4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammondo

Hasn't proven himself to who exactly genius, to you? He might turn out to be not good enough long term, but he's a pretty good striker and the best we have.
I think to most people. If you ever look at comments from fans of other teams, they think hes terrible and its often a laughing point for them.

Revaulx

Lukaku was poor for a lot of last season and when he’s poor he has an unfortunate habit of doing buffoonish stuff like stepping on the football. Plus his workrate is usually terrible, covering less ground than almost every player in his position. Hence he attracts a lot of criticism and mockery. Bale’s miss last night is literally the subject of newspaper headlines today (unlike Lukaku’s) so don’t know why you bring him up.

I think we might get more out of Lukaku if we played to his strengths and stopped trying to use him as a target man. Like Belgium do. Prolific strikers are very expensive and hard to find, so maybe our best option is holding onto him and hoping he improves. Every now and then he does put in a performance where his link up play looks quality. So maybe he can do that consistently?

The lack of effort is hard to defend though. But defend it you will, no doubt. I’d obviously prefer if that defence didn’t involve taking the piss out of a young player who has yet to kick a ball for us but just showed a lot of promise for his NT.
Excellent post. Using facts rather than emotion is sadly passé these days :(

The bolded bit is interesting. I recall several of these performances being when he was playing on the right of the front three (NOT as a right winger; there’s a difference), but he was never played there for more than one game at a time. I dare say our coaching staff know what they’re doing, but it seems a shame that he wasn’t used there more often.

Kostov

I think to most people. If you ever look at comments from fans of other teams, they think hes terrible and its often a laughing point for them.
Lukaku scored two goals last night, yet that miss was everywhere while I couldn't find a video of the second goal on Twitter. That tells you all you need to know about most people. Lukaku is not a striker of the highest level, but people who think he is terrible or useless I just can't take seriously.

flappyjay

Excellent post. Using facts rather than emotion is sadly passé these days :(

The bolded bit is interesting. I recall several of these performances being when he was playing on the right of the front three (NOT as a right winger; there’s a difference), but he was never played there for more than one game at a time. I dare say our coaching staff know what they’re doing, but it seems a shame that he wasn’t used there more often.
As a right forward basically. He is also probably the best crosser of a ball in the team

flappyjay

Mata Pereira Rashford Martial Pogba Herrera Dalot

All comfortably better at crossing.
You are having a laugh right? You can dislike him all you want but the only other people on that list who are almost as good as him or good as him are Pogba and may Herrera. With Rashford and the others below him

Based Adnan

Lukaku: "I'm a big Serie A fan, I've always wanted to play in Italy. Now with Sarri & CR7 at Juve, Ancelotti at Napoli and Conte – the best manager in the world – at Inter, it'll be an exciting season. I've taken a decision about my future but can't reveal it as I'm still under contract with United"

Subtle... :lol:

Hammondo

Lukaku scored two goals last night, yet that miss was everywhere while I couldn't find a video of the second goal on Twitter. That tells you all you need to know about most people. Lukaku is not a striker of the highest level, but people who think he is terrible or useless I just can't take seriously.
The goals he scores, are goals u expect any pl player to score. On a very rare occasion he scores a difficult goal.

clarkydaz

Lukaku: "I'm a big Serie A fan, I've always wanted to play in Italy. Now with Sarri & CR7 at Juve, Ancelotti at Napoli and Conte – the best manager in the world – at Inter, it'll be an exciting season. I've taken a decision about my future but can't reveal it as I'm still under contract with United"

its almost like his agent didn't publicly come out and say this before our game against Barcelona. Im in shock here...

Moriarty

Aye, subtle as a sledgehammer. If we do sell him to Inter, I hope we get more than we paid for him.

tomaldinho1

Kind of confirms what we were thinking in that Ole has told him he won't be first choice and now he's desperate to get out. It's good it's happening early because we can hopefully drag up any fee for him

el3mel

Enough with flirting with other clubs! Feck off already, you'll hardly be missed.

