Romelu Lukaku | Chelsea

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Mbappe and Haaland need to get out of their leagues and mature more before comparing them to Lukaku. As it stands this very moment, Lukaku is ahead of both Haaland and Mbappe
So far Lukaku had one world-class season in the league that isn't better than Bundesliga. Haaland's and Mbappé's records in CL trumps anything that Lukaku did in Europe by far. Don't get me wrong, Lukaku seems to have retained the same form and looks well set to have another world-class season... but so are Haaland and Mbappé.

Matured Lukaku - 13 goals in 27 CL games. Immature Haaland - 20 goals in 16 CL games. Immature Mbappé - 27 goals in 45 CL games.

The only thing that Lukaku can realistically have going for him is his record for Belgium. But then Mbappé had already won a World Cup being his team's arguably best & most influential player and Haaland tears it up for a way, way worse team than Belgium with 12 goals in 15 international games (although here I should specify that most of his goals came against minions... but then most of Lukaku's did as well).

EtH

Not sure if he’s top 5 ‘strikers’ in the League? That is absolute garbage.

Not including players like Salah (who isn’t a striker) who are 5 strikers better?
Well considering Lukaku is hardly good at most things you expect from a center forward I don’t see the logic in excluding Salah or even Bruno for that matter. It’s about goal scoring and nothing else with him after all.

So with that in mind he is comfortably behind Ronaldo, Kane, Salah, Vardy and Bruno. I think it could be argued that Son is better as well. Not top 5 in the league either way though.

DCL at the very least is in the conversation as well. And there are a few out of form / injured players such as Mane, Rashford and Sterling who would probably be clear if they get back to their best.

Just some perspective.

Eddy_JukeZ

Neymar is not a striker, Mbappe and Haaland need to get out of their leagues and mature more before comparing them to Lukaku. As it stands this very moment, Lukaku is ahead of both Haaland and Mbappe. Nothing to do with the future potential because an injury can ruin a career, talking about this very moment, and Lukaku is ahead of both.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Haaland and Mbappe are levels above Lukaku. Chelsea would instantly swap Lukaku for either if they could.

dinostar77

So far Lukaku had one world-class season in the league that isn't better than Bundesliga. Haaland's and Mbappé's records in CL trumps anything that Lukaku did in Europe by far. Don't get me wrong, Lukaku seems to have retained the same form and looks well set to have another world-class season... but so are Haaland and Mbappé.

Matured Lukaku - 13 goals in 27 CL games. Immature Haaland - 20 goals in 16 CL games. Immature Mbappé - 27 goals in 45 CL games.

The only thing that Lukaku can realistically have going for him is his record for Belgium. But then Mbappé had already won a World Cup being his team's arguably best & most influential player and Haaland tears it up for a way, way worse team than Belgium with 12 goals in 15 international games (although here I should specify that most of his goals came against minions... but then most of Lukaku's did as well).
:lol:

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Yeah, Lukaku better than Mbappé or Haaland...come on guys, stop the trolling! He's clearly a great striker and might even deliver world class seasons, but he's nowhere near Mbappé or Haaland who are outstanding players and future ballon d'or contenders.

alexthelion

Neymar is not a striker, Mbappe and Haaland need to get out of their leagues and mature more before comparing them to Lukaku. As it stands this very moment, Lukaku is ahead of both Haaland and Mbappe. Nothing to do with the future potential because an injury can ruin a career, talking about this very moment, and Lukaku is ahead of both.
Comedy gold :lol:

Bleu

Supports
New England Revolution
All I learn everytime I open this thread is that Bleu is a really weird poster.
Sure. Anyways, my point still stands. In current form Lukaku is one of the worlds best strikers ahead of Mbappe and Haaland. Its not outrageous, he is banging them in the Premier League. So, for who I would take in my team at this very moment, future prospects not included because I am speaking of the present and only the present, it would be Lukaku over the both of them.

Halftrack

Sure. Anyways, my point still stands. In current form Lukaku is one of the worlds best strikers ahead of Mbappe and Haaland. Its not outrageous, he is banging them in the Premier League. So, for who I would take in my team at this very moment, future prospects not included because I am speaking of the present and only the present, it would be Lukaku over the both of them.
It is outrageous, their respective European records tell you as much. Haaland and Mbappe show up in big games and small, Lukaku has a history of only really showing up in the small ones. Both the younger players are also better all-rounders.

e: In the Best Strikers thread, you rate Lewa top (while not even including Haaland), despite him having spent the majority of his career, and made his name, in the BL. The very same BL that you're using as a reason for why Haaland can't be better than Lukaku. By your logic, then, Lukaku is better than Lewandowski. Or is it the latter's record in big games and the CL that place him above the former? Because if it is, then (owing to their previously mentioned much better records in big games and the CL) Haaland and Mbappe should both be above Lukaku too.

