4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beagle

No need to feel apologetic for people who shit on him earlier. He deserved all of it for being utter trash. Just like he deserves all the praise in the world for his recent performances. I still stand by the fact that he is a bit shit with the ball but scoring a lot of goals overshadows all his deficiencies.

He has shown a marked improvement in attitude and mentality. He missed the same type of chance against Spurs earlier in the season (first goal against PSG). We all saw he was on his heel most of the time during Jose's time. Now he seems to be on the front foot, anticipating situations way better. Fair play to him for turning it around.

onemanarmy

Nor he or Rashford will be willing to sit on the bench next season, so most likely he will ask for a transfer ( we will not sell Rashford ).

But now the teams that will want him will be of a bigger caliber, maybe even the same PSG :)
What makes you think he will sit on the bench that often? He'll get plenty of games.

Coxy

Not gonna lie, a few weeks ago I would have sold him, along with Sanchez - I want Rashford as our main man - but lately he's starting to convince me!

MadMike

There isn't a more likeable guy in this United team than him, for me. He's always eloquent, honest, confident yet humble, passionate, determined, altruistic and compassionate towards both his team mates and the opposition. He's just a top human all around.

I really hope this crop of players gets to win a title or two, maybe even CL, and end up becoming legends. So they become part of the fabric of this club and 15 years from we can see them in the stands and TV studios celebrating and hugging it out like the class of 92, Rio, Uncle Pat, Cantona et al.

Danny Roberts

Agree, still technically very poor with control and holding the ball up - but when on form, his power and pace scare the shit out of defences and his finishing is up there with the best. Working really well with Rashford.
He's not technically very poor. The poster above you sums it up perfectly IMO - his touch is very inconsistent. I suppose if you drill down into it maybe that is technique but my issue that is sometimes his "technique" in terms of touch and control in world class. Others it is awful.

InfiniteBoredom

He's not technically very poor. The poster above you sums it up perfectly IMO - his touch is very inconsistent. I suppose if you drill down into it maybe that is technique but my issue that is sometimes his "technique" in terms of touch and control in world class. Others it is awful.
Inconsistent technique is poor technique by default.

The thing with Lukaku is that this isn’t a case of Rooney-esque technique, wherein it is dogshite if he’s out of form/rusty but fine otherwise, his levels in this regard varies wildly in the same match even at top form, and if he’s not banging in the goals then it’s a big issue because having a non-reliable teammate is detrimental to the whole set up.

Fortunately he’s banging them in, and long may it continue. However, if he is to be our undisputed starting forward, then he needs to do something about that problem, and fast. Of course, Ole might favour a multiple strikers set up in the long run, which alleviate the pressure somewhat.

That kind of makes him technically poor. Anyone can control a ball perfectly if they have enough chances to do it. Being able to do it every time is what makes players technically excellent. He can play around but it requires the team to be set up to do so, which in my opinion limits us.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I suspect he’ll always be inconsistent and frustrating but he proved last night that when he’s at it he’s perfect for the Champions League.

Last edited:

Danny Roberts

Inconsistent technique is poor technique by default.

The thing with Lukaku is that this isn’t a case of Rooney-esque technique, wherein it is dogshite if he’s out of form/rusty but fine otherwise, his levels in this regard varies wildly in the same match even at top form, and if he’s not banging in the goals then it’s a big issue because having a non-reliable teammate is detrimental to the whole set up.

Fortunately he’s banging them in, and long may it continue. However, if he is to be our undisputed starting forward, then he needs to do something about that problem, and fast. Of course, Ole might favour a multiple strikers set up in the long run, which alleviate the pressure somewhat.
I'm not sure it varies too much within matches. I watched him a lot at Everton and usually within 5 minutes you could tell what type of game he was going to have. No idea what it's all about.

Either way and whatever you call it, he needs to find his best game more often, although for me the goals mean that I can forgive the odd off game. I'm not sure how his record compares to other strikers who supposedly didn't offer the team much (eg Ruud, Cole) but bearing in mind he is only approaching his peak and has spent a lot of time at lesser clubs, then in a struggling United, I really don't think his strike rate is far off.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He looks like the player he was last season, he’s on fire at the minute, great performance last night and like others have said, he stepped up when we needed him the most.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
First player since Ronaldo to score a brace 3 games in a row. He's on track for 5 seasons in a row scoring 20+ goals. He's easily our best goalscorer, if he had a good touch he'd dominate in every game he plays, but he's an absolute tank so it's quite difficult for him to have graceful feet.

Did anyone see him celebrating in front of Di Maria as soon as Rashford scored his penalty :lol: ?

I think after his recent performances he should definitely be starting as ST against Arsenal

Foxbatt

My favourite Lukaku last night was centre back Lukaku. When he didn't take the penalty and I couldn't see him up front, I thought he had been subbed off for a few minutes, before I realised that he was manning the barricades,
Was he asked to play at CB or did he do it on his own? I was surprised to see a new CB playing and was wondering what happened when I realized it was Lukaku.

Robertd0803

Was he asked to play at CB or did he do it on his own? I was surprised to see a new CB playing and was wondering what happened when I realized it was Lukaku.
And he was fecking immense at the back. Got us out of trouble a few times.

Shearer was the same at Newcastle oddly anytime he was defending the box
he was great at it.

sugar_kane

Super composure for both goals last night.