Walters_19_MuFc

Did he really say this?

He's going on like he'll be missed if he goes. The guys shit, and Serie A is an inferior league.

Bwuk

So why is he scoring much more frequently for his national team than for us?
Plays upfront with Hazard and De Bruyne floating around him.

Compare that to playing with Lingard and Rashford.

Lukaku will always score goals. If we had a better team and could facilitate him he’d be great, but we don’t, and he doesn’t offer enough to this side.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
its almost like his agent didn't publicly come out and say this before our game against Barcelona. Im in shock here...
Still remember a few posters kept arguing it was only his agent talk. I wonder where they're now.

Kostov

Plays upfront with Hazard and De Bruyne floating around him.

Compare that to playing with Lingard and Rashford.

Lukaku will always score goals. If we had a better team and could facilitate him he’d be great, but we don’t, and he doesn’t offer enough to this side.
Yes, the service he gets for Belgium compared to here is night and day. Ultimately he would never be top class and we would need to upgrade which I have no problem with, the thing is we have bigger problems than that for this summer.

tjb

Yes, the service he gets for Belgium compared to here is night and day. Ultimately he would never be top class and we would need to upgrade which I have no problem with, the thing is we have bigger problems than that for this summer.
If he had service he would be scoring more. Seems like utd are looking for more than a poacher

Kostov

If he had service he would be scoring more. Seems like utd are looking for more than a poacher
He's hardly an Inzaghi, but I would have no problem with replacing him with a more well rounded striker with potential for the highest level. Who might that be, I'm not sure.

Aloysius's Back 3

I just hope the fans don't start looking at Inter half way through the season & talk about how Lukaku is on track for 20+ goals.

Lukaku isn't Drogba as the young Jose found out. He isn't a player that gets the best out of the players around him - in fact it's vice versa and the players around Lukaku get the best out of Lukaku /ie a single player.

He will no doubt do well where he goes - but a club with real high ambitions would struggle with Lukaku as the opposition is only required to nullify Lukaku to provide a need of a change in tactics.

Stacks

Yeah I know international level teams are of much lower quality, yet Switzerland, Iceland, Tunisia, Japan, Mexico, Greece are all decent teams. I think the main difference are the creators in Belgium and the ones we have. Lukaku will score goals if provided decent service.
Definitely. And the creating in our team is much much worse compared to what Belgium have to offer.

Plays with the likes of Kevin De Bruyne and Hazard instead of number 10s who excel at running maybe? As posted in another reply, Switzerland, Iceland, Tunisia, Japan, Mexico, Greece are all decent teams.
Decent teams? If you really say so. what level do their defensive players play at? lets investigate. Switzerland (players play mostly in Germany or France for midtable sides) Iceland (play in farmer leagues) Tunisia (defensive players mostly in farmers leagues) Japan (defensive players all in Japan) Mexico (mostly Mejico, a few at moody SPanish clubs) Greece (ARSENAL ROMA + a few moody Greek teams).

yeah I am not convinced this is proof Lukaku is anything special or different for Belgium. I would fully expect him to bully these teams playing for United as well as their quality, in particular in defences is not of any standard to rave about.

Stacks

48 international goals at just 26 is bananas though, no matter how you spin it. Other strikers play or have played those same countries in equally great teams.

Van Persie ended at 50, Henry at 51 and Rooney at 53. Far better players of course, but just to counter the whole "any decent striker could do that".
simply because he has been a 1st team regular for Belgium since he was 16 as he was fully developed as a man at 10. this means he already has 81 caps. also Belgium have never had a decent striker which lead to them throwing him in young. He is 25th in terms of GS ratio for international strikers, below Villa, Berbatov, Drogba and similar ratio to Ronaldo. chances are he will not overtake these players as I imagine he'll peak early and fade. He already looks like the game is taking a physical toll and cannot sprint without getting immediately gassed.