Last edited:

Chief123

You are becoming the prime example of delusional dude.

Even on your very narrow minded assessment of just this season alone, Lukaku has scored 3 goals mate. Haaland has scored 8.

Flexdegea

Has to be a wind up?

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
Well considering Lukaku is hardly good at most things you expect from a center forward I don’t see the logic in excluding Salah or even Bruno for that matter. It’s about goal scoring and nothing else with him after all.

So with that in mind he is comfortably behind Ronaldo, Kane, Salah, Vardy and Bruno. I think it could be argued that Son is better as well. Not top 5 in the league either way though.

DCL at the very least is in the conversation as well. And there are a few out of form / injured players such as Mane, Rashford and Sterling who would probably be clear if they get back to their best.

Just some perspective.
The point here is that we’re talking about number 9’s, strikers so including Salah is moving the goal post, yet alone Bruno. That’s like calling Frank Lampard one of the best strikers.

You’re being beyond bias against Lukaku tbh. Calvert Lewin a better striker? FFS you can make an argument that some of the players on that list are better “footballers” which is worth at least a reasonable discussion . However, labeling them as better “strikers” is nonsense and I’m not sure many people would agree with you at all.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I don’t think your current point does stand though. I don’t see any way he can be considered better than Haaland or Mbappe, they both hit 40 odd goal contributions and are regulars at scoring in the CL which sort of proves they’re not just racking up good numbers in a weak league. I don’t even think there’s much between Serie A and the Bundesliga anyway.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
For the record..as good as Lukaku is, he is not better than Haaland or Mbappe. However, in terms of purely goal scoring they’re all in the same realm.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I am happy that we have Lukaku, but skills and results, I do not think he is better than Haaland or Mbappe. I think he is what we needed in a 9 and he is delivering, so very happy with the start of the season.

Bleu

Supports
New England Revolution
I don’t think your current point does stand though. I don’t see any way he can be considered better than Haaland or Mbappe, they both hit 40 odd goal contributions and are regulars at scoring in the CL which sort of proves they’re not just racking up good numbers in a weak league. I don’t even think there’s much between Serie A and the Bundesliga anyway. What I find hilarious is that people call Lukaku a donkey for his now much improved first touch, while every game I watch Haaland his touch is made of bricks. Can’t win against the biased sheep mentality :angel:
Mbappe is not a number 9 which the conversation has been about. In that striker position, Lukaku is ahead of Mbappe. In Bundesliga you have open fields in defense to score against, please. Serie A is tougher to score against. Irrespective, my point is that Lukaku as a front leading striker is ahead and Top 5 in that position.
The guy is weird as feck.

Anyway:

Haaland - 20 goals in 16 CL apps
Mbappe - 27 goals in 45 CL apps
Lukaku - 13 goals in 27 CL apps
Hey again my Super Fan. Hows it been going stalking me? Sending much love back at you xox

Wing Attack Plan R

One thing that is annoying me in this chat is that Lukaku is anywhere near Drogba.

Drogba was a world class striker thar would have days against world class defences where he was unplayable and stood up in big moments. The same has arguably never been said about Lukaku.

Just because they’re both black players with African heritage and play for Chelsea, does not mean they are remotely the same. It is frankly insulting to Drogba to be deemed in similar stature. The bloke was sublime and while I hated him at the time, I would have loved to have seen him play for United. Up there with Eto’o as one of the all time great big game players.
Agreed 100%. Peak Drogba was an absolute monster. Lukaku at his finest is not worthy of cleaning Drogba's boots.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
To be fair to Lukaku, he's also unplayable at his best (which United fans should remember from SAFs final game. The difference is that Lukaku's best moments rarely come in the big games, at least so far. Then again Drog was 26 when he moved to Chelsea and it was another couple of years before he actually came good, so we'll have to see how things play out with Lukaku.

Wing Attack Plan R

Mbappe is not a number 9 which the conversation has been about. In that striker position, Lukaku is ahead of Mbappe. In Bundesliga you have open fields in defense to score against, please. Serie A is tougher to score against. Irrespective, my point is that Lukaku as a front leading striker is ahead and Top 5 in that position.

