Romelu Lukaku | Chelsea

Flyer1

Supports
City
He's a class act, he needs a good passer from midfield to feed him but he was the only player I feared and he got in twice in a very defensive Chelsea set up. I'd be more concerned with tuchel not playing to his strengths, if you play mount and jorghino then lukaku will score a bucket full, play kante, kovatich and 5 at the back then he won't.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Well one has 14 goals in 22 games and the other has 8 in 22 games. One plays for a much better team. It’s not the one with the most goals. He also hasn’t had the benefit of 45 minutes against Chesterfield.
Just the benefit of 5 conference league games.

I can't stand Lukaku but let's be honest Kane has taken the phrase flat track stat padding to new dimensions this season.

acnumber9

I can't stand Lukaku but let's be honest Kane has taken the phrase flat track stat padding to new dimensions this season.
I was talking about Ronaldo.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral

I guess its not fair to judge Kane on this season so far because of the huge problems and drama at the start of the season. That probably hindered him in the first few months.

He's been more like his usual self recently and is again getting back there gradually.

If you want to compare the two, I would actually say both are of the same level basically(would give Harry the edge). Both are flat track bullies. They have different strengths though: Kane excels at shooting and passing while Lukaku's physicality and pace makes him stand out.

How and where would you rank the two in the list of world's top strikers?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I guess its not fair to judge Kane on this season so far because of the huge problems and drama at the start of the season. That probably hindered him in the first few months.

He's been more like his usual self recently and is again getting back there gradually.

If you want to compare the two, I would actually say both are of the same level basically(would give Harry the edge). Both are flat track bullies. They have different strengths though: Kane excels at shooting and passing while Lukaku's physicality and pace makes him stand out.

How and where would you rank the two in the list of world's top strikers?
Kane in his prime I'd rank amoung the best as much as I hate to say it (still need to see evidence that this form is actually form and not decline, Torres falling off a cliff at the end of his Liverpool reign was assumed as sulking, likewise Alexis/Arsenal).

Lukaku I've never thought much off, good goalscorer but far too fundamentally flawed. He found his level at Everton (people will hit me with the Inter title but look at the list of players Conte has made a champion, the guy is a genius when fully motivated).

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
While that's true it is kind of ironic you pointing it out after last season claiming Maguire > Silva based on age :lol:
He's the same poster who thought Ole Gunnar Soljskear was going to win Man Utd the league this season.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Then he's not world class is he? World class players have abilities average players don't. Scoring goals doesn't mean someone's world class.
He's technically average, poor balance, can't dribble, his finishing is iffy, bad decision making, can't play under pressure...
He never in a million years was world class

yup totally scapegoating
Thanks for the image, it's pointless and a waste of your time but thanks. Like i didn't already know his stats for this season.
He is being scapegoated though, last season our highest goal scorer was Jorginho. This season it's the same, and yet everyone blames Lukaku.
What happened when Lukaku didn't play? 1-1 at home to Burnley, 1-1 Everton, 1-1 Man Utd, 0-0 away to Wolves, 1-1 at half time to Villa, scraped a 2-1 win away to Watford with an awful performance. The team is no better without him.
We play agains't arguably the best team in Europe and our whole team was crap including our best players in Kante and Kovacic and yet everyone blames Lukaku.
Like i said. 9 starts 5 goals, im pretty confident if we had Lukaku fit and he started every game we wouldn't' be 13 points behind Man City. We would be closer to them.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Thanks for the image, it's pointless and a waste of your time but thanks. Like i didn't already know his stats for this season.
He is being scapegoated though, last season our highest goal scorer was Jorginho. This season it's the same, and yet everyone blames Lukaku.
What happened when Lukaku didn't play? 1-1 at home to Burnley, 1-1 Everton, 1-1 Man Utd, 0-0 away to Wolves, 1-1 at half time to Villa, scraped a 2-1 win away to Watford with an awful performance. The team is no better without him.
We play agains't arguably the best team in Europe and our whole team was crap including our best players in Kante and Kovacic and yet everyone blames Lukaku.
Like i said. 9 starts 5 goals, im pretty confident if we had Lukaku fit and he started every game we wouldn't' be 13 points behind Man City. We would be closer to them.
We're on course to eclipse 3 of our 5 title winning goal tally's despite our troubles and Rom has missed a lot of it.

Kai up top may not score to the level he should himself but him there is a very big reason the team does.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Well one has 14 goals in 22 games and the other has 8 in 22 games. One plays for a much better team. It’s not the one with the most goals. He also hasn’t had the benefit of 45 minutes against Chesterfield.
And one starts nearly every game, the other has been injured and had covid. In lots of Lukaku 22 appearances he was coming off the bench with not long to to go, Context is key.
Ronaldo also has the benefit of taking penalties.

acnumber9

And one starts nearly every game, the other has been injured and had covid. In lots of Lukaku 22 appearances he was coming off the bench with not long to to go, Context is key.
Ronaldo also has the benefit of taking penalties.
Context is important. To clarify that context, Ronaldo has scored a goal every 123 minutes for United this season. Lukaku has scored one every 179 minutes. If we want to take Ronaldo’s 2 penalties off him that makes it a goal every 144 minutes. For fairness I’ll take Lukaku’s goal against Chesterfield off him and that would make it a goal every 204 minutes.

Ronaldo is playing in a complete disaster of a team, Lukaku isn’t. Ronaldo also has more assists.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Lukaku didn't win one single aerial duel against City. He hasn't got it.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Lukaku didn't win one single aerial duel against City. He hasn't got it.
That was not even the most shocking thing about his performance (and yes I am considering how City even dropped their best CB for the game.) Instead that was his (lack of) pressing which was beyond comical and his first touch.

As I have said elsewhere, anyone who thinks Lukaku isn't a limited player, doesn't understand football.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Weren't you one of the ones telling us how the "top class" Ronaldo was going to take us from 2nd to champions?

How's that going?
And obviously that’s all Ronaldos fault. Nah you’re right we’d definitely win the league if we kept Lukaku…

Verward

Lukaku isn't even fit to tie Ronaldo's shoe laces. Ronaldo in City or even Chelea team would have had more goals and assists by now.
Just because Lukaku crows about him being one of the top 5 strikers doesnt mean he is one. I still think he is the same Lukaku what we all saw at in his earlier stint in PL.
He is above average but nowhere near world class he thinks he is.

Smacky The Frog

I stand by this. Shit signing, that's going to set this side back for years.
Agreed Lukaku is a shit signing, always was, disagree that Havertz is that guy. He may be the most well-rounded of Chelsea's flawed collection of broken forwards and probably has the most potential of them all (definitely the most handsome), but he's shown nothing to suggest he can lead the line for an entire season for a title contending team. They desperately needed a legitimate goalscorer, just not Lukaku.

Pintu

Lukaku I've never thought much off, good goalscorer but far too fundamentally flawed. He found his level at Everton (people will hit me with the Inter title but look at the list of players Conte has made a champion, the guy is a genius when fully motivated).
Conte had the best team in the league by a fair margin. No standout superstars, but very good and reliable players. 3 very good defenders. 2 wingbacks better than anything seen in Serie A since the 352/343 formations resurfaced. No disrespect to Juventus having Lichtsteiner/Cancelo or Evra/Sandro/Spina. But the truth is Perisic and Hakimi were on another planet last season.

And they also had a very decent bench with Sanchez among others helping when needed. They would have won the league just as comfortably with Zapata or Dzeko instead of Lukaku. It would have been a huge miss to bottle that.

And obviously that’s all Ronaldos fault. Nah you’re right we’d definitely win the league if we kept Lukaku…
No it is not. But he is not soliving the problems. Chelsea probably needed a different striker, but they have other issues as well. They most certainly didn't lose points to Wolves and Everton because of Lukaku.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Context is important. To clarify that context, Ronaldo has scored a goal every 123 minutes for United this season. Lukaku has scored one every 179 minutes. If we want to take Ronaldo’s 2 penalties off him that makes it a goal every 144 minutes. For fairness I’ll take Lukaku’s goal against Chesterfield off him and that would make it a goal every 204 minutes.

Ronaldo is playing in a complete disaster of a team, Lukaku isn’t. Ronaldo also has more assists.
Im glad you agree context is important.
In some of Lukaku 9 starts he had played Man City twice, Liverpool away (played whole second half down to 10 men), Spurs away, Arsenal away. Lukaku hasn't started VS the like of Newcastle, Norwich, Burnley etc. Three of Ronaldo goals also came VS two of those three teams i just mentioned.
Considering he has only scored 3 more Premier league goals than Lukaku, that might help.

You claiming that Ronaldo is playing for a disaster of a team to make it sound and look better unfortunately didn't work for me.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
We're on course to eclipse 3 of our 5 title winning goal tally's despite our troubles and Rom has missed a lot of it.

Kai up top may not score to the level he should himself but him there is a very big reason the team does.
And alot of those are penalties and set piece goals. I dont go with the theory Kai makes us a better team. The Liverpool game we scored 2 because Kovacic scored a screamer and Liverpool are very open and play a high line.
We created good opportunities VS Liverpool away when Lukaku started, but the final pass from Mount and Kai let us down. We also beat Arsenal and Spurs away with Lukaku playing and creating good chances.

Im not saying Lukaku is perfect and he's playing well but i dont think he is the main problem. Its not Lukaku fault at the weekend Ziyech cant put an easy through ball that would off put Lukaku in on goal.
Our attacking number 10's and wingers like Pulisic and Werner are a bigger problem than Lukaku.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Realistically Chelsea have to make it work with Lukaku. I don't think there's another option on the table. Tuchel won't let [or won't be allowed to let] a £97m signing rot away on the bench. I will always prefer Havertz to Lukaku, but unfortunately, Lukaku is here and he's here on an eye-watering contract as the club's record signing, so fans wanting him out, talk of cutting our losses and selling him is just a wishful pipedream.

Tuchel needs to find a way to make this work. Not necessarily this season. Rotate the team, do whatever to see to see the season out in respectable fashion, hopefully a trophy or two along the way, then start fresh with a full preseason.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
And alot of those are penalties and set piece goals. I dont go with the theory Kai makes us a better team. The Liverpool game we scored 2 because Kovacic scored a screamer and Liverpool are very open and play a high line.
We created good opportunities VS Liverpool away when Lukaku started, but the final pass from Mount and Kai let us down. We also beat Arsenal and Spurs away with Lukaku playing and creating good chances.

Im not saying Lukaku is perfect and he's playing well but i dont think he is the main problem. Its not Lukaku fault at the weekend Ziyech cant put an easy through ball that would off put Lukaku in on goal.
Our attacking number 10's and wingers like Pulisic and Werner are a bigger problem than Lukaku.
Lukaku also let us down with final passes in that game, oh and then when down to ten men he was walking around when the other nine were working their nuts off to maintain a draw.

If Rom put the hard yards in I'll somewhat forgive the fact his first touch puts us at risk of a counter attack but his lack of work rate is unforgivable. We've had the likes of Samuel Eto'o come to Chelsea and work his socks off and this chancer walses in with his ego like he's our version of CR7.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Realistically Chelsea have to make it work with Lukaku. I don't think there's another option on the table. Tuchel won't let [or won't be allowed to let] a £97m signing rot away on the bench. I will always prefer Havertz to Lukaku, but unfortunately, Lukaku is here and he's here on an eye-watering contract as the club's record signing, so fans wanting him out, talk of cutting our losses and selling him is just a wishful pipedream.

Tuchel needs to find a way to make this work. Not necessarily this season. Rotate the team, do whatever to see to see the season out in respectable fashion, hopefully a trophy or two along the way, then start fresh with a full preseason.
On this score that's where Rom's ego may actually get us off the hook.

If there's one thing he can be fully relied on with is that he won't accept a bit part role and will do everything he can himself to get out. He won't knuckle down and settle for a medium term demotion ala Kepa (I wouldn't actually mind having him around if he did).

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
On this score that's where Rom's ego may actually get us off the hook.

If there's one thing he can be fully relied on with is that he won't accept a bit part role and will do everything he can himself to get out. He won't knuckle down and settle for a medium term demotion ala Kepa (I wouldn't actually mind having him around if he did).
Yeah but just like Chelsea have to operate within the reality of the situation, so does Lukaku. There is no market for an unsettled striker as limited as Lukaku on the contract he's on where Chelsea will look to recoup most the transfer fee. Who could possibly afford him, but also appeal to Lukaku? PSG is the only answer.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah but just like Chelsea have to operate within the reality of the situation, so does Lukaku. There is no market for an unsettled striker as limited as Lukaku on the contract he's on where Chelsea will look to recoup most the transfer fee. Who could possibly afford him, but also appeal to Lukaku? PSG is the only answer.
Let's hope they want a guaranteed stat padder when Mbappe leaves.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
World class in a front 2. Showed it at Inter. Not the first striker who would have been world class in the 90s but not today.

Yesterday's game reminded me of why I (incorrectly) wanted Morata over Lukaku that summer. The hold up play in big games is a mile apart.
Would have been world class in the 90s? It’s the opposite, some people make him out like that now because he has the advantage of their being only a few who play in a similar way. If he was in the world of Batistuta, Shearer, Suker, Ronaldo, Zamorano, Weah, Elber, Salas, and countless more he would be nowhere near that. He’s not anything like as good as Andy Cole, as another example, but has miles more noise around him.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
World class in a front 2. Showed it at Inter. Not the first striker who would have been world class in the 90s but not today.

Yesterday's game reminded me of why I (incorrectly) wanted Morata over Lukaku that summer. The hold up play in big games is a mile apart.
No, he wouldn't.

He has nothing on Ronaldo Nazario,Del Piero, Baggio,Papin, Cantona, Suker, Jürgen Klisnmam,Jari Litmanen,etc

He is a cheap version of Inzaghi, at least Inzaghi scored in big games.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Remember the Morata/Lukaku arguments when we had the former and United had the latter?

After suffering through both I can say Morata is the lesser evil, significantly so aswell.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Remember the Morata/Lukaku arguments when we had the former and United had the latter?

After suffering through both I can say Morata is the lesser evil, significantly so aswell.
Nah feck him. Lukaku is better than him and will prove to be a better Chelsea player, even if that isn't saying much. Morata is the most annoying, least useful strikers we've had in my lifetime.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

Based on absolutely nothing at all, I still think if the transfers had been reversed, Morata could have been great for us... even though that goes against any form of logic

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Nah feck him. Lukaku is better than him and will prove to be a better Chelsea player, even if that isn't saying much. Morata is the most annoying, least useful strikers we've had in my lifetime.
I'm factoring off the pitch aswell. Morata didn't have the sheer level of ego on him, didn't cry to the media that hard when Oli deservedly displaced him (which Lukaku will 100% do if and when the time comes) and most importantly we got rid reasonably quickly which as you said is very much in doubt with Rom.

Also Morata does atleast have some big game pedigree.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
I'm factoring off the pitch aswell. Morata didn't have the sheer level of ego on him, didn't cry to the media that hard when Oli deservedly displaced him (which Lukaku will 100% do if and when the time comes) and most importantly we got rid reasonably quickly which as you said is very much in doubt with Rom.

His pointing is pathetic compared to Lukaku, though

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Morata was the completely opposite. His confidence was so fragile that he withdrew into a shell after the tiniest bit of adversity. He could be seemingly having a decent game, but one bad miss and he's invisible for the rest of the game and the next 7 games.

Yeah the situation with Lukaku isn't great, but given the choice in 2017 and again in 2021 [assuming they'd cost the same] I'm picking Lukaku every time.

NoPace

Yeah, I liked Morata's potential more because he was so good for Juve in link and hold up play, but he's never turned into the above average finisher he needs to. He's alright, but if he was a 1 in 2 striker instead of a 1 in 3 he'd be the main man for Spain and better than Lukaku based on all-around play, but the goals/threat gap is just too much.

acnumber9

In some of Lukaku 9 starts he had played Man City twice, Liverpool away (played whole second half down to 10 men), Spurs away, Arsenal away. Lukaku hasn't started VS the like of Newcastle, Norwich, Burnley etc. Three of Ronaldo goals also came VS two of those three teams i just mentioned.
Considering he has only scored 3 more Premier league goals than Lukaku, that might help.

You claiming that Ronaldo is playing for a disaster of a team to make it sound and look better unfortunately didn't work for me.
He did play against those teams and only scored against one of them. Ronaldo scored three in four starts against those other teams. I think you may have deliberately missed those out. Your argument isn’t very genuine.

By all means disallow the goals you’ve mentioned. He’s still scored more.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Same happened in Seria A too
Ronaldo outscored him there even though Lukaku played for the title winners.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
He did play against those teams and only scored against one of them. Ronaldo scored three in four starts against those other teams. I think you may have deliberately missed those out. Your argument isn’t very genuine.

By all means disallow the goals you’ve mentioned. He’s still scored more.
I didnt disallow any goals, wasn't having an argument either, i was just stating facts.
Lukaku also scored VS Arsenal. My point was Lukaku has 3 less goals in less starts than Ronaldo and Lukaku 9 starts were agains't better teams.
If Lukaku had played the like of Norwich. Newcastle, Burnley Lukaku would likely have more goals too. Ronaldo has 3 more league goals in more starts, 2 of those came VS Newcastle and one pen VS Norwich.
You giving me just minutes played isn't great context.