Romelu Lukaku | Chelsea

Seriously? Is this post actually a joke?

You genuinely think Ronaldo didn't improve from age 24 on? And that his ridiculous goalscoring is solely down to differences in leagues, when in actual fact La Liga was comfortably better than the PL for the better part of a decade whilst he was there?

Clearly you didn't actually watch football during this period so you should just hold your L and move on. Ronaldo not improving at Madrid - have a word with yourself; that is up there with the most ludicrous things I've ever seen posted on this forum.
I don't mean to interrupt you two but it's not that far out there to suggest his technique didn't improve much from 24 on. He learned to be more efficient and effective sure, and his movement improved tenfold, but his actual technique on the ball didn't change much. If anything he learned to spend less time with it.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Imo, Ronaldo's best years were the first 2-3 years he spent at Madrid. That's where he struck the best balance between goalscoring taken to a new level and fantastic overall play.

EtH

Out of curiosity, which aspects of Ronaldo a game improved markedly as you put it? In my opinion his dribbling got worse and so was his running with the ball.

With the goals someone will argue that there are players in the EPL with more season goals than Ronaldo therefore Ronaldo is not the best EPL player of the last 20yrs and that will be ridiculous.
I don't mean to interrupt you two but it's not that far out there to suggest his technique didn't improve much from 24 on. He learned to be more efficient and effective sure, and his movement improved tenfold, but his actual technique on the ball didn't change much. If anything he learned to spend less time with it.
Agreed. Not worth your time though. You’re more likely to get some shit green smiley non sequitur reply than any actual logic backing up any supposed point.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Out of curiosity, which aspects of Ronaldo a game improved markedly as you put it? In my opinion his dribbling got worse and so was his running with the ball.

With the goals someone will argue that there are players in the EPL with more season goals than Ronaldo therefore Ronaldo is not the best EPL player of the last 20yrs and that will be ridiculous.
His movement in and around the box improved dramatically. His ability in the air, with his back to goal, and his finishing all went up a level.

Again, it's not like he was bad at any of these things whilst at Man United (or that he's even remotely comparable to Lukaku in any of these aspects) - the simple fact is that he improved upon moving to Madrid in his mid 20s.

Highfather_24

Imo, Ronaldo's best years were the first 2-3 years he spent at Madrid. That's where he struck the best balance between goalscoring taken to a new level and fantastic overall play.
Ronaldo with the #9 jersey was a beast.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Sorry don't have much time past few days - doing some renovating at my parents home.
How's that more important than clipping Lukaku gifs? You're slacking. I'm disappointed.

EtH

Poor again today. That’s five straight matches now without a goal. Same old Lukaku.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Shouldn't have taken the 9 shirt...

Seriously though, I thought he was OK yesterday. Couple of wrong decisions, like taking the ball off Chilwell when offside. Havertz definitely didn't do any better.

Will need time for us to play to his strengths better.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Poor again today. That’s five straight matches now without a goal. Same old Lukaku.
He made plenty of great runs across or in behind his markers, but I was a bit frustrated with the midfielders hesitancy when they see the gap he's created and the lack accuracy when they attempt to find him. The pass KDB played him against France was on multiple times, but the pass just either didn't come or if it did it was nowhere near him.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Shouldn't have taken the 9 shirt...

Seriously though, I thought he was OK yesterday. Couple of wrong decisions, like taking the ball off Chilwell when offside. Havertz definitely didn't do any better.

Will need time for us to play to his strengths better.
Time is for up and coming players, not for 100 million strikers, they are bought to perform immediately.

KeanoMagicHat

He's not done that badly, but Chelsea seem to have some sort of curse on big money strikers - Shevchenko, Werner, Torres, Morata, Batshuayi. Only Drogba and Costa have ever really clicked there of big name arrivals.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Time is for up and coming players, not for 100 million strikers, they are bought to perform immediately.
Winning games as a team is what actually matters though. Of all the €100m+ transfers, only Ronaldo to Madrid in 2009 can be classed as a total success. Quite a few of them have been totally disastrous.

Lukaku adds a different dimension to us as a team. How exactly we play to be the most effective with Lukaku, Tuchel is still figuring out though. 352 kind of works, can't fit Mount in the team as the main problem.

We're top of the league anyway so far, if Tuchel gets it all to glue we can improve a lot still.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He's not done that badly, but Chelsea seem to have some sort of curse on big money strikers - Shevchenko, Werner, Torres, Morata, Batshuayi. Only Drogba and Costa have ever really clicked there of big name arrivals.
Anelka was more of a second striker most of the time, but he still counts and he was fantastic. Crespo was pretty decent in the short time he was here, but yeah we do have a laundry list of failed strikers.

Lukaku won't be one of them though. He hit the ground running, then hit a bit of a dry patch, but as I mentioned he's doing a lot of good things that goes unrewarded at the moment.

Smacky The Frog

Started out this season rooting for him but watching him semi-regularly has turned me into a hater. Does anyone actually enjoy watching Lukaku? Not highlights, or those fleeting moments where he turns into the player everyone imagines him to be, but actual full matches? He's the same frustrating player he's always been. A lumbering, uninspiring oaf 95% of the time who, if he doesn't score, just ambles around and barely does anything to help his teammates but point in a vague direction and moan when the pass doesn't reach his cement feet between the three defenders surrounding him because he hasn't moved. Hardly even bothers making runs in behind any more unless there's a counter, instead he wants to post up with his back to goal like it's 1990's NBA and he's Hakeem Olajuwon. Plays more like Andre Drummond.

Doesn't press, still terrible at hold up play, barely jumps for long balls. All he wants to do is score without putting any real effort into actually creating opportunities through his movement. The margin of error is so tight with a striker like this, everything coming into him has to be precise and if there's one thing this Chelsea team is lacking, it's that precision from their forwards (and also a bit of magic you get from the KDB, Salah, Bruno types). And yet, with these same players behind him, it feels like Werner gets about 3 to 4 great chances a game. He makes a mess of all of them, of course, but it shows that this team is not incapable of creating good chances.

I thought Chelsea's main problem last season under Tuchel wasn't creating chances, it was finishing them. Now they barely do either. Of course it's early days and it feels like Tuchel is still trying to figure out the right combination of his many talented but flaky forwards to put behind Lukaku (and their least flaky/most consistent one in Mount being off-form/unfit has been a huge loss), but Lukaku is a huge part of the problem. He almost always is, despite his numbers.

Looks very dangerous the other 5% of the time when everything is going right for him though, gotta give him that. World class.

arnie_ni

Winning games as a team is what actually matters though. Of all the €100m+ transfers, only Ronaldo to Madrid in 2009 can be classed as a total success. Quite a few of them have been totally disastrous.

Lukaku adds a different dimension to us as a team. How exactly we play to be the most effective with Lukaku, Tuchel is still figuring out though. 352 kind of works, can't fit Mount in the team as the main problem.

We're top of the league anyway so far, if Tuchel gets it all to glue we can improve a lot still.
Mount is shite anyway tbf

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
They've missed out Lingala as well - that takes him to 9.

Genuinely curious whether there are more professional footballers or more people who can speak 9 languages! I think I think the latter is probably more scarce but not sure?
They did list both Dutch and Flemish, which are the same (it's like saying you speak English and American) though.

8 is still pretty good off course :)

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
They did list both Dutch and Flemish, which are the same (it's like saying you speak English and American) though.

8 is still pretty good off course :)
Ah fair point! Totally overlooked that, great shout - definitely a bit odd to list both as you say! :)

Also, they haven't listed Havertz as speaking English - perhaps they want to avoid him saying feck on live TV multiple times again!

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Looking at that list really puts it into perspective how lazy us English are.

Does even the players who play/played abroad speak a different language?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

There was one for Real Madrid, which listed Bale's languages as just English. I've heard him do an interview in Spanish years ago.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
There was one for Real Madrid, which listed Bale's languages as just English. I've heard him do an interview in Spanish years ago.
Now that I think about it there's probably some input from the players - that'd make sense as they're the ones who'd be interviewed!

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.

Anglo people don't need to learn a second language(unless they live abroad for several years), so it's understandable why most only speak english.Even when you travel abroad as tourist, you can speak english to the hotel service room and in some tourist areas, they will understand in most cases.

I speak 3 languages, but i wouldn't have learned them if i wouldn't need them tbh.

It's all about needs, and anglo people isn't forced to learn a second language, the most relevant stuff out there it's in english.