4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rajma

Imo a second proper striker should be a priority now to challenge him, we can’t rely on him going into a new season.

Too many aspects of his game require polishing/fixing for us to base our season on him being main CF and source of goals.

Art Vandelay

Bit shit today. Hopefully a rest before the season gets him back into form.

I noticed Belgium started leaving him forward when defending corners. Probably a lesson we should learn given his pace and his inability to clear the ball on several occasions last season.

Zoo

He went straight down the tunnel so I’m going to assume he’s carrying a knock or something. It’s the excuse which is being made for Harry Kane anyway despite Southgate saying there’s nothing wrong with him.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
He went straight down the tunnel so I’m going to assume he’s carrying a knock or something. It’s the excuse which is being made for Harry Kane anyway despite Southgate saying there’s nothing wrong with him.
I remember him limping in the second group stage match and there were rumours of him being injured then. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if it comes out that he's been carrying a knock for a while.

Hope I'm wrong and he comes back to us fully fit. Expecting a big season from him.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Imo a second proper striker should be a priority now to challenge him, we can’t rely on him going into a new season.

Too many aspects of his game require polishing/fixing for us to base our season on him being main CF and source of goals.
Cheeky punt on Benteke?

extincti fugax hominum

Touch of a rapist as they say. Clearly the biggest weakness of his game. I can't believe a striker with his touch is worth 85m and considered as a top class player just because he is fast & strong. Just goes to show the decreasing individual quality of football in the last couple of years.

Zoo

Martinez:

“You need to understand that today he did incredibly to be in the starting line-up.

It was really a difficult game against France. He had a couple of knocks, he was carrying a little bit of pain.”

YouOnlyLiveTwice

He isn't the most elegant striker, but still the best we could realistically get. Give him some actual service in the box and he will flourish. Least of our problems right now.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Great tournament. Simply makes you happy we got him last season. I hope he has another good season.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Hopefully improves on his 16 league goals and overall performance level

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Martinez:

“You need to understand that today he did incredibly to be in the starting line-up.

It was really a difficult game against France. He had a couple of knocks, he was carrying a little bit of pain.”
He's done this a few times for us as well, when he's not 100% you can really tell he isn't. We need to manage him properly.

Based Adnan

Still not completely convinced by him if I'm being honest. One of our better outfield players despite that though mind.

DancingPanda

My favorite player in this current Manchester squad. Would have been very happy with someone like Mandzukicas as back-up striker, though.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
His touch is what lets him down. Sometimes, his first touch can be brilliant - but he had 2-3 opportunities today and each time his heavy touch destroyed the chance for himself.

Hope we use him more effectively next season. Even if he's being marked closely, he loves receiving the ball because he knows he can use his strength and turn the defender.

He seems annoyed at times for United and Belgium where his team mates don't pass it to him when he's marked. Players need to realise that he's a fecking unit and he can easily win a free kick if he doesn't turn outmuscle the defender.

Think he'll clock 30+ goals this season. If Sanchez ticks this season, then his numbers will soar as well as his assists.

Greck

Came around to the big fella but am under no illusions that he's perfect. Those ocassional heavy first touches when he's through on goal need to go away for good. Those types of passes are among the best service a striker can receive in a crowded box.

Ashley R1+O

Great tournament. Simply makes you happy we got him last season. I hope he has another good season.
Agreed, another year of growth for himself personally and in the team and we will definitely be in the hunt. A player who is worth watching as well, looking forward to it.

48 hours

Roberto Martinez says he thinks Lukaku is the best centre forward in the world, but also admits he biased. No mention of his first touch though. (Taken from the MEN)

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...rtinez-14908845.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Romelu Lukaku is the best centre-forward in world football.

That's according to Belgium manager Roberto Martinez, who ranks the forward higher than the likes of Harry Kane and Robert Lewandowski in the striker stakes.

Lukaku scored four goals for Belgium at the World Cup and Martinez, who also has experience of working with Lukaku at club level from the pair's time together at Everton, was glowing in his praise of the £75million striker ahead of England's game against Belgium.

“If you ask me ‘is he the best in the world?’, yes," Martinez said. "But I am biased.

I worked first with him when he was 19 and I’ve seen an incredible, incredible journey in his career. His numbers throughout his career are very difficult (to achieve)."

Lukaku missed out on the Golden Boot to fellow Premier League marksman Kane but Martinez says that is in part due to his selflessness on the pitch.

“Romelu had a great chance to score against Japan but instead provided one of the best assists of the tournament," Martinez said. "That sums up his mindset.

Romelu wants to succeed for the team, he’s more interested in that than any individual awards.”

Bestietom

Give him the service and he will score. A good RW to deliver better crosses and he will score loads.

jesperjaap

Here here. Guarantees goals and being unplayable at times.....also guarantees other games of an awful first touch and missing crucial chances. There are times after 15minutes you can tell if he will be brilliant or utter garbage the rest of the game

Ekeke

Does anyone think he's at his best as a target man in the middle? Other than Mourinho I mean.

I think both for Everton and during the world cup we saw that he's at his best when given the ball in a wide area and running at a single defender.

At United he tends to play as a static central striker and we rarely see him with the ball in that position and with that opportunity. Perhaps we need a player who can dynamically swap position with Lukaku at times so he can pop up wide and run his man, without us having no striker in the box?

Minimalist

Some serious misery in this thread before a ball has even been kicked. :lol:

meamth

His first touch is like bambi on ice. Always too excited to take the ball and ended up with heavy touch. He needs to fix that, maybe his composure is just not at the highest level. You can be tough mentally and all that but when it comes to the real moment, it could shock you so bad.

I wish he can improve that part of his game this season but that seems very unlikely.

James Peril

Perspective is needed here, a lot of it. You clearly rate him highly, I rate him considerably lower. You say great tournament, I have to say he at times was a liability for his much more talented and football-smarter team-mates - both in terms of lacking anticiption and woeful touch. He was great against pub teams like Tunisia and Panama, decent against Brazil, very poor against France and England (embarrassingly bad). Not sure how you end up at «great», little emphasis can be put on the first two games after all. Even Giroud would nick a few against these teams, so could we.

Regardless, I know my opinions of Lukaku are not in high esteem on here, I hope he proves me wrong next season and scores lots of goals. 16 goals last season is far from being good enough for United and the competition we are facing - it’s a new world. He needs 25 league goals, nothing less, now please start scoring for fun and make us proud.

Status
Not open for further replies.