Sanchez is what we want......

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
First prior to Ole, every single forward thinking player suffered. I read the negative posts then particularly the players who are playing well now in Pogs, Lingard and Rashford, and we all have chosen to make that distinction so why can't that be offered to players like Rom and Sanchez? If we are saying our season started 12 games ago, then clearly neither of those players have had the same opportunities and rightly so because Martial and Rashford have done well. Today for both those players offered something to the win and I was more impressed with their attitude so why can't that be celebrated. Surely a firing Rom and Sanchez is what we want......
I am not advocating shipping off Lukaku on the basis of this season. I think he can be better than what he is showing right now, as can be Sanchez, given their performances in the past. However, I fail to see how that should insulate them from criticism of their current game. The fact of the matter is that Lukaku is not playing well at all, and is visibly struggling to do basic things that are expected of center forwards at this level.

I do think he's better than what we're seeing right now. He's aware of his first touch problems, maybe a bit too much. A striker like him needs confidence more than anything, you can see him thinking for that extra split-second these days rather than acting on instinct. His numbers back him up, there is more Ole can get out of him.

However, the distance between him and top strikers in terms of quality cannot be disguised. Aguero can dink through trailing legs with great agility and put it past a keeper's near post from distance. Kane creates so much space for himself with his touches and lay offs, and you'd always back him in a 1v1 unlike Rom. Just watching Barca for Messi's 400th goal, and Suarez curls it into the far post, off his toe end while off balance. Everytime I see a good striker pull off a finish like that, I think of how Lukaku could never have done the same. He's miles off being a top striker because of a lack of technique and agility. For all his size, he can't even head the ball, Troy Deeney does a better job. He's just a classic poacher who relies on pace and strength and offers nothing else.

I don't think he has a future as a starter at United.
He had quite a few deficiencies in his game when he joined which he compensated for with his goalscoring ability. But once the goals dry up, there's really not much he can offer to the team. The infuriating part this season has been his attitude, and his lack of effort in games. The hope was that he'd improve his game while producing the numbers, but he's digressed on all fronts. In the big picture, he's miles off the quality expected of a Man United striker, or the quality that other top teams boast of in their center forwards. Unless there's some dramatic turnaround in his game, he will not and should not be starting for us.

Some of his moments from this season:

Not every fan who points this out is fickle, don't you agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.