4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OverratedOpinion

Perspective is needed here, a lot of it. You clearly rate him highly, I rate him considerably lower. You say great tournament, I have to say he at times was a liability for his much more talented and football-smarter team-mates - both in terms of lacking anticiption and woeful touch. He was great against pub teams like Tunisia and Panama, decent against Brazil, very poor against France and England (embarrassingly bad). Not sure how you end up at «great», little emphasis can be put on the first two games after all. Even Giroud would nick a few against these teams, so could we.

Regardless, I know my opinions of Lukaku are not in high esteem on here, I hope he proves me wrong next season and scores lots of goals. 16 goals last season is far from being good enough for United and the competition we are facing - it’s a new world. He needs 25 league goals, nothing less, now please start scoring for fun and make us proud.
He was fantastic against Brazil in my opinion. I also think he would have had a couple more goals if Hazard hadn't developed a weird obsession with trying to score from stupid angles.

29 goals last year in his first season with hardly any service and not being our penalty taker plus a good number of assists to go with them. Excellent start. 25 league goals is manageable with some half decent service, he did it at Everton.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Perspective is needed here, a lot of it. You clearly rate him highly, I rate him considerably lower. You say great tournament, I have to say he at times was a liability for his much more talented and football-smarter team-mates - both in terms of lacking anticiption and woeful touch. He was great against pub teams like Tunisia and Panama, decent against Brazil, very poor against France and England (embarrassingly bad). Not sure how you end up at «great», little emphasis can be put on the first two games after all. Even Giroud would nick a few against these teams, so could we.

Regardless, I know my opinions of Lukaku are not in high esteem on here, I hope he proves me wrong next season and scores lots of goals. 16 goals last season is far from being good enough for United and the competition we are facing - it’s a new world. He needs 25 league goals, nothing less, now please start scoring for fun and make us proud.
Let's just agree we don't see eye to eye, to put it mildly.

Classical Mechanic

He was fantastic against Brazil in my opinion. I also think he would have had a couple more goals if Hazard hadn't developed a weird obsession with trying to score from stupid angles.

29 goals last year in his first season with hardly any service and not being our penalty take plus a good number of assists to go with them. Excellent start. 25 league goals is manageable with some half decent service, he did it at Everton.
Against France he had 21 touches in the whole game. He struggles badly when teams sit in and we face that a lot in the league. That’s why I don’t really expect him to win the golden boot or get close to it. I hope he does because we’ll probably win the league if he does.

OverratedOpinion

Against France he had 21 touches in the whole game. He struggles badly when teams sit in and we face that a lot in the league. That’s why I don’t really expect him to win the golden boot or get close to it. I hope he does because we’ll probably win the league if he does.
Ironic that the previous criticism was that he is a flat track bully. Teams sat deep against us an awful lot last year and he got 29 goals. If he was our penalty taker (like most top strikers) he could have been closer to 40. I am not blindly optimistic about our squad but this position is one of the least of our worries.

Classical Mechanic

Ironic that the previous criticism was that he is a flat track bully. Teams sat deep against us an awful lot last year and he got 29 goals. If he was our penalty taker (like most top strikers) he could have been closer to 40. I am not blindly optimistic about our squad but this position is one of the least of our worries.
He got something like 16 in the league, a 1 in 2 ratio. He wasn’t even close to Salah or Kane in the PL.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
16 league goals

rollingstoned1

Jury is still out on whether he is going to be mario Gomez level or drogba level imo. He needs to finish with his weaker foot more, improve his touch and anticipate when to jump for headers better. He loses many duels he just wouldn't if he did anticipate better.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
5 in the Champions League, 5 in the FA Cup (played a huge part in us getting to the final.)
Yes he did well in the cups, not so great in the league. Hopefully he can improve next season (and the whole team for that matter)

Even in the world cup, he still misses the chances in the key moments in the bigger games.

Tomuś

Have Mourinho's target men always been ultra high-scoring up to date? Must have read somewhere they haven't. Coupled with our largely disjointed performances and hardly gung-ho approach it may add up to something. It's a bit weird that we lambast the team for being devoid of creativity, only to say our main striker isn't scoring at the top top rate.

If he doesn't repeat his goal-drought, for which would be more basis to criticize him, he should get 20-25 league goals. If he adds similar number of assists (10 in all comps, wasn't it?) then that's fine by me.

Rajma

People keep saying his teammates (KDB, Hazard) didn’t pass to him in many instances as a counter argument but whoever played football knows that when you don’t trust your teammate to handle the pass/situation even if he’s in a better position you go another route/take the shot yourself essentially playing percentages. I never seen it with them on a club level (avoiding passing to certain player) as Hazard even has been labeled too selfless at times and KDB loves his pass, it doesn’t make any sense. However, what is more realistic is that they really wanted to win and simply couldn’t trust Lukaku in a lot situations as they know his abilities/shortcomings better than we do and opted for options what they felt would give them the best chance of scoring. These are professionals footballers we’re talking about not some butthurt teenagers and there’s literally little evidence to suggest these guys would put their own glory above the team.

