4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Listar

I have to admit I was a massive critic of him BUT I always said Rom would only score if the ball was in front of him.

BUT can I give the guy the biggest applause available because that man has surely changed himself, if not fully but definitely. I am so happy for him because clearly he has raised his game & stepped up & if not for his brilliant goals then who knows what would be of us.

He’s clearly full of confidence now & someone we can depend on in front of goals.
Well done big man you deserve the praise.
To be fair not many players can score when the ball is behind them. I only can think of Mane doing it this season.

meamth

That's more like it.

When he is in this form, all his touches are working so effectively that I don't care anymore if he can't do the fancy stuffs.

Basics in text book perfection equals to beast Lukaku.

More to come hopefully.

Tony Babangida

Interesting hearing his post match comments that he prefers to play up top with a partner. Also that Ole had asked him to be more dynamic.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
He was never going to be the target man Jose wanted. Now he can play his own game long may it continue.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
feck his past goal scoring record. Jose has the record of a top manager too. But you have to realize when people are out of their depth and stop persevering with them based on what theh did in the past.

He's a shocking footballer. With the state of his overall game, Lukaku would need to score close to 40 goals a season to justify his selection in a top team that wants to win trophies. But since United are not a top team at the moment he can be a squad option (which he is currently). In the future if the club are to mount a title challenge, Lukaku can't be a starter or even a regular sub. There is no way he can be relied upon to do any of the basic jobs of a center forward properly. He can't score against good defenses and he can't even get a shot off when marked by a decent center back. He has consistently shown that he hates being in touch with the football. And the most damning one is that he can't even help his teammates by pressing. Moving and thinking quickly are completely alien to him. But despite all the negatives he can still be a good 3rd choice forward for a Premier league challenging team if he can cut back on his laziness.
Feel bad for him. Looks so far out of his depth when asked to do anything other than win headers at the back post. Just can't protect the ball because he's not up to it technically. Add to that his unwarranted arrogance, the constant pointing, and the fact he looks fat, get rid asap. This isn't a top player who has had a downturn in form like Alexis, he's never been a top player. It's nothing to do with confidence, it's everything to do with competence, or lack of it.
There is nothing more to say about Lukaku's performance as it has been discussed to death here. In a game where we won comfortably, he still stuck out like a sore thump. He showed no improvement at all when it comes to touch, hold up, movement and striker instinct.

Hope the valiant defenders of him such as Litch and Haram will finally admit they are wrong once Lukaku fcuked off in the summer. Gods know who will be stupid enough take him from us.
It's been said ad nauseam but he's never a Man Utd forward. A couple of nice passes in a match does not take away from the fact most of our attacking and counterattacking opportunities fail due to his shit quality.
Tried. He’s just not a good footballer, bless him. He can cross a good ball when given space. That said, he struggles to do anything that requires more than two touches of the ball. Ideally, he’ll be shooting with his first touch, or at least the second. That’s when he’s most effective. Any more touches than that required, you can almost guarantee a turnover of possession.
I'd sell him in the summer, and would replace him with none other than Jamie Vardy.

It makes sense. £40m is not unrealistic for Lukaku no matter how bad he's been this season, if a PL team want a goal-poacher he's your man. Preferably we'd sell him abroad. We could then bid around £30-35m for Vardy to provide the same service - backup/rotation striker but one who is a) actually a tidy footballer and b) old enough to not block the emergence of Greenwood. Mason could be phased in over the next two seasons.
Just the tip of the ice berg.