I've been hating on him most of the season but he was arguably our best player in the second half of last season.

If he can stay focused he will be a worthy member of the squad.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
And he was fecking immense at the back. Got us out of trouble a few times.

Shearer was the same at Newcastle oddly anytime he was defending the box
he was great at it.
Pre-2000s it was quite common for centre backs to play centre forward and vice versa, or switch during their career. Dion Dublin is probably the most high profile player to switch most recently. He started his career at centre back, spent most of it as a centre forward, and finished at centre back for Norwich.

Danny Roberts

Pre-2000s it was quite common for centre backs to play centre forward and vice versa, or switch during their career. Dion Dublin is probably the most high profile player to switch most recently. He started his career at centre back, spent most of it as a centre forward, and finished at centre back for Norwich.
And John Charles the best ever. Think he got voted in Juventus' greatest team ever in both positions in one fans' poll!

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
He's really stepped up for us when it looked like injuries could derail our season, yes there's technical aspects of his game he needs to improve but he's scored those important goals, if it's between him and sanchez who stays I say goodbye sanchez.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yes. A hero. But just look back a few weeks. He was an absolute zero.
With Lukaku, what you see is what you get. Yes his first touch isn't always brilliant. But. There are times when he is unplayable and gets terrible critism for not being something he isn't.

He has a big heart and no small amount of skill. He has absolutely stepped up just when we needed him so well done Romalu but you have got to keep it going.

Sylar

He was dropped rightfully so when Ole came in. He played barely 10 mins in the first leg (with Mata and freakin Sanchez coming on before him). However he didnt sulk, he didnt complain, he worked hard, his pointing seems to be regressing, he seems to be pressing / running more and seems more mobile.

And on top of that, scoring goals and winners. Not just stat padding goals but important ones at a time when most of our front players are out. Kudos

DarkRed

You want Rashford and Martial to play every single match?
It's not about what I want, strikers ( and not only strikers) like to play as many as they can, the best of strikers almost never replaced.
Can you name a top team where it's a real competition for the number 9 spot?

Danny Roberts

It's not about what I want, strikers ( and not only strikers) like to play as many as they can, the best of strikers almost never replaced.
Can you name a top team where it's a real competition for the number 9 spot?
If Rom keeps playing like he is and scoring then clearly he'll start most games. He generally did do but only poor form really stopped that.

worldinmotion66

I'll never be a big Lukaku fan but we are at least playing to his strengths, and I must admit, his hold up play and work rate seemed much improved on Tuesday. Appears that he is training hard and getting fitter, which has clearly been a problem for him this season. He has his confidence back, and he can be a real handful when he's on his game.

Do we expect him to play from the right again on Sunday?

Loublaze

ATLien
He was dropped rightfully so when Ole came in. He played barely 10 mins in the first leg (with Mata and freakin Sanchez coming on before him). However he didnt sulk, he didnt complain, he worked hard, his pointing seems to be regressing, he seems to be pressing / running more and seems more mobile.

And on top of that, scoring goals and winners. Not just stat padding goals but important ones at a time when most of our front players are out. Kudos
He wasn't dropped he was injured when Ole came in and Rashford took his chance.

cyril C

Not if Ole continues with the 4-4-2
Or 433 with Lingard playing #10 role in the middle, as against Spurs. Martial will be bench but then there are enough games for 4 players after 3 positions. We should need a 5th player but neither Sanchez nor Mata are good enough IMO.

laughtersassassin

Been absolutely brilliant past 3 games but I do not take back my criticism of him for the rest of the season. He was abysmal and nowhere near good enough level to stay at this club. The thing with Lukaku is his general play can be so poor due to his first touch. That means if he isn't scoring he isn't contributing.

Hopefully, he keeps up his form as it makes our job easier not needing another player to replace in the summer.

haram

Been absolutely brilliant past 3 games but I do not take back my criticism of him for the rest of the season. He was abysmal and nowhere near good enough level to stay at this club. The thing with Lukaku is his general play can be so poor due to his first touch. That means if he isn't scoring he isn't contributing.

Hopefully, he keeps up his form as it makes our job easier not needing another player to replace in the summer.
2 assists vs Arsenal, 2 best chances against Liverpool created by him, domination of Lovren last season, assist for winning goal against Spurs last season, assist vs Arsenal last season, assist for Lingard’s winning goal against Chelsea...

You know there is also criticism that he doesn’t show up in big games... seems like that is false as well.

laughtersassassin

2 assists vs Arsenal, 2 best chances against Liverpool created by him, domination of Lovren last season, assist for winning goal against Spurs last season, assist vs Arsenal last season, assist for Lingard’s winning goal against Chelsea...

You know there is also criticism that he doesn’t show up in big games... seems like that is false as well.
And? I give him credit where it's due. He was fine last season. Not as good as some people made out but he was fine. 99% of criticism of him is for this season. I believe a lot of it may have stemmed from bulking up but that in itself he deserves to be criticized for as the man with his Everton slim body was so big he should be capable of bullying everyone in the league. 0 reason to put on muscle. Just affected his speed and agility.

His current form is where he needs to be while continuing to improve his general play as it is impossible to score every game so we can't have him putting in well below average performances in the games he doesn't score.

He is looking good now so hop the momentum stay with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.