Romelu Lukaku | Chelsea

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
That's more or less where I am as well - but I do value his positional flexibility to some extent.

Joao Felix would be the dream for me (especially if we're getting Dembele as seems likely).
I've thought long and hard about Felix, but doesn't he seem like he would occupy exactly the same role as Havertz? He's such a wonderful footballer, how would he and Havertz fit around each other?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I've thought long and hard about Felix, but doesn't he seem like he would occupy exactly the same role as Havertz? He's such a wonderful footballer, how would he and Havertz fit around each other?
Personally I think we've been at our best when our front 3 is more fluid - assuming we have attacking thrust from the wingbacks I would prefer we lean into a more flexible attacking trio personally; Lukaku has demonstrated pretty clearly that having a part of the trio who doesn't fecking move is deleterious. I wouldn't view him and Havertz as being exclusionary but in many ways they could complement each other - it's far more difficult for opposition defenses if they don't know which of the two is going to drop deep, whether both might tuck in or move wide, which one is going to run in behind, etc.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Bloke must be allergic to the prem or something
Bloke must be allergic to work hard. That's sure. Chelsea should have kept broja instead of sending him on loan and spent 100 mn on Lukaku.Dumbest move ever.

I think we will do that this season and strengthening other areas of the pitch and leave striker position as it is. Havertz Werner and broja should be as good as Lukaku havertz and Werner if not better.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Personally I think we've been at our best when our front 3 is more fluid - assuming we have attacking thrust from the wingbacks I would prefer we lean into a more flexible attacking trio personally; Lukaku has demonstrated pretty clearly that having a part of the trio who doesn't fecking move is deleterious. I wouldn't view him and Havertz as being exclusionary but in many ways they could complement each other - it's far more difficult for opposition defenses if they don't know which of the two is going to drop deep, whether both might tuck in or move wide, which one is going to run in behind, etc.
A Werner/Felix swap deal with some extra cash thrown from us in would be great for both players and both teams probably. I agree with you that the interchangeable fluidity of the front 3 was one of our greatest weapons in 2021. We don't need them to be prolific individually but if they fit around each other and can contribute 10-15 goals each, that would have been the next step for the likes Kai, Mount and Werner had we not added Lukaku into the mix. An addition like Jesus or Felix to replace Lukaku would be superb.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Journos are now saying Inter are happy to pay a £15m loan fee, but with no obligation to buy. That's probably the best we can hope to get out of them, and I suppose we have to hope he has a great season with them so we can flog him for around £40m next summer.

Either way, I will celebrate the day the day this man leaves the club for good.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Journos are now saying Inter are happy to pay a £15m loan fee, but with no obligation to buy. That's probably the best we can hope to get out of them, and I suppose we have to hope he has a great season with them so we can flog him for around £40m next summer.

I just wonder if we’d agree to let him go without someone already lined up to replace him. The fact that we’re negotiating with Inter at all should tell us that we must, surely?

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I just wonder if we’d agree to let him go without someone already lined up to replace him. The fact that we’re negotiating with Inter at all should tell us that we must, surely?
Most probably some one like Ivan Toney or jovic.We need to strengthen our defense which is very important in this window.

Lynty

:lol: :lol: you can't help but laugh.

It's the same sense of smugness you feel when you see some other poor bloke struggling to deal with your crazy ex girlfreind.

Vindication.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
:lol: :lol: you can't help but laugh.

It's the same sense of smugness you feel when you see some other poor bloke struggling to deal with your crazy ex girlfreind.

Vindication.
We already had that feeling and still went in for round 2.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
A Werner/Felix swap deal with some extra cash thrown from us in would be great for both players and both teams probably. I agree with you that the interchangeable fluidity of the front 3 was one of our greatest weapons in 2021. We don't need them to be prolific individually but if they fit around each other and can contribute 10-15 goals each, that would have been the next step for the likes Kai, Mount and Werner had we not added Lukaku into the mix. An addition like Jesus or Felix to replace Lukaku would be superb.
Yeah agreed. Werner could be a demon at Atleti playing on the break in front of that low block.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal

I'm pretty sure the list of age 30+ players to have ever sold for £40m is....Cristiano Ronaldo. I doubt Lukaku is the next name on that list, especially since there is no way he is coming back to the PL again.

I've seen them linked to strikers but if Chelsea do sign Dembele, that feels like a lot of players for three positions already:

Dembele
Havertz
Werner
Pulisic
Mount
Ziyech
CHO
Broja?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I'm pretty sure the list of age 30+ players to have ever sold for £40m is....Cristiano Ronaldo. I doubt Lukaku is the next name on that list, especially since there is no way he is coming back to the PL again.
£30m then. Whatever really, as long we get some kind of respectable fee in return, I'm good. If we get the £15m loan fee as rumoured and flog him for £30-35m next year that's £45-50m we've recouped plus a sesson of (granted, subpar) production on the pitch.

