Romelu Lukaku | Chelsea

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Laughable money for Lukaku.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
He's a different player to how he was at United learned a lot under Conte, will be interesting season, he should be getting them quite a few points on his own.

ThinkTank@Cafe

We thought we got a target man, but he turned out to be a poacher. Did Conte teach him to play a proper target man role? Didn’t follow Inter.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
We thought we got a target man, but he turned out to be a poacher. Did Conte teach him to play a proper target man role? Didn’t follow Inter.
In all honesty, I have barely watched Inter outside the big games, but speaking to Inter fans Conte made a point of working on Lukaku's hold up play.

I came across this post on a Inter blog. It was a response to a Chelsea fan asking how he saw Lukaku fitting in at Tuchel's Chelsea. Some of it may be hyperbole, I don't know but either way, it sounds promising to me.

Unfortunately for us, Lukaku would be an absolutely phenomenal fit for Tuchel's Chelsea.

As you mentioned, "Big Rom" slimmed down because when he arrived at Inter, the first thing that Conte had him do was meet with nutrition experts... they even did a "fecal analysis" to study how his body specifically digests different foods, and then radically overhauled his diet with foods that digest more quickly so that he would feel "less bloated" (in his own words) on the pitch.

The other massive change since he arrived was that Conte drilled him relentlessly on hold-up play... as a result, his first touch has significantly improved, and he's become the #1 very BEST striker in the world with his back to goal, and just generally on the counterattack for that matter.

Lukaku has always been a phenomenal finisher, and he also pressed reasonably well in Conte's tactical system (although Lautaro was the more aggressive of the two in that regard, but Lukaku still did his fair share as well).

Also, assuming that Tuchel persists with the 3-4-2-1 formation, Lukaku has PLENTY of experience absolutely thriving in that system for several years with Belgium -- he became the country's all time top scorer in that formation

Oranges038

So Inter still owe Utd about 40 or 50m for him, plus a 5% sell on fee on any profit?

Would be a nice lump sum to get to throw at a midfielder.

GoldanoGraham

He’s definitely looking like he is in better condition than when he left Utd - but we need to give him half a season to see how good he really is in a much more difficult league - many goal highlights I saw last season he was clear of the last defender and slotted - I just can’t see him getting that space in the EPL - also, the pace of the game in the EPL is sooo much quicker than Serie A that he will need to adjust - it’s not like he hasn’t had a good crack at the EPL before - he is going into an already really good team and expectations are high - as we saw at Utd - when the pressure is on he buckled…..not convinced he is going to be value for money……he will score lots of goals but will he score the big goals in the big games….

SinNombre

A lot of the above is hyperbole.

Serie A is an incredibly poor league right now and all of Lukaku’s failings were clearly evident in two years of Inter flopping in Europe.

SinNombre

I'm not concerned with Lukaku, I'm concerned with Tuchel.
Tuchel will have a fight with Abra and get sacked in the next 2 years.

Not a signing that should make them compete with City for the league.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Average player. Will get 15 in the league and 20/25 overall which again is nowhere near enough to justify carrying his shocking build up play. Pretty much solidifies Chelsea out of the title race too as there’s no way he scores against the top 6!

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Average player. Will get 15 in the league and 20/25 overall which again is nowhere near enough to justify carrying his shocking build up play. Pretty much solidifies Chelsea out of the title race too as there’s no way he scores against the top 6!
Bookmarked :D

TrustInJanuzaj

I'm very happy with this.

I will be very shocked if Chelsea win the title with players like Lukaku and Werner.

I could be wrong but it's just not something I see or fear of.
And yet you listen to some on here and they have a ‘brilliant side’. Strongly believe this Utd team is far better.

TrustInJanuzaj

In all honesty, I have barely watched Inter outside the big games, but speaking to Inter fans Conte made a point of working on Lukaku's hold up play.

I came across this post on a Inter blog. It was a response to a Chelsea fan asking how he saw Lukaku fitting in at Tuchel's Chelsea. Some of it may be hyperbole, I don't know but either way, it sounds promising to me.
:lol: No 1 in the world with is back to goal. Don’t crack me up!

ThinkTank@Cafe

We will see. Doubt he can compete with Kane for numero uno hold up striker in the world. Given timing and amount paid, I can’t help suspecting a panic buy.

Don‘t understand United fans raising hands and surrendering to Chelsea because they bought Lukaku.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
:lol: No 1 in the world with is back to goal. Don’t crack me up!
No idea whether that post was totally hyperbolic or just embellishing some details or actually spot on. Probably somewhere in between. A lot of Inter fans seem totally devastated to lose him.

I don't think many outside of United forums view him as this clownish walking meme.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I remember being similarly bullish when we signed him from Everton. He's a good striker, but that's it.
I've had to talk myself into liking the signing to be fair, but I'm also very aware that my perception of him could be massively skewed by the fact that this forum is only football forum I frequent and he's ridiculed almost daily here. He doesn't seem to get derided in the same manner by other fanbases

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
We will see. Doubt he can compete with Kane for numero uno hold up striker in the world. Given timing and amount paid, I can’t help suspecting a panic buy.