Kostov

Decent teams? If you really say so. what level do their defensive players play at? lets investigate. Switzerland (players play mostly in Germany or France for midtable sides) Iceland (play in farmer leagues) Tunisia (defensive players mostly in farmers leagues) Japan (defensive players all in Japan) Mexico (mostly Mejico, a few at moody SPanish clubs) Greece (ARSENAL ROMA + a few moody Greek teams).

yeah I am not convinced this is proof Lukaku is anything special or different for Belgium. I would fully expect him to bully these teams playing for United as well as their quality, in particular in defences is not of any standard to rave about.
Hold on there Horatio, what kind of investigation are you conducting here? That is one of the most stupid points you could make and laughable as well. Fonte just played at CB at the age of 35 and beat Holland in a final who had VVD and de Ligt at CB, he plays in "farmers' league also.

A defense is more than the sum of its parts, you dismissing a team like Iceland simply because it's Iceland tells you how pointless your comment is. Switzerland has Akanji and Schar, one of them playing for Dortmund who play CL football every year. Japan has a player like Yoshida who is a PL player for years and starting games for Sotton. Greece having an excellent pairing of Sokratis and Manolas at CB. And yeah Mejico you mention, who is an excellent team. You say you expect him to bully this teams for United, well do we then regardless of him? Teams like Cardiff, Huddersfield, Fulham even the likes of Watford have some pretty average players playing at CB.

Stacks

Hold on there Horatio, what kind of investigation are you conducting here? That is one of the most stupid points you could make and laughable as well. Fonte just played at CB at the age of 35 and beat Holland in a final who had VVD and de Ligt at CB, he plays in "farmers' league also.

A defense is more than the sum of its parts, you dismissing a team like Iceland simply because it's Iceland tells you how pointless your comment is. Switzerland has Akanji and Schar, one of them playing for Dortmund who play CL football every year. Japan has a player like Yoshida who is a PL player for years and starting games for Sotton. Greece having an excellent pairing of Sokratis and Manolas at CB. And yeah Mejico you mention, who is an excellent team. You say you expect him to bully this teams for United, well do we then regardless of him? Teams like Cardiff, Huddersfield, Fulham even the likes of Watford have some pretty average players playing at CB.
Fonte is actually a good CB and developed in the challenging EPL. he also plays for the second best team in France. You are right, a defence is more than the some of its parts. I tried to give you a break but here goes; No. of players who play in top 5 coefficient leagues for each of the aforementioned national sides;

Iceland (4 players out of their 25 man squad)
Switzerland (17 players out of 25 man squad) they are decent
Japan (4 players out of 25 man squad) they are clearly world class
Greece (5 players out of 25 man squad)
Mehico (5 players out of 25 man squad) excellent team who cannot even reach the final of the last Gold cup ahead of my beloved Jamaica :lol: and average 10th in the Copa America places
Tunisia (7 players out of 25 man squad)

Now we all know there is great discrepancy between the quality of the leagues from 1-5 but I have included all top 5 leagues for fairness.

Is this fair enough?

Kostov

Fonte is actually a good CB and developed in the challenging EPL. he also plays for the second best team in France. You are right, a defence is more than the some of its parts. I tried to give you a break but here goes; No. of players who play in top 5 coefficient leagues for each of the aforementioned national sides;

Mehico (5 players out of 25 man squad) excellent team who cannot even reach the final of the last Gold cup ahead of my beloved Jamaica :lol: and average 10th in the Copa America places

Now we all know there is great discrepancy between the quality of the leagues from 1-5 but I have included all top 5 leagues for fairness.

Is this fair enough?
How many of the Iceland players played in the top 5 leagues when they beat England and reached the quarterfinals in the Euros 2016?

How many of Greece’s 2004 Euro winning squad were playing in the top 5 leagues out of curiosity?

Point is, where they play means feck all about the quality of a team. I suppose if you take Wales’s team they will have many playing in the PL, and they are about the same level with those teams.