OohAahMartial

Fascinating comments of how Ole had set him his own personal work plan of 3-4 weeks to get fit and sharp, seems to have lost weight, the extra finishing training is paying off and he has been complimented on it. Ole was tough at the beginning but with a purpose, he could see he was not fit after the WC and made a big decision that is coming off in the crunch time of the season. Also seen comments from Ole that he wants him running on to the ball more, in the danger area, to be more dynamic and that he does better with a partner. See a lot of evidence of how Ole pays attention to what each player needs to be at their best. Great management.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I’ve criticised him a fair amount but FairPlay, Rom you get a pass from here for a long while

Manowar

Just the tip of the ice berg.
He was rightly criticized for those abysmal performances where he looked like an amateur footballer.
And was rightly praised for the last 3, what's issue with that?

klayton88

He needs credit for the first touch on his first goal. His burst of pace to get in front of the defender and he's travelling when he takes that touch and it's perfect. I'll fully admit I scream at the TV 10 times a game when it just bounces off him, but that was good control.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Fascinating comments of how Ole had set him his own personal work plan of 3-4 weeks to get fit and sharp, seems to have lost weight, the extra finishing training is paying off and he has been complimented on it. Ole was tough at the beginning but with a purpose, he could see he was not fit after the WC and made a big decision that is coming off in the crunch time of the season. Also seen comments from Ole that he wants him running on to the ball more, in the danger area, to be more dynamic and that he does better with a partner. See a lot of evidence of how Ole pays attention to what each player needs to be at their best. Great management.
Well said. The goals are obviously great but if anything I'm more impressed with his vastly improved contribution overall. His hunger and mobility last night was superb (until towards the end when he was absolutely knackered) and a far cry from a few months back when he was like a big hologram. Our injury crisis has been awful but one of the main things that has helped us ride the storm is getting our big striker back from a position where he was worse than injured, taking a place in the squad when he was incapable of doing the basics.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s going to put Arsenal to the sword as well. Can’t wait.

Josh 76

Agree with all this. Just a big shame ole can't do anything about his first touch. I was nervous every time the ball was played to him in the centre of the park.

rollingstoned1

Lukaku is really well spoken isn't he? He comes across as quite thoughtful and intelligent in interviews. I'm happy for him, goes without saying that a fit and firing Lukaku is a huge asset for us and in the absence of a lot of important players he has stood up exactly like we needed. Has for me won us the Soton game singlehandedly, earnt us 2 points against palace and today won us the tie after his incredibly well taken goal when the match began to set the tone and the cat among the pigeons. Making a lot of people eat crow.

Mike Smalling

I have been very critical and skeptical of Lukaku and I still have my doubts about him as a starter based on his technical ability and hold-up play, but credit where it is due. His contribution in the last three matches has been phenomenal. He can take a huge part of the credit for us going through in the CL and if we get top 4, we will look back at his goals against Crystal Palace and Southampton as very critical.

Long may it continue. His last outing at the Emirates was quite good, so hopefully he can replicate that!

Mcking

The reason we won't get a RW.

Play with 2 strikers & let Martial, Rashford, Lukaku, Greenwood all compete for 2 positions.

We get a RW then players like him or Rashford or Martial will end up being on the bench when they don't deserve to be.
One of them will still be on the bench either way.

OldTrevil

I've criticised him for his limited technical ability, but fair play he's been banging them in of late. And he had a lot of good touches too. Long may that continue. Good that Ole has noticed that he's better playing with a partner up front, I said it every time he partnered with Martial especially, his game always improved

Matt007a

I don't think many of us saw this form coming. He's still got issues in that his touch is very inconsistent and his link up play is poor, but he is clearly a good finisher and his physicality gives defenders real problems.

He definitely needs to be played a certain way to make him effective. Really you don't want to involve him in the build-up at all. Just get him into shooting positions or get him 1v1 with a defender so he can power his way past. His strengths and weaknesses are very exaggerated compared to the well rounded forwards we're used to.

RedIan

Agree, still technically very poor with control and holding the ball up - but when on form, his power and pace scare the shit out of defences and his finishing is up there with the best. Working really well with Rashford.

Jeffthered

He was rightly criticized for those abysmal performances where he looked like an amateur footballer.
Because you cannot judge footballers like that. What happens if he doesn't score, or play very well for the next three games? He gets slaughtered again?

Congratulate the guy, because he has shown great character... and WE, as fans, as well as the players, the club all are benefiting from it. I don't think there is a defender who wants to to see him on a team sheet at the moment.

Ole, and his team have been superb with him, and all the squad. Absolutely superb.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
He got slaughtered because he was playing like crap and was either unable or unwilling to put the effort and fight in. The criticism has been proved right as he's playing like a real handful again. He wasn't playing like this from September-January, even ignoring the goals. Perversely, slimming down a little seems to have made him stronger against defenders, as his balance is better, and he's able to steady himself and get his shots away. He's playing again like the player I wanted to seriously consider for captain in the summer.

VanGaalEra

He's a goalscorer, it's what he does. He's looking leaner and fitter again. Put some respect on Red Rom!

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Did you read the quotes? It wasn't just about his performances but his overall ability. The amount of vitriol aimed at the guy from his own fans has been disgraceful and it's only right they eat some humble pie now.

Shark

@NotShark
He's clearly gotten himself in shape and as good as his form has been it's really no surprise he's improved with the extra weight off. Absolutely baffling that our training/fitness staff didn't pick up on this sooner.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He got slaughtered because he was playing like crap and was either unable or unwilling to put the effort and fight in. The criticism has been proved right as he's playing like a real handful again. He wasn't playing like this from September-January, even ignoring the goals. Perversely, slimming down a little seems to have made him stronger against defenders, as his balance is better, and he's able to steady himself and get his shots away. He's playing again like the player I wanted to seriously consider for captain in the summer.
Yep. It's fair to call a spade a spade, under Mourinho he was getting worse and worse. He tried to turn him into a big heavy target man but that's just not what he's good at.

At Everton he was his best when he pulled to the right wing and dribbled at people, or ran in behind. He was clearly struggling with the extra weight, which makes you more tired and then makes your touch even worse. People who play will know when you're tired your touch goes out the window.

He showed in his first year what he's capable of, and he's getting back to that now. He seems a great guy so i'm super pleased for him, 2 goals out of sheer hard work.

The first one wasn't an easy finish either, he was at a really wide angle and fouled by Silva.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
What a performance from Lukaku, as humble as he is he should know inside he was superb

DarkRed

Nor he or Rashford will be willing to sit on the bench next season, so most likely he will ask for a transfer ( we will not sell Rashford ).

But now the teams that will want him will be of a bigger caliber, maybe even the same PSG :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
He's doing some great things but I think we should take him off (if the scoreline allows) and when he looks leggy. I think second half late on, his mobility wasn't the best. Did well for both goals. Thought he over touched it for the first one but thankfully he was able to slide it in. The second is a good tactic running in after a rashford shot because with the swerve and Lukaku bearing down on you goals will come and the second was a biggy. Great finish.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
My favourite Lukaku last night was centre back Lukaku. When he didn't take the penalty and I couldn't see him up front, I thought he had been subbed off for a few minutes, before I realised that he was manning the barricades,

Classical Mechanic

Yep. It's fair to call a spade a spade, under Mourinho he was getting worse and worse. He tried to turn him into a big heavy target man but that's just not what he's good at.

At Everton he was his best when he pulled to the right wing and dribbled at people, or ran in behind. He was clearly struggling with the extra weight, which makes you more tired and then makes your touch even worse. People who play will know when you're tired your touch goes out the window.

He showed in his first year what he's capable of, and he's getting back to that now. He seems a great guy so i'm super pleased for him, 2 goals out of sheer hard work.

The first one wasn't an easy finish either, he was at a really wide angle and fouled by Silva.
I think the bulking up idea came from advice he took from national team coaches? I think Mourinho was actually unhappy with it.

Manowar

Did you read the quotes? It wasn't just about his performances but his overall ability. The amount of vitriol aimed at the guy from his own fans has been disgraceful and it's only right they eat some humble pie now.
His overall ability manifested itself in his performance?

He should be judged critically when supposed to be our main striker, and when he did help us to make history like today, he will be rightly awarded with praises from everyone.

nemanja15

His touch and one-touch link-up last night was outstanding. I honestly don't really remember him being shrugged off the ball or it bouncing off him as we've seen in the past. He's carried us the last 2-3 weeks, been awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.