OverratedOpinion

Have Mourinho's target men always been ultra high-scoring up to date? Must have read somewhere they weren't. Coupled with our largely disjointed performances and hardly gung-ho approach it may add up to something. It's a bit weird that we lambast the team for being devoid of creativity, only to say our main striker isn't scoring at the top top rate.

If he doesn't repeat his goal-drought, for which would be more basis to criticize him, he should get 20-25 league goals. If he adds similar number of assists (10 in all comps, wasn't it?) then that's fine by me.
Drogba had a number of seasons where he scored between 10 and 20. I believe 06/07 was the only outlier in his time under Mourinho where he scored 30+.

That said, Milito, Benzema, Higuain and Ibra all had good scoring seasons under Jose.

OverratedOpinion

People keep saying his teammates (KDB, Hazard) didn’t pass to him in many instances as a counter argument but whoever played football knows that when you don’t trust your teammate to handle the pass/situation even if he’s in a better position you go another route/take the shot yourself essentially playing percentages. I never seen it with them on a club level (avoiding passing to certain player) as Hazard even has been labeled too selfless at times and KDB loves his pass, it doesn’t make any sense. However, what is more realistic is that they really wanted to win and simply couldn’t trust Lukaku in a lot situations as they know his abilities/shortcomings better than we do and opted for options what they felt would give them the best chance of scoring. These are professionals footballers we’re talking about not some butthurt teenagers and there’s literally little evidence to suggest these guys would put their own glory above the team.
So you think it is more likely that they didn't trust their countries all time leading scorer (who is still 25) in scoring positions than that they wanted to go for glory in the World Cup?

Rajma

So you think it is more likely that they didn't trust their countries all time leading scorer (who is still 25) in scoring positions than that they wanted to go for glory in the World Cup?
In a lot of situations KDB would pass it to Hazard or vice versa (or waiting for each other to open up) when Lukaku might have been in a better position and I only seen once Hazard going for it himself. Hence, you can’t say they were looking for personal glory as they seemed to be fine with putting another teammate through.

IrishRedDevil

In a lot of situations KDB would pass it to Hazard or vice versa (or waiting for each other to open up) when Lukaku might have been in a better position and I only seen once Hazard going for it himself. Hence, you can’t say they were looking for personal glory as they seemed to be fine with putting another teammate through.
KDB passed to Lukaku loads of times. Hazard was greedy and took the glory option several times, and failed.

Tomuś

Drogba had a number of seasons where he scored between 10 and 20. I believe 06/07 was the only outlier in his time under Mourinho where he scored 30+.

That said, Milito, Benzema, Higuain and Ibra all had good scoring seasons under Jose.
The numbers look similar but have to say the proportion of their goals leaned more towards the league. Benzema had this crazy season when he scored and assisted 21 each ( all comps, cause they matter you know).

Rajma

Anyway hope he does well and I don’t mind looking like a knob (if I don’t now) given he performs well. Big season ahead though.

ErranMorad

Him along with Sanchez and Pogba need to step up big time for us to have a good season. I want no less than 30+ league goals and assists from Rom this season. He is at the age where he needs to start putting up big numbers season after season.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Some of you lot are right moaners who aren't happy unless you moan, yes his numbers in pl could be better but his contribution of the whole season was huge and his effort was an example many should follow.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Some of you lot are right moaners who aren't happy unless you moan, yes his numbers in pl could be better but his contribution of the whole season was huge and his effort was an example many should follow.
Well then that’s why it’s being pointed out.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Well then that’s why it’s being pointed out.
And that's largely down to the lack of support he gets. Lukaku was the only competent attacker we had last season and gets far too much stick for his lack of pl goals, our attackers as a whole largely disappointing bar him i'd say.

luke511

That right wing is calling for him this season, need to get him in positions where he's one on one with a defender rather than being outnumbered by the opposition centre backs.

haram

Should have buried it but we need him fit and firing.

Walters_19_MuFc

Good cameo. Held it up well, out-muscled a few players. Could see the difference between he and Rashford, and the fact that Lukaku suits Mourinho's style much more. Should really have scored, though. I'll forgive him seeing as it's his first game back.

Ashley R1+O

It was a hell of a good save tbf.
Bit of a spawny bum save? But still. Kasper is not a crap keeper. For me, I want Romelu to get 3 or 4 of these chances per game and if he's missing all of them, then we have a problem.

On a side note he did NOT look happy at all when Mata bombed that cross late on. What absolutely dreadful delivery, takes way to long to look up which means Lukaku's first move was negated, then when he finally hits it it goes about 10 yards over his head and out for a goal kick. Just awful service, the poor bloke. :lol:

Last edited:

sherrinford

He should be scoring but it was a great save. He made a difference to our play in the little time he had, I feel. Stretched the game more, held the ball up more, he had a presence and impact on the game that Rashford did not. Good cameo, hope he gets off the mark soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.