Hughie77

Rumours of late is he's off, if so I won't mind, hes not fitting into oles plans then he should go, and get another more versatile striker in. Lukakus first touch is dreadful I've never seen a ball bounce so far off a striker ever at UTD, is finishing is pretty good but mainly on left foot!

A striker who can hit it with both feet equally would be the must, one of the best I've seen with both feet was Forlan.

Watched him in warm up years ago God he could strike a ball, went from us to be top scorer in laliga.

tomaldinho1

I just hope the fans don't start looking at Inter half way through the season & talk about how Lukaku is on track for 20+ goals.

Lukaku isn't Drogba as the young Jose found out. He isn't a player that gets the best out of the players around him - in fact it's vice versa and the players around Lukaku get the best out of Lukaku /ie a single player.

He will no doubt do well where he goes - but a club with real high ambitions would struggle with Lukaku as the opposition is only required to nullify Lukaku to provide a need of a change in tactics.
This is exactly right, Drogba is a PL great but never was a prolific goalscorer - what he brought to the team was worth much more than that because it allowed a certain tactical setup.

Lukaku will always score goals, he's a decent poacher overall, but he's not at the level the top clubs are looking for and there's a reason that Real, Barca, Juve, City etc have never been sniffing around him. Setup a world class team and he'll finish off enough chances to be a regular 20+ goals a season man but he won't be bringing anything else to the party. I think you could swap him out of our team last season with most PL strikers and they'd end up with a similar goals scored record.

Silas

simply because he has been a 1st team regular for Belgium since he was 16 as he was fully developed as a man at 10. this means he already has 81 caps. also Belgium have never had a decent striker which lead to them throwing him in young. He is 25th in terms of GS ratio for international strikers, below Villa, Berbatov, Drogba and similar ratio to Ronaldo. chances are he will not overtake these players as I imagine he'll peak early and fade. He already looks like the game is taking a physical toll and cannot sprint without getting immediately gassed.
:lol:

Pace Abuser

Rumour has it he's travelling around Europe still chasing his first touch from 3 weeks ago.

Cloud7

Drogba is a good comparison for another point. In all likelihood Lukaku will end his career with more goals than Drogba, but when you look at what they brought to their teams no one could ever say that Lukaku was anywhere near as good a player as Drogba. Goals aren’t the be all and end all, and as you said, a club with high ambitions will struggle with a player like him.

clarkydaz

Drogba is a good comparison for another point. In all likelihood Lukaku will end his career with more goals than Drogba, but when you look at what they brought to their teams no one could ever say that Lukaku was anywhere near as good a player as Drogba. Goals aren’t the be all and end all, and as you said, a club with high ambitions will struggle with a player like him.
Also compare the trophies Drogba won, Lukaku is nowhere to be seen

Stacks

How many of the Iceland players played in the top 5 leagues when they beat England and reached the quarterfinals in the Euros 2016?

How many of Greece’s 2004 Euro winning squad were playing in the top 5 leagues out of curiosity?

Point is, where they play means feck all about the quality of a team. I suppose if you take Wales’s team they will have many playing in the PL, and they are about the same level with those teams.
That England team performed pathetically with Rooney and Wilshere in midfield. they are rightfully lambasted on their return home. Doesn't mean Iceland were good as they then got whooped 5-1 by France. I believe Iceland had 6 top 5 league players at the time.

Greece also had 6 at the time, a few more afterwards and still Greece failed to do anything in any tourney after so had a great underdog win but are not a particularly good team. Negative tactics and set pieces ruled the day. They failed to even qualify for the next tournament which does not suggest they were anything special. I was 17 when they won and they were not that prolific a side at all. kind of minnow like but had a great tournament. It was seen as one of the biggest upsets in football history at the time.

where players play is paramount as to the quality. The higher your quality, the higher the level you play at.