El Jefe

Yeah agreed. Werner could be a demon at Atleti playing on the break in front of that low block.
There is nothing demonic about a player being the worst finisher at the top level. Or maybe there is :D

The only team that benefits from that would be Chelsea. I would think Atleti would prefer a straight transfer rather than adding Werner as an unsweetener.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

I've seen them linked to strikers but if Chelsea do sign Dembele, that feels like a lot of players for three positions already:

Dembele
Havertz
Werner
Pulisic
Mount
Ziyech
CHO
Broja?
Some will have to go. The players that have been rumoured to leave have been Werner, Pulisic and Ziyech. I'd personally keep Pulisic and move the other two on.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
There is nothing demonic about a player being the worst finisher at the top level. Or maybe there is :D

The only team that benefits from that would be Chelsea. I would think Atleti would prefer a straight transfer rather than adding Werner as an unsweetener.
Hah fair point - but his form for Germany suggests he isn't as hopeless as it might seem. Also to be fair Atleti have previous for buying poor Chelsea strikers!

I just think he is a mediocre finisher who needs space to be effective - at Chelsea in a possession-dominant side he doesn't really get that. In an Atleti who launch balls into space more often than just about any top side I think he would be a much better fit.

Pintu

Recent expensive transfers over 30 years old I can think of:
Ronaldo, Bonucci, Paulinho (bought from China by Barcelona)… Less recent was Batistuta. (31 year-old).

But since Lukaku just turned 29, you could include Diego Costa (and Zidane, who was sold at 29 and remained the most expensive player for 10 years.)

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Some will have to go. The players that have been rumoured to leave have been Werner, Pulisic and Ziyech. I'd personally keep Pulisic and move the other two on.
I think id probably keep Werner of the 3 tbh. Werner you can rest assured wherever he goes next, will probably bag goals. Much harder working than the other 2 aswell IMO. Has a bit more to his game

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea

Dembele
Havertz
Werner
Pulisic
Mount
Ziyech
CHO
Broja?
Not sure Dembele will happen tbh, if Barca get this cash injection theyll offer him a deal to suit him. Starting to look like Kounde is also going there.

Of your list there, Ziyech id sell for the money we paid, Pulisic anything over 40, CHO the same [25m+] just hasnt kicked on, i personally think he is decent, but i dont see the big fuss tbh. As far as i am concerned he should have been sold soon as Bayern stuck 45m down.

Broja keep, although hes another i think we'd sell for 15m+

Havertz Mount, no brainer - keep. And although i do think Werner perhaps needs to move on, there is something to his all round game i think is valuable, so id keep him aswell if i absolutely had to.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Recent expensive transfers over 30 years old I can think of:
Ronaldo, Bonucci, Paulinho (bought from China by Barcelona)… Less recent was Batistuta. (31 year-old).

But since Lukaku just turned 29, you could include Diego Costa (and Zidane, who was sold at 29 and remained the most expensive player for 10 years.)
We're talking about transferring Lukaku next summer when he is 30.

I think that list is kind of telling, Ronaldo the only one more expensive than 40m and only a few other expensive transfers that were mainly at a time when the game was flush with cash and there were a bunch of stupid buyers throwing money around like crazy (clubs in China but also Italian clubs paying big for the likes of Paulinho and also Nainggolan, who is another one). Its a different era right now financially.

I think the only club that would conceivably spend a lot of money on a 30-year-old Lukaku is Atletico. He is now poison in the PL, no Italian clubs have any money except Juventus and they just bought Vlahovic, Bayern is too smart, he doesn't fit PSG's other attackers and Campos wouldn't go for it, not flashy enough for Barcelona or Real Madrid.

ti vu

Soon

As suggestion somewhere I forgot, Chelsea should insert penalty clause for every badge kissing Lukaku does on loan back at Inter. They may get some good money back. Badge kissing merchant.

Lee565

Basically another pogba, yoyoing between two clubs, leaking stories of wanting to play for another side whilst at his current club, fragile ego that needs to constantly feel special by his club, struggling to perform consistently for a top side in the premier league, more suited to serie A and international football pace, lacks workrate, expensive premier league flop.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Basically another pogba, yoyoing between two clubs, leaking stories of wanting to play for another side whilst at his current club, fragile ego that needs to constantly feel special by his club, struggling to perform consistently for a top side in the premier league, more suited to serie A and international football pace, lacks workrate, expensive premier league flop.
Is it fair? Pogba played for two clubs since the age 16. He hasn't spent less than 4 years in them. Lukaku has played for 6 clubs, he also actively and publicly pushed for transfers out of Chelsea(twice), Everton, United and Inter.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
He has scored more penalties in Serie A, that's why he has more goals there.

His non-penalty goals at Inter are the same as in United, he has scored way more non-penalty goals at Everton.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

That'll be him done in the PL now, proved he can't hack it

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
There goes the 2nd and 4th most expensive PL player of all time.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Sell for 100 million, sign the same player after a year for 10% for a year long loan. Great business by Inter.

Lukaku will be 30 by the time his loan ends, usually a number where fee drops quickly.

cyberman

Not really a loss since it’s Romans money is the way I would be looking at it

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Sell for 100 million, sign the same player after a year for 10% for a year long loan. Great business by Inter.

Lukaku will be 30 by the time his loan ends, usually a number where fee drops quickly.
If he has a good season and a club like Atletico Madrid or PSG want pay £40m for him, that would probably be the best case scenario. Inter clearly can't afford him.