4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadrevelz

It's not a Lukaku problem. It's a problem plaguing our attack. I have issue with the idea that you can swap him out with another striker (except for Kane and Aguero) and see a significant bump in production.

Now from a stylistic perspective, we like what we like, and I accept the fact that his way of play will never win some over.
I don't think we should swap him with another striker, just sell and buy a winger or attacking CM. I would rely on Rashford and Martial to score as well as the new signings and Pogba. Maybe give Greenwood a few chances too.

It's not about style, though I admit I prefer watching different strikers. It's about fluidity, energy, pressing, movement etc.

SATA

I thought he was good last night although he missed a couple of chances. You should never take off a goalscorer when your team needs a goal to get something out of the game. Very poor management by Ole

Also i'm starting to notice Pogba seems to have some frequent exchange of words with him on the pitch. Doesn't give me the friendly vibes. I thought they are best mates when Romelu was joining the club

I thought he was good last night although he missed a couple of chances. You should never take off a goalscorer when your team needs a goal to get something out of the game. Very poor management by Ole

Also i'm starting to notice Pogba seems to have some frequent exchange of words with him on the pitch. Doesn't give me the friendly vibes. I thought they are best mates when Romelu was joining the club
I've noticed that too. On social media they were inseparable early on, but even on player nights out Lukaku is nowhere to be seen now.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I've noticed that too. On social media they were inseparable early on, but even on player nights out Lukaku is nowhere to be seen now.
Same here. I thought they were great mates but If I had to guess I’d say pogba falling out with Jose and Lukaku being undroppable and getting on with the manager might have had something to do with it

Stacks

So in that same link, change the stats you're looking at to "big chances created". Which I think is a better metric of how many chances we generate for our forwards and other players.

Or use this link: https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/big_chance_created

We have not had a Manchester United player in the top 10 of chances created, since Ryan Giggs and Wayne Rooney in 2011/12!

It's no debate. We're not creating enough, period. Now if you're content with that aspect of our attack and need Lukaku to be more clinical beyond what is usually expected then fair enough.

Edit: Since I was curious, I checked the stats for last season. Aguero created 11 big chances. Lukaku created 9 big chances.
think you missed my point. You responded to my initial statement that Zlatan had loads of chances in a worse team.....yes a team that did not create chances and were managed by Snorinho, yet Zlatan managed to get the ball in dangerous places and find goal scoring opportunities, hence his superior qualities. I do not need to see our past creativity from the Fergie era. Anyways Zlatam created 8 big chances himself in 28 apps on top of his 17 goals and 18 big chances missed. it would appear Kun would do rather better under these circumstances me thinks.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
think you missed my point. You responded to my initial statement that Zlatan had loads of chances in a worse team.....yes a team that did not create chances and were managed by Snorinho, yet Zlatan managed to get the ball in dangerous places and find goal scoring opportunities, hence his superior qualities. I do not need to see our past creativity from the Fergie era. Anyways Zlatam created 8 big chances himself in 28 apps on top of his 17 goals and 18 big chances missed. it would appear Kun would do rather better under these circumstances me thinks.
Ah. I see. So the solution here is to replace Lukaku with an Aguero. Makes sense.

billybee99

So many haters here with revisionist mentality. Talking about Rom like he's the worst striker in the league. Also as far as chance creation, the chance creation has been the same with Rom in the team as it has been without him. Rashford misses a ton of chances, Martial fails to do anything other than dribble and the rest of the players can't cross and make terrible decisions. How is it that Lukaku still is the top scorer for this season? Also good luck finding a better striker on the market that you don't have to pay 2 or 3x the price of him for.

He is our best finisher, facts not feelings.
Yes, our top scorer with a whopping 12 league goals this season coming off 16 the previous year. Those are embarrassing tallies especially when you consider that he offers absolutely nothing else in terms of hold up play or link up play or work rate.

Last edited:

billybee99

His record says he is a good goalscorer. You can't deny that. He has scored over 20 goals a season in all competitions for the past 5 seasons and is the all time top goal scorer for Belgium. He also is in the top 20 all time top goal scorers in the prem at 25.
Yes I can deny that. And as usual, you are quoting All Comp numbers to puff up his stats. This guy has never, not a single time in his career, averaged 1 in 2 or better. Not once. His numbers (pre-United) would be acceptable if he offered any other qualities on the pitch but he just doesn't. You can't have a less than 1 in 2 striker who can't win headers or hold up the ball or anything else that a top striker does. Just look at what Harry Kane did for Tottenham's goal against Liverpool; holds the ball up under pressure, draws a foul; gets to his feet and immediately makes a fantastic pass that leads to the goal - that is a top striker .

Stacks

This 'service' thing never comes up in the Rashford thread
Even when he gets peach of deliveries he hits it straight at the keeper or off the target.
That's because he is so much more dynamic and causes havoc, takes people on, tries stuff (long range efforts, speculative efforts) the things a forward should do. Still has glaring weaknesses though. Both our forwards are best as back up forwards for a title challenging side.

