Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Thought he was unlucky to be subbed before Martial and Lingard both of whom were dogshit.

steakpie

Thought he was unlucky to be subbed before Martial and Lingard both of whom were dogshit.
I agree but Lukaku also started vs Barca so maybe that was the reason. Also he carries alot of weight so maybe he struggles to play the full 90.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Aye. Similarly unlucky against Barca too.

As much as I'm no fan of him I think that he poses a bigger threat than anyone else right now. Largely because we cross the ball so fecking much.

KM

Aye. Similarly unlucky against Barca too.

As much as I'm no fan of him I think that he poses a bigger threat than anyone else right now. Largely because we cross the ball so fecking much.
It's weird but I think he's clearly our best option at RW.

Litch

No issues with Rom, it's a team sport and like others (like Fred) that we decent yesterday, you are always going to be limited when so many others were completely crap......

Carl

Sancho please.

I'd obviously not complain if we signed Eriksen mind. Just not sure he's what we really need.

Edit: whoops, thought that was a reply to my Eriksen post in that thread.

Carl

I dunno man. I know he has played well there in the past but I've seen him look awful there too, and if he's having a game where every 2nd touch is a tackle then he really hurts us.

KM

Sancho please.

I'd obviously not complain if we signed Eriksen mind. Just not sure he's what we really need.

Edit: whoops, thought that was a reply to my Eriksen post in that thread.
:lol:

I thought that was a random bit of muppetry in the player performance thread :lol:

KM

I dunno man. I know he has played well there in the past but I've seen him look awful there too, and if he's having a game where every 2nd touch is a tackle then he really hurts us.
When the alternatives are Mata and Lingard...

Carl

When the alternatives are Mata and Lingard...
Yeh, fair point. Mata should be nowhere near the team as far as I'm concerned. If he wasn't such a likeable guy he wouldn't carry half as much favour with United fans as he does currently.

Stacks

First half he did,with the lack of service.Second half he was told to be ever present on the right wing to put balls in the box,which is laughable.
Maybe he was pushed out wide because he wasn't offering enough 'threat'
He was decent, not great but not bad either.
So he was ok.
He caused a bit of problems in the first half. I’m not saying that’s the standard we should be aspiring to, but the other two were so bad they made his small contributions seem memorable.
Basically but is this a United level forward? He was better than the other 2 who were crap.
In the first half he did. Have to be biased to think otherwise. Set up Pogba and Lingard with great bits of skill for starters. Even forgetting that, he was still our comfortably best attacking player.
The other 2 attackers played 3's so I don't see this as anything to mention.
Do you think he’s Lionel Messi so he will take the ball and run through their defense? What did his creative teammates offer to him today?
The ball often falls back into opposition possession when played to him. Creators need someone to play off with lay offs one two's etc. Also did he make many good runs? It's all linked. No one just gets tap ins.

Cloud7

Basically but is this a United level forward? He was better than the other 2 who were crap.
He’s not a United level forward. I have made no secret about that in the past. I am all for getting rid of him, I was simply speaking in the context of yesterday’s match and assessing it as it played out before me. That doesn’t mean I want to keep him or think he’s good enough for us or anything like that.

As we were piling their box with bodies today i don't understand why he was the one on the flanks trying to put the ball in. Hes the one supposed to be getting on the end of things.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
As we were piling their box with bodies today i don't understand why he was the one on the flanks trying to put the ball in. Hes the one supposed to be getting on the end of things.
This what Ole wants though? Martial and Lukaku were wide forwards with driving runs into the box from Lingard and Pogba. The issue is that what can only play in one way and that's by getting the ball wide and crossing into no-one.

Kostov

The ball often falls back into opposition possession when played to him. Creators need someone to play off with lay offs one two's etc. Also did he make many good runs? It's all linked. No one just gets tap ins.
That actually hardly happened yesterday, and he has been much better of late. Our creators yesterday were appalling, missing 3m passes and offering nothing. Actually the best bit of creating came from Rom with a couple of great through balls. But don't let that ruin your picture of yesterday.

This what Ole wants though? Martial and Lukaku were wide forwards with driving runs into the box from Lingard and Pogba. The issue is that what can only play in one way and that's by getting the ball wide and crossing into no-one.
Well yes it's obviously an instruction, but it highlights we either need another striker to live in the box, or we need someone better than we have to occupy the flank instead of wasting Lukaku out there.

Stacks

He’s not a United level forward. I have made no secret about that in the past. I am all for getting rid of him, I was simply speaking in the context of yesterday’s match and assessing it as it played out before me. That doesn’t mean I want to keep him or think he’s good enough for us or anything like that.
Fair enough. I see him as a senior player so expect more of him as he has the history and price tag but I see no leading the line from him as I would like.
That actually hardly happened yesterday, and he has been much better of late. Our creators yesterday were appalling, missing 3m passes and offering nothing. Actually the best bit of creating came from Rom with a couple of great through balls. But don't let that ruin your picture of yesterday.
Personally saw a lot of aimless or inaccurate crosses, one shot in the entire match. Who are these so called creators by the way? Martial is more of a goal scorer and Lingard is a headless chicken.

Cloud7

Fair enough. I see him as a senior player so expect more of him as he has the history and price tag but I see no leading the line from him as I would like.
Being honest, I’ve come to expect little to nothing from him, so anything vaguely positive is something for me. It’s a depressing state of affairs with him, but he has no place at this level.

Kostov

Personally saw a lot of aimless or inaccurate crosses, one shot in the entire match. Who are these so called creators by the way? Martial is more of a goal scorer and Lingard is a headless chicken.
He’s our best crosser as it stands, Martial failed to anticipate one of his crosses yesterday.

Martial, Lingard, Pogba and Mata are supposed to be the creators in that team. Apart from Pogba who was decent all 3 were shit. Martial apart from a scorer is a player able to dribble past a defender at speed which creates opportunities for a start. So yes I think he ranks in creators as well.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Can not believe he wasn't in the starting XI over Lingard or Martial tbh

Devil may care

I've never been a fan and make no mistake he's not good enough if we aim to get back to the top, but it's clear Ole isn't a fan as he's been hooked twice in a row when his strike partner was worse and didn't get picked tonight despite how dreadful Martial was against West Ham. By the time he came on it was irrelevant, Barca were in training ground mode.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
He's been unfairly treated by Ole, he definitely deserves more than what others have delivered
Yep, he earnt his place and has lost it to two horribly under performing players. I think he's gone in the summer.

Irwin99

Surprised he didn't start but I can kinda see why as we wanted more movement. Anyone else thinking he's not in Ole's plans? In a team without a top goalscorer we're not playing the only player who has a consistent history of scoring a decent amount of goals. I'm not criticising Ole, i'm just wondering if he will replace Rom in the summer (Yet ANOTHER position to alter)

haram

Surprised he didn't start but I can kinda see why as we wanted more movement. Anyone else thinking he's not in Ole's plans? In a team without a top goalscorer we're not playing the only player who has a consistent history of scoring a decent amount of goals. I'm not criticising Ole, i'm just wondering if he will replace Rom in the summer (Yet ANOTHER position to alter)
Imagine wanting more movement and then picking Martial.

Negan

Right or wrong, He’s gone in the summer.

I personally would like him to stay as it would save us from buying another striker and we can use that money to buy a CB, a RB, a RW and a CM. Hopefully Koulibaly, Pereira, Sancho and Neves.

Ashley R1+O

He's been unfairly treated by Ole, he definitely deserves more than what others have delivered
I've defended him to the death but I don't think he's really been that unfairly treated. He was clearly out of fitness and out of form by the time Ole came in. I think it is tactically understandable to try and get a proper pressing unit out of Rashford/Martial/Lingard and for this game in particular.

But the service for everyone, the buildup play the whole thing is a shit stained mess. We're essentially just throwing clumps of four players together randomly on any given day and saying "feck I hope they do well" without any cohesive structure at all. There is barely any work rate, chain of command and leadership. The whole thing is just a sodden mess that needs legitimate sorting out, not just throwing out some random star signings and plugging them in. It needs a complete debug and overhaul.

NoPace

I think the likeliest answer is that Ole is thinking some combination or maybe all of the following:

1. Rashford is homegrown, a nailed on star and best as a 9

2. Lukaku isn't going to significantly improve from what he has been for us (12 in 29 this year in the Prem with below average linkup play) can be replaced with a clever 10-15M or so signing, or a loanee or maybe even Greenwood next year

3. Really wants the 50M or so you'd figure we can probably still get for Lukaku to spend on the many, many players we need more.

The Nani

Yep, he earnt his place and has lost it to two horribly under performing players. I think he's gone in the summer.
And we’ll be better for it.

It’s not as if he’s been pulling up trees. Let’s be honest, he’s been a terrible signing. His mentality is awful and he honestly seems to be ballooning by the day.

Get Jovic or Felix in and our attacking and pressing will instantly improve.

el3mel

I don't like him much but wouldn't have hard feeling against him if he pushed for a move in summer. It seems the number of chances allowed for other players aka Rashford and Lingard to play through terrible form are far more than him under Ole which is simply unfair.

Twingatz

I think the likeliest answer is that Ole is thinking some combination or maybe all of the following:

1. Rashford is homegrown, a nailed on star and best as a 9

2. Lukaku isn't going to significantly improve from what he has been for us (12 in 29 this year in the Prem with below average linkup play) can be replaced with a clever 10-15M or so signing, or a loanee or maybe even Greenwood next year

3. Really wants the 50M or so you'd figure we can probably still get for Lukaku to spend on the many, many players we need more.

Problem is a 10-15m signing isn't going to fix our goalscoring problems if we aren't creating anything, with or without Lukaku.

Lukaku in a team that creates chances scores a lot of goals, he may not be good for united or this system but he is far better than he has been showing here and his premier league and Belgium goalscoring record shows that.

Also people saying Jovic is going to fix this is hilarious, he is another poacher.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
And we’ll be better for it.

It’s not as if he’s been pulling up trees. Let’s be honest, he’s been a terrible signing. His mentality is awful and he honestly seems to be ballooning by the day.

Get Jovic or Felix in and our attacking and pressing will instantly improve.
Hopefully we bin Martial as well. I said earlier on in the season that Martial and Lukaku are piss poor pressers and workers, they do not fit what we want to do under Ole.

redshaw

I would've liked him to start last night. Our other forwards have been very poor recently. I think Ole was right to leave Lukaku out when he first came but the form of the others has dipped dramatically recently. I would've put on our most experienced striker who also got two against PSG, he still had a lot to do with those chances, especially the first.

We did look good for 15 mins last night though, we look better as a unit but crumbled pretty quickly after the mistakes at the back.

Will be interesting to see where he goes, it was quite a snub to leave him out. He's a close friend of Pogba, would Madrid dare to bring him in as a backup striker and someone to help Pogba settle in?

Devil81

I don't see him going in the summer, we've got that many players to clear from the club I don't see him being a priority clearance.

What is clear is he's not of the top level of striker required for a club playing at the level we desire.

NoPace

Problem is a 10-15m signing isn't going to fix our goalscoring problems if we aren't creating anything, with or without Lukaku.

Lukaku in a team that creates chances scores a lot of goals, he may not be good for united or this system but he is far better than he has been showing here and his premier league and Belgium goalscoring record shows that.

Also people saying Jovic is going to fix this is hilarious, he is another poacher.
Agreed with all this (I haven't seen much of Jovic but the Barca reports are that he's just a poacher) but I'd go with Sancho (let's say 100M) and risking a 10M or loan striker to backup Rashford, over keeping Lukaku (let's say 55M sell) and signing a 55M RW if I had to choose, and my guess is that's what Ole feels.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Imagine wanting more movement and then picking Martial.
:lol: That gave me a right old chuckle. Sometimes people get so stuck in their criticism of a player that they make nonsensical points to justify it. If I were in Lukaku's shoes I'd feel like I've been spat at, I score a brace against PSG to make a historic comeback and get rewarded with the junk minutes to fit in Martial and Lingard who have stunk up the place for the last month.

In my opinion Rashford and Lukaku have shown themselves to be clearly better options than Martial and Lingard under Ole.

Status
Not open for further replies.