Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If United possessed a really great winger or wide forward (someone like Bale, Ronaldo a few years ago, or Hazard) and played a 4-3-3 then i honestly think Lukaku is good enough to occupy the central striker role. He'll never be a flashy player and will probably never be the star man in the team but I think he will have a decent career for us. I don't think his form has been all that good at the start of this season and yet he's still got 4 goals in 5 games and I fancy him to get a couple more in the champions league this week.
I guess that was supposed to be Sanchez

Shark

@NotShark
He's scored half of our goals so far. He's carrying the attack and has been carrying it for quite a while now.
If he isn’t in the pitch, we struggle for goals, it’s as simple as that. Jose has got to sort that out. I get that Sánchez was brought in partly to improve us in that area, but it’s not working out. Lingard was chipping in last season, but it still wasn’t enough.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
If he isn’t in the pitch, we struggle for goals, it’s as simple as that. Jose has got to sort that out. I get that Sánchez was brought in partly to improve us in that area, but it’s not working out. Lingard was chipping in last season, but it still wasn’t enough.
We have created roughly the same quality of chances as Chelsea yet have scored far less. You can say that both against Watford and Spurs we were good for more goals.

Yes we can be better in creating but I have been quite frustrated with our horrible counter attacking. I think it's not the tactics but the execution that is the problem as we mess up counter attacks far too often.

haram

We have created roughly the same quality of chances as Chelsea yet have scored far less. You can say that both against Watford and Spurs we were good for more goals.

Yes we can be better in creating but I have been quite frustrated with our horrible counter attacking. I think it's not the tactics but the execution that is the problem as we mess up counter attacks far too often.
Should have scored more against Burnley as well. I agree our counter attacks need to improve, we should have killed that Watford game with a counter.

edgar allan

He is carrying the team at the moment and that is a worry as one man can't do that for a full season.

Litch

His life would be sooo much easier if others were scoring too....

UncleBob

He is carrying the team at the moment and that is a worry as one man can't do that for a full season.
We've built the team around him scoring, it should hardly be much of a surprise that we depend on him scoring goals then.

edgar allan

We've built the team around him scoring, it should hardly be much of a surprise that we depend on him scoring goals then.
That is true to a point but any team would expect midfield and wide players to be contributing more in any system.
We seen last year what happened when Lukaku lost form and was injured,

UncleBob

That is true to a point but any team would expect midfield and wide players to be contributing more in any system.
We seen last year what happened when Lukaku lost form and was injured,
The biggest issue was when he was out injured, where the solution was to play the exact same system only with Rashford up top. It's more of a player dependent system. Why didn't we play to Rashfords strength instead of using him as he was Lukaku ?

Aloysius's Back 3

The biggest issue was when he was out injured, where the solution was to play the exact same system only with Rashford up top. It's more of a player dependent system. Why didn't we play to Rashfords strength instead of using him as he was Lukaku ?
Top post - Players like arnautpvic, Ibrahimlvic, Fellaini will play better upfront because of what we actually intend to do with the ball - not that players like Rashford & Martial are not better than arnautpvic or who ever else we were linked with.

edgar allan

Maybe even play to their two strengths in the same team?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Bring Martial back to the starting XI and I’m certain Lukaku will do much better than with Sanchez. Him and Tony have shown an understanding and opportunities have been created out of that for one another than with any other combination for Rom.

Terminator

Bring Martial back to the starting XI and I’m certain Lukaku will do much better than with Sanchez. Him and Tony have shown an understanding and opportunities have been created out of that for one another than with any other combination for Rom.
True, they seem to have a really good understanding. Certainly much better than Sanchez and Lukaku

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Rom has now scored 20 league goals for us. Only 3 players have scored 20 league goals for us in fewer games - Ruud, RVP and Yorke. Shows he’s doing pretty well for us and I think he will have a very good season for us tbh.

MadMike

Bit of a weird one considering the Sancez-Lukaku link up has been improving a lot recently, with Sanchez setting Lukaku up with nice far post crosses.

In any case I think if we had a decent right winger providing width down that flank with Shaw continuing his form down the left, that would free up either Martial or Sanchez to play closer to Lukaku and therefore get more goals for themselves while also providing more ammuniation for Rom.

Currently there's too much onus on Lukaku to score and if he doesn't we usually fire blanks and lose the game.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Bit of a weird one considering the Sancez-Lukaku link up has been improving a lot recently, with Sanchez setting Lukaku up with nice far post crosses.

In any case I think if we had a decent right winger providing width down that flank with Shaw continuing his form down the left, that would free up either Martial or Sanchez to play closer to Lukaku and therefore get more goals for themselves while also providing more ammuniation for Rom.

Currently there's too much onus on Lukaku to score and if he doesn't we usually fire blanks and lose the game.
Maybe then we should try Sanchez on the right, where he has actually played before and since he's not setting that left wing on fire, or even on sparks, it might be worth a shout. The fact that it still hasn't been done after all this time, I can't imagine Mourinho hasn't considered it so the question is whether Sanchez made it a stipulation in his coming here that he would not play on the right.

Rom is likely going to do better with service coming from the left rather than the right, but with a Shaw-Martial left wing creating danger and possibilities for Lukaku, that gives space for Sanchez to attack from the right.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's been poor overall so far, yet is still scoring regularly. Very encouraging when a striker has that trait. Can't wait to see how many he bags when he gets himself in top form.

Young Boys 0:3 Man Utd

EasyE

Nothing went for him today, at all. Lethargic and sloppy. Was it the lack of break in the summer catching him up or did the big fella not like the heavy astro?

Minimalist

Him and Rashford were probably the worst out there. Poor touches all game it seemed.

kundalini

His inability to retain possession was almost comical. Lets be generous and put it down to the pitch.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
A victim of the fake pitch it seems. It's already hard enough for him to control the ball with tree trunks for legs, the fake pitch affecting the bounce of the ball made it difficult for him.

That Martial pass summed him up. He had every right to expect Lukaku to go for that as he played the pass but he didn't even move. He has near zero anticipation and movement.

Getting a single shot against opposition that poor is worrying.

Thiagoal

Is it just me or has he put on a couple of stone in muscle recently? He's always been built- don't get me wrong- but he looks like a tank at the minute. Seems to be slowing him down! Where's the Lukaku at Everton that would dribble with pace past players before smashing the ball into the net??

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Getting tired of his poor touch, movement, workrate, overall if he isn't scoring he isn't doing much.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
When he's bad...he's really really bad. Couldn't trap a bag of cement. Hope he's back to his best on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.