Stacks

So in that same link, change the stats you're looking at to "big chances created". Which I think is a better metric of how many chances we generate for our forwards and other players.

Or use this link: https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/big_chance_created

We have not had a Manchester United player in the top 10 of chances created, since Ryan Giggs and Wayne Rooney in 2011/12!

It's no debate. We're not creating enough, period. Now if you're content with that aspect of our attack and need Lukaku to be more clinical beyond what is usually expected then fair enough.

Edit: Since I was curious, I checked the stats for last season. Aguero created 11 big chances. Lukaku created 9 big chances.
Apologies for dragging this out but going back to the "we don't create enough chances" debate, it would be interesting to see the graphics under Ole as we have played with a restrictive manager for the 1st part of this season.

Despite this though, using the same website, United are SECOND in the league for big chances missed, this season after City! :eek: 5th for shots on goal (only 3 less than Spurs), 4th for goals scored and we have 2 players in the top 7 for big chances missed (our 2 centre forwards). I don't know how good you assume our rivals are to be honest but evidently, overrating them is a possibility.

Make of this what you will.......

Zorica

Lukaku is the least of our problems. He can shoot, cross, assist, shrug off defenders and score and play on forward centre, right which is really suitable because Martial play on the other side (left).

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Please go. Great guy and he has his moments but he'll never be a center forward for a team with ambitions of winning the league or Europe because of his many limitations.

Cloud7

deadrevelz

Is there another Real Madrid and Barcelona in Spain that he’s talking about? Surely it can’t be the ones that play in white and purple that he’s mentioning himself as a candidate for :lol:

On topic it’s almost amusing that even Lukaku thinks he’s outgrowing us. Can’t say I’ll be upset if he pushes for a move.
Talking his player up. If he goes he'll get a good club, but he won't have many options due to his style. An Italian club would be my guess.

haram

We finished 2nd with him as our number 9. Now apparently he is the reason why we are 6th. It's getting hilarious seeing people scrambling trying to explain what is happening. Everyone was convinced it was a manager thing.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
We finished 2nd with him as our number 9. Now apparently he is the reason why we are 6th. It's getting hilarious seeing people scrambling trying to explain what is happening. Everyone was convinced it was a manager thing.
He's got obvious weaknesses in his game but when his confidence is up he's a lethal striker no doubt. He gets way too much stick, people shouting at him for missing 'sitters' despite not knowing what a 'sitter' actually is. Every shot at goal is a sitter according to some, it's rather tedious.

If we can get a good fee for him we should sell- he's not a united type of striker anyway.

Greck

This guy, like Mourinho will learn there won't be many top clubs rushing for his signature when he leaves United. The delusion is real

Isn't that the second time he's talked about going to Italy? Hopefully he does it, he'd be decent in a slower league and he's never going to be good enough for what we need here.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He's not United level, but he's also not the biggest problem we have at the moment. Given the the fact that there are no standout, proven options at CF out there, plus the amount of rebuilding we need to do this summer mean no way do we sell him, at his age.

Give him the summer to lose 10kgs, get some stamina back, and see what happens when we don't play with just one side of the pitch.

He may not be great, but our right flank is Ashley Young and Lingard or Mata. We're never going to be giving strikers a lot to go on as long as that is the case. Overhaul that entire side of the pitch and we'll improve far more than just swapping Lukaku for a less-proven striker (because we'd have to).

Mcking

Yes I can deny that. And as usual, you are quoting All Comp numbers to puff up his stats. This guy has never, not a single time in his career, averaged 1 in 2 or better. Not once. His numbers (pre-United) would be acceptable if he offered any other qualities on the pitch but he just doesn't. You can't have a less than 1 in 2 striker who can't win headers or hold up the ball or anything else that a top striker does. Just look at what Harry Kane did for Tottenham's goal against Liverpool; holds the ball up under pressure, draws a foul; gets to his feet and immediately makes a fantastic pass that leads to the goal - that is a top striker .
Last season at Everton. He's got a fantastic pass and cross in his locker too.

R'hllor

We should offer him a new contract as soon as possible, if Real and Barca started sniffing. we should let them know, to stay clear. If he does leave, hope it wont have to big of negative impact on Young next season, due those two having a telepathic connection on a pitch.

Greck

We should offer him a new contract as soon as possible, if Real and Barca started sniffing. we should let them know, to stay clear. If he does leave, hope it wont have to big of negative impact on Young next season, due those two having a telepathic connection on a pitch.
Had to do a quick scroll to make sure I wasn't posting in the wrong player's thread

Kapardin

Real or Barca? Self-confidence is good for any player but delusion is something else. He would be lucky to take his first touch to Sevilla or Valencia.

Almost had me till the Young and telepathy part.:lol:

Ace of Spades

I think he is fine as part of the squad, maybe next season we can sell him as he is still useful and needed now that Mata and Sanchez are rumoured to be going.

Mike Smalling

Still a good player, relatively young and three years left on his contract. He is someone we could actually get a decent amount for, if he decided to leave. I definitely wouldn't be heartbroken if he left, so long as we get the majority of our transfer fee back.

Status
Not open for further replies.