Hey again my Super Fan. Hows it been going stalking me? Sending much love back at you xox
Your posts make me pine for the day when newbies were confined to the newbie forum.

dinostar77

Agreed mbappe isnt a no9 so a comparison doesn't work as they play different positions on the pitch. Lukaku is a top top striker, unfortunately there is alot of bias against him on here. For some reason folk on here think he wasnt good enough to play for us and we are somehow the number 1 destination for any super young striker. Laugable.

EtH

The point here is that we’re talking about number 9’s, strikers so including Salah is moving the goal post, yet alone Bruno. That’s like calling Frank Lampard one of the best strikers.

You’re being beyond bias against Lukaku tbh. Calvert Lewin a better striker? FFS you can make an argument that some of the players on that list are better “footballers” which is worth at least a reasonable discussion . However, labeling them as better “strikers” is nonsense and I’m not sure many people would agree with you at all.
Not biased at all. My point was that he is pretty poor at most things you expect from a center forward. So why not just compare him to any and all goalscoring forwards. And yes, every player I listed has more to their game than Lukaku. So if the goalscoring numbers are similar it’s hard not give the edge to the more rounded player.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Not biased at all. My point was that he is pretty poor at most things you expect from a center forward. So why not just compare him to any and all goalscoring forwards. And yes, every player I listed has more to their game than Lukaku. So if the goalscoring numbers are similar it’s hard not give the edge to the more rounded player.
He is a number 9. There are times that Mbappe plays as a number 9 so the comparison is fair. It sounds like you just have an axe to grind if you are going to start using players that do not play his position. So far this year in the PL it is Ronaldo and Lukaku that are stand out number 9s. Maybe Kane will regain his form. Cavani would be there too, but he isn't playing yet.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
But that’s just it you’re wrong. He’s not bad at most things you expect from a goal scorer. He has improved play with his back to goal and can now occupy the CB’s faced up or on the half turn. He’s a great header of the ball and his touch has improved tremendously to the point where he can hold up the ball when played into him. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, he has tremendous goal poacher instincts.

Also let’s keep the distinction between “strikers” and “forwards” because the role and functions of the positions and how the team subsequently plays is different between a pure 9 and an inside forward, even one with a great goal scoring record.

So who are these #9’s in the league better than Lukaku?

EtH

But that’s just it you’re wrong. He’s not bad at most things you expect from a goal scorer. He has improved play with his back to goal and can now occupy the CB’s faced up or on the half turn. He’s a great header of the ball and his touch has improved tremendously to the point where he can hold up the ball when played into him. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, he has tremendous goal poacher instincts.

Also let’s keep the distinction between “strikers” and “forwards” because the role and functions of the positions and how the team subsequently plays is different between a pure 9 and an inside forward, even one with a great goal scoring record.

So who are these #9’s in the league better than Lukaku?
That first paragraph is pure drivel. You make it sound as if Lukaku has suddenly morphed into prime Drogba. But at least you didn’t actually say it as some in this thread have.

It’s mad how overrated he has become after one good year in Serie A which is a shadow of the league it used to be.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
That first paragraph is pure drivel. You make it sound as if Lukaku has suddenly morphed into prime Drogba. But at least you didn’t actually say it as some in this thread have.

It’s mad how overrated he has become after one good year in Serie A which is a shadow of the league it used to be.
What are you on about? He’s no Drogba, Ibra or even Totti because they were probably the best in the last 20 years at that. But he’s still improved at this things to the point where they’re not obvious weaknesses in his game. Are you also saying that he doesn’t have good goal scoring instincts?

It’s crazy that a majority of football watchers, the same people that watched Lukaku at United and then later at Inter all say that Lukaku has tremendously improved. Yet a lot of people here that most likely haven’t watched up to 3 or 4 matches he’s played in the last 3 years are steadfast in the belief that he is a useless player compared to the other great strikers in the world right now.

EtH

What are you on about? He’s no Drogba, Ibra or even Totti because they were probably the best in the last 20 years at that. But he’s still improved at this things to the point where they’re not obvious weaknesses in his game. Are you also saying that he doesn’t have good goal scoring instincts?

It’s crazy that a majority of football watchers, the same people that watched Lukaku at United and then later at Inter all say that Lukaku has tremendously improved. Yet a lot of people here that most likely haven’t watched up to 3 or 4 matches he’s played in the last 3 years are steadfast in the belief that he is a useless player compared to the other great strikers in the world right now.
The problem is that it’s seemingly all hyperbole all the time with Lukaku. There are those like you who claim he suddenly figured out every weakness in his game in one season under Conte at the tender age of 28. And then there are certainly many who just have an axe to grind with him claiming he is a total donkey.

I had a real problem with his lack of professionalism at United, but I don’t feel the need to slate him. The truth is he is a good player. Nothing more, nothing less. He is extremely limited technically but scores goals. And the latter means he will improve Chelsea this season without doubt.

But it’s for that very reason I cannot understand why fans like you feel the need to make ridiculous claims like he is now a great header of the ball. He is not and never has been. His touch is inconsistent at best and his holdup play is generally poor. And he is ineffectual when facing up defenders.

But again he scores goals. So obviously he isn’t shit. But he is at least a level below the best center forwards in the Prem and abroad. It’s farcical to claim otherwise.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Just some perspective.
I like how you post so much rubbish and then call it perspective.

Never really liked Lukaku and was happy with us selling but he is among the top 10 CFs in the game right now as he's gone up a level or two under Conte. I do still want to see if he does as well in the PL/CL this year before putting him right among the elite as I still think his technical game will hold him back.

But regardless, he is a CF who plays at the CF position, and is good at many other things such as running in the behind/down the channels, cutting in from wide areas, and is much improved ij the air /as a target man (although he isn't really a target man type striker). To claim that he should be compared to wide men is weird. To also put the likes of Vardy and DCL in the same conversion as him right is really strange.

EtH

I like how you post so much rubbish and then call it perspective.

Never really liked Lukaku and was happy with us selling but he is among the top 10 CFs in the game right now as he's gone up a level or two under Conte. I do still want to see if he does as well in the PL/CL this year before putting him right among the elite as I still think his technical game will hold him back.

But regardless, he is a CF who plays at the CF position, and is good at many other things such as running in the behind/down the channels, cutting in from wide areas, and is much improved ij the air /as a target man (although he isn't really a target man type striker). To claim that he should be compared to wide men is weird. To also put the likes of Vardy and DCL in the same conversion as him right is really strange.
I like how you say I talk rubbish and then agree with me in so many ways.

You say his strength is running the channels and cutting in from wide areas which is of course true and not so different from some of the players I mentioned who are not center forwards. He has been played wide in his career to good effect after all.

Also in agreement that his technical deficiencies will let him down at times this season. I just don’t see the skill set needed at the CF position to do the business at the top level. And I’ve felt that way a long time as you have. Thus my comparing him to DCL and Vardy who are better in their overall play at CF.

Lukaku will score goals this season. No doubt about it. He is obviously fitter which is the biggest difference from his last season here for me. But I would be shocked to see him scoring headers and holding up the ball efficiently in the PL. I just don’t think players improve technically so late in their careers. It’s pretty much unheard of.

Bob Rivers

Supports
Chelsea
I'll rephrase it for you, since you seem confused: I wish newbies were allowed to only post in the newbies forum so we wouldn't have to read shit like that. Better?
'Shit like that'? As opposed to what, your stream of inexhaustible footballing wisdom? And who's "we"?

You're the one confused. You seem to be under the impression that your opinion somehow carries more value than the views of others you deem unworthy.

This is an internet forum. If you don't like what you read just ignore it and move on, or reply to address the content of the post. Instead you choose to act arrogant towards the poster and his newbie status as if it has anything to do with a discussion about football.

Bleu

Supports
New England Revolution
I'll rephrase it for you, since you seem confused: I wish newbies were allowed to only post in the newbies forum so we wouldn't have to read shit like that. Better?
Oh, newbies should have no opinion different then mine because I am correct no matter what. Pathetic, trying to having an elitist mentality on a football forum. You are adding nothing to this conversation except abuse, arrogance and toxicity. Who made this guy a full member? :lol:

Last edited:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Oh, newbies should have no opinion different then mine because I am correct no matter what. Pathetic, trying to having an elitist mentality on a football forum. You are adding nothing to this conversation except abuse, arrogance and toxicity. Who made this guy a full member? :lol:
You do talk an awful lot about Chelsea, Chelsea players and ex Chelsea players and barely any posts about United. Very odd.

Bleu

Supports
New England Revolution
You do talk an awful lot about Chelsea, Chelsea players and ex Chelsea players and barely any posts about United. Very odd.
Weve been down this road before, lets see if youre going to pull an @Alex99. Scroll up through the pages because I'm not wasting another post on this crap, literally will ignore you because this convo has already been had. Go do the research :lol: