Romelu Lukaku | Chelsea

Stacks

To be fair to Lukaku, he's also unplayable at his best (which United fans should remember from SAFs final game. The difference is that Lukaku's best moments rarely come in the big games, at least so far. Then again Drog was 26 when he moved to Chelsea and it was another couple of years before he actually came good, so we'll have to see how things play out with Lukaku.
I've rarely felt Lukaku was unplayable. Even to the extent that if I played FB I wouldn't mind marking him. It is perhaps unfair but my lingering concerns were raised when we played Everton in the semis of the FA cup and he got pocketed by 5'10 Dailly Blind. Maybe I need to get over this.
Also we don't have to wait for anything. Drogba developed in France so had to adjust and step up. Lukaku developed in the Premier league from the age of 17. If he hasn't developed already in 10 years it ain't happening.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Weve been down this road before, lets see if youre going to pull an @Alex99 :lol:
Nah, i'm just curious. I've been through your last 60 posts and only 9 are United related and 2 of those 9 you refer to Chelsea players (Jorginho and Havertz).

The vast majority are Chelsea related. There's no reason to hide being a Chelsea fan if you are as we have plenty of rival supporters on here.

Bleu

Supports
New England Revolution
Nah, i'm just curious. I've been through your last 60 posts and only 9 are United related and 2 of those 9 you refer to Chelsea players (Jorginho and Havertz).

The vast majority are Chelsea related. There's no reason to hide being a Chelsea fan if you are as we have plenty of rival supporters on here.
I do love me another Superfan :D. Very cute. Theres a club already though started by another poster, youre welcome to join him. Go through the pages on this forum because Im not repeating myself on this propaganda. Don’t tell me you have no time for that when you've been stalking my posts. I dont turn my posts to private, I let my fans enjoy them;)

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I do love me another Superfan :D. Very cute. Theres a club already though started by another poster, youre welcome to join him. Go through the pages on this forum because Im not repeating myself on this propaganda. Don’t tell me you have no time for that when you've been stalking my posts;)
We discuss every newbie. That's the whole point of the like system. You're certainly making yourself stand out though. ;)

Bleu

Supports
New England Revolution
We discuss every newbie. That's the whole point of the like system. You're certainly making yourself stand out though. ;)
Thanks, I appreciate it. We are derailing the Lukaku thread now with this love in, even though it flatters me :angel:

I literally have one post left though, if you want to continue messaging me or you start to miss me, private message me.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
You do talk an awful lot about Chelsea, Chelsea players and ex Chelsea players and barely any posts about United. Very odd.
Wouldn't be the first Chelsea fan on here to pretend to be a United fan :lol:

goptun

Drogba's output wasn't that great honestly.
He scored in almost every final he played in, though. 9 goals in 10 finals for Chelsea. A big game player that often made the difference when it mattered.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Great improvement in two areas I saw in his game for Chelsea
1. He didn't try to take on players with ball on his feet instead shielding the ball and look for players to pass them.That side of his game he improved vastly at inter and his assists stats for inter proved he did improved in that scenario.

2. Movement by him to pull away from defenders is top quality. First goal against villa reminded me of Costa second goal identical to hasselbank.Top class striker movements.

Wing Attack Plan R

I like how you say I talk rubbish and then agree with me in so many ways.

You say his strength is running the channels and cutting in from wide areas which is of course true and not so different from some of the players I mentioned who are not center forwards. He has been played wide in his career to good effect after all.

Also in agreement that his technical deficiencies will let him down at times this season. I just don’t see the skill set needed at the CF position to do the business at the top level. And I’ve felt that way a long time as you have. Thus my comparing him to DCL and Vardy who are better in their overall play at CF.

Lukaku will score goals this season. No doubt about it. He is obviously fitter which is the biggest difference from his last season here for me. But I would be shocked to see him scoring headers and holding up the ball efficiently in the PL. I just don’t think players improve technically so late in their careers. It’s pretty much unheard of.
I will say, however, that newbies like MvG prove that there is value in having newbies roaming outside the newbies forum. Anyway, I agree with MvG here. Playing in Serie A has allowed Lukaku to work on aspects of his game that were woeful, but it was still in Serie A. Whether he can bring that back into the PL remains to be seen. He will again have better players around him at Chelsea than he did at Everton, so you'd think he'd be likely to score more goals, but he had a pretty good team around him at United and his numbers went down. It's early days yet, time will tell.

Last edited:

EtH

I will say, however, that newbies like MvG prove that there is value in having newbies roaming outside the newbies forum. Anyway, I agree with MvG here. Playing in Serie A has allowed Lukaku to work on aspects of his game that were woeful, but it was still in Serie A. Whether he can bring that back into the PL remains to be seen. He will again have better players around him at Chelsea than he did at Everton, so you'd think he'd be likely to score more goals, but he had a pretty good team around him at United and his numbers went down. It's early days yet, time will tell.
Cheers ! Mighty kind of you, sir.

Agree as well. I think it’s time to sit back and watch a few matches now. So many Chelsea fans going overboard in my view. But as you say only time will tell.

lsd

The Oracle
The big game player does it again. Best striker in the world

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Lukaku is winning us games. His touch and control can be erratic but he’s scoring.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Lukaku will score goals this season. No doubt about it. He is obviously fitter which is the biggest difference from his last season here for me. But I would be shocked to see him scoring headers and holding up the ball efficiently in the PL. I just don’t think players improve technically so late in their careers. It’s pretty much unheard of.
I blame you for their win tonight

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
He started well with United too.. we'll see.
I think he will prove to be decent overall. We created so many clear cut chances last season, some that a blind man could finish. If he keeps getting into good positions then he will score. The more he scores, the longer he plays with confidence.

United in sin

I think he will prove to be decent overall. We created so many clear cut chances last season, some that a blind man could finish. If he keeps getting into good positions then he will score. The more he scores, the longer he plays with confidence.
I think he'll finish as the top scorer in the league this season. Chelsea seems to be the perfect fit for him

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Was banging them in for United at the start too. He’s a donkey.
He's not a donkey is he. 255 goals in 512 pro apps. His ball control and dribbling can sometimes be a bit "eh?!" but hes a goalscorer. Proven one too. Thats what we needed, and touch wood we now have it (i say touch wood as many proven strikers seem to be shit with us)

Mike Smalling

He will continue to score plenty for Chelsea, and may well end up on +30 for the season. However, in a Premier League season that looks like it could be really tight and therefore be decided by the games between Chelsea, City, Liverpool and ourselves, is he really the 100m man you would want to make the difference in those games? Not a chance.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
He will continue to score plenty for Chelsea, and may well end up on +30 for the season. However, in a Premier League season that looks like it could be really tight and therefore be decided by the games between Chelsea, City, Liverpool and ourselves, is he really the 100m man you would want to make the difference in those games? Not a chance.
Winning against mid table and relegation battle teams will most likely win the title. Not only this season but every season. If you not win them 100 % won t win title any way.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He's not a donkey is he. 255 goals in 512 pro apps. His ball control and dribbling can sometimes be a bit "eh?!" but hes a goalscorer. Proven one too. Thats what we needed, and touch wood we now have it (i say touch wood as many proven strikers seem to be shit with us)
Trust me I was making the same arguments when he was at United. He scored 27 in his first season here. Soon his first touch and poor close control drives you insane and held us back in the big games. I do think he fits Chelsea more and he won’t be allowed to bulk into almost a literal donkey like he was at United. All his mobility went in his 2nd season.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They won the CL last season. Won at anfield, beat city twice in a month. Beating the big teams wasn't the problem, they didn't need Lukaku for that. They were winning at anfield until Alonso had a brainfart

Demas

Supports
Chelsea
They won the CL last season. Won at anfield, beat city twice in a month. Beating the big teams wasn't the problem, they didn't need Lukaku for that. They were winning at anfield until Alonso had a brainfart
I think they are implying that he will hinder the team in the big games because he doesn't score a lot in such games and also doesn't press like Werner. If that proves to be the case, then they have a point. The Liverpool game was encouraging, though he had some bad moments. I guess we will see as the season progresses.

United in sin

Trust me I was making the same arguments when he was at United. He scored 27 in his first season here. Soon his first touch and poor close control drives you insane and held us back in the big games. I do think he fits Chelsea more and he won’t be allowed to bulk into almost a literal donkey like he was at United. All his mobility went in his 2nd season.
He looked very mobile and intense to me when he scored twice against PSG and 9 times overall in a short period after Solskjaer took over from Mourinho

mu4c_20le

I'm watching Haaland right now and he's only just turned 21 but his hold up play is already better and more confident than Big Rom, who wasn't bad yesterday, but it's always like watching a wrestler or bodybuilder try and control the ball. Obviously Lukaku is in great form right now so it's not surprising to see him being compared with the best, but when both are in form, Haaland over him any day.

RonaldoVII

Was he involved much today? Didn't see the game but noticed he had no goals/assists in what sounded like a fairly comfortable Chelsea win.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Was he involved much today? Didn't see the game but noticed he had no goals/assists in what sounded like a fairly comfortable Chelsea win.
Isolated first half. Much better in the second half. Should have had at least two assists, Kovacic and Werner missing absolute sitters.