Wales have 5 players who made 1 appearance or more in the EPL last season. Most of their players are championship or youngsters who have yet to make a senior appearance e.g. Woodburn....

Kostov

That England team performed pathetically with Rooney and Wilshere in midfield. they are rightfully lambasted on their return home. Doesn't mean Iceland were good as they then got whooped 5-1 by France. I believe Iceland had 6 top 5 league players at the time.

Greece also had 6 at the time, a few more afterwards and still Greece failed to do anything in any tourney after so had a great underdog win but are not a particularly good team. Negative tactics and set pieces ruled the day. They failed to even qualify for the next tournament which does not suggest they were anything special. I was 17 when they won and they were not that prolific a side at all. kind of minnow like but had a great tournament. It was seen as one of the biggest upsets in football history at the time.

where players play is paramount as to the quality. The higher your quality, the higher the level you play at.

Wales have 5 players who made 1 appearance or more in the EPL last season. Most of their players are championship or youngsters who have yet to make a senior appearance e.g. Woodburn....
My point was the contrary, teams are more than the sum of its parts as I already said. There are lots of good players playing in other leagues and national teams are very tricky and come along in cycles. You disregarding the amount of goals Lukaku scored simply because he didn’t play the likes of Germany and France is laughable.

There are probably 5 teams in the Pl with absolute horrendous defenders that he probably didn’t score this season. It’s not the opposition but what Belgium have behind him compared to us.

Stacks

My point was the contrary, teams are more than the sum of its parts as I already said. There are lots of good players playing in other leagues and national teams are very tricky and come along in cycles. You disregarding the amount of goals Lukaku scored simply because he didn’t play the likes of Germany and France is laughable.

There are probably 5 teams in the Pl with absolute horrendous defenders that he probably didn’t score this season. It’s not the opposition but what Belgium have behind him compared to us.
I am not disregarding his goals. I have just noticed that when his opposition is vastly inferior to the side he plays for he stocks up on goals and hides against bigger challenges or often gets "pocketed"

Kostov

I am not disregarding his goals. I have just noticed that when his opposition is vastly inferior to the side he plays for he stocks up on goals and hides against bigger challenges or often gets "pocketed"
He hardly hides, more the later, he’s pocketed. But against better teams we as a team are often shambolic and he’s not the type of player to produce something for himself.

Stacks

He hardly hides, more the later, he’s pocketed. But against better teams we as a team are often shambolic and he’s not the type of player to produce something for himself.
Its been a pattern for Everton and Belgium too though. world cup he nets 2 goals vs Tunisia and Panama in the groups. He then proceeded to not score again in the entire knock out rounds (business end) of the competition. This is Belgium's GOLDEN ERA and yet they have never even made a final. He also failed to score a single goal in the knock out phases of Euro 2016, netting only vs Ireland, despite being part of the "Golden Generation" of Belgium. I feel this team will fail to make a true mark on the world and Lukaku is part of the problem

He is literally the definition of a flat track bully. 1 goal in 21 for Utd against the top 6 in the PL over the past 2 years.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
From what I've been hearing in the media he's been a model professional and gentleman. Wanting us to find a replacement and get it done nice and early and not try to force us out of respect. It's a shame it hasn't worked out, but oh well, that's football.

From what I've been hearing in the media he's been a model professional and gentleman. Wanting us to find a replacement and get it done nice and early and not try to force us out of respect. It's a shame it hasn't worked out, but oh well, that's football.
Bollocks. A professional is not someone who gets in a physical state where he’s knackered after 15 mins, and can’t run for the rest of the game.

He’s saying some words that have been fed to him by his PR company to ease his transition - that’s not professionalism (it’s not anti-professionalism), but he gets zero credit for it.

Abe144

Supports
CD Guadalajara

Is this fair enough?
Mexico sent a B team for that last Gold Cup as they had just played the Confederations Cup. Why were they at the Confederations Cup? You guessed it for winning the 2015 Gold Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.