Don‘t understand United fans raising hands and surrendering to Chelsea because they bought Lukaku.
He's not better than Kane, but thankfully he doesn't need to be to help us compete for the title. He just needs to bring his Inter form here.

In the prediction thread, I predicted United to win the title so it seems like I rate your team higher than most of your own fans :D

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I've had to talk myself into liking the signing to be fair, but I'm also very aware that my perception of him could be massively skewed by the fact that this forum is only football forum I frequent and he's ridiculed almost daily here. He doesn't seem to get derided in the same manner by other fanbases
If you can keep him confident he'll be your flat track bully, and score in bunches to win you games against teams in the bottom half of the table. Always great to have a player like that, providing you're not gunna rely on him to get you the goals in big games too (like we did). If you are, you'll be disappointed (like we were).

Also, I'm no arm chair psychiatrist, but he seems to be incredibly mentally fragile. Even things like calling out FIFA for his pace rating etc.

No idea whether that post was totally hyperbolic or just embellishing some details or actually spot on. Probably somewhere in between. A lot of Inter fans seem totally devastated to lose him.

I don't think many outside of United forums view him as this clownish walking meme.
I don't know about that. As soon as 100m+ was being talked about all the Inter fans I know were happy to see the back of him. You can buy a lot of good players for that.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If you can keep him confident he'll be your flat track bully, and score in bunches to win you games against teams in the bottom half of the table. Always great to have a player like that, providing you're not gunna rely on him to get you the goals in big games too (like we did). If you are, you'll be disappointed (like we were).

Also, I'm no arm chair psychiatrist, but he seems to be incredibly mentally fragile. Even things like calling out FIFA for his pace rating etc.
The money involved almost dictates that he'll get the full trust from Tuchel. He'll have to do his part, of course and I'm growing increasingly confident that this is a good match for us.

He's coming back with a point to prove at Chelsea first and foremost, but also in this league in general, so my hope is he uses that chip on his shoulder to hit the ground running.

Schnappo

Shows how few top class strikers there are nowadays and how desperate teams are for 15-20 goals a season players. 115m euros for Lukaku, good lord.
He has had 1 season out of the last 6 where he has scored under 25 goals. The guy virtually guarantees you a minimum of 25 goals each year.

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I don't know about that. As soon as 100m+ was being talked about all the Inter fans I know were happy to see the back of him. You can buy a lot of good players for that.
I don't know any Inter fans apart one Italian bloke I work with, so I only know what I've read on their forums. It could be that they're more upset about the direction the club is going in than losing Lukaku specifically, but either way, a lot of them seem very upset

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea

We sign a flat track bully as you said. That's enough for us. We have havertz to rely on big games like champions league final. Chelsea has a system to win big games but needed the goalscorer to win easy games. We got one now.

Redlyn

He's always been a good player scoring goals where ever he has gone. In his last 3 moves alone he has commanded almost 250m in transfer fees.

BarstoolProphet

He will either score a hattrick or an own goal against us, depending of the mood the gods are in.

NRg

It's a weird deal. If the rumours are true, Atalanta is about to buy Tammy Abraham for around €40M, so if this works out, Chelsea will have Lukaku for about €75M which doesn't seem that shocking. The problem is, throughout his career Lukaku seemed like he's not really a good fit for the biggest stage (his time with us and Belgium when they get to the elimination stages)

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
There were even protests against selling Lukaku by inter fans for any price. Those protested were ST holders.Some reports suggested Inter owner tried to veto the sale due to fans' backlash but financial conditions forced inter to agree the deal with chelsea.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Irrespective of his outputs, nailed on for a couple of goals against us next season followed by a “shush” hand movement and a kissing of the badge :nervous:

mu4c_20le

There were even protests against selling Lukaku by inter fans for any price. Those protested were ST holders.Some reports suggested Inter owner tried to veto the sale due to fans' backlash but financial conditions forced inter to agree the deal with chelsea.
I heard it slightly differently, that their owner Steven Zhang went against Marotta and Inzaghi's wishes and accepted the bid.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
They won't be investing all the Lukaku money back into transfers. They're fecked financially. They owe Man United about 50 million for a start!

I don't know any Inter fans apart one Italian bloke I work with, so I only know what I've read on their forums. It could be that they're more upset about the direction the club is going in than losing Lukaku specifically, but either way, a lot of them seem very upset
I live in Milan. Their fans have realised he's a flat track bully so are not too bothered he is going. Theyre happy with his scoring but his performances in some of their big games ruined his reputation and they realise he's replaceable. Like you say, the general direction the owners are taking the club in is the reason most are angry.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I heard it slightly differently, that their owner Steven Zhang went against Marotta and Inzaghi's wishes and accepted the bid.
Yes he accepted the bid but after fans' backlash he had meeting with board members and financial advisors.

Initial thought was he try to stop the deal but board members and financial advisors convinced him to agree the deal though against marotta and inzaghi wishes.

R'hllor

Dont think anyone questioned his goal scoring side just you couldnt play football with him, a tree has a better first touch. Not to mention the whole you are grown ass man deal with it when he couldnt deal with shit. His first season at Chelsea might be the strongest, could lead them to PL title.

Also congratz to The Shed End on signing Haram on a free.