Romelu Lukaku | Chelsea

acnumber9

I didnt disallow any goals, wasn't having an argument either, i was just stating facts.
Lukaku also scored VS Arsenal. My point was Lukaku has 3 less goals in less starts than Ronaldo and Lukaku 9 starts were agains't better teams.
If Lukaku had played the like of Norwich. Newcastle, Burnley Lukaku would likely have more goals too. Ronaldo has 3 more league goals in more starts, 2 of those came VS Newcastle and one pen VS Norwich.
You giving me just minutes played isn't great context.
You’re dealing in hypotheticals, I’m dealing in facts. Here’s more context. In 5 starts against the current top 7 Ronaldo has four goals. Lukaku has 1 in 5 starts. I don’t have to ignore Champions League to improve my argument. And at no stage has Lukaku had to play in a team getting spanked 5-0 by one of those top 7.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
If it didn’t present a significant risk of a Tsunami I’d be launching him into the Thames.

Burned too many bridges with that interview for me.

Moonwalker

Still can't play with his back to goal. Doesn't even try to. It should be to the surprise of no one who's watched him, and since he is even on record that it's "not his game". Regardless, a fair few were trying to convince us after Chelsea splashed the readies, that that's exactly what he's good at now, after undergoing a miraculous transformation at Inter.

This was mainly peddled by some eejit who can't distinguish between 'your' and 'you're' but is supposedly an authority on the subject since his uncle supports Inter. Wish I made all this up, but you couldn't.

non profit football

Supports
Chelsea
Every game he puts this jersey back on and plays, the more expensive this whole mess will come out.

Pughnichi

I'm curious as to what he thinks Ziyech could have done differently there. I mean he played the ball straight to his feet.
the other side of the defender and into the space behind for him to run on to.

only seen this (narrow angle) clip though so don’t even know if the space was there for that pass.

Agree with you though. he can’t really complain. It’s straight to him and if he wasn’t so cumbersome and actual had quick feet, better agility and a higher IQ (which should be a prerequisite for 100M player)… a faster first touch would have taken him past the defender instead of letting go across his body and towards the sideline

he’s truly awful…well, not awful…but his level was/is Everton and/or slower/weaker Serie A

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United

only seen this (narrow angle) clip though so don’t even know if the space was there for that pass.

Agree with you though. he can’t really complain. It’s straight to him and if he wasn’t so cumbersome and actual had quick feet, better agility and a higher IQ (which should be a prerequisite for 100M player)… a faster first touch would have taken him past the defender instead of letting go across his body and towards the sideline

he’s truly awful…well, not awful…but his level was/is Everton and/or slower/weaker Serie A
What about his insane international record, which basically no striker other than Ronaldo matches?

Pughnichi

What about his insane international record, which basically no striker other than Ronaldo matches?
Are you hoping to argue Lukaku’s case? what of it. Stern John and Robbie Keane scored similar amount of international goals.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Are you hoping to argue Lukaku’s case? what of it. Stern John and Robbie Keane scored similar amount of international goals.
Lukaku's record is much better than Keane's, much better than most striker's of his time, and Stern John played against much worse opposition and a majority of those goals are friendlies..

Everyone knows Lukaku is not the best, most rounded and gifted striker there is, he has limitations. But play to his strengths and he will score quite a lot, and he's proven that too often for the shit he gets about his ability. He is no donkey, but does have serious limitations.

UncleBob

I'm curious as to what he thinks Ziyech could have done differently there. I mean he played the ball straight to his feet.
Played in behind, I suppose, but no idea how easy that actually was. No idea why he keeps complaining about it though, he comes off as an absolute twat.

Deery

Dreary
I noticed a lot of the time Lukaku was making short runs off the shoulder of the defender and I thought oh they’re going to play him in now but the pass never came, it was only Rudiger played him in which was strange given the supposedly amazing passers they have.

meamth

Worst part of this is Chelsea can afford another striker.

They can make 100million mistakes, they will sign another new toy.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Worst part of this is Chelsea can afford another striker.

They can make 100million mistakes, they will sign another new toy.
You are joking? We didn't commit to another big money striker for three and a bit years after Torres. We "got around" how shit he was by signing Ba and a 32 year old Eto'o for a combined £7m.

Like after Kepa, we'll have to scout carefully and/or promote from within and pray we stumble across an answer unless by some miracle a 4th big team get duped into thinking this idiot is worth it.

They can keep doing it for all we care. Morata then Werner and now Lukaku. It's not like this is just a one off.
Morata was an anomaly because we somehow found someone stupid enough to give us our money back.

Is Werner really THAT big a money signing for modern standards?

TheLord

Two players who aren’t good enough to start for most PL teams arguing about a “deep” pass. Hilarious.

meamth

You are joking? We didn't commit to another big money striker for three and a bit years after Torres. We "got around" how shit he was by signing Ba and a 32 year old Eto'o for a combined £7m.

Like after Kepa, we'll have to scout carefully and/or promote from within and pray we stumble across an answer unless by some miracle a 4th big team get duped into thinking this idiot is worth it.

Morata was an anomaly because we somehow found someone stupid enough to give us our money back.

Is Werner really THAT big a money signing for modern standards?
I did say you can make big money signing mistakes over and over again. Over the recent years, there will always be big money signing coming, no consequences.

Kepa, Morata, Torres, Shevchenko, Lukaku, and some successes with Kai, and not many I can think of.

United constantly sign mega players but that is once in 2 years or so, but when they failed we're impacted financially, Chelsea? Not so much.

lawliet354

I did say you can make big money signing mistakes over and over again. Over the recent years, there will always be big money signing coming, no consequences.

Kepa, Morata, Torres, Shevchenko, Lukaku, and some successes with Kai, and not many I can think of.

United constantly sign mega players but that is once in 2 years or so, but when they failed we're impacted financially, Chelsea? Not so much.
What is this financial impact that affects United? We've spent almost as much as City yet most of our signings are failure. And we still continue spending crazily on flops way more than Chelsea too. At least with Chelsea, it's only their strikers who flops

meamth

What is this financial impact that affects United? We've spent almost as much as City yet most of our signings are failure. And we still continue spending crazily on flops way more than Chelsea too. At least with Chelsea, it's only their strikers who flops
We have transfer and club debts, costly mistakes like that will affect United in the long run. Yes we are operating like a big club, signing players in big fee, but we don't have that bottomless pit, they however can sign whatever they want.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Kepa says hi

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Can Kai even be considered a clear success ? He is pretty inconsistent despite the talent

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Lukaku giving a teammate that much shit for an inaccurate pass is hilarious, given his own track record of bad decisions and touches.
It wasn't even inaccurate. It was to his feet but it was fizzed into him and he couldn't control it. It's possible he wanted it in behind rather than to his feet, and it's fair enough to point that out but it looked like he was arguing with Ziyech for ages about it. They were still going at it going into HT and coming out for the second half.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

You've named 4 strikers signed 15 years apart. Sheva and Torres were signed 5 years apart. Morata was signed 5 years after Torres and Lukaku was signed 4 years after Morata, who we sold off for a huge fee recouping nearly all of the initial outlay.

In between all these big money flops we've had Costa who was great and sold on for a huge profit, and also a load of really cheap or free signings like Ba, Eto'o, Drogba 2.0, Falcao etc.

Kepa flopped and we've signed a cheap replacement who has turned out to be exceptionally good.

cyberman

You've named 4 strikers signed 15 years apart. Sheva and Torres were signed 5 years apart. Morata was signed 5 years after Torres and Lukaku was signed 4 years after Morata, who we sold off for a huge fee recouping nearly all of the initial outlay.

In between all this big money flops we've had Costa who was great and sold on for a huge profit, and also a load of really cheap or free signings like Ba, Eto'o, Drogba 2.0, Falcao etc.

Kepa flopped and we've signed a cheap replacement who has turned out to be exceptionally good.
Your entire front line are flops imo. Pulisic is up there with the worst of the bunch.
You spent over a quarter of a billion on your attacking players just 2 seasons ago and an argument can be made that you still need upgrades in those position.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Your entire front line are flops imo. Pulisic is up there with the worst of the bunch.
You spent over a quarter of a billion on your attacking players just 2 seasons ago and an argument can be made that you still need upgrades in those position.
Debatable. Pulisic is horribly injury prone. I hesitate to label him a flop when he doesn't seem to be able to stay fit for more than a couple of weeks. He was stupidly expensive though, its just unfortunate that he's always injured. Anyway that guy was talking about Chelsea pulling big money strikers out our arses every summer.

cyberman

Debatable. Pulisic is horribly injury prone. I hesitate to label him a flop when he doesn't seem to be able to stay fit for more than a couple of weeks. He was stupidly expensive though, its just unfortunate that he's always injured. Anyway that guy was talking about Chelsea pulling big money strikers out our arses every summer.
That makes him a flop though, that’s just a reason why he’s a flop, not an argument against it.
Random note, I’m actually a fan of Havertz and think Werner has a role somewhere. Teams in England just need to be elite beyond elite to consistently win in England and to compete with City. This Bayern couldn’t do it imo, that’s the level that’s needed and it takes a psychological toll. Sadly for Chelsea fans I can see Havertz and Werner join Bayern on the cheap and look like world beaters in Germany. Fans will laugh at you for it but you’re in an unfair position.

Makes sense. Doesn't look like there would have been much space though, and its rich for him to complain about an excellent turn and pass when he completely fails to control the ball when it comes to him and instead lets it run miles past him.

I wonder where he will go and stink up next. Surely he's finished in the PL now.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
That makes him a flop though, that’s just a reason why he’s a flop, not an argument against it.
Random note, I’m actually a fan of Havertz and think Werner has a role somewhere. Teams in England just need to be elite beyond elite to consistently win in England and to compete with City. This Bayern couldn’t do it imo, that’s the level that’s needed and it takes a psychological toll. Sadly for Chelsea fans I can see Havertz and Werner join Bayern on the cheap and look like world beaters in Germany. Fans will laugh at you for it but you’re in an unfair position.
I know, you're right, that is what a flop is but it's an unfair label because flop always carries with it a sense that it was the player's fault, who just couldn't justify the hype and the big fee. It may be partially true for Pulisic but his injuries have made it impossible to have any kind of sustained impact.

I think we'll eventually sell Werner for a decent fee. He doesn't have the scoring record but he's been hugely important in many other ways. He's a flop in terms of what we signed him for but I don't consider him a flop generally speaking.

Havertz will be fine, he’s a superb player but Lukaku's presence is a big obstacle to his development. We have to figure out what we're doing about Lukaku or Havertz is probably going to get lost